LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is important to remember that Elizabeth Smart was taken to another town(s) in Utah; I think over 27 miles away. There is also lots of old abandoned outhouses,slave-quarters, etc in rural Louisiana; it would be very hard (but needed) for LE to go check out every seemingly old abandoned additions to people's homes down here.

slowlybutshelly, the abductor/s could not be sure that the incident wasn't witnessed, nor did they know that it would be several hours before LE would be investigating her disappearance.

Imo if a person is going to drive 30 miles to dispose of a bicycle to prevent being caught with it in their possession, then they may drive even further to dispose of a victim.

The comment or claim of an abandoned dually white truck, with a dented hood, being hauled in on the wrecker is very curious, if true. The proximity of Lake Charles and the lack of a follow up comment by the poster is puzzling.

No evidence to me means no vehicle marks, no MS tracks, no MS scent from dogs. That is good news. BUT how many miles upstream and downstream did they check? and on the other side of the bank?

I agree. This is regading where the bike was found area I believe.

If I was in the area and I had access to a boat, I would be checking near the shorelines (both sides) upstream a little, and downstream a LOT. The reason being is because here we have a confirmed piece of evidence found (the bike), so why not totally search way downstream. I have seen too many stories of people capsising while fishing, and being found way downstream.

I know LE said they searched the immediate area, however, 2 things come to mind when I heard that.

#1 - They easily could have missed her if the current carried her downstream. Even a small mild current can easily move a large object.

#2 - A lot of people don't realize how far downstream things can carry. I have seen stories of capsized fisherman being found 3 miles downstream. They usually are found near the shorelines, tangled up in the brush near the bank.

So, if I was in the area, and I had access to a boat, this is where I would look first. The bicycle being there is huge to me.
JMO of course.

P.S. I have been praying for her to be found soon, and will continue to do so.

Quick thought....Chicken said the guard at the hospital said Mickey "sassed" her when she told her she shouldn't be riding on private property, what if she took a short cut somewhere else, was warned and sassed them back. Maybe they weren't as nice as the guard at OLOL....

I have been thinking a lot lately, how do you save a family from the aftereffects of something like this?

It can't be done! Time, a lot of it, will teach them to live around this experience but it will always be there.

Thinking of Mickey and hoping today will bring some answers!

A job, three kids and a hubby who is hogging my computer all the time lately prevents me from posting often on this case, but I read every chance I get. I cannot imagine what Mickey's family is going through.

Please find Mickey today!

It can't be done! Time, a lot of it, will teach them to live around this experience but it will always be there.

You are so right Isabelle, it can't be done. It's been almost seven years since my BIL drowned under mysterious circumstances and almost five since my second BIL drowned in the exact same place. As a family, you learn to live again, but the holes in heart are ALWAYS there. My thoughts and prayers are with Mickey's family, I hope they get the support they need to make it through.

Watching searchers drag a river is something a family should NEVER be subjected to, it's a terrible thing to watch. And I don't know which is worse, the searchers not recovering anything or the searchers finding your loved one. I guess the not knowing is worse, but then the finality of it all when your loved one is recovered is terrible. It's a lose/lose situation either way you look at it.

Does anyone know if the K-9 team is searching today?

IMO, JMO, :moo:, and all other disclaimers...

Also, I know Google guy is several years old but down on St. Landry on the corner of Henry, is a four door Z71 parked in the driveway on St. Landry side. Maybe check and see if the truck and owners still live there, still have the truck and if anything seems suspicious?
I do think she is a blur on the photo behind the hooptie in the St. Landry/Hooptie photo.
The back tire just jumps out at me. So, I think she made it down Landry to her usual left and towards Johnston. She was moving at a pretty good clip, she had to stop on purpose, maybe for a stop light?
I also -cannot get myself to leave that hospital alone...an empty hospital just seems so vast and kind of cut off from sight or suspect. It seems kind of cliche' like Whiskey Bay. Like out of a bad novel. But, I think we are dealing with an older demented/mentally ill person and not some perverted drunk oil rig guy. It needs looked at again.. Hospital rooms, laundry rooms, utility closets, basement?
Is that a coulee that runs underneath the hospital? :(
-----------
My bold. You mean someone like this, right?

Since our discussion yesterday about the middle-age man in the white truck giving the bicyclist a ride...

I've often posted about this case, whenever people dismiss an older guy being harmless:

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/...ssault/suburban-sex-slaves/john-jamelske.html

Unlike other rapists and kidnappers, John T. Jamelske was not terribly picky about the age of his victims. During the 20-plus years of his criminal activities he kidnapped women aged from 14 to 53. But fortunately for the women, he was sometimes sloppy, allowing one of his victims to make the phone call that ultimately led to his capture.

From 1988 to 2001, Jamelske, who had become a millionaire through real estate investments, kidnapped and lured women off the street. He would hold them captive in his home as sex slaves for years at a time and then, simply let them go. Unbelievably, he was married and living in with a wife when this took place. She never knew.

Regarding bodies in water: it's true, unless weighted down a body would eventually surface. The nearby waterways are so vast and uninhabited/untravelled by humans, however, it easily could go undetected in the swamp.
Again, I am reminded of Laci Peterson .. weighted down .. her unborn baby and her torso separately washes ashore on SF bay.

eta: I think it was 3-4 months later.

Also, I had to take a sleep aid last night. I woke up twice from a dream where I was seeing HUGE headlines in print about what happened to Mickey. Let's see if something happens today.

I too woke up twice from a dream where the news was blasting headlines about who did it, but woke up before the part that they got to what they did. In both dreams it was a woman, and they found her because she had gotten herself in some other sort of trouble.

I know dreams are evidence of the subconscious, but I really didn't see that coming.

-----------
My bold. You mean someone like this, right?

Since our discussion yesterday about the middle-age man in the white truck giving the bicyclist a ride...

I've often posted about this case, whenever people dismiss an older guy being harmless:

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/...ssault/suburban-sex-slaves/john-jamelske.html

Unlike other rapists and kidnappers, John T. Jamelske was not terribly picky about the age of his victims. During the 20-plus years of his criminal activities he kidnapped women aged from 14 to 53. But fortunately for the women, he was sometimes sloppy, allowing one of his victims to make the phone call that ultimately led to his capture.

From 1988 to 2001, Jamelske, who had become a millionaire through real estate investments, kidnapped and lured women off the street. He would hold them captive in his home as sex slaves for years at a time and then, simply let them go. Unbelievably, he was married and living in with a wife when this took place. She never knew.

Wow. That is crazy.

Did they ever explain how a 14 year old girl could go missing and then show up after 3 years, not report the abduction, and no one think anything out of the ordinary had happened? Did she say she ran away?

My husband is going to tell neighboring farmers and the mill to be aware-buzzards, check farm buildings, ditches, cane rows, etc.
Son's fiancée is doing the same.

I think the vehicle they showed in the video is a Yukon, but I'm not sure and I haven't a clue as to whether a Yukon's parts could be swapped with a Silverado's.

Still, that's a really strange story and an odd list of stolen items, especially from the vehicle.

The still?

Depending on the part there, both the Yukon and the Silverado are manufactured by GM. The Yukon has a similar body to the Tahoe, not the Silverado.

Most vehicles made today are interchangeable; that's most, not all.

The still?

Depending on the part there, both the Yukon and the Silverado are manufactured by GM. The Yukon has a similar body to the Tahoe, not the Silverado.

Most vehicles made today are interchangeable; that's most, not all.

What about the pressure washers? What are the for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne