LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
anything newish on lafayette news?

reports on how new searches are going?

what about gross tette, port allen, new roads? the missisippi river banks?

I suppose every avenue should be explored but I believe it's more likely, if she is deceased, her body is located somewhere in our vast waterways, swamps or wooded areas. This place isn't called Sportsman's Paradise for no reason. Even around the immediate Lafayette area there are acres and acres of dense woods. Plenty, plenty of places to discard a body unfortunately.

Agreed.

It would be much easier to get rid of a body in the swampy woods than in the underdeveloped sewer system. And to be honest, I think that's what happened :-/

But...the sewer angle is a possibility and given that there seems to be cameras, we have something to work on now. The manhole thing is a longggg shot but may point to why a decomposing body hasn't been found. Swamps, woods, and unthought-of sewer systems...there's a lot of ground to search.

Anyone know if those trained human cadaver dogs they brought in can sniff decomp out of a sewer? Maybe they read here...

ETA: And by "they read here" I of course meant the handlers, not the dogs.

Haven't said much....but, I just want to say, as a local.... yes, Mickey having gone missing has heightened our awareness of the crime in this city and has reminded us once again that human beings are capable of really bad things. But even more importantly, the support and energy and prayer that this city has brought about to find a young woman that most don't know at all has restored much of my faith in humanity. In particular everyone who has taken the time to physically search for her and all of you here who take real consideration and effort to solve this horrible crime even though nobody is paying you or congratulating you. It's easy to feel hopeless and scared in this world sometimes. It gives me great comfort for myself and my children that for every evil intentioned person out there- there are 10 times as many good, honest, loving people willing to sacrifice and care for nothing in return. Thanks to all of you:)

Mississippi, then Alabama, then Florida. But I think if this perp is a professional, we should consider they dumped the bike and went the other way, Texas, then Arizona, then New Mexico, then California. And lots of other roadways and interstates that intersect and go off in all directions.

I having been straining my neck and eyes in So. Cal. looking for the d*#n white truck with Louisiana plates, belieeeeeeeeeeeeeve you me!:woohoo:

Haven't said much....but, I just want to say, as a local.... yes, Mickey having gone missing has heightened our awareness of the crime in this city and has reminded us once again that human beings are capable of really bad things. But even more importantly, the support and energy and prayer that this city has brought about to find a young woman that most don't know at all has restored much of my faith in humanity. In particular everyone who has taken the time to physically search for her and all of you here who take real consideration and effort to solve this horrible crime even though nobody is paying you or congratulating you. It's easy to feel hopeless and scared in this world sometimes. It gives me great comfort for myself and my children that for every evil intentioned person out there- there are 10 times as many good, honest, loving people willing to sacrifice and care for nothing in return. Thanks to all of you:)

good point - as long as the good outnumber the bad

650 miles of collection lines

Lafayette's sewage system is made up of pipes, several feet wide most likely. The manholes are most likely so that if there is a break in the pipe, they can repair it without have to break the concrete. Think of it as an "access panel" for the road. I worked for a plumbing company for a long time and I remember seeing plans to cap the sewer lines at the old OLOL and I've seen the workers repairing these lines for a while now within the Saint's Street area. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm only saying what I've observed.

I just don't understand how they even know where to search -if they're not local - if they're not communicating with anyone.

Something's awry.

You're correct in suspecting that, even if these new groups are in touch with other volunteer searchers.

I've been following cases like this for two decades- mostly for personal reasons, occasionally for professional reasons- and it's definitely not uncommon for some search groups to attach themselves to a case for less than noble reasons.

As seen all over this forum, the public at large gives a great amount of respect to Texas Equusearch. People refer to that organization's director as "Tim," as if he was a personal friend. The same way some people idolize individuals involved with fire-fighting/law-enforcement/the military, search and rescue outfits have their own following. And unscrupulous types will take advantage of that.

I posted a link to one particularly egregious example earlier- Harry Oakes. He works near my hometown, and has long been considered a thorn in the side of people conducting traditional searches with cooperation from local authorities. And keep in mind that "thorn in the side" is not the same thing as fire underfoot:

http://tdn.com/business/local/check...cle_2737e7c1-8d59-533a-8589-7da052ca7c11.html

In the same vein, people should be informed that "not-for-profit" doesn't necessarily mean that the people involved aren't receiving any sort of pay at all. The term simply means that the involved organization has been approved as a 501 (c) (3) organization by the IRS. Such groups are considered tax-exempt, but are allowed to pay employees an annual salary. Surprisingly enough, there can be a significant amount of profit drummed up by a not-for-profit organization.

None of what I've said should belittle or undermine the good work done by many search and rescue organizations. I simply mean to clarify some points that might be confusing to people with no experience in the realm.

Lafayette's sewage system is made up of pipes, several feet wide most likely. The manholes are most likely so that if there is a break in the pipe, they can repair it without have to break the concrete. Think of it as an "access panel" for the road. I worked for a plumbing company for a long time and I remember seeing plans to cap the sewer lines at the old OLOL and I've seen the workers repairing these lines for a while now within the Saint's Street area. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm only saying what I've observed.

Yep, pipes, several feet wide. We had a piece of one as a play piece bolted down at my elementary school playground. Unused if course. The girls used it as a playhouse. Not expansive or sophisticated by any means. A cement structure, 4-5 feet wide. Not likely someone thought to go down in the sewer system to hide a body, and the size would make it tough. But not impossible.

I've always felt that the shoulder bag that MS had (as shown in the photos of her on her bike) could of caused an accident.

I had a school friend who got killed on his motorbike (slightly different but I think the same rule would apply) when a strap from a backpack he was wearing got lodged in his back wheel, it threw him onto the other side of the road where he was subsequently run over and killed.

Now if something similar happened or she just went over the handlebars in the same lane, could an unaware driver run her over - Could it be he/she didn't realise she was on the ground until they ran her over? - Being low to the ground would she be seen?

JMOO

Yep, pipes, several feet wide. We had a piece of one as a play piece bolted down at my elementary school playground. Unused if course. The girls used it as a playhouse. Not expansive or sophisticated by any means. A cement structure, 4-5 feet wide. Not likely someone thought to go down in the sewer system to hide a body, and the size would make it tough. But not impossible.

Well, by looking at this map, this is way over my head, but if Mickey isn't found soon, someone from Lafayette LE needs to at least look into it I guess.

On the topic of the SARS group there. Just because it was reported they are working independently of the LE don't let that get to you please. Out here The Klass foundation has been doing the same thing looking for Sierra. But they do talk to the LE and vice versa. I am sure this is happening with the group there right now. And I am positive it was being done when TES was there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nirvanita55