LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Granted this is not a serial killer investigastion. However, this is a very high profile investigation where Media Management by Inverstigators is paramount for a successful outcome.

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/serial-murder/serial-murder-1#nine

IX. Media Issues in Serial Murder Investigations

Serial murder cases are inherently newsworthy. Some investigations last for years. Many attract attention because of the type of victims involved, and in others the serial killers themselves are media-attractive. Media attention is exacerbated by the insatiable demands of the twenty-four-hours-a-day, seven-days-a-week news reporting industry. The constant news attention on the investigation inevitably results in conflicts with law enforcement.

Often the relationship between law enforcement and the media is not a close one. In some law enforcement agencies, there is a long history of distrust and resentment underpinning this relationship. From the law enforcement perspective, the media publishes unauthorized information from investigations, hypothesizes on investigative progress, and uses talking heads to critique the investigative efforts. From the media’s standpoint, law enforcement withholds too much information and does not communicate adequately with the media. It is counterproductive for law enforcement to sustain contentious relationships with the media, while attempting to develop an overall strategy for a successful serial murder investigation. The only party who benefits from this negative relationship is the serial murderer, who may continue to avoid detection. A respectful, cooperative relationship between law enforcement and the media will serve the missions of both.
read more-much more

After the Deepwater Horizon catastrophe, I can you that most companies have become hyper vigilant.
His son probably did want his dad there however, he might know too that if he's going to college, they might need the money his father's job provides.

Not to mention, it is a way of life in the oil industry. His son would not be surprised, nor upset about it. This is the way it has been his entire life. the industry never sleeps.

After the Deepwater Horizon catastrophe, I can you that most companies have become hyper vigilant.
His son probably did want his dad there however, he might know too that if he's going to college, they might need the money his father's job provides.

We can think of a million reasons why/to excuse. I don't even know what to say or don't want to point fingers. Just that, from the beginning, when peeps went on and on about how each and every employee in the oil industry is locked into perfect attendance, with no room for flexibility, I :waitasec:.

I don't get it. I really don't.

Please bear with me as I am new here. I've been lurking since the abduction & murder of Samantha Koenig. So I'm new to the forum, but I've tried to keep up w/news & the discussions.
I can't get past the fact that a "carnie" was in town the night Mickey disappeared. I've thought this from the beginning & its JMO. A lot of carnies have criminal backgrounds, which makes it easier to gain employment. Not only that, but they travel an awful lot, from city to city. That maybe a reason the infamous white truck never came forward. This also may explain the abductions of pretty petite blonde girls going missing in different states.
This is all pure speculation & JMHO that I cane seem to get past.
I apologize for typos I am on my phone. I too am here for the same goal...bring Mickey home & every other missing person.

It seems as though this theory was dismissed early on. I don't know why, some said they were not here yet, but I remember seeing them before the weekend began. I do not like spending a small fortune on these things, so I tend to notice when they arrive so I can completely avoid driving by them with my children;)

We can think of a million reasons why/to excuse. I don't even know what to say or don't want to point fingers. Just that, from the beginning, when peeps went on and on about how each and every employee in the oil industry is locked into perfect attendance, with no room for flexibility, I :waitasec:.

I don't get it. I really don't.

Does that make Mickey's dad at fault? I don't understand the point of any of us discussing this further. Her father has had enough trauma this past month without some bloggers he doesn't know questioning his motives for working the day of his son's graduation!!

Not trying to berate you, but it makes me feel guilty to even see this on here knowing mickey's family reads this forum.

In my explanation of what I think, I included an out and recognize there are emergency situations when a person must report to work no matter what is going on on the homefront (a fireman on call would be a good example). What's so urgent about the oil industry that it has to ruin peoples' family lives? That's what it sounds like anyway. I know oil is needed, but it's all about those at the top making big bucks and manipulating society (and their employees I guess) - it's not the sun they're trying to keep up in the sky here.

The ceremony is a form of passage. That's what most ceremonies are. It's my opinion that a son would like his father's attention on that special day. I'm a daughter and appreciate that my dad chose to be at my graduation ceremony many years ago. He wanted me to feel special and recognized that I had finished the race, that I had accomplished something.

It's hard for me to believe you asked that question. jimo

Respectfully bolded by me. I suppose it's all in the perspective - my family owns a restaurant, and my father had to leave my graduation early, because the manager working called in sick - and that's what he had to do - it's his job. Sure, he felt terrible, and I was mildly disappointed that he had to leave early - but, that job, however small in the grand scheme of things, helped ME pay for college. Oh, and the roof over my head and the food I ate, too LOL.

It's not that they are 'keeping the sun in the sky' - it's that our jobs, our livelihoods, are just that - the way that we keep the bills paid and the kids fed. Regardless of the job, whether it be a waitress or a lawyer,doctor or oil-rig employee - the boss signs the checks, and we do what we have to do. I think it's awesome that, in today's economy, he's able to provide for his family, and willing to make the sacrifices necessary to do that. However, this, like all thought and opinion, is relative.

JMO and all that jazz.

Does that make Mickey's dad at fault? I don't understand the point of any of us discussing this further. Her father has had enough trauma this past month without some bloggers he doesn't know questioning his motives for working the day of his son's graduation!!

Not trying to berate you, but it makes me feel guilty to even see this on here knowing mickey's family reads this forum.

Because sometimes, the 'thanks' button just isn't enough....

Please bear with me as I am new here. I've been lurking since the abduction & murder of Samantha Koenig. So I'm new to the forum, but I've tried to keep up w/news & the discussions.
I can't get past the fact that a "carnie" was in town the night Mickey disappeared. I've thought this from the beginning & its JMO. A lot of carnies have criminal backgrounds, which makes it easier to gain employment. Not only that, but they travel an awful lot, from city to city. That maybe a reason the infamous white truck never came forward. This also may explain the abductions of pretty petite blonde girls going missing in different states.
This is all pure speculation & JMHO that I cane seem to get past.
I apologize for typos I am on my phone. I too am here for the same goal...bring Mickey home & every other missing person.

I am not sure the other missing women cases are connected, but I am not so sure they are not either.

The carnival angle may be something to explore. What other missing women had a carnival going on in their town when they went missing?

How long was the carnival in Lafayette when Mickey went missing? What town did the carnival go to next? And I wonder if LE has questioned those carnival workers if they could track them down.

If you look back on thread #26, posts 575 and 583, ACI refers to his POI being mentally unstable.

Saying someone appears mentally unstable is not the same as saying someone is mentally ill. For example, you may say a person who is confused and irritable is mentally unstable. That does not mean they are mentally ill.
Low blood sugar, anemia, carbon monoxide poisoning,alcohol withdrawal,swelling of the brain, a concussion,subarachnoid bleeding,a skull fracture, low salt in body fluids,or drug allergies can all cause confusion and agitation. They are all considered physical illnesses.
Unless the POI told A. C. I that they have a mental
illness or somehow A.C.I obtained medical records on the person we don't know that the person has a mental illness. We just know that A.C. I's perception of the person was that they were mentally unstable. That could mean many things to different people. What does that mean? To one person someone who dresses bizarrely in mismatched clothes all the time may be deemed mentally unstable. In reality maybe the person is color blind and can't tell that their clothes don't match.

The Emotional Toll on the Family of a Missing Person - Random Thoughts of a Mother Family, Grief Loss and Bereavement, Guilt, missing person

'When someone you love and care about goes missing a part of you goes missing as well'.

The first few days the stress is unbelievable and unless you have experienced a missing loved one you have no idea. Sleep is almost impossible – how can you possibly sleep when your loved one could be somewhere hurt and waiting to be rescued. Your mind won’t shut down and your imagination runs wild. Panic is just a few heart beats away. Each time the phone rings your heart leaps into your throat making it very dry and hard to speak when you answer the phone. When there is no bad news you become limp with relief. This can go on for many days. As the days turn into weeks its hard to stay positive and when the media is no longer reporting updates on your missing loved one you suddenly feel very alone and tired.

http://peace4missing.ning.com/group...family-of-a-missing-person?xg_source=activity

read-more

What does Mickey's father not being home for her brother's graduation have to do with her being missing? The oil industry is incredibly complex, with thousands of different positions, and sometimes people miss important events.

And this is just one experience in the military. My husband is a LTC in the army and often the one in charge over the years...company command, battalion commander etc. and he has missed many important events while not deployed. I would think that with most jobs it's not a one size fits all. I wasn't surprised at all that he had missed the graduation, but maybe because I am desensitized to stuff like this ???

ETA this wasn't posted to be argumentative to the poster I quoted at all...I posted quickly and have posted on this very subject a few times in these 20+ threads so my thoughts may have come out not as clear as I had intended. My general feeling about her dad missing the graduation is that many professions are like that and unless you live it you probably don't think about it much...if that makes sense. And desensitized might be the wrong word, but I'm tired LOL. We are packing out this week to head to our final tour before retirement so it's been a crazy few days. My kids (7 and 11) are sooo stdone...and they haven't been doing it as long as my husband I have LOL.

Okay, peeps are missing the broad picture of my post. A lot of choices remain up to the individual and their personal values I guess. My husband missed stuff too. Usually when he did it was unavoidable but if he was in town, short of an emergency, he'd come to whatever it was to support his kid. He retired a full colonel who had a lot of responsibility at all times.

That said, if there are pressing situations going on in real time they may have to disappoint the family but sometimes they choose to and say it was the Army standing in the way or whatever. Over time I began to recognize soldiers who used that excuse because I knew their wives and they'd complain to me about it. Their husband never asked and if he did, he'd probably been given time off. Geesh.

In my explanation of what I think, I included an out and recognize there are emergency situations when a person must report to work no matter what is going on on the homefront (a fireman on call would be a good example). What's so urgent about the oil industry that it has to ruin peoples' family lives? That's what it sounds like anyway. I know oil is needed, but it's all about those at the top making big bucks and manipulating society (and their employees I guess) - it's not the sun they're trying to keep up in the sky here.

The ceremony is a form of passage. That's what most ceremonies are. It's my opinion that a son would like his father's attention on that special day. I'm a daughter and appreciate that my dad chose to be at my graduation ceremony many years ago. He wanted me to feel special and recognized that I had finished the race, that I had accomplished something.

It's hard for me to believe you asked that question. jimo

The reason I asked that question is because everyone is different. Some kids would not mind if their father had work responsibilities which took them away on that day. My husband is 'self-employed' and has to take jobs whenever he can book them. If he happens to miss a big event, our kids understand and accept it. He has missed birthday parties and he has missed recitals and big games. They never blamed him for it because he always made it up to them. He is a great Dad and pays them lots of special attention between jobs.

So I agree with you that his son would have wanted his father's attention on that day---and he may have had it for all we know. Maybe Dad left him the keys to a new truck or airline tickets to a summer vacation. Who knows. But I will say again, that the actual ceremony is not that big of a deal to many kids. JMO

ETA: I think it is unfair to characterize it as 'ruining' a family's lives. To many people, the ceremony is just a hot, boring, meaningless event. imo

Saying someone appears mentally unstable is not the same as saying someone is mentally ill. For example, you may say a person who is confused and irritable is mentally unstable. That does not mean they are mentally ill.
Low blood sugar, anemia, carbon monoxide poisoning,alcohol withdrawal,swelling of the brain, a concussion,subarachnoid bleeding,a skull fracture, low salt in body fluids,or drug allergies can all cause confusion and agitation. They are all considered physical illnesses.
Unless the POI told A. C. I that they have a mental
illness or somehow A.C.I obtained medical records on the person we don't know that the person has a mental illness. We just know that A.C. I's perception of the person was that they were mentally unstable. That could mean many things to different people. What does that mean? To one person someone who dresses bizarrely in mismatched clothes all the time may be deemed mentally unstable. In reality maybe the person is color blind and can't tell that their clothes don't match.

While I understand your suggestion, ACI does not seem to be the type to just take something at face value. His job depends on gut instincts backed by facts.

LA

No, I replied to a post that interested me in that I couldn't understand all the posts throughout this case that indicated that people who work for the oil industry are being held hostage by it. That's all. Finally someone came along and said, that's not necessarily true and I said 'oh, I had been wondering about that.' It wasn't really about the choice Mickey's dad made. But because of it, I was having to learn about oil industry hostages.

No, I replied to a post that interested me in that I couldn't understand all the posts throughout this case that indicated that people who work for the oil industry are being held hostage by it. That's all. Finally someone came along and said, that's not necessarily true and I said 'oh, I had been wondering about that.' It wasn't really about the choice Mickey's dad made. But because of it, I was having to learn about oil industry hostages.

Hostages? Really? It's called doing what you have to to put kids through school, food on a table, roof over people's heads.

I'm a lucky girl. My dad would have chosen me. Same goes for my brother. Let's see, children/money, children/money.
It's not like they'd miss their next meal.

I am sorry--but that is very rude to say.

My husband is self employed. If he turns down a job he does not know when the next one might come along. So if he misses one of our kids events, it is not choosing money over our children, it is choosing our mortgage, our car payments our tuition for college, our family life, over one school event or dance recital. Easy choice to make, imo.

Okay, peeps are missing the broad picture of my post. A lot of choices remain up to the individual and their personal values I guess. My husband missed stuff too. Usually when he did it was unavoidable but if he was in town, short of an emergency, he'd come to whatever it was to support his kid. He retired a full colonel who had a lot of responsibility at all times.

That said, if there are pressing situations going on in real time they may have to disappoint the family but sometimes they choose to and say it was the Army standing in the way or whatever. Over time I began to recognize soldiers who used that excuse because I knew their wives and they'd complain to me about it. Their husband never asked and if he did, he'd probably been given time off. Geesh.

And my point was that not all military jobs are created equal. That was your experience..I was giving mine. I don't discount your experience at all, but there are certainly are other people in the military that didn't have that same experience. My husband is at every.single.thing he can be at and he has missed things when not deployed and it wasn't because he didn't care or used the army as an excuse ( I know you didn't say that I just feel like I have to point that out for some reason because even when not deployed he has missed important events that he very much wanted to be at). I did edit to say I wasn't trying to argue, but give another viewpoint because all military jobs are not the same and I assume all oil are not as well.

ETA I have read the entire thread now and I see your subsequent posts on this subject. I replied before reading all of them. I see what you were saying now. I agree when at all possible my hubby is there....we have never lived apart unless absolutely necessary (including moving my kids during school for 3 months, 5 months and once even only 6 weeks to be with him). Just telling you that to let you know that you and I are on the same page as far as how important it is to our families for dad to be there if possible...nothing to do with MS and her family. This was way OT so I'll stop now just wanted to clarify my thoughts from earlier.

I forgot to add thank you to your husband, you, and your family for your service and sacrifices. My husband is close to retirement as LTC, but will never stay for full colonel. I personally am not strong enough to make that sacrifice so i sincerely applaud you for your strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jayrider129