LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I imagine you know the downtown area and all of its particulars pretty well. If you had to guess, knowing the location and routes Mickey took as she left 100 Ryan, what do you guesstimate the chances are of her encountering trouble that may have bled over from the downtown area?

Also as for her chance of encountering trouble, MS was incredibly naive to ride her bike at that hour. I couldn't put percentages but there is a good chance something bad happens to a young woman alone at that time in that area if she does his frequently.

And Mickey knew the risks. She checked her mace before she left. She took a route one mile longer than simply going down Congress. Had she just taken Congress from Ryan, the route was shorter but it was the edge of a bad neighborhood. But the road is very well traveled with a sidewalk all the way. The irony is that she apparently avoided that stretch of Congress for safety reasons when she probably would have been safer given the high traffic of he street.

Unfortunately given the times, everyone should be on guard for their safety, especially beautiful young women like Mickey. My hope is that the perp is some weirdo who asked women for sex in exchange for money and abducted Mickey for tht reason and she is still alive. And it makes me sick to have to hope for this, but it's the only scenario that I see ending well.

I see the person getting something out of trunk or something ......same car as parked on edge of street in pic of her on bike? Ad for the one with what looks like a shadow of a street light going into it. What is that?

I wanted to let Island Hopper know that I had thought there might be a white truck in the hooptie photo. If that's what that enlargement was, then I want to revise my saying I didn't see it.

Sheesh.

Madame chairman, I reserve the right to revise and extend my remarks.

lol

I see the person getting something out of trunk or something ......same car as parked on edge of street in pic of her on bike? Ad for the one with what looks like a shadow of a street light going into it. What is that?

I need pictures with arrows pointing to what you're talking about on that last part.

Also as for her chance of encountering trouble, MS was incredibly naive to ride her bike at that hour. I couldn't put percentages but there is a good chance something bad happens to a young woman alone at that time in that area if she does his frequently.

And Mickey knew the risks. She checked her mace before she left. She took a route one mile longer than simply going down Congress. Had she just taken Congress from Ryan, the route was shorter but it was the edge of a bad neighborhood. But the road is very well traveled with a sidewalk all the way. The irony is that she apparently avoided that stretch of Congress for safety reasons when she probably would have been safer given the high traffic of he street.

Unfortunately given the times, everyone should be on guard for their safety, especially beautiful young women like Mickey. My hope is that the perp is some weirdo who asked women for sex in exchange for money and abducted Mickey for tht reason and she is still alive. And it makes me sick to have to hope for this, but it's the only scenario that I see ending well.

That neighborhood across Congress from the Parkside intersection has always concerned me and I would imagine Mickey knew that even being on Congress for that short stretch until she could reach University was still high risk. I know I wouldn't ride there, a female alone, after dark, especially at 2 am. I've also been concerned from the beginning that she may have been watched from the old Langlinais store right there across from Parkside, right on Congress. There are always cars parked there with people in them, just watching, at night.

The flashers on her wheels would have identified her if there were loiterers there on a consistent basis, just watching.

Bottom line, it was a really bad area for a young lady to be alone at 2 am, no matter how well she prepared herself.

That neighborhood across Congress from the Parkside intersection has always concerned me and I would imagine Mickey knew that even being on Congress for that short stretch until she could reach University was still high risk. I know I wouldn't ride there, a female alone, after dark, especially at 2 am. I've also been concerned from the beginning that she may have been watched from the old Langlinais store right there across from Parkside, right on Congress. There are always cars parked there with people in them, just watching, at night.

The flashers on her wheels would have identified her if there were loiterers there on a consistent basis, just watching.

Bottom line, it was a really bad area for a young lady to be alone at 2 am, no matter how well she prepared herself.

Is there anything where the store used to be? People just sit in their cars checking **** out?

Is there anything where the store used to be? People just sit in their cars checking **** out?

If you do google earth, corner of Parkside and Congress streets, you will get a really good idea of what it's like. The store is still there. The parking lot is right off the street. If you back in, you can sit there and see down Parkside at the intersection with Ryan.

And there are always people parked there, late at night.

eta: yes, they sit there checking things out. It's a great place late at night to look for a target; so many people head right past there leaving the downtown area when the bars close.

I think the store is still open. At least it was about a year ago when I went in for a second. There's hardly anything in there. They were selling plate lunches and that was about it.

I've never noticed people in the prking lot at night but that's not that unusual.

I think the store is still open. At least it was about a year ago when I went in for a second. There's hardly anything in there. They were selling plate lunches and that was about it.

I've never noticed people in the prking lot at night but that's not that unusual.

I lived at 101 Ryan across the street from BW's in the 80's. It was a bad neighborhood then, and the cars sat there at night like clockwork, watching.

Is Congress the N/S divider in Lafayette?

In one of the articles about the LPD lawsuit, it talked about the north side being high crime and how the city was trying to whitewash that and actually trying to re-brand it as "North Lafayette". I'm assuming this is the ghetto?

There are always cars parked there with people in them, just watching, at night.

How totally weird. Has anyone ever talked about them or asked them why they're there and what they're looking for?

I lived at 101 Ryan across the street from BW's in the 80's. It was a bad neighborhood then, and the cars sat there at night like clockwork, watching.

Jeez, that is creepy.

How totally weird. Has anyone ever talked about them or asked them why they're there and what they're looking for?

Seems like the something that the store owners should be asking the cops to do but the store owners may be like the patrons.

These aren't people you walk up to and ask what they're doing. Drug deals? I would guess yes. Just people up to no good, looking for trouble. Cars that look just like the hooptie in the surveillance are the type you would see there, with numerous passengers.

Seems like the something that the store owners should be asking the cops to do but the store owners may be like the patrons.

Congress Street, in that stretch, is the edge of what is known at The Block, a notoriously bad area of town, REALLY bad, where you would never want to be lost. It has been that way my entire life and gotten worse through the years. Stabbings, murders, gunshots, crack houses, prostitution ...really bad area. It really doesn't even come alive until the sun goes down.

Congress Street, in that stretch, is the edge of what is known at The Block, a notoriously bad area of town, REALLY bad, where you would never want to be lost. It has been that way my entire life and gotten worse through the years. Stabbings, murders, gunshots, crack houses, prostitution ...really bad area. It really doesn't even come alive until the sun goes down.

Is that the north side?

Is Congress the N/S divider in Lafayette?

In one of the articles about the LPD lawsuit, it talked about the north side being high crime and how the city was trying to whitewash that and actually trying to re-brand it as "North Lafayette". I'm assuming this is the ghetto?

North Lafayette is generally what is considered east and north of University Avenue but incorporates some of the areas surrounding the downtown area, including the Cameron Street area, Louisiana Ave, Surrey St, Simcoe Street, etc and places north of I-10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasApril87