LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #31

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to look that up to be honest. I had no clue it was called that. I've cut through there before as my friend lived right near there but I had no clue that it had a name. Not sure why it is called that but there are no horses or horse tracks any where near there. (maybe back in the day but now its right in the middle of the city)

And I have no idea how I'd even begin to get a description of the victim tbh as her name etc hasn't been released to the public.

I found this site http://goodnightraleigh.com/2008/03/horse-track-alley/ which explains that it was probably named as a nod to the old fairgrounds racetrack that I guess doesnt exist anymore? So, no ties to Mickey and her horses.

I did a google search for horse boarding in Raleigh. There are several within 10 miles of Raleigh.

I also used the unaltered images, but I believed to be edited before release, at least as far as levels is concerned. So I used levels by way of my darkest and lightest point on each photograph to make sure the
tonality of the images were as close to the same as I could get them. Then I tried like the dickens to make sure I accurately picked the center or same center pixel is each photograph and got the same reading. Did you do anything to match tonality in both photographs before hand?

I also believe that some alteration to both images had been done before LE released them in an attempt to clarify them.
However, the overall tonality between the two is close. See my post here.
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8102223&postcount=1171"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - LA LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #31[/ame]
The alterations that LE performed weren't significant enough to create a 310 point change in hue, in my opinion.

Parallel, coincidence or serial predator?

I am still catching up, and responding to relevant posts but I want to ask if anyone has emailed this news story to LE? I am sure the LE network is right on it for similar crimes like this but just in case? If no one has, I will.. :)

I am still catching up, and responding to relevant posts but I want to ask if anyone has emailed this news story to LE? I am sure the LE network is right on it for similar crimes like this but just in case? If no one has, I will.. :)

As far as I know no one has sent this to le in LA.

We don't know for certain that it was the white truck that was involved in Mickey's disappearance. Anything could have happened off camera and on a dark side street out of a camera's view. I agree with Foxfire that it takes finesse to just tap a bicycle, and possibly some practice...

Yes, it does. I also believe the white truck might not be a suspect, just the last car they have on camera with her.

Agree. The girl in North Carolina was bumped by the perp. when she slowed at an intersection.

What would the traffic have been like at St. Landry & W St. Mary that night @ 2am? If Mickey hit a red light would she have been able to sail thru it or would she have had to stop and wait for the green because of vehicular traffic? Or would she have just obeyed the red?

That time of night it's probably smart to obey the red, does not mean she did though.

Police still hunting suspect in Raleigh attempted rape

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/06...ll-hunting-cameron-village.html#storylink=cpy

With the bike placed on top of the SUV, the driver instead took the woman to Horse Track Alley of Clark Avenue, parked, grabbed the victim and indicated he intended to rape her. She fought her way out of the vehicle and hid nearby until the suspect fled, leaving the bike behind.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/06...ll-hunting-cameron-village.html#storylink=cpy

Yes, I emailed LPD as well as called crime stoppers NC..

Irony is that Raleigh Crimestoppers had no idea of Mickey Schunick's abduction with the same MO, one month earlier; jurisdictional linkage blindness.

"Guess, the wind blew away the piece of paper with this info on it"..

Yes, this happened very close to NCSU. I haven't hit the bars in a long time but there used to be (and I'd suspect still are) a bunch of bars on Hillsborough Street which is very close to where this happened. However, she was hit on Chamberlain and Stafford which is a residential area. It would have been pretty quiet there I'd suspect. I'm trying to put it on a Google map for you.

No alcohol can be served after 2am so most bars kick everyone out around 230am or so.

Adding a map.

A-Harris Teeter (where I suspect the video footage of the suspect came from)

B-where the victim was hit

C-where he took her

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Oberlin+Rd&daddr=Stafford+Ave+to:Horse+Track+Alley,+Raleigh,+NC+27607&hl=en&sll=35.790143,-78.664711&sspn=0.002885,0.006132&geocode=FZEiIgIdRrNP-w%3BFV4eIgIdu6lP-w%3BFe4XIgIdqqRP-yll4JULjfWsiTGsvcr7JALFlw&oq=chamberlain+s&gl=us&mra=ltm&t=m&z=17

hmm took her in a residential area- dark, quiet, and probably no traffic or cameras.

I had to look that up to be honest. I had no clue it was called that. I've cut through there before as my friend lived right near there but I had no clue that it had a name. Not sure why it is called that but there are no horses or horse tracks any where near there. (maybe back in the day but now its right in the middle of the city)

And I have no idea how I'd even begin to get a description of the victim tbh as her name etc hasn't been released to the public.

and it will not be due to the nature of the crime.

I am wondering if a carnival/fair was in town....

Excellent idea! IIRC, there was a carnival in Lafayette at the time Mickey went missing; I think it was ending that Saturday. Can someone find out the name of the carnival company and track down their schedule, to see if by any chance there was also a carnival in Raleigh on or around June 18?

Thanks!

hmm took her in a residential area- dark, quiet, and probably no traffic or cameras.

On Chamberlain St, around the corner from Horse Track Alley with the google guy is a DWT that looks close to one of DWT's...a Ford.. :) I am sure in no way related, they are everywhere...these two instances are just much too much alike for my liking.

Excellent idea! IIRC, there was a carnival in Lafayette at the time Mickey went missing; I think it was ending that Saturday. Can someone find out the name of the carnival company and track down their schedule, to see if by any chance there was also a carnival in Raleigh on or around June 18?

Thanks!
Was it North American Midway Entertainment ? http://www.namidway.com/fairs-events

Thanks!
I already checked it out. The carnival company that was here does not travel to NC. I did check for other carnivals/fairs that may have been in Raleigh around the date the incident happened and did not run across any events.

The incident could just be a coincidence but the details are so eerily similar.

Anyway, point being there are cameras everywhere in Lafayette. For her or the truck or the perp or something to not be caught on a camera somewhere past the LCG building would be next to impossible. It's again the fact that it's just too much work and expense to review all that. And if they did do it, they sure don't want the public knowing it because then after every crime ever people would be demanding all those same cameras be checked. And as far as the tower dumps, yeah its lots of records to sift through, but there are many documented cases where crimes were solved by doing just that. And again, it's a time/expense/resource issue. And if they did that, then once again everyone would be demanding they do it for every crime. And that is just far too much work and money to do that.

I agree with you. The cameras and everything else burn me up as well. I said it long ago that more people should put security into their own hands. If everyone, and everyone they know put security cameras on their properties and businesses, then we'd no longer have to rely on LPD and their silence/misinformation and politics

BBM

I'd be really shocked if this was the attitude. This is a potential/likely murder enquiry.

Or am I just a naive Englishman?:waitasec:

Police still hunting suspect in Raleigh attempted rape

With the bike placed on top of the SUV, the driver instead took the woman to Horse Track Alley of Clark Avenue, parked, grabbed the victim and indicated he intended to rape her. She fought her way out of the vehicle and hid nearby until the suspect fled, leaving the bike behind.

Very interesting. I have two main questions. I wonder if there was any debris at all left behind from the 'accident.' And I wonder if there were any witnesses or anyone who even noticed the incident.

I already checked it out. The carnival company that was here does not travel to NC. I did check for other carnivals/fairs that may have been in Raleigh around the date the incident happened and did not run across any events.

The incident could just be a coincidence but the details are so eerily similar.

Thanks for researching this. I agree the coincidences are eerily alike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3