LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #30

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to walk a lot for exercise in my younger years. One time I was between two busy roads in a slightly wooded area. A car started to slow down and the man was gawking me. He was on my side of the street. I quickly went across to the other side thinking he couldn't turn his car around as fast, or it would be too obvious if he did. This was in daylight. At 2:00am a perp in a car has the advantage to a girl on a bike. The element of surprise is also a great advantage. If he hit her from behind or on the side to knock her down, she wasn't necessarily seriously hurt but enough for him to get out and grab her. Don't know if the WT has any merit but if so that trunk like contraption in the bed of a pick up looks terribly like a perfect spot to put a victim. I don't know much about these trucks but looking at them, this is MO.

This is why I think that either the bike was thrown over the bridge or hit (by presumably a vehicle)before it was dumped. There was significant damage to the back section and/or the tire and it was separated from the rim,IIRC or something like that .I will look for a link.
This would not happen if the bike were placed in the water,imo.
So,imo, either it went over the edge and was damaged or it was hit by a vehicle and damaged prior to ending up in the water.
Another possibility is that she used the bike for a defense weapon. I typically bike in the mountains and the general rule is if you find yourself in trouble with a human,a mountain lion,a coyote or anything else use your bike for protection. Throw it, hit with it, or use it as a barrier as long as you can.

JMHO of course.

yep, provided of course her bike was light enough for her to swing. Mine is. If threatened mine would definitely turn into a very expensive weapon.

yep, provided of course her bike was light enough for her to swing. Mine is. If threatened mine would definitely turn into a very expensive weapon.
Mine too and it would be worth every penny. :) ETA: I do think even if the bike was not superlight we know she was smart,muscular and fit. I assume if the bike could have afforded any protection at all, and that is a big IF, then I think she would have been able to lift it and swing it to some degree using leverage or adrenalin.

If the perp had a gun with him a victim is somewhat at his whim, and would do most likely whatever he told her. But let's just hope this didn't happen. Prayer for Mickey and her family.

I used to walk a lot for exercise in my younger years. One time I was between two busy roads in a slightly wooded area. A car started to slow down and the man was gawking me. He was on my side of the street. I quickly went across to the other side thinking he couldn't turn his car around as fast, or it would be too obvious if he did. This was in daylight. At 2:00am a perp in a car has the advantage to a girl on a bike. The element of surprise is also a great advantage. If he hit her from behind or on the side to knock her down, she wasn't necessarily seriously hurt but enough for him to get out and grab her. Don't know if the WT has any merit but if so that trunk like contraption in the bed of a pick up looks terribly like a perfect spot to put a victim. I don't know much about these trucks but looking at them, this is MO.

The problem with being on a bike is a false sense of security, strength, and the perception that no one will attack a moving target. As a rider the biggest concern is being hit. The majority of passionate cyclists know this is always a chance, but unfortunately it does not deter us from riding.

I hope that Mickey has a safe return very soon. No one should ever go away doing something they love.

Also thinking out load here...two things came to mind when reading these posts. helpwithhope, that is an excellent, excellent point. And it made me think that they weren't removed for DNA reasons. They were removed to mask the identify of the bike. It has been stated (by LE and others alike) that WB is a known dumping ground for trash. A generic looking black bike washing ashore is much less likely to raise suspicion than a black bike with gold handgrips.

This also makes me think the person we're looking for is someone very familiar with the fact that Mickey changed out her handgrips to the custom gold ones. Let's take for granted that LE is correct in stating they believe the bike was dumped the morning she went missing...no information about her changing out hand grips from stock to custom had been released at that point. (no information had been released at that point). To strip the bike of the handgrips and throw them into the same murky water you threw the bike...why do that, unless you know that the gold handgrips would be an identifying item at a later date?

HouDat, I've got to disagree a little, but not completely here. It very possibly could have been panic driven. But the more I just look at what we know about Mickey, what we do have confirmed from LE, what lack of developments there have been...I am more and more convinced that this is someone who knew her very well. Whether she knew them very well? I'm still not sure. My gut tells me yes, but my heart doesn't want to believe it.
You make an excellent point that the separate disposal of the distinctive handgrips implies the perp knew Mickie well enough to know they were special handgrips. I'm wondering about the timing of the bike being dumped. If the bike was dumped after news reports describing the bike and its distinctive handgrips, then the perp might have been aware that this was something they were on the lookout for, and rather than knowing her, he may have heard the news and then removed them to conceal the identity of the bike.
I wonder how early after Mickey disappeared the first descriptions of her bike were broadcast?

Mickey,

It's the first official Sunday night of summer, and I really wish you were reflecting on all the fun stuff you did with your friends over the weekend. Today my roommate and I went to Ikea to look at all of the fun things they sell (and eat their super cheap meatballs, ha). I went for a run in the sunshine. I watched funny shows on Netflix. Now I'm making macaroni and cheese even though it's 10 PM here because I'm 24 and sometimes I eat dinner at 10 PM because I get distracted by more interesting things.

I wish that you could be enjoying your summer with your friends.

Please come home soon.

If the perp had a gun with him a victim is somewhat at his whim, and would do most likely whatever he told her. But let's just hope this didn't happen. Prayer for Mickey and her family.

Oh, I am sure someone out to do no good at 2 in the morning has plenty of tools at his disposal. I am sure a weapon is one of them.

This is from the Find Mickey Now website:" Update 5/29/12: Detectives with the Lafayette Police Department have released the condition of Mickey Shunick’s bike as it was found. The bike was found to be submerged except for a small section of the frame. The bike’s rear tire was found to be damaged. It is currently being processed by the Louisiana State Police Crime Lab. Detectives are hopeful that forensic experts can find evidence on the frame, handle bars and handgrips that were recovered at the scene."
It certainly sounds like the frame, handle bars, and handgrips were found together but apart.

The bike was submerged except for a small section of the frame... When I think of a frame, I think of something stripped down... I never really agreed with the bike being left there as a ruse, and this tends to support my thoughts, that it was left there in the hopes that it would be considered more trash and/or not linked to MS... Perhaps they hoped the seperated parts would disperse if it was to be discovered... And the fact that the water level was significantly higher around her disappearance also leads me to believe it was never meant to be found.
Jmo

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

My keyboard is taking a terrible beating!!! Once again this sure made me chuckle but I am going to have to switch to my laptop at this rate.

And my WS tip of the day. Glad Press and Seal over keyboards especially laptops save a ton of money and you can still type thru them and refresh them easily. Don't bunch when typing like the silicone covers.

This is from the Find Mickey Now website:" Update 5/29/12: Detectives with the Lafayette Police Department have released the condition of Mickey Shunick’s bike as it was found. The bike was found to be submerged except for a small section of the frame. The bike’s rear tire was found to be damaged. It is currently being processed by the Louisiana State Police Crime Lab. Detectives are hopeful that forensic experts can find evidence on the frame, handle bars and handgrips that were recovered at the scene."
It certainly sounds like the frame, handle bars, and handgrips were found together but apart.

Yes, it does. Thank you for that!

I am now going to go with the theory that the handlebars were removed from the frame and the two were dumped separately and the handgrips popped off after the fact due to reaction to the water.

The removal of the handlebars from the bike could have been done to get the bike into a vehicle or to disguise what the bike was/who it belonged to. I'm still a little iffy there. I will say that if this was a conscious crime (in other words, not an accident), I really don't think a perp would be driving around in a smallish vehicle, abducting girls. This includes both calculated crime and crime of opportunity. If you're going to be grabbing someone, you want a larger vehicle so it's easy to grab, toss in/disguise, and go. I'd think they'd at least have a moderately sized SUV. More likely a van or a truck where there are no back windows/a moving truck type vehicle. Perhaps I've got too much Law & Order Special Victims Unit running through my head...But, even with it's tinted windows, do you know how hard it would be to disguise a struggling person in the back of a car? You can see things through the tint, and unless Mickey was out cold or restrained completely but an individual who was not the driver, I would think she would be struggling. She would be trying to get the attention of other drivers on the road. And if I was one of those drivers I would now think, "Hey, when I was driving home from X bar on Friday, there was that person we were pointing at because they were so crazy/trying to ignore because they were so crazy/etc... maybe I should call it in?" But again, I could be giving people too much credit.

I go back and forth, back and forth, about what I think happened.

For one, I think we're all giving to much weight to the amount of traffic that would have been on the road at that time. I had this realization when I was out in what would be my city's (one of the largest cities in the US--not New Orleans if you're thinking that's where I live due to my name) equivalent of where Mickey had been/was traveling through. The area I was in was completely jam packed with literally thousands of people walking and driving about. Yet, if you stood on the side of the road and watched, there were definitely large lulls in activity. I'm talking several minutes of absolutely nothing. In one of the largest cities in the US on one of the busiest streets you could find at 2AM, someone could have easily grabbed me and everything I had with me (a bike included, if I'd had one), and even if I resisted and screamed for my life, no one would have noticed.

For another, I think we're giving way too much credit to the reputation of WB, and to only a local knowing about it. If you have driven through Louisiana more than once, you know about the Basin Bridge. You know the bridge is over a freaking swamp and you know there are a total of 3-4 (I can't remember exactly) exits on the entire bridge. The entire thing can be viewed as a good dumping ground. The first exit out of Lafayette, Exit 121, has the Visitor Center. No perp is going to dump there. The next exit? Whiskey Bay. It is realistically his first option. Let's not concentrate on the history of WB. Let's instead concentrate on the reality that hundreds of thousands of individuals use I-10 as a major corridor, thousands of them on a regular basis, and WB, both regardless of and in spite of its history is easily accessible to everyone and appealing to anyone trying to cover something up.

Third, all signs about Mickey point to that unless someone debilitated her in some way, she went of her own accord. Meaning she knew her attacker. Or, she ran away, which we've had no indication of.

Fourth, we have proof that Mickey has communicated with "strangers" while riding her bike home in the past. chicken fried (verified) spoke personally to a guard at the old OLOL hospital who had warned Mickey about the dangers of being out by herself in that area, and Mickey had sassily (not uncharacteristically of a 21 year old) brushed her off. All she had to do was stop for someone, and that would have been enough to execute an abduction. To get both her and the bike I feel it must have been 2 people, if this was the scenario, but it truly would have been an easy one. Think about it. MS stopped and talking to someone for whatever reason, that person grabbing her and muffling her screams, another person grabbing the bike. And they're gone. And no one saw anything.

It's truly just up in the air at this point. I am praying that LE's silence is reflective of the fact that they have something. Because if that's not the case, unless someone's guilty conscience makes them come forward (hopefully sooner than later), we're never going to know.

respectfully snipped.
I certainly hope they checked everyone who knew her, worked with her, hung out with her. I hope they don't have some invisible line blocking them from doing so (like we do here) or biased information from family or friends that don't want to believe it is somebody she or they know. :( Statistics show it is very likely somebody that knew her, well.

Mickey is only 22. High school was not that long ago. I'm getting close to 30 and still see people I went to high school with, even uf we did not know each other, all the time. It could've been a silent crush back then and a hi how are you, remember me? recently. Just something that popped in my head. Wonder what it would take to look in to her graduating class.

and to the person or persons who may be involved in the disappearance of Mickey, your life is a conviction waiting to happen. You will be found you will be punished. Speak now or forever hold your peace. If she is still with you, let her go!! One less crime against humanity.

I agree. This sicko didn't have a large car or truck, so he quickly disassembled her bike to dispose of it far away from where the bike would implicate him in this crime.

Im curious, where the bike was found was it normally in a deeper part of the water where boats pass? My reason for asking is, is it possible that a boat may have driven by and struck the bike and caused damage to it? A boater may have just thought it was some debris or something. Maybe in the process of it being hit dragged it just enough to place it in a shallower spot and it was discovered. Im not saying the boat dragged it for a while, but nudged it just enough to cause damage and reposition it.

Im curious, where the bike was found was it normally in a deeper part of the water where boats pass? My reason for asking is, is it possible that a boat may have driven by and struck the bike and caused damage to it? A boater may have just thought it was some debris or something. Maybe in the process of it being hit dragged it just enough to place it in a shallower spot and it was discovered. Im not saying the boat dragged it for a while, but nudged it just enough to cause damage and reposition it.

It is very possible the "fisherman" that found and reported finding it, did indeed bump into it with a boat. I assumed they saw it from shore, but your theory makes a lot of sense. My theory is that the abductor put the bike there, and that it was disassembled somewhat, at least the tire "dislodged".. rim could be bent from trying to break it down. Handlebars and grips probably still together but removed and discarded with the bike to keep everything under water as much as possible. Just my opinion. As far as special tools and a lot of work to disassemble a bike.. it is also a lot of work to disassemble a person and Jaren's killers did just that and threw her away in the water, hoping to never be caught. I am concerned still in regards to those two and any possibility they were in Lafayette. It's truly not unreasonable distance. Those that kill have no boundaries.

Also, did anyone post yet they arrested a man impersonating a cop when he pulled over a cop yesterday? Driving a white pickup truck and flashing lights in his windshield. Said he was a military officer from Louisiana?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ie-mistake-man-posing-cop-pulls-real-one.html

I think that Mickey's family and/or friends would know if she had some kind of enemy or someone was after her for some reason...and I do not believe they would "cover" for someone who abducted her and possibly worse. This is partly why I think this was random.

In most cases, it is someone the victim knows, but there is also an immediate suspects in many of those cases, whether or not it can be proven. I'm just not seeing that in this case. Also, Mickey's activities that night, and the timing of her departure for home, were not scripted; it would have been difficult to know where she would be, or to follow her all evening without being noticed.

I think that Mickey's family and/or friends would know if she had some kind of enemy or someone was after her for some reason...and I do not believe they would "cover" for someone who abducted her and possibly worse. This is partly why I think this was random.

In most cases, it is someone the victim knows, but there is also an immediate suspects in many of those cases, whether or not it can be proven. I'm just not seeing that in this case. Also, Mickey's activities that night, and the timing of her departure for home, were not scripted; it would have been difficult to know where she would be, or to follow her all evening without being noticed.

That's true, her evening wasn't scripted so it would have to be:
1. Someone who called or text her knew she was headed home alone
2. Someone saw her riding alone between Ryan and Landry and stalked her
3. Some hoodlum that hangs out on Congress and Parkside or a neighbor who was was mad at BW, saw her leave from The corner of Ryan and Parkside, alone and followed her to get even.

I'm not positive but I believe she went to the same place the night before, or 2 nights before for a special event that Rolling Stone magazine was in town to cover the band playing at artmosphere. So it may not have been scripted, but the seed may have been planted in an abductor's mind if he saw her there and on her bike riding home shortly before the bars closed. Can anyone confirm that it was the same bar the night before and/or 2 nights before? And that she rode her bike to & there?

I do not know BW, or MS but I looked at his FB profile and he seems to be a serious rider. A lot of people are not fond of sharing the road and as a serious rider you have to be tough at times. Perhaps he got into a spat with someone while riding with MS, and they paid it forward so to speak.

They took his bike as a warning, and then took her's with her on it.

Just my opinion.

I said this earlier on that there was the possibility this was all about BW and not MS and was in retaliation for something.

5/9 BW bike missing, found in cemetery
5/19 MS & bike missing, found in WB (bike) and ???

I have been confused about BW and if he is bisexual. It was said he had a GF who MS had been friends with & she had a falling out with.There was an odd comment he made about him & Mickey joking about which one of them could pick up guys faster. Was he implying he was bi or gay or that Mickey had difficulty meeting guys? If he is not heterosexual, did he at some recent time get MS to go talk to some guy and introduce them
and the guy get really offended when he realized it was not cute little MS that was after him but BW?
So many ideas and no answers....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members