LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where are those stats from? Very disturbing. Makes me think that militarization of police (since 9/11), and the making of the American people the enemy (Homeland Security agenda) has taken the focus off of real police work. While police departments are being corrupted with federal dollars and engaging in all kinds of 'terrorism' exercises, murder cases are getting fewer resources, perhaps. Dunno, but that is a HUGE drop in percentage of cases solved.

I see your point, but I think the reality is that the physical and cultural landscape of the country has changed dramatically in that time.

Think about it: There are far more murders now than in the 1960s (I know we're speaking in percentages, but bear with me), making it understandably harder for LE to keep up. Population growth and increases in urban crime mean there are people generally and more criminals specifically. There's more anonymity among people these days, too. Couple that with the fact that you don't have significantly more LE officials, and you've got a recipe for unsolved cases. Beyond that, criminals have easier access to very dangerous weapons (no, I am not decrying the 2nd Amendment here). Not sure where the numbers are coming from, but I can understand how there would be fewer missing persons cases solved now than in the '60s.

Sending a message or just screwing with someone? Being a bully?

Maybe this was not about targeting BW himself, but cyclists? Hipsters?
How many others had gotten their bikes stolen recently?
_______
There are 2 other bikes that have gone missing according to posts on the Bike Club page...

This one was taken after BW's and before MS went missing:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3582700719261&set=o.183125245071172&type=1

This one was on May 1st..
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150693077267085&set=o.183125245071172&type=1

Seems like a lot of bikes get stolen in Laffy :maddening:

If it is here in Beaumont (or a surrounding city), I may be able to give some details about the motel.

Just to clear things up, I ran the plates on the abandoned white truck and found out what the deal is. It's absolutely nothing. Nothing suspicious going on and not related in any way shape or form.

Hey ACI,
Thanks for your update. Did you run the plates on an on-line site? if so, which site do you recommend?
Thanks!
Nola

Another article said the town is about 200 miles from Lafayette, so I am guessing Baytown.

Hey ACI,
Thanks for your update. Did you run the plates on an on-line site? if so, which site do your recommend?
Thanks!
Nola

Not ACI here!! LOL
We use publicdata.com for our dealership, it is a membership site, but is very well updated. HTH

If it is Baytown - Baytown is a pretty decent place. It is literally right outside of Houston and from what I have observed, most of the crime has stayed in Houston. I think it is a pretty safe, quiet place. There is a small mall and some restaurants. I think of it as kind of a "pass through" city. You stop there to use the bathroom, get gas, and eat on your way to wherever you are really going. There is one main street where everything is - Garth Rd.

I am still thinking random, except for the lack of any evidence at whatever spot she was taken...that sort of implies possible willingness, as though maybe she was invited someplace on the spur of the moment and agreed to go. But unlikely, if she tired, not feeling great, it was late, etc...

It is hard to picture a quick strike of multiple perps, scooping up Mickey and her bike, yet it seems as though this is probably what happened. Knock her down with the vehicle, jump out and grab her before she can get up, and another guy grabs her bike and throws it into the (probable) truck. And all out of range of any cameras or witnesses.

Your post made me think of something. Charlie said that Mickey was looking forward to the night of May 18th and hearing the band that played at Artmosphere that night. Charlie came to town the the day before and maybe the sisters partied too much as a result. But why, if MS had been looking forward to the 18th, did she allow herself to party too much the the night before?

BW stated that MS began saying she was hungry at around 11PM yet they had just gotten there at 10:13PM. Doesn't that seem odd? Could the atmosphere at Artmosphere, despite the band who MS was looking forward to seeing, been tainted for some reason? Could it be that someone who was present made her uncomfortable, someone she never expected to see there? Why show up to an event you've been looking forward to and want to leave before the first hour is over? She ended up staying until past 1AM but still, it sounds as if something was off with her that night.

Of course her friends would know more about this but maybe they have to keep hushed for obvious reasons - pointing a suspected finger at somebody who may be innocent. I want to know if LE noted any troubling interactions from the band's video. They mentioned it and took the time to look at it. :waitasec: Also, why didn't MS eat earlier or order something there? Why was she anxious to beat feet and what convinced her to stay?

Yes, that's it --but looks like it's turning out to be a false lead.

Even though I knew the site (1st linked) wasn't a reputable source...and even though I knew the region is filled with similar trucks...I had a bit of hope and excitement that I didn't even realize was there until it was gone, that this news would blow the case wide open. I can't imagine how her family is surviving. I mean intellectually I do, but I just can't put myself in their shoes.

After learning you have to register your bike in some cities, I'm reminded that most criminals are not very smart. I don't want to waste my time wondering why people do what they do when, in reality, there is just no rhyme or reason to a lot of crimes.

Hey ACI,
Thanks for your update. Did you run the plates on an on-line site? if so, which site do you recommend?
Thanks!
Nola

also, what ended up being the deal with the abandoned truck at the east texas motel? whats the jist of the story?

I see your point, but I think the reality is that the physical and cultural landscape of the country has changed dramatically in that time.

Think about it: There are far more murders now than in the 1960s (I know we're speaking in percentages, but bear with me), making it understandably harder for LE to keep up. Population growth and increases in urban crime mean there are people generally and more criminals specifically. There's more anonymity among people these days, too. Couple that with the fact that you don't have significantly more LE officials, and you've got a recipe for unsolved cases. Beyond that, criminals have easier access to very dangerous weapons (no, I am not decrying the 2nd Amendment here). Not sure where the numbers are coming from, but I can understand how there would be fewer missing persons cases solved now than in the '60s.

I agree. Not to mention lack of scientific evidence back then probably led to more wrongful convictions - cases did not need to be airtight. Also, lack of media may have led to a number of murders going unreported.

Just to clear things up, I ran the plates on the abandoned white truck and found out what the deal is. It's absolutely nothing. Nothing suspicious going on and not related in any way shape or form.

The one in Texas or Lafayette?!

Um ok. I suppose it is silly to try to get something as important as a truck which was seen on the same street that Mickey disappeared on within three minutes.

Since my input, thoughts and ideas in trying to find Mickey is unwanted and not needed, I will back away from her thread and just pray that her friends and family get the answers that they need.

:truce:
Nah...don't stop posting and don't take anything that goes on around here personally. It doesn't matter if you've got 1 post under your belt or 10,000 ... EVERYONE'S thoughts and comments are JUST as important as the next guys. Personally, I respect any and all input on this case and all the cases. Sometimes a post will engage a lot of conversation but more often than not...your post may get lost in shuffle. Don't take it personal. I've been around here a while now and most of my comments get lost in the sometimes rapid movement of the threads. Hope my last post about the WT didn't discourage you...I'm just worn out with the WT thing. I've got my thoughts on it and everyone else has their thoughts as well. Don't mean ANY of us have the "corner on that market"!!! Post on fellow sleuther!!!

Your post made me think of something. Charlie said that Mickey was looking forward to the night of May 18th and hearing the band that played at Artmosphere that night. Charlie came to town the the day before and maybe the sisters partied too much as a result. But why, if MS had been looking forward to the 18th, did she allow herself to party too much the the night before?

BW stated that MS began saying she was hungry at around 11PM yet they had just gotten there at 10:13PM. Doesn't that seem odd? Could the atmosphere at Artmosphere, despite the band who MS was looking forward to seeing, been tainted for some reason? Could it be that someone who was present made her uncomfortable, someone she never expected to see there? Why show up to an event you've been looking forward to and want to leave before the first hour is over? She ended up staying until past 1AM but still, it sounds as if something was off with her that night.

Of course her friends would know more about this but maybe they have to keep hushed for obvious reasons - pointing a suspected finger at somebody who may be innocent. I want to know if LE noted any troubling interactions from the band's video. They mentioned it and took the time to look at it. :waitasec: Also, why didn't MS eat earlier or order something there? Why was she anxious to beat feet and what convinced her to stay?

These are the lines along which I am thinking also.

This one in particular: "Could it be that someone who was present made her uncomfortable, someone she never expected to see there?"

If the abduction was not random, if she were the specific target, it stands to reason it may have originated in some way at Artmosphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kendybee