LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #30

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking out loud: if the hand grips were removed for DNA reasons...why would they put them in the water right there with the bike??

Thus, my reasoning for thinking this was a panic-based disposal. A methodical, diabolical perp would not have done so, if (s)he were looking to truly get rid of such things, for evidence purposes.

I wonder if someone started to dismantle the bike for some reason and then panicked when it was harder or taking longer than they thought or just felt like it wasn't worth it so dumped what they had done so far. It does seem strange to me that they said the bike and hand grips.

:welcome:
That's an interesting theory, and I don't believe anyone has suggested it before.
A person who hit her in that manner could offer to let her come inside and clean up, and then things could have gotten out of hand in the house.

Additionally, if it was a woman. Her guard would have been let down. Suppose the woman was drinking, had taken any type of drug and/or license suspended? Maybe has a record for OWI etc. she tells Mickey, let's go in and I will call the police or your family and once she is inside, she just shuts her up? Husband/boyfriend helps get rid of Mickey, the bike and any evidence. (throws phone and purse in random trash can) etc. :(

----------

And who is going to pay all of these people? And don't say cost is no object. It would be a reality, a very harsh one, especially for one family to bear, even with donations.

concentric, wouldn't be the first time...

http://www.michellesigona.com/tag/kristi-cornwell/

Kristi Cornwell's Remains Found By Her Brother, Police Hold Press Conference ... The family's lake house property was sold over the weekend to raise money for the search to help find Kristi ...

I agree with this notion. I thought it odd that the question was asked, almost as though said reporter either a) overheard LE discussing that fact; or b) had been clued in to that fact by someone in-the-know (LE, family, other).

To me, this was one of the handful of times that LE has acted a bit squirrelly in dealing with the media in this case.

It was a question that was totally warranted based on how LE phrased their statement. I remember watching it live and hoping someone would ask him for clarification.

Thus, my reasoning for thinking this was a panic-based disposal. A methodical, diabolical perp would not have done so, if (s)he were looking to truly get rid of such things, for evidence purposes.

I think this too, to hide evidence you want to separate the distinctive grips everyone knew were Mickey's from the bike, making it look like it look like an insignificant abandoned bike. Thinking the grips would float away from the bike and not be found together if found at all, instead the grips filled with water and sink next to the bike.

If a perp(s) wanted it to look like they had disposed of her what perhaps they figured leaving the bike at WB would make people think she was no longer alive and eventually stop looking for her.

I got the impression that they were trying hard to keep the bike from being found but maybe were a little too scared and hasty in the disposal. With all the missing people that are not being found, I think criminals are either getting better at hiding bodies or holding hostages??

My guess is water level marks/algae rings that show the bike was completely submerged, and then lower rings to show the reduced water level when it was found.

This as well would be my guess and they seemed quite confident about it.

Considering the heat etc., I would imagine that the algae would of accumulated quite quickly.

I do not believe that Mickey's bike was ever intended to be found. A few peeps have said the water level dropped and that may be why it was discovered. Remember it was submerged. If someone wanted it found, as a decoy, they could have thrown on any roadside.

Why WB is anybody's guess. Well known dumping ground; easy freeway access and remote; perp lives out that way or passed it on the way to somewhere else. Those are the logical answers, for me.

Bike turned up about the time the VOIs were identified. I agree with the perp feeling the heat.

But LE said they believe it had been there a while, perhaps due to some visual impression, rust or plant growth among the wheels, something, who knows...

I think it was ditched within 24 hours...

Do we know for sure the hand grips were removed? LE danced around the issue, but that does not mean much, IMO. They have pretty much avoided committing to anything at all.

'Yep this dance is referred too as the LPD PIO 'Three Step'...

One step forward, then two step back, and then Spin...

Thinking out loud: if the hand grips were removed for DNA reasons...why would they put them in the water right there with the bike??

Also thinking out load here...two things came to mind when reading these posts. helpwithhope, that is an excellent, excellent point. And it made me think that they weren't removed for DNA reasons. They were removed to mask the identify of the bike. It has been stated (by LE and others alike) that WB is a known dumping ground for trash. A generic looking black bike washing ashore is much less likely to raise suspicion than a black bike with gold handgrips.

This also makes me think the person we're looking for is someone very familiar with the fact that Mickey changed out her handgrips to the custom gold ones. Let's take for granted that LE is correct in stating they believe the bike was dumped the morning she went missing...no information about her changing out hand grips from stock to custom had been released at that point. (no information had been released at that point). To strip the bike of the handgrips and throw them into the same murky water you threw the bike...why do that, unless you know that the gold handgrips would be an identifying item at a later date?

HouDat, I've got to disagree a little, but not completely here. It very possibly could have been panic driven. But the more I just look at what we know about Mickey, what we do have confirmed from LE, what lack of developments there have been...I am more and more convinced that this is someone who knew her very well. Whether she knew them very well? I'm still not sure. My gut tells me yes, but my heart doesn't want to believe it.

:welcome:
That's an interesting theory, and I don't believe anyone has suggested it before.
A person who hit her in that manner could offer to let her come inside and clean up, and then things could have gotten out of hand in the house.

Thanks the thing is it just hit me like a ton of bricks for some reason. One thing is for sure people under the influence can be just plain nuts and anything can happen.

I got the impression that they were trying hard to keep the bike from being found but maybe were a little too scared and hasty in the disposal. With all the missing people that are not being found, I think criminals are either getting better at hiding bodies or holding hostages??

I agree that it was hasty and an almost cliche location.

Interesting.

Why would someone have to remove the hand grips to sanitize them?

For as much as we know they could of been wearing gloves.

As well I can think of a number of things much easier if the purpose was to remove DNA.

DNA could be on many areas of the bike not simply the hand grips even if that is the only place that was touched. Simply brushing up against clothing etc., could not only yield DNA but other forensics such as fibers etc.

-

I just thought they could be dipped in bleach or something like that. As mentioned before, they are likely DNA areas. The police were coy on weather or not they were removed or still on the bike, think they said they were "with the bike."

My guess is water level marks/algae rings that show the bike was completely submerged, and then lower rings to show the reduced water level when it was found.

This as well would be my guess and they seemed quite confident about it.

Considering the heat etc., I would imagine that the algae would of accumulated quite quickly.

Two very excellent points. Something good to note is the way they determined flood levels during Hurricane Katrina is in the very manner described above. They examined the different water lines on the properties to evaluate how high the water was initially, and in what stages it receded over time.

'Yep this dance is referred too as the LPD PIO 'Three Step'...

One step forward, then two step back, and then Spin...

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

My keyboard is taking a terrible beating!!! Once again this sure made me chuckle but I am going to have to switch to my laptop at this rate.

Also thinking out load here...two things came to mind when reading these posts. helpwithhope, that is an excellent, excellent point. And it made me think that they weren't removed for DNA reasons. They were removed to mask the identify of the bike. It has been stated (by LE and others alike) that WB is a known dumping ground for trash. A generic looking black bike washing ashore is much less likely to raise suspicion than a black bike with gold handgrips.

This also makes me think the person we're looking for is someone very familiar with the fact that Mickey changed out her handgrips to the custom gold ones. Let's take for granted that LE is correct in stating they believe the bike was dumped the morning she went missing...no information about her changing out hand grips from stock to custom had been released at that point. (no information had been released at that point). To strip the bike of the handgrips and throw them into the same murky water you threw the bike...why do that, unless you know that the gold handgrips would be an identifying item at a later date?

HouDat, I've got to disagree a little, but not completely here. It very possibly could have been panic driven. But the more I just look at what we know about Mickey, what we do have confirmed from LE, what lack of developments there have been...I am more and more convinced that this is someone who knew her very well. Whether she knew them very well? I'm still not sure. My gut tells me yes, but my heart doesn't want to believe it.

My feelings on this wax and wane but right now I'm in 100% agreement with you about this being someone who knows her.

I'm just not sold on the idea that the perp is the person who dumped the bike.

But I do agree with the very real possibility that the person who took MS is someone who knew her, or was very familiar with her -- by virtue of living along her preferred route, or frequenting places she routinely visited (Artmosphere, stables, cycling circles, etc.).

Speaking of which...I keep circling back to the stables. It's nothing more than pure conjecture on my part, but I truly hope LE and the PI(s) involved have thoroughly investigated the entire stable scene, including the folks who worked there, trained there, stabled horses there, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3