LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, not too far-fetched but what is the likelihood that the perp would hang around and wait while MS rode her bike over to BW's house, drove over to Taco Bell and drove back to BW's house, then left BW's on her bike. How would the perp know she would be coming back to BW's and then would be leaving again to begin with if he was a stranger perp/serial killer? The scenario before MS began her bike ride home was pretty cumbersome imo for a stranger perp to have spotted her at Artmosphere and then continued to keep his focus on her after she got on a bike along with a male friend and began riding away.

Usually they lure the victim in or it's a quick random attack.

We know there are cameras at Artmosphere (that's how they know the time MS entered and left there) along with video that was taken by the band - they said it like that, 'the band'. Do they mean a representative of the band or a band member took it while they were on break? They mentioned specifically that the video was taken on the back patio area at Artmosphere.

Mickey and BW were planning to move to New Orleans very shortly. I did it when I was 19 for a short time. New Orleans has a draw if you live in Lafayette; it's like Lafayette's big sister. You want to spread your wings a bit in the big city. They were at the perfect age and time in their lives to do that.

What if someone they knew had done the same thing and headed back home to Lafayette for the performance at Artmosphere. Already knew the crowd and the routine.

I don't have any answers for your questions about the photos taken at Artmosphere. :(

Just to clear things up, I ran the plates on the abandoned white truck and found out what the deal is. It's absolutely nothing. Nothing suspicious going on and not related in any way shape or form.

So disappointed, God I hoped this was the break.

Thank goodness that we have a legitimate PI; A.C.I. to verify info, huh? That other guy is a media *advertiser censored*.. Sorry for the language...Guess, he is good for awareness and he will prolly be an expert pundit on JVM or NG next week...'screamin the truth as he sees it'...

I see the stolen bike as someone messing with BW, like 'you're on my radar and I can get to you anytime I want.'

I agree. Why would you steal a bike just to hide it somewhere? Bikes - especially the ones enthusiast bikers ride - are very expensive. Wouldn't thieves typically want to steal a bike (a) to use it for their own use or (b) to sell it for money? I would think if a bike was ditched, it was either broken or someone was trying to send the owner of the bike a message. (I'm talking about BW's bike, not Mickeys.)

Just to clear things up, I ran the plates on the abandoned white truck and found out what the deal is. It's absolutely nothing. Nothing suspicious going on and not related in any way shape or form.

Thanks for doing that. I think we were all wishing this was something related or at least I was, it seems like it's been ages since we've heard anything.

For what it's worth, Mickey's Missing flier is (or at least was like a week ago) posted in shops and bars all over the French Quarter, so people - at least in the Quarter - have kind of heard about or "seen" her case. The flier does NOT include a pic of the DWT, however.

The flyers are all over the rest of the city, as well.

If this would be the vehicle LE is searching for, I hope that the license plates have not been switched numerous times.
Also makes me wonder about help because if you abandon a vehicle, unless you're hitchhiking, you need a ride.

The license plate theory is very possible. I was a juror on a murder trail where the defendant went to an oilfield parking, lot where workers left their vehicles while they went offshore, and stole a plate from a truck that matched his. However, the vin # on the truck would be tied to the registraion on that vehicle, so the perp could still be identified!

I agree. Why would you steal a bike just to hide it somewhere? Bikes - especially the ones enthusiast bikers ride - are very expensive. Wouldn't thieves typically want to steal a bike (a) to use it for their own use or (b) to sell it for money? I would think if a bike was ditched, it was either broken or someone was trying to send the owner of the bike a message. (I'm talking about BW's bike, not Mickeys.)

Was it a very distinctive bike? Maybe whoever stole it didn't realize it'd be easily identifiable and when they figured it out, they dumped it.

Sending a message or just screwing with someone? Being a bully?

Maybe this was not about targeting BW himself, but cyclists? Hipsters?
How many others had gotten their bikes stolen recently?

Thanks for doing that. I think we were all wishing this was something related or at least I was, it seems like it's been ages since we've heard anything.

what if the plates have been switched so it wouldnt come up as connected? how would we find out? and how would it pan out if that the case?

what if the plates have been switched so it wouldnt come up as connected? how would we find out? and how would it pan out if that the case?

VIN numbers...

But if ACI says it's not related, I'll trust and say that he's checked.

WOW....Not the info I wanted to hear.......but thankful to you for giving us the facts so we don't keep chasing our tail with this theory!

It's my understanding LE found the bike in the bushes. (That cemetery borders the whole of LE's downtown facilities, very close in proximity.) Shortly after they found it they checked Bike-Lafayette's FB page to see if anything about it may have been posted there and whadya know, there was! They left a message on the 'keep your eyes open for this bike' FB thread saying they'd found it and included a number where they could be reached.

I don't know if the bike was registered but I would say probably so. It is a law here that bikes have to be registered although many don't.

I don't think it was ditched because the thief saw LE and ditched it. I really think it was someone sending BW a message.

The regular normal young people around here wouldn't do something like that. If it was someone with nefarious intent, then I would say yes. To send a message, yes. (Message could be anything, some old high school grudge, an acknowledgement of a personal slight by BW in the past, anything. No way to know.)

I haven't heard BW publicly comment on the theft of the bike.

I don't know about an upcoming ride.

I just don't know what to think. Someone found the bike in a bush in a graveyard? Or was it found by someone who turned it into LE and then the cop went through the bike club facebook to contact the owner?
Was the bike registered?
Was it advertised found on FB or did they already know whose bike it was?
BW went to pick it up at the station so somebody must have brought it there from out under the bush.

Someone could have taken the bike (from his backyard or where?), was riding it down the street, saw a cop coming before he got too far out of the neighborhood, so ditched it in the nearest bush and stayed there until the cop passed and continued on foot.

Are young people around there known for sending subliminal messages of things to come? Has BW expressed concern that the bike incident could be connected to MS's disappearance? Is it too late to dust the bike for prints?

Now wait, did someone already say this? Was there a bike ride/event coming up the following day or so where whoever took BW's bike wanted BW to stay behindi with the hope that only MS would show up to ride?

Could the WT could have been a rental... Maybe the perp knew how popular they were..... Just a thought.

I don't know that anyone potentially stalking MS would see BW as a threat towards that. He isn't exactly an imposing presence or anything. If I were a stalker looking to kill, I'd just abduct and kill both if it came to that.

Could the WT could have been a rental... Maybe the perp knew how popular they were..... Just a thought.

Rentals can still be traced if you have a license plate number. That is how you still get a ticket if you run a toll booth in a rental car.

I read this today and though it was an astounding fact...
In 1961, 93% of murders were solved. In 2009, only 62% of them were.

Where are those stats from? Very disturbing. Makes me think that militarization of police (since 9/11), and the making of the American people the enemy (Homeland Security agenda) has taken the focus off of real police work. While police departments are being corrupted with federal dollars and engaging in all kinds of 'terrorism' exercises, murder cases are getting fewer resources, perhaps. Dunno, but that is a HUGE drop in percentage of cases solved.

Sending a message or just screwing with someone? Being a bully?

Maybe this was not about targeting BW himself, but cyclists? Hipsters?
How many others had gotten their bikes stolen recently?

I'm thinking along these lines too, as far as targeting hipsters for no other reason than a different lifestyle.

I can see where a macho bully type would have disdain for someone like BW.

I'd hope LE would have reasonable cause to send the K9 dog unit to that East Texas motel. They know Mickey's scent and could determine if she were ever in that truck. I also assume LE will search that hotel. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rsteen