LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #30

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's correct, US-90/University

30 mph is attainable by bike, I think, but it's fast..even for a messenger. Let's have mercy on my math skills, but even adding a few seconds to the elapsed time of 1 minute I'm getting something close to 40mph. Didn't I read that she rode a fixed gear bike? **a fixed gear bike has a drive train in constant engagement, pedals>crank>rear wheel.** This seems like a high rate of speed for a fixed gear bike.

That's really really fast. To me that seems like 'running away' fast. In the 2nd video it appears to me that she has stopped, or at least in this 1 frame I don't see the usual blur indicative of movement. In the birds eye view a shoulder begins on the right hand side of the right hand lane. To me this looks like it's a few feet beyond the Circle K, closer to thinking about some Pizza Hut than grabbing some necessities at the Circle K.

Questions:
1)Why was she going so fast? Was someone chasing her all the way down Saint John?s
2)Why did she stop? Did she think a pursuing vehicle was stuck at the light on US-90/University?

20/25 MPH seems like a nice hustle, 30-38 mph seems like running for your life... just sayin'
How did you arrive at the 30 plus mph speed? In other words, how do you know the elapsed time to calculate the speed?

How did you arrive at the 30 plus mph speed? In other words, how do you know the elapsed time to calculate the speed?

That's what I'm thinking. It's really not possible to arrive at a specific speed estimate without knowing the synchronization of the two different cameras. And in a short distance like that, even a few seconds here or there can wildly throw off the mph.

Here is a nice map. https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=212897563661725545874.0004c1308bcaa5eb337b9&msa=0&ll=30.190615,-92.0753&spn=0.037688,0.055189
I clicked on the icon for video A, zoomed in, got the address, copied it
I clicked on the icon for video B, zoomed in, got the address, copied it
I pasted the first address as a start address
I pasted the second address as a finish address
I had Google calculate a bike route, the same route Mickey took between these two points and it returned a distance of 0.4 miles.
It also returned a result of 3 minutes for the average rider, which she is not.
I doubt the time difference between the two videos is literally 60 seconds, so I'm comfortable with adding a few seconds..however if I take it literally, and imagine that she didn't stop for 10 minutes of riding, I get 4 miles. So at 60 minutes of riding/4 miles every 10 minutes, I get 24 miles per hour.. okay, never mind. that slows her down a bit. Still fast but not Lance Armstrong fast. But she is petite, with relatively short legs compared to a man. On a fixed gear.. I dunno. I guess I can live with 24 MPH and not call it runnin'. that's still swift.
Sorry about my math. I don't use it this way very often.

I would have to disagree that you shared much of anything, however I also have not scrolled through all of the pages today.

So, from where I stand this is what we have:

1) a very grainy picture of a white truck

What has been asked of you (unsure if you have answered any of these in pages I didn't scroll through)

1) where is this video taken (location, streets, etc.)

2) what time and date was the video taken

3) how did you come in possession of this video

4) have you turned it over to LE yet

Please, if you have answered any of these correct me.

What we have gotten:

1) you aren't answering certain questions because that is up to LE, however, you never said if you gave it to them

2) from this grainy picture you have concluded that you believe this truck is a work truck, possibly a 2007, and it has a box possibly on the hood

3) you are unwilling to give us a time, date, or street so we can actively collaborate if this truck is questionable and at this point we don't even know if the video was taken in the city or state as MS's abduction.

Please, if you don't want us to view the video at least clarify so we can all get on the same page and be productive! Because as of right now, all of this energy could be used on finding Mickey instead of asking the same five questions of you for pages on end.....we all want the same thing, to find her, so let's do it in a productive manner that keeps HER as the main topic/objective.

I have said that its within 3 miles of city hall, within the time frame of no later than 4 am, headed north. The video is 4 seconds long and has four pictures that include the truck. I have published two of them here. I have cropped the pictures so you only see the truck part.

So at 60 minutes of riding/4 miles every 10 minutes, I get 24 miles per hour.. okay, never mind. that slows her down a bit. Still fast but not Lance Armstrong fast. But she is petite, with relatively short legs compared to a man. On a fixed gear.. I dunno. I guess I can live with 24 MPH and not call it runnin'. that's still swift.

Good, thanks. This seems reasonable IMO, especially given the uncertainty of the time stamps on the cameras.

I didn't check his math, but we were given the time she left Brettly's and the photos are time stamped, so if the distance is known, it's possible to figure her rate of speed.

OFF TOPIC BUT INTERESTING:

I recently downloaded an app I heard about in the Jury Room. (Ghost Radar). Something interesting happened with this app, and I posted down there. And NO, I don't believe it, but it sure is coincidental!
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8083350&postcount=87"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

That's what I'm thinking. It's really not possible to arrive at a specific speed estimate without knowing the synchronization of the two different cameras. And in a short distance like that, even a few seconds here or there can wildly throw off the mph.

the short distance is a problem. i knowit.

Here is a nice map. https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=212897563661725545874.0004c1308bcaa5eb337b9&msa=0&ll=30.190615,-92.0753&spn=0.037688,0.055189
I clicked on the icon for video A, zoomed in, got the address, copied it
I clicked on the icon for video B, zoomed in, got the address, copied it
I pasted the first address as a start address
I pasted the second address as a finish address
I had Google calculate a bike route, the same route Mickey took between these two points and it returned a distance of 0.4 miles.
It also returned a result of 3 minutes for the average rider, which she is not.
I doubt the time difference between the two videos is literally 60 seconds, so I'm comfortable with adding a few seconds..however if I take it literally, and imagine that she didn't stop for 10 minutes of riding, I get 4 miles. So at 60 minutes of riding/4 miles every 10 minutes, I get 24 miles per hour.. okay, never mind. that slows her down a bit. Still fast but not Lance Armstrong fast. But she is petite, with relatively short legs compared to a man. On a fixed gear.. I dunno. I guess I can live with 24 MPH and not call it runnin'. that's still swift.
BBM
If we knew for sure that the times on the videos were accurate to the second between the two of them, then we could try and calculate Mikeys speed. It's such a short distance that even 59 seconds difference will throw things way off.

I didn't check his math, but we were given the time she left Brettly's and the photos are time stamped, so if the distance is known, it's possible to figure her rate of speed.

I recently downloaded an app I heard about in the Jury Room. Something interesting happened with this app, and I posted down there. And NO, I don't believe it, but it sure is coincidental!
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

If the timers on the cameras are all accurate. Way back on one of the threads, it was pointed out that at least one camera was off by 12 minutes.

I recently downloaded an app I heard about in the Jury Room. (Ghost Radar). Something interesting happened with this app, and I posted down there. And NO, I don't believe it, but it sure is coincidental!
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Dang! You would think a ghost could figure it out at least!!! Ha!

...Miabella...it seems like you are trying to tell us something...but you are being so elusive....how can we know for sure that your truck pictures are from the night in question?...why wouldn't you just want to let it be known?... this isn't a "teasing" situation... if you do have info - please come forth....\

If you have a video you keep referencing either post it or stop referring to it, please.

That is called baiting and it is not cool. If you are going to keep talking about the video, then please post it so others can view it, otherwise please stop talking about it.

Thanks.

Bump.

I have said that its within 3 miles of city hall, within the time frame of no later than 4 am, headed north. The video is 4 seconds long and has four pictures that include the truck. I have published two of them here. I have cropped the pictures so you only see the truck part.

If you have a video you keep referencing either post it or stop referring to it, please.

That is called baiting and it is not cool. If you are going to keep talking about the video, then please post it so others can view it, otherwise please stop talking about it.

Thanks.
If this is the same video that beach referenced- either post it or stop,please.
Final request.

Thanks.

If the timers on the cameras are all accurate. Way back on one of the threads, it was pointed out that at least one camera was off by 12 minutes.

12 minutes!?! She could havw walked the 0.4 miles faster than that.....

12 minutes!?! She could havw walked the 0.4 miles faster than that.....

If I'm not mistaken, I think I remember hearing someone say it was the camera which took the video of the hooptie and truck on University just north of St. Landry that was potentially 12 minutes off, not the ones on Versailles and St. Landry. Also, I'm not sure that was ever confirmed.

A couple of things: Just for clarity, keep in mind that U.S. 90 is not actually University Avenue -- U.S. 90 is Johnston Street. Highway 182 is University Ave.

Cameron Street is Hwy 90 till Evanageline Thruway- then Evangeline Thruway is Hwy 90 towards Houma. University is Hwy 182. Johnston St. is Hwy 167.

Also, keep in mind the picture of Mickey at LCG/Circle K isn't a picture in the true sense. It's a frame pulled from a video camera. With any video camera with decent FPS (Frames per second), there wouldn't be any blur. She's not stopped.

Cameron Street is Hwy 90 till Evanageline Thruway- then Evangeline Thruway is Hwy 90 towards Houma. University is Hwy 182. Johnston St. is Hwy 167.

Also, keep in mind the picture of Mickey at LCG/Circle K isn't a picture in the true sense. It's a frame pulled from a video camera. With any video camera with decent FPS (Frames per second), there wouldn't be any blur. She's not stopped.

Yes, of course you're right. Here I was trying to clarify the confusion in differentiating between 182/90 and and managed to confuse 90/167! We have too many numbered highways running through this town.

Also, I concur with you -- she is not stopped in front of Circle K. That was the other poster's contention. I can see how people might try to make that interpretation, but I certainly don't see it.

Let's all leave the video out of the conversation until it is produced.

Those of you that just had posts removed, I am sorry I had to remove and I understand your points completely but instead of discussing each other let's see if we can get back to constructive discussion.

thanks everyone very much.

Laffy- I wasn't picking at ya:)

The streets in Lafayette sometimes seem like they were laid out by a drunken architect... hehe

I didn't mean to imply that the she's stopped argument was yours- just putting two ideas in the same post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member