LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Think about this, if the perp was willing to drive 30 minutes from Lafayette to dump the bike, then draw a circle with Lafayette as the center and have the circle encompass all areas within a 30 minute drive. Lots of area to cover.
You must have been reading my mind!!! I think the searches may need to expand out in all directions and it's a searcher's nightmare unfortunately.

Not being wholly familiar with serial killers, I have to ask this of you who are experienced in tricky cases such as these as well as solved cases--do serial killers, or budding serial killers,as a generalization, hide their victims or leave them to be discovered after some searching/mind games? Is it only the "one time killers" that try to hide their victims? Can it vary, perp by perp, or is there a general pattern with few outliers?

Yes.

Re: Mildred guardrail, she wouldn't have been on that side of Johnston. That looks like a little park, with an embankment leading up to Johnston.

Re:Albert - yes, that's a coulee.

I'll say it again for emphasis: the coulees were all searched the first day or two she went missing. That's the very first place everyone thought to look. There were news photos of her friends riding bikes in them and local volunteers crawling up into tunnels.
Am I right, chicken, coulées are our version of drainage ditches or cricks, as they say in Mississippi?

The farmers may be checking their cane from the access roads but I doubt at this point they are driving tractors down through the crops unless they want to destroy them ... you do realize how tall the cane gets I assume??

IMO Farmers wouldn't be doing much in the fields now. Most finished fertilizing 2 - 3 weeks ago.

you are right. it's overwhelming to think of all the areas she could be. we need more leads

This seems to be the same in every case...there are simply too many places a body could be left, either hidden or otherwise and never be found...Marc Klass has talked about this, about how the world is a huge place and a body very small in comparison...

I do get very discouraged, following so many cases without a conclusion. I have been stuck on cases such as Kyron, Hailey Dunn, Haleigh C., Holly, Joshua, Lisa, Ayla, Aliayah, Lauren, Katelyn, Sierra, even back to Kara Kopetsy and many others, and none of them have ever been found. I find it more surprising if someone IS found...

I don't know how people survive losing a person in this way; I have lost both a brother and a sister, but I know what happened to them, and where they are now.

JMO

Actually you have to have a pretty large opening on some. In my neighborhood I found a puppy in the drainage outlet standing on a ledge, lg enough for me to get him out with a pet gate that I placed into the area, I was too scared and there was too much water. I could have crawled in.
TES found a man down an open manhole in Houston last year .. Kevin Gonterman. Was disturbed and climbed or jumped down in somehow and couldnt get out. IMO, I think TES saved his life.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/missing-ke...en-dehydrated-texas-manhole/story?id=14157610

Not being wholly familiar with serial killers, I have to ask this of you who are experienced in tricky cases such as these as well as solved cases--do serial killers, or budding serial killers,as a generalization, hide their victims or leave them to be discovered after some searching/mind games? Is it only the "one time killers" that try to hide their victims? Can it vary, perp by perp, or is there a general pattern with few outliers?

Serial killers are different from other killers, IMO. Often they have a "special" place to leave their victims so they can return to them, etc...a la Ted Bundy.

But from what I have seen, one-time killers known to the victim tend to hide bodies more than a random assailant who has no connection to the victim...the random killer isn't as worried about being associated or ever suspected.

MO

According to this report on Lafayette Consolidated Government:

Treating the city’s wastewater is a complex process
that requires strict adherence to a number of federal and
state regulations designed to protect public health and
the environment. LUS performs this important task
through four major wastewater treatment facilities, more
than 650 miles of collection lines, 11,498 manholes and
146 lift stations. Approximately 20-million gallons per
day of treated wastewater is returned to the Vermillion
River cleaner than the river itself.

See p.28 of the pdf. Now if we could just find a map.

http://www.lafayettela.gov/upload/images/lcg_annual_report_2010.pdf

It may be "cleaner," but it sure stinks. Hate to go by there in my boat. I hold my breath.

Great point! Most healthcare organizations are 501 (c)(3) entities, and there is definitely the potential for individual profit as an employee of one of those (doctor, nurse, administrator alike). The good news there is they do have to, to keep their status, report their highest paid and/or executive salaries regularly. So if someone wants to sleuth the motives of that team from a financial angle it should be easy.

I think the point to be made about the article was that his company's legal status was non-profit, but he'd charge people and wouldn't pay taxes on it. Non-profits who earn income via their services or products they sell (girl scout cookies), have to pay tax on it. If they receive a donation, they don't have to. He was charging people, which besides being a bit inappropriate for finding someone's missing loved one, would have been legal if he would've paid tax on it, but he did not. I think the article said he had a good track record in finding people though. Unless my eyes are tired and I read it wrong. I can deal with shady tax fraud if he can find her.

You are correct. The point I was trying to make was some people were reading that the SARS were doing this on their own . And not working with the LE at all. Iirc the volunteer search groups the core base were trained by TES. I know in Sierra's case the core group were trained by the Klass Kids Foundation.
OT- love to see someone from CA, especially Bay Area. My husband went to med school at UCSF, we moved to San Jose in 80s. Days off were: ? Choose- Tahoe, SF, Kepler's (Menlo Park,) Santa Cruz, Carmel, Big Sur? Homesick :-(

There isn't any new info to toss around right now, but there is one thing that keeps sticking out to me. Since I am not a local I may be off with this, but it really seems like the possible streets that MS took on her path home were all local streets. As in, would non locals have reason to be travelling on those streets at 2AM, none of them seem to be direct feeds towards the interstate. They seem like streets somebody would use to go home in the area, or be leaving a friends house from. IMO this has felt very local from the get go.
A side note that is noticeable in this case are the amount of RSO in the general area of her disappearance and LE not saying a word about checking them out (I know they are though). I can't remember the last young missing women where RSO's weren't thrown into the spotlight, at least for LE to say- yes were looking at them.
No reason that Ivan think of. It took me 2-3 years to travel them.

On the topic of the SARS group there. Just because it was reported they are working independently of the LE don't let that get to you please. Out here The Klass foundation has been doing the same thing looking for Sierra. But they do talk to the LE and vice versa. I am sure this is happening with the group there right now. And I am positive it was being done when TES was there.
I believe you are probably correct.

If mickey passed away I have no doubt that her body could be found anywhere ... But if she hasn't ... I don't think she would found around BR if I was trying to find something I would not put out evidence leading people to where I hid it ... I highly doubt that the perp lives around that area or would be holding mickey hostage in that area ... I don't understand why it so unreasonable to think that they would try and lead people in the wrong direction think about it he knows that he looking at major jail time for what ever hes done or planned to do what's 30/40 mins out of the way to him nothing except a higher chances of not getting caught!!! I think there needs to be more searches done in the opposite dirrection of her bike!!!!!!!! I ment to say hide Something ... On a cell phone an I'm not to good at typing on this thing!

You must have been reading my mind!!! I think the searches may need to expand out in all directions and it's a searcher's nightmare unfortunately.
Swamps...forever hiding...ugh

I think the point to be made about the article was that his company's legal status was non-profit, but he'd charge people and wouldn't pay taxes on it. Non-profits who earn income via their services or products they sell (girl scout cookies), have to pay tax on it. If they receive a donation, they don't have to. He was charging people, which besides being a bit inappropriate for finding someone's missing loved one, would have been legal if he would've paid tax on it, but he did not. I think the article said he had a good track record in finding people though. Unless my eyes are tired and I read it wrong. I can deal with shady tax fraud if he can find her.

While TES probably has a better track record and is better known than other such groups, their stats are a little misleading, IMO. Many of the people who have been found alive had left on their own, and as TES was involved in some way during the search process, they seem to include those people in their figures. I looked up a lot of the cases today on their site where the people were found alive, and a few were found who had medical conditions and were rescued in time, but I can't find any cases where TES located a live missing person (not counting someone who left on their own) after more than a few days of being missing.

Still, they seem to be best in the business, and certainly bring a lot of cases to closure by finding deceased victims.

JMO

I don't think serial killers can really be pigeon-holed as far as patterns IMO. Take Derrick Todd Lee for example, some victims he left in their homes in plain view and some he transported to other locations in an apparent attempt to hide the bodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member