LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #30

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM
Can you explain why you think that Mickeys bike had "racing tires" what exactly they are and why they would make it difficult to ride on the sidewalk?

Most sidewalks by law are required to be disabled friendly, so they have to have a spot where a wheel chair can go down. This is not to say they all have them, but even a bike with "racing tires" could go down them.

I do not think her bike had slicks or thin tires. It most likely came with a little bit of a sturdier tire. It is an in-between tire that is being made now for the more comfort oriented "hybrid" bikes. Which is what I would classify Mickey's as.

LA

BBM
Can you explain why you think that Mickeys bike had "racing tires" what exactly they are and why they would make it difficult to ride on the sidewalk?

The skinny tires are for street riding or racing. They are not as durable as the mountain bike or hybrid tires and are more likely to get a flat on a surface that is not smooth. To ride on the Congress sidewalk, you basically have to go up and down the curbs at the intersections. It's ok for the thicker tires but not recommended for the racing/street tires. That's how the bike store explained it to me when I was deciding what kind of bike to buy for riding in lafayette. I don't remember where I read or heard early on that she had the street tires. I could be wrong about that.

I truly believe there are people who have no soul. I almost want to say for them earth is hell. The trick is to keep them away so you can enjoy your own little corner of heaven. ;)

Sorry for OT but just could not resist.

LA

Agree, Labikegirl.. R. Depue says it best, imo....

http://fightforjustice.blogspot.com/2005/12/roger- l-depue.html
Roger L. Depue “Between Good and Evil” Author & Retired FBI BAU Profiler:

My job has been to try to stop human predators before they kill again, and after studying them so closely over so many years, to me their traits seem clearly recognizable.
Evil is more than a vague notion. It is an entity, and it is manifest on the earth. It has reflexes and intuition, senses vulnerability, and changes its form to adapt to its surroundings. Those who do not believe the Devil walks this earth have not seen the things that I have seen.

Evil is not a discrete entity that springs forth fully formed. It is born in the mind, takes root there as fantasy, and prospers when normal human restraint can no longer contain it.

I have seen it devour the personalities of men like Richard Speck, Jeffrey Dahmer, and Ted Bundy, turning them into blank-faced sociopaths who clearly know right from wrong, but choose, time and again, to follow their own base urges, with complete disregard for the terrible human suffering they cause.

I believe that every act of homicide causes a slight unbalancing in the world, and that it diminishes life’s universal equation. In the interest of justice, it is imperative that someone try to right that imbalance.

But the task of fighting evil can take a terrible toll on the people who are charged with it. It can cost them their families, their equilibrium, their capacity for joy...

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=park...WwriPIS7Jlo0XRoJENA&cbp=12,76.19,,0,1.84&z=16

This is the googlemaps image of what I believe is the same building. The image date is April 2009. If it is the same building, then the grafitti of pacman was done sometime between then and now. It looks like there was a realtor's sign at the time the photo was taken.

Incorrect. The graffiti is on the side of a building at Congress and Parkside.

Not sure if this will work but I will try.
G =grafiitti
I = side of building
---------= Ryan St
HRS=BWs house on Ryan St.
/ = Parkside

•••••Congress St••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
/ GI(building)
/ Houses..........
-------------------------
/HRS
/

Most sidewalks by law are required to be disabled friendly, so they have to have a spot where a wheel chair can go down. This is not to say they all have them, but even a bike with "racing tires" could go down them.

I do not think her bike had slicks or thin tires. It most likely came with a little bit of a sturdier tire. It is an in-between tire that is being made now for the more comfort oriented "hybrid" bikes. Which is what I would classify Mickey's as.

LA

Thanks for your reply. I didn't think that there was a good reason why Mickey couldn't possibly ride on the sidewalk. Around here we have guys on fixed gear bikes with no brakes riding on the sidewalks along with pedestrians. Not so smart, but they do it anyways.

The skinny tires are for street riding or racing. They are not as durable as the mountain bike or hybrid tires and are more likely to get a flat on a surface that is not smooth. To ride on the Congress sidewalk, you basically have to go up and down the curbs at the intersections. It's ok for the thicker tires but not recommended for the racing/street tires. That's how the bike store explained it to me when I was deciding what kind of bike to buy for riding in lafayette. I don't remember where I read or heard early on that she had the street tires. I could be wrong about that.

Some people do change the tires out, but it's mostly for speed's sake. While it is a probability, fixed gear bikes are not exactly meant for racing. Who knows ? I guess at this point all we have is speculation...

I just looked at FB page, from what I can see it looks as she does have in-between tires. I do not know exact size. They could easily ride up curbs, if she wanted to. I think the choice to avoid Congress was more out of concern for safety.

La

In an insurance scam would body have to be found for anyone to be assumed to have died?

I would have to say that if a body isn't found then a legal determination of death would have to happen before any money is distributed.

All I know is that a young guy I knew did try to falsify his own death to collect insurance money. I'm not sure if it would have worked the way he planned even if he wasn't killed by his co-conspirator.

And I'm not aware of any evidence suggesting that there is any kind of insurance scam happening in this case.

Mickey Schunick's future as an anthropologist, which she had worked years to accomplish was too bright to risk in an insurance scam, imo. There are no indicators that this scenario is plausible.

I agree 100%! My post was an explanation to why the life insurance question was being asked.
Above and beyond her hard work fowards her degree, I don't think she would put her family through this. (I don't know her but I just feel in my gut she would never intentionally hurt her family by running off without a word to them.)

Some people do change the tires out, but it's mostly for speed's sake. While it is a probability, fixed gear bikes are not exactly meant for racing. Who knows ? I guess at this point all we have is speculation...

I just looked at FB page, from what I can see it looks as she does have in-between tires. I do not know exact size. They could easily ride up curbs, if she wanted to. I think the choice to avoid Congress was more out of concern for safety.

La

I have the hybrids and it's not fun to go up and down those curbs. They drop off with no incline and it's rough on the bike. But I agree that she probably avoided it for safety reasons. But that brings up another point that has bothered me: if she did this routinely by herself, how do they know what route she took? There are several ways she could have gotten to a point way down Congress without going on Congress the entire way, e.g., go through UL athletic complex, through campus crossings apts, down Jacqueline. I haven't heard anything about other routes.

I would have to say that if a body isn't found then a legal determination of death would have to happen before any money is distributed.

All I know is that a young guy I knew did try to falsify his own death to collect insurance money. I'm not sure if it would have worked the way he planned even if he wasn't killed by his co-conspirator.

And I'm not aware of any evidence suggesting that there is any kind of insurance scam happening in this case.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/f/fowler_mari.html

Mari Fowler..thought to be one of Derrick Todd Lee's victims, was declared legally dead 17 months after her disappearance...

I agree 100%! My post was an explanation to why the life insurance question was being asked.
Above and beyond her hard work fowards her degree, I don't think she would put her family through this. (I don't know her but I just feel in my gut she would never intentionally hurt her family by running off without a word to them.)

I agree...100%..she is not responsible for her own disappearance.

The one thing that bothers me throughout this forum, and I get *TOS* and legal liability. BUT, for those theories or questions that do NOT pose a legal liability for WS, should be asked...and in as many ways as possible or we are never going to find the answer.

Could someone please clarify as I didn't see the article...

Did they say if they were still looking for the WT and the driver

or

Did they say they were still looking for the driver of the WT

IMO it would be two different things as in maybe the truck was stolen and located?

For a bit of levity, I offer up a video summation of the entirety of the DWTIQ dialogue -- from the point of origination up to...well...current thread:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aELcXyjpts"]Can you survive 10 minutes of the afro circus? - YouTube[/ame]

I am not sure what parallels there are? I am not seeing any.

Also, as far as the white truck...LE never said they had stopped looking for it...the articles about the searches these past two days are the only recent articles, really, so the fact that the media mentioned the white truck does not have any forensic significance to me...just that they are restating that the truck has still not been found.

JMO

Actually, the fact that they hadn't mentioned it to the media in some time did have many of us thinking that the truck was no longer thought to be involved. That, along with ACI's contact with the only three owners in Lafayette with matching trucks, finding out the LE had never contacted them at all, it was easy to start to believe the W/T was no longer considered a part of the case. And, if they were really still searching for it, why the heck would they stop reminding the public to be looking for it? This could be one place the public could easily help. I understand why they didn't release info about the specialty changes upgrades the owner of the truck had made, as they are easily changed out or removed.
That is my reasoning for thinking something has changed to make them announce to the public the truck has not yet been found. I may be wrong, it has happened many times ;)

Actually, the fact that they hadn't mentioned it to the media in some time did have many of us thinking that the truck was no longer thought to be involved. That, along with ACI's contact with the only three owners in Lafayette with matching trucks, finding out the LE had never contacted them at all, it was easy to start to believe the W/T was no longer considered a part of the case. And, if they were really still searching for it, why the heck would they stop reminding the public to be looking for it? This could be one place the public could easily help. I understand why they didn't release info about the specialty changes upgrades the owner of the truck had made, as they are easily changed out or removed.
That is my reasoning for thinking something has changed to make them announce to the public the truck has not yet been found. I may be wrong, it has happened many times ;)

Well we don't really know for sure what LE has or hasn't done, IMO.
Also, there hasn't been much media of any kind in weeks...LE probably assumed that since they did not retract the word about needing to find the truck that people would still be looking. May not be the wisest way to go about it...but if they are still receiving calls and have not come forward to tell the public to stop calling about it...I always assumed they still needed to find it. JMO

Tonight Katc is still requesting people to call the tipline and are still looking for this truck...showed pic of truck going down St. Landry away from university

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
a_renee