LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there guards there? Does anyone know for sure one way or the other?

I know someone who lives nearby. They have complained about beggars coming up to them in their driveway and asking for money. They said that they hangout at the old hospital. I have passed there several times and have never seen a security guard, but have seen small congregations of young scruffy looking adults on bikes.

Does anyone know how well the camps were searched in the area? Hunting as well as fishing? Many only accessible by boat. I'm thinking there is a chance she is being held. Disposing of the bike was to get rid of any clue as to where she was being held.

A poster mentioned earlier could be a hate crime. I'm more inclined to believe that.

If I caught that drift right, yeah it coulda been that. That makes this even sadder IMO. I've wondered about that for awhile. Not the hate crime part if you KWIM, just maybe someone who was rejected, and I don't mean BW. JMO

No just got in from Nola, I'll look in am. It reminded me of Jeff Davis killer & comments from people. 'party girls' 'girls with 'high risk' lifestyles. Every woman, as has been said before, is someone's daughter, mother, sister. No one deserves to die because they didn't take a choice, or have or see a choice to live. Different life...there but for the grace of God...

Donamena, I agree that every person is someones child, does not deserve to die, and deserves dignity. With that said, certain members of society are at a higher risk of becoming victims of violent crime.

With the exception of their friends & families, homicide victim's names are seldom remembered. If you ask anyone to name serial killers, they can name many, usually Ted Bundy's name will be near the top of their list. Then ask them for the name of any of his innocent victims. You will only get silence.

http://www.athenaresearchgroup.org/thelessdead.htm

The Less Dead - Athena Research Group

Most important is the idea of who can be a potential victim. This isn’t to say that serial killers are lurking around every corner waiting to strike (they aren’t). But some individuals are more at risk for victimization than others.

Research would seem to indicate that certain segments of the population are more likely to be victimized than others. These segments are more likely to be marginalized members of society:
read more-

Another morning where I wake up and come to websleuths hoping to read that Mickey's been found. Another morning where that's not the case.

Where are you Mickey?

Another morning where I wake up and come to websleuths hoping to read that Mickey's been found. Another morning where that's not the case.

Where are you Mickey?

ktgirl, sadly we all awake to this reality and learn of other missing persons or innocent victims of sexual predators. Where will it end, or when will this tragic epidemic even slow down? What brought us to this point in our civilized society, where our daughters are only disposable objects for other's sexual pleasure entertainment?

With the many available resources in missing persons investigations of today. Why is it that seldom are these predators identified or arrested for years or decades, while their innocent victim totals keep mounting up?

Too many unanswered questions related to the Silent Epidemic of the missing..

"Here's the NCIC stats for 2010, anyone have the 2011 numbers"? 'This is June 2012, they should be available'..

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nc...n-and-unidentified-person-statistics-for-2010

I've been searching Google News for any Sunday morning updates, but I haven't come across any new articles about Mickey yet today.

Also, no updates this morning on the Find Mickey Now FB page or on Charlie's personal FB. I suppose folks might be at church, though, so maybe Charlie will update later today.

Actually I think there was something in the Advertiser? I saw someone posted on Charlie's FB this morning, about the info in the Advertiser not being legit. Figured I would just find out here, but no one has posted. I'll go check.

eta: I'm guessing it's the 50k figure: http://www.theadvertiser.com/articl...give-back-?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE since it says that's a Daily Advertiser figure and not able to be checked against.

I've been searching Google News for any Sunday morning updates, but I haven't come across any new articles about Mickey yet today.

Also, no updates this morning on the Find Mickey Now FB page or on Charlie's personal FB. I suppose folks might be at church, though, so maybe Charlie will update later today.

FIND MICKEY SHUNICK NOW

We're seeing an amazing show of volunteers this Sunday at Blackham Coliseum and we would love to see you come and join in the efforts to Bring Mickey Shunick Home! We'll be out here searching until 4pm thanks to everyone who has and will come out we appreciate you folks!

FIND MICKEY SHUNICK NOW

We're seeing an amazing show of volunteers this Sunday at Blackham Coliseum and we would love to see you come and join in the efforts to Bring Mickey Shunick Home! We'll be out here searching until 4pm thanks to everyone who has and will come out we appreciate you folks!

That's great. I was really hoping there would be one last amazing turnout today--although there wasn't some super huge announcement that the volunteer searches would be ending, that would have helped I think. Pretty bummed I can't go because I have a very sick child. Woke up being puked on. YUCK!

That's great. I was really hoping there would be one last amazing turnout today--although there wasn't some super huge announcement that the volunteer searches would be ending, that would have helped I think. Pretty bummed I can't go because I have a very sick child. Woke up being puked on. YUCK!

Sorry about your sick child.

I am simply amazed at the perserverance of the community volunteers/searchers. I was stationed in Ft. Polk LA for Army basic training & AIT, and the summer heat & humidity is very brutal.
Praying for a successful search today.

Even when the organized searches cease, there will be many hunters, fishermen, and other outdoors persons continuing the search. They are the eyes and ears of the forest and are responsible for locating many of the missing.

I know someone who lives nearby. They have complained about beggars coming up to them in their driveway and asking for money. They said that they hangout at the old hospital. I have passed there several times and have never seen a security guard, but have seen small congregations of young scruffy looking adults on bikes.
I had a beggar on Jefferson 3 weeks ago ask me for $5 at first, then 1/2 hr later ask me for $3. He looked a tad too well fed to be a beggar, & from the tattoos, I could see where he spent more of his money besides food.

http://www.athenaresearchgroup.org/thelessdead.htm

The Less Dead - Athena Research Group

Most important is the idea of who can be a potential victim. This isn’t to say that serial killers are lurking around every corner waiting to strike (they aren’t). But some individuals are more at risk for victimization than others.

Research would seem to indicate that certain segments of the population are more likely to be victimized than others. These segments are more likely to be marginalized members of society:
read more-

Interesting article! Thank you for posting! I always thought major behavior intervention/modification and/or pharmacological treatment should be implemented in jails, detentions, etc. Not that every SK goes to jail before hand, but since many criminals are repeat offenders, it doesn't seem like the solution is to just simply throw them in a jail cell.

I had a beggar on Jefferson 3 weeks ago ask me for $5 at first, then 1/2 hr later ask me for $3. He looked a tad too well fed to be a beggar, & from the tattoos, I could see where he spent more of his money besides food.

There are a couple homeless guys that stay near Jefferson, and when I used to work at Cedar Deli, they would come in and do some odd jobs in return for lunch. They were mostly nice, but every once in a while would come in high and acting weird/violent and our boss would send them away (sort of a time out). The next time they'd come back, they didn't even remember what happened. It's sad to see what addiction does to a person.

I have never given anyone cash b/c I'm not trying to support their habit, but I think several businesses downtown feed them occasionally. There's a fine line b/t helping someone in need and enabling them to never help themselves. It's really sad.

I think that if someone knew that spot at Whiskey Bay, they knew the water wasn't right there near the top of the path. The fact that it was in the water, to me, means that the bike was meant to be in the water. They only option I see, given the reported location, is to throw it off that ledge. It could be that even if the perp(s) knew the location, they actually didn;t know how deep the water was. It surprised me to see the fisherman's 12-y.o. daughter 10 feet out in the water and still have the water not even up to her hips.

Thank you, for all the photos and everything else. I have a feeling whoever threw that bike in the water knows that area pretty well. They may have just been trying to ditch it at that time and was anticipating going back and moving it if need be. I think they either live in a closer proximity to the bridge or it is in route to their home. If in route I just wonder if she was hidden before or after the bike drop.

I was thinking about this today and went to the website where Mickey worked. They have her listed as trainer and show a beautiful picture of her jumping on a horse (is that the right way to say that?). They are waiting for her to come back because everything is the same on the website, I'm sure, as before she went missing.

<snip>

Because of the truck being such a feature in this case, I hope LE checks out hired hands through the stables and peeps employed to keep up its operational needs. I don't know if they hire temporary people or if someone who she's worked with for years could have wanted her to be someone that she wasn't toward them - always a possibility. Just want them to cover all the angles so they don't miss something that will lead to the truth.

I've been thinking about this post. Someone who knew Mickey from the stables could have lured her into their truck on the pretext of going to the stables for an emergency, such as a stable fire. I don't know if her bike route would be one that someone could use as a pretense of running into her (not literally) on their way to the stable. Yeah, I'm grasping at straws here. Chances are she was the victim of a predator, and probably wasn't his first.:(

Maybe so. I'm still thinking/feeling the whole abduction was planned and she was stalked. No evidence or camera footage makes me think we're dealing with someone serious about not getting caught and experienced enough to pull it off. It is this that keeps me up at night worrying about Mickey. I don't want to think of what a person with that kind of determination would do once she'd been taken. JMO
This still doesn't rule out a hate crime.

Either someone who knew the area well, where he/she would be safe committing a crime, or someone who just got lucky. I'm of the belief that it is someone who wanted her but couldn't have her. Just my gut!

It still blew the margins for me and I have a PC. Photos need to be 640 pixels or less in width. :waitasec:

I'm on MacBook Pro, no problem with blown margins here.

Very bummed I'm missing it too. Woke up sick myself after working way too late :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member