LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #31

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just think it silly to suddenly be scared because one person around you was abducted recently.

All you have to do is look through the many threads in this forum to see how many people go missing and/or are murdered in any given year in a variety of places in the US.

There are literally hundreds of sex offenders living within 5 miles of me. Those are the ones who have been caught. How many more have not yet been caught? How many more haven't yet acted on their urges? And how many will escalate to abduction and murder eventually if they are not caught before it gets that far? You cannot analyze this type of thing statistically.

If you were not vigilant before you ever heard of Mickey Shunick, it could have been you. Even if you were, it still could have been you. And it doesn't matter if you live in Lafayette or some tiny town across the country.

So the bottom line remains we truly do not know. Thank you.

Correct. I was I guess more worried that a statement like that "he failed" would send rumors a flyin'. It was way off base, IMO.

But, we do not know either way. Does not matter at this point anyway

Correct. I was I guess more worried that a statement like that "he failed" would send rumors a flyin'. It was way off base, IMO.

But, we do not know either way. Does not matter at this point anyway

I am sorry but it does matter. Many people read these boards thus the facts as we know them must be correct.

Too many times I have seen things taken as fact when they have not been which in turn creates much more work for the moderators as well as additional confusion for the posters.

I really don't see why women in general would feel threatened unless they are also riding their bicycles at 2 AM.

This wasn't an abduction that occurred during the day. This wasn't a home invasion.

There have not been multiple victims thus far.

Women (and everyone in general) should always be vigilant. These types of things are RANDOM. That means it could happen to ANYONE, ANYWHERE, and at ANY TIME.

I think perps sometimes get more brazen as they have more successes. And maybe many women would think twice about riding/walking home alone at 2am now, but what about jogging at 6am when there aren't necessarily a lot of people around (one of Sean Vincent Gillis's victims was taken this way- hit with car while jogging then taken in the early morning - but it was daylight) or walking anytime of day where there's not much traffic or a lag in traffic (many residential areas are pretty dead mid-day, or taking groceries inside of their home (DTL probably got into Murray Pace's house this way), etc. Anytime you're alone even for a few minutes, it's a possibility if the perp happens to be out and about and you were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Yes, 2am is more likely to be the wrong time, but really, it could almost be anytime....if the perp happens to be out as well. And if said perp follows and stalks the victims a little bit before (like DTL is believed to have done), eventually at some point he will find you alone.

I worry that too many women are blowing it off like "I would never ride/walk home alone at 2am." it could happen anytime. And I don't even want to tell you how many people in Lafayette have said to me about Mickey's case "well, don't ride your bike home at 2am" or "she shouldn't have been riding her bike at 2am" and blow it off like this could never happen to them, because it could, almost anytime/anywhere throughout their days. I think they say it to feel safer, not be scared, and deny there may be some sort of predator they could be victim of rather than a knock at Mickey, if that makes sense.

I just think it silly to suddenly be scared because one person around you was abducted recently.

All you have to do is look through the many threads in this forum to see how many people go missing and/or are murdered in any given year in a variety of places in the US.

There are literally hundreds of sex offenders living within 5 miles of me. Those are the ones who have been caught. How many more have not yet been caught? How many more haven't yet acted on their urges? And how many will escalate to abduction and murder eventually if they are not caught before it gets that far? You cannot analyze this type of thing statistically.

If you were not vigilant before you ever heard of Mickey Shunick, it could have been you. Even if you were, it still could have been you. And it doesn't matter if you live in Lafayette or some tiny town across the country.

I am not suddenly scared...I can take care of myself, and what I can't my double barrel pistol can.. what I am is suddenly disappointed in the people who protect and serve us. So don't judge me, or the women in this town, who do not feel protected.

No no no, I am sorry again. I meant the fact of whether he passed or failed does not matter. He is not a POI. Cannot be sleuthed. Does not matter in this context whether he passed or failed.

I will go to edit my previous post as not to cause more confusion...

You're right - everyone should be vigilant no matter where they live. It just seems like some people are still not being vigilant in the area despite what happened to Mickey (and of course many are, but the ones who have indicated to me that they're not blow my mind)...

I think perps sometimes get more brazen as they have more successes. And maybe many women would think twice about riding/walking home alone at 2am now, but what about jogging at 6am when there aren't necessarily a lot of people around (one of Sean Vincent Gillis's victims was taken this way- hit with car while jogging then taken in the early morning - but it was daylight) or walking anytime of day where there's not much traffic or a lag in traffic (many residential areas are pretty dead mid-day, or taking groceries inside of their home (DTL probably got into Murray Pace's house this way), etc. Anytime you're alone even for a few minutes, it's a possibility of the perp happens to be out and about and you were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Yes, 2am is more likely to be the wrong time, but really, it could almost be anytime....if the perp happens to be out as well. And if said perp follows and stalks the victims a little bit before (like DTL is believed to have done), eventually at some point he will find you alone.

I worry that too many women are blowing it off like "I would never ride/walk home alone at 2am." it could happen anytime. And I don't even want to tell you how many people in Lafayette have said to me about Mickey's case "well, don't ride your bike home at 2am" or "she shouldn't have been riding her bike at 2am" and blow it off like this could never happen to them, because it could, almost anytime/anywhere throughout their days. I think they say it to feel safer, not be scared, and deny there may be some sort of predator they could be victim of rather than a knock at Mickey, if that makes sense.

I don't disagree with you. I am just saying it is absurd to suddenly be afraid because the perp who did this is still out there. What about the other perps who have been out there for years or the future perps who just haven't acted yet?

I am not suddenly scared...I can take care of myself, and what I can't my double barrel pistol can.. what I am is suddenly disappointed in the people who protect and serve us. So don't judge me, or the women in this town, who do not feel protected.

What is LE supposed to do? If a person is abducted at random by a stranger and no body is found and no personal property with foreign DNA is found, they are relying on someone who is going to randomly call in a tip. Even if foreign DNA is found, that doesn't mean they will be able to match it to anyone.

LE is under no obligation to tell the public anything because that could potentially compromise the investigation. If you look into other cases of stranger abduction, you will see that information isn't released sometimes for DECADES.

I really don't see why women in general would feel threatened unless they are also riding their bicycles at 2 AM.

This wasn't an abduction that occurred during the day. This wasn't a home invasion.

There have not been multiple victims thus
far.

Women (and everyone in general) should always be vigilant. These types of things are RANDOM. That means it could happen to ANYONE, ANYWHERE, and at ANY TIME.

I think finding him now insures this is the case. I'd rather not wait to see whether or not there's going to be more than one abduction.

Nutkin-just wanted to clarify-I'm not expressing frustration with your post but I guess responding to more of what I see-people who are unconcerned even with this happening in their backyards as the weeks pass (not all by any means, but enough to blow my mind).

I definitely agree with you everyone should always be vigilant.

I just don't want anyone in the area (and everywhere) to forget this case or rationalize not needing to be vigilant at all times (even if they aren't out alone at 2am), if that makes sense. And after we find the perp, we have to remain vigilant because there are far too many out there.

I don't disagree with you. I am just saying it is absurd to suddenly be afraid because the perp who did this is still out there. What about the other perps who have been out there for years or the future perps who just haven't acted yet?
When things like this happen it is wake up call and reminder. My dh and I go around about this all the time. I ride in very remote areas as I do more mountain than road biking and I go alone every day. he fears for my safety on several levels and while I am cautious it doesn't stop me, because it is my addiction. But tonight when I was riding I have to admit I looked behind me a lot more than usual- as a matter of fact so much so that I ate dirt due to my distraction LOL. It wasn't pretty.

Point is, I live nowhere near this situation, I was riding at twilight but still and all Mickey's case reminds me how vulnerable I make myself at times and it created a healthy "fear/caution-reminder" for me even though it is something I already know. I get lazy about it and I shouldn't.

JMHO of course.

Why is it silly? When someone is abducted near your home/work/whatever, it resonates more profoundly than other incidents. Just because someone is shaken due to this case, it doesn't mean they were naive or not vigilant before this. It just means that there is a person freely walking the streets of their town, shopping at the same stores, going to the same places as them, etc. it's nerve wracking and is terrifying. Of course it can happen to anyone at anytime. I think everyone understands that. It's just...different when it hits so close to home. It's no longer a news story...something that you can emotionally detach yourself from while still being aware that it's a scenario than can, unfortunately, strike at any moment. IMO.

i read in a news article (one of the early ones) that he passed. we are talking about Bretley, right? I don't know of any Brad in this scenario

The article I read said that he took the polygraph. LE would not comment on whether he passed it or not when asked.

http://www.katc.com/news/update-rape...fayette-hotel/

Two women raped in Broussard today were picked up at a Lafayette motel on Cameron Street. They were picked up by two men - the rape suspect, 26-year-old Terrance Lee, of Broussard, and another man. Lee was a passenger in the unidentified man's white extended cab truck, and the driver dropped off the women and Lee at abandoned house in Broussard, Police Chief Brannon Decou said. The house is located at 207 Gustave St., and around 11:49 this morning the women ran out, with their mouths duct taped and they were wearing only shirts. "The victims claimed that they were each raped at knife point after being duct tapped on the face by Terrance," Decou said.

Both women are 39-years-old and were treated at a local hospital. Chief Decou said Lee confessed to having sex with both women. Lee is in the Lafayette Parish Correctional Center charged with 2 counts of Aggravated Rape. Broussard police are still looking for the driver of the truck, and Decou said whether the man will be charged with a crime is undetermined.

That is a quote from the previous thread. The site wouldn't let me quote it because that thread was closed. If you check the article, that wasn't today...that was December ...last year. I'm glad some of you have "The sight" because of Red Eye gravy,... but if you don't mind.. could we leave the Twilight Zone and get back to maybe facts or ideas that could help find Mickey?

Wow, that article is alarming and maybe more. I saw one earlier that said the guy with the truck was not charged. So, it was a white extended cab?! Could these two be working together?

When things like this happen it is wake up call and reminder. My dh and I go around about this all the time. I ride in very remote areas as I do more mountain than road biking and I go alone every day. he fears for my safety on several levels and while I am cautious it doesn't stop me, because it is my addiction. But tonight when I was riding I have to admit I looked behind me a lot more than usual- as a matter of fact so much so that I ate dirt due to my distraction LOL. It wasn't pretty.

Point is, I live nowhere near this situation, I was riding at twilight but still and all Mickey's case reminds me how vulnerable I make myself at times and it created a healthy "fear/caution-reminder" for me even though it is something I already know. I get lazy about it and I shouldn't.

JMHO of course.

Okay, I have lived in SoCal and you need to ride armed. Seriously. If you can't get a CCP, then arm yourself anyway. You KNOW there are so many creeps and psychos out there!!! Not to mention possible encounters with a lion. Wear it in a shoulder holster. It could well save your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne