LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know a case is going cold when there are only a few people on the thread and when you have been offline for 3 hours and only have 1 page of posts to catch up on. :(

You know a case is going cold when there are only a few people on the thread and when you have been offline for 3 hours and only have 1 page of posts to catch up on. :(

Sorry, had the wrong quote!

:(
Some people felt denigrated when posting and so have chosen not to post.

I'm a bit behind, but wanted to share some thoughts regarding the lack of information coming from LE and the reduction in media coverage. My degree is in Marketing and I have worked in media, advertising, promotions, etc. I now work for a company, handling all of these things from the other side. I say this only as an intro into by background, and the basis for my opinion. The media will not continue to cover a story where there is nothing new to cover. LE will not hold press conferences when there is nothing new to share with the public. This is the reality. This unfortunately results in people moving on. Not because they don't care, but because they let it slip from the front of their mind, and let's be honest, they get busy with life. Juggling careers, carpool, extracaricular activities, health problems, personal struggles, etc.. They become disengaged. Out of sight out of mind. This is tragic, but it's what happens. This is when it becomes most crucial for the people involved to "create" the news, per say. The media will cover Mickey, but they will not continue to regurgitate the same information day in and day out. Mickey needs to be marketed. Events! Organized vigils are one thing, but take it further. It's summer time - summer sports are going on. Get involved with the recreation leagues - have local teams wear wrist bands saying "Bring Mickey Home". Organize a co-ed softball tournament to raise money. I believe that I read that the new "headquarters" is near a bowling alley. Talk to them and other places like that, get them to host a "Bowling for Mickey" night. Events that are already planned/scheduled, contact organizers to see if there is a way to incorporate Mickey into the event. Check with the local radio stations and find out what their requirements are for a Public Service Announcement, as these radio spots are typically run for free. Volunteer turn out for searches was on the decline when they put foot searches on hold. Because people had to go back to their lives. Go to where they are. Get a local print shop to donate banners with the Find Mickey info - if they can put their logo on it, they'll do it for the publicity. Get local shops to include a Find Mickey flyer in every shopping bag. Write and distribute press releases to EVERY local media outlet - print, tv, radio, etc.. If LE can't bring any "news" to the table, then give them something to cover. This is just my opinion as it relates to keeping this case in the news - no opinions here regarding the state of the investigation or what I think happened:). Just my 2 cents offered to be helpful!

Good thoughts and I agree. Especially with the first part of your post I bolded. Just because LE is not doing regular pressers doesn't mean they aren't investigating. When new details come along that won't hinder their investigation, they will probably make an annoucement. But it's not their job to keep the public up to date. As far as the media is concerned, all reporters have bosses and those bosses dictate their assignments. No updates means nothing to report on.

All the other stuff you mentioned is great, it keeps up the awareness so that people don't forget her and so that her family will feel like the public cares about Mickey and is there to support them as well. They need all the support and encouragement they can get right now. This is probably almost unbearable for them.

I have to say that I am impressed with the locals posting here and how much effort they are putting into this case. I'm not anywhere close to that area, but if I were, I'd do what I could to help as well. You are all doing a great job! Just wanted to say thanks!

Oh, no! Sorry about the thieving customer.

I'm here in California, and found myself looking for white trucks on the freeway when I drove south about 25 miles yesterday. Spotted two trucks: one with Texas plates, the other fom Arkansas (probably people in the military). Amazing how all-consuming this case can be! And it has already been a month. :banghead:
I'm in California too and I have found myself stalking trucks too. I was at my dad's earlier and there was a sierra in the road that I was inspecting. Ca plates though.

Yes, but either it was a gift or anthros have changed enormously since the 60s. Prob wrong since I'm going by myself & the other anthro I knew. Money was secondary to 'the quest'!

O/t...

It's great and exciting to be in science now, but what I wouldn't give to have been a research psychologist in the 60s and 70s. Oh man.

Today feels like such a dreary, depressing day. I know we are all frustrated with the lack of progress in finding Mickey. I've noticed that neither Charlie or the "Find Mickey Now" FB pages have been status updated today, so I was wondering if some of you would like to join me for the next few minutes and pray for Mickey and her family and the efforts to find her.

We are far apart from each other, but we can join our thoughts together and support this family.

Thanks, peeps.

Saw something really weird today.

Still on the fence about it. During an observation today (ask all you want, I ain't telling), a blue GMC Sierra (about 2003) parked next to a construction site and walked the site. He would routinely turn around and stop. I didn't think anything of it, at all. Then he went beyond some trees and stopped for a few minutes and walked back to his vehicle. He then drove to the place beyond the trees (dirt road), turned left onto another dirt road and was out of sight for 2-3 minutes. Again, I didn't think anything of it.

Then he was like a bat out of hell...

I then learned he had parked at this construction site about midnight for about an hour and then left.

Hate to say it, my first thought was Mickey.

Still wondering about tip line. I don't even know if LPD would have jurisdiction.

Anything is a possibility. It makes no sense that she would just go with a stranger. This leaves friendly or forceful attack. Forceful attacks are loud, and noticeable. Friendly, not so much.

LA
-----------------------
I bolded the above. In my research over the years and from personal experience, that is not always the case...

Still on the fence about it. During an observation today (ask all you want, I ain't telling), a blue GMC Sierra (about 2003) parked next to a construction site and walked the site. He would routinely turn around and stop. I didn't think anything of it, at all. Then he went beyond some trees and stopped for a few minutes and walked back to his vehicle. He then drove to the place beyond the trees (dirt road), turned left onto another dirt road and was out of sight for 2-3 minutes. Again, I didn't think anything of it.

I then learned he had parked at this construction site about midnight for about an hour and then left.

Did you get a license plate number and should you either call LE or let ACI know?

Did you get a license plate number and should you either call LE or let ACI know?

I wrote down as fast as I could.

Funny thing about the plate. It was covered by one of those plate blurrers. I couldn't make it out.

I will return there tomorrow.

I wrote down as fast as I could.

Funny thing about the plate. It was covered by one of those plate blurrers. I couldn't make it out.

I will return there tomorrow.

I'd call ACI, it is worth checking out. Could be nothing, but what if it is something?

I'd call ACI, it is worth checking out. Could be nothing, but what if it is something?

I would, but I don't know his number.

I was tempted to go back where the truck went, but my car wouldn't have made it.

Oh, and ACI would love this. I got a look at the guy...and found out he's on camera too!

I would, but I don't know how his number.

I was tempted to go back where the truck went, but my car wouldn't have made it.

Oh, and ACI would love this. I got a look at the guy...and found out he's on camera too!
Be careful..even if it's nothing, he may not like your curiosity.

That's the nature of the oilfield business. It's just the way it is.

I respectfully disagree. I have spent 23 years in the oilfield on five continents and this has not been my experience or my childrens experience. You would have to look at many factors before you could state this as fact.

Thank you for your post District11. I have no direct knowledge of the oil industry. The comments about oil workers having no say whatsoever as to their schedules perplexed me but what do I know? I'm not a part of that world so I have no right to or basis for argument.

Here's what I do know. As the long suffering wife :blushing: of a soldier, who in later years had authority over a lot of troops, I know that a soldier who has a special reason or an important event coming up can always ask for leave or a day off. There is a person, who is usually approachable, in charge. Therefore, I find it almost impossible to believe and quite severe to think, that a man with considerable autonomy (owns his own business) could not plan ahead and arrange to have a particular day off ~ the day his son is graduating from high school. Shy of a regional emergency (or in soldiers' cases a global crisis where suddenly whole battalions are alerted to prepare, pack and get ready to deploy), usually humanity allows for reasonable grace when it comes to making allowances for employees to be there for family members, especially when it comes to relatable special days in one's life.

That said, as a military wife, after awhile I caught on that some soldiers did not want their spouses to know that they could always ask and their request would probably be granted. They made the Army their excuse.

Still wondering about tip line. I don't even know if LPD would have jurisdiction.

girl, if they do not have jurisdiction some one will. call it in! At this point, anything might crack the case.

LA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member