LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #29

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, but would they say if they did or didn't get anything useful? I'm just wondering if the bike will give LE some clues

I would doubt that they would show their hand with respect to what they were able to get forensically off the bike or even if they did not.

I think it would depend on what the perp knows with respect to forensics and whether they took any precautions.

What many don't realize is that with the advancement in various techniques, as long as the lab is certified for things like LCN DNA etc., they can analyze minute amounts as long as they are not too minute.

I have not looked up the state lab there to see what they are qualified/certified to do. I would hope that if there is something ouside of their scope that they would then forward any potential samples to a lab that is certified and has the equipment required.

Yes, we know absolutely nothing about people here illegally. And, if they are okay breaking the law by being here illegally, do they truly respect other laws?

It's really bad here in Texas. My sister was fired from a teaching position in Dallas Independent School District for not learning Spanish quickly enough. The district went to Mexico and hired replacements. One of them sexually assaulted a second grader.

If you look at it that way, we have many more underground offenders. Some who have never been caught, and some who do not care to follow the laws.

IMO this makes the job harder for LE in a case such as this. Even if they interview every SO in an area there may be many more they do not even know about. In my mind, these are the most dangerous. They are under the radar, and know LE will spend a lot of time interviewing the others. It's not to say that being registered makes them model citizens or non-offenders but it put them in the limelight every time a violent sex crime is committed or someone goes missing.

In Mickey's case, none of the RSO's were of interest. This leads me to suspect that this is an under the radar type- or one from a nearby community or state.

Think about it, RSO lives in Baton Rouge, travels to Laf frequently. Commits crime, and goes home without arousing any inquiries from the area he is registered in.
LA

I don't think the bike was dropped from what little we know about the bike's condition (the drop off the top of the bridge over WB is SUPER high compared to most of the rest of the bridge) and because it would be ridiculously dangerous to stop there, but then I read this about Carrie Yoder, one of Derek Todd Lee's victims:

"On March 13, 2003, her decomposing body was found in Whiskey Bay near the same location to where Pam Kinamore's body had been found. Unlike Pam's body which seemed to be carefully placed and hidden, Carrie's body appeared to have been tossed from the bridge."

http://crime.about.com/od/serial/tp/victims-derrick-lee.htm

I still think Mickey's bike was put in the water down by the water rather than tossed, though.

Having travelled the Atchafalaya basin bridge many times at night between 12a & 5am, I still say its possible. It wouldn't take long 30 seconds or so. You can clearly see behind you if anyone is heading towards you.
It's a risk and miscalculating would cause disaster but it's possible, IMO.

yeah, I live on the 300 block and a aggravated sex predator lives on the 500...small town, so blocks are only 5 houses (if that) long :-/ I have a bat, big dog, lots of pepper spray, a few knives =)

I always find that a knife welding boyfriend is a good accessory. ;)

LA

:jail:
yeah, I live on the 300 block and a aggravated sex predator lives on the 500...small town, so blocks are only 5 houses (if that) long :-/ I have a bat, big dog, lots of pepper spray, a few knives =)

When we moved to a new neighborhood, I was shocked by how many there are nearby. However, when I look at the number near some of the nicest neighborhoods, there are just as many. It's astounding how many of these offenders are out there - and those are only the registered. You do have to look up the crime for each. A lot of them are for an adult sleeping with a girl under 18, which is not good, but consensual doesn't scare me nearly as much

I would love to! Also have exams at the moment just had one this morning lol. Also are these bracelets only in shops? If they are online can someone please post the link? Also something I forgot to mention earlier but someone was posting about trafficking and posted about well known people missing being trafficked! And it's common knowledge! Really? Does not one person have common decency to alert officials in their country not only for the victim but their families! This makes me really upset! Sorry I know it's OT but I needed to get it off my chest

http://findmickeynow.com/#shirts

I would doubt that they would show their hand with respect to what they were able to get forensically off the bike or even if they did not.

I think it would depend on what the perp knows with respect to forensics and whether they took any precautions.

What many don't realize is that with the advancement in various techniques, as long as the lab is certified for things like LCN DNA etc., they can analyze minute amounts as long as they are not too minute.

I have not looked up the state lab there to see what they are qualified/certified to do. I would hope that if there is something ouside of their scope that they would then forward any potential samples to a lab that is certified and has the equipment required.

Doesn't LSU have a crime lab of some sort. They have something for the missing I know.

Having travelled the Atchafalaya basin bridge many times at night between 12a & 5am, I still say its possible. It wouldn't take long 30 seconds or so. You can clearly see behind you if anyone is heading towards you.
It's a risk and miscalculating would cause disaster but it's possible, IMO.

Not so sure I am convinced that they could of on this bridge when I watch the traffic on this even in the early morning hours.

http://hb.511la.org/multicamera.jsp...-10@ Whiskey Bay (facing West)&current_view=1

The two in my two mile radius are convicted of the *advertiser censored* involving children, and sex with a child. Why do they let these guys back out in society? I just do not get it.

La

Two? I have 14 according to the link someone posted yesterday. Ugh.

I keep wondering if they really did leave nothing behind. Maybe the perp went back to scour the scene the next day.

I wondered the same thing.... I also tend to think that if this is a first timer, he didn't drive her as far as he drove the bike.. as a first timer, you would think he would be kinda freaked out and and paranoid.

Thank you for the links I will get on to support and hopefully be able to buy some items. Still rather concerned about missing people been known to be taken for trafficking but people turn their head. Isn't this a duty of care? Where is people's compassion? Should these people with holding information be held accountable isn't it like encouraging a crime? In no way do I think Miley was taken for trafficking but it alarms me that someone who has a friend knows this. It could be your wife, mother, sister, daughter, girlfriend, friend!!!

Does anyone know if Mickey had worked anywhere else than as a horse trainer at the stables? Was this her first and only place of employment?

Doesn't LSU have a crime lab of some sort. They have something for the missing I know.

LSU has the FACES lab that uses forensic anthropology to reconstruct unidentified skeletal remains in hopes of identifying missing persons, etc.

There are lots of labs. The problem is that when you are dealing with crime scenes there are protocols/procedures which must be followed.

The chain of custody from the crime scene to the lab must be documented.

Then the lab must be able to undergo the scrutiny of .fsa files (raw data) and the interpretation of that data, then be able to explain that to a jury in language that they can understand.

Here is a link that is not to technical. I have lots more but it would bore you to tears :giggle:

http://www.promega.com/resources/ar...lysis-limitations-prevent-general-acceptance/

The only thing odd about the fisherman (or men) not telling their story to the media is that we are used to everyone wanting their little bit of face time, now we think it is weird if someone acts normally and keeps their mouth shut during an investigation...JMO

Originally Posted by quueenie
IMOHO..... I think it was a crime of opportunity.. I also think to keep it as neat, clean and quick as it appears to be, there was more than one person. I lean towards two men, after a night out see her and decide, okay lets do this. Its someone who has been to that spot in WB before, because no one is going to just happen upon it in the middle of the night. if you have ever been there you will understand how dark it is, and trying to find your way around there is a task at night. if this is the case, one of these guys, if not both are worried the other will talk, they will want to keep an eye on each other... however you are finding more and more women aiding men in this type of situation.... I still think it's two men. One perp acting alone would of had to hit her pretty hard to injure her enough not to run, for her to be placed in a vehicle leaving nothing on the ground...===========================================

I think that is a very valid theory. I go back and forth between it being as you described, an impulsive crime of opportunity, and a stalker, or creepy acquaintance, who 'kindly' offered her a ride home.

But I do believe it was at least two perps, because they left nothing behind and were apparently quick and silent. :mad:

Either very good or had help. My dilemna comes from what kind of help thus my theory remains totally out of the box. Sigh..

Two? I have 14 according to the link someone posted yesterday. Ugh.

There's only one sex offender in my entire town, which has a population of 40,000. The town next to us, has 47,000 people, and 0 sex offenders.

***Warning DWT question.***

ACI mentioned some wheels on that truck. The question is, are those wheels on the trucks standard? Is that tire special? Where do you get them? Does this make the needle in the stack of needles more specific or just add on to the headache that is the DWTIQ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne