LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I first looked at the west facing camera..I did see the water on the east facing view..What I'm asking about now is what link is showing "LE & a boat on the water" in 'real time' from the DOT site..TIA!

That's the only one I know of at the moment. If you look at the images, you can see the vehicles underneath the bridges, and periodically you can see people moving around between the two, and approaching the water, among other things. I think the area is used as a boat launch anyway, so if the bike was found around there, and the command center is located where the cars are, I think it's safe to assume they'd launch boats from there.

I don't think this will help much, but it's a different view of the 'area' Mickey's bike was found. It was just tweeted by a WAFB TV news anchor.

https://twitter.com/#!/CherylMercedes

Cheryl Mercedes ‏@CherylMercedes
Multi-agency search at Whiskey Bay. This is where detectives say fishermen found Mickey Shunick's bicycle.

https://p.twimg.com/AuAA9hgCQAA4X5r.jpg:large

Edit: The photo seemed too big (blows the margins of the forum) So I just included a link to the photo instead.
Yes, margins blown, can you possibly resize the photo? If not, a mod will have to fix it.

Wish I knew if we were looking east or west, but the tower should explain orientation to a local or anyone willing to research it. But then we don't know what perimeter was marked off with tape. :banghead:

This photo seems to imply that the bike was found underneath or to the side of the outer edge of I-10, rather than the inner edge (with respect to the direction of travel and the opposite direction bridge).

But I take the description with a grain of salt. :)

We need more details.

Let? Send? She's a grown woman and I believe she can go where she wants when she wants. How many times had she ridden home before with no problems? It SHOULD be safe to ride your bike home. It really bothers me when the victim blaming begins.

Yes, she is a grown woman and she could do what she wants. I was certainly not trying to blame any victim. And yes, it should be safe to ride your bike. But, let's face it. It's not safe. It's not safe to be riding or walking around alone in the middle of the night. I don't care if you are a man or a woman. But, I think it's especially true for women. I am in my 20's and I have always been paranoid about walking around alone at night. I think my mom instilled that in me, but when I was in college, I refused to walk anywhere alone at night. If I went out to a bar with friends and we drove separately, we would either make sure we all parked near each other or would drive the other person to their car.

We do not live in a safe world anymore. And in the middle of the night, there are more shady people out and about and less people in general out, which makes it easier to commit crimes. As I said in my previous comment, I work at a university and we get notified of every crime that occurs whether it be a robbery or assault. Almost all of them occur in the middle of the night. Just last year, a male graduate student was abducted and killed by 3 escaped convicts. And guess what he was doing when this happened? He was walking home in the middle of the night.

I don't ever want to place blame on a victim, but I think too many young people today don't think about just how dangerous the world is. Schools and parents need to stress to their children how important it is to be aware and to make decisions that will keep them out of harm's way. Walking around in the middle of the night is never a good idea, especially for a young woman. There are dangerous people out there and we cannot change that. But, what we can do is spread awareness on how to be safe.

Again though, I do not blame any victim, I blame the people who do bad things to these people. I am praying for Mickey's safe return.

Yes, margins blown, can you possibly resize the photo? If not, a mod will have to fix it.

Wish I knew if we were looking east or west, but the tower should explain orientation to a local or anyone willing to research it. But then we don't know what perimeter was marked off with tape. :banghead:

This photo seems to imply that the bike was found underneath or to the side of the outer edge of I-10, rather than the inner edge (with respect to the direction of travel and the opposite direction bridge).

But I take the description with a grain of salt. :)

We need more details.

Looking west, it seems as though there is a visitors center or something along the loop there under the bridge. Can't really tell what exactly it is.

Okay, Lauren and Mickey were both anthropology majors of similar build and age, blonde, and each disappeared in the wee hours. As the white pickup truck in the former case has been dismissed as a factor, I'm failing to see alarming similarities here, especially since Bloomington and Lafayette are 14.5 hours apart. Am I missing something? Is there an anthropology-minded kidnapper on the loose? Are they grasping at straws?

Perhaps a professor (helper, aid, etc...) in common between the two Universities? People transfer jobs quite often....

(Sorry if this has already been suggested.. I am behind on the threads...)

Perhaps a professor (helper, aid, etc...) in common between the two Universities? People transfer jobs quite often....

(Sorry if this has already been suggested.. I am behind on the threads...)
Not that I would actually be sleuthing such a thing, but a cursory search of possible connections between UL-Lafayette and IU-Bloomington anthropolgy departments didn't yield anything substantial.

Would be the height of weirdness were that angle to figure in.

My fault Cazzie, I was reading too fast and trying to do multiple things at once (one thing at a time stymies me, I should know better!) whilst readying a thread on the Queen's Diamond Jubilee this weekend, of all things.
Fault? :waitasec: wth? ;)

Is it bizarre (or wrong) that when I read those words, I thought of horse races, specifically the Triple Crown? ;) really, I did! Royalty...diamond-encrusted crowns...that's my excuse. My brain then switched to when I serendipitously channel-surfed to catch this year's 2nd race just in time.

Indirectly on topic for Mickey (horses). :heart:

Some women :angel: get married, even twice, without changing their name. I've even heard of men (rare) who change their name (altho usually they do the hyphenated thang).

Mickey's mother's last name seems irrelevant...it's been stated by locals that Mickey lives with her parents.

:waitasec:

Right, of course. Many women keep their names when they get married. I guess I was just wondering if maybe Mickey had 2 "homes" so to speak. But apparently she doesn't so it's a moot point.

When I think about it, it doesn't seem plausible that an abductor would take the extra time or trouble to grab the bike, too.

It makes far more sense for him to just grab Mickey and split.

Like you said, Woe, it seems likely, now, that Mickey's bike had been left behind, only to be snatched up by some unsuspecting bike thief who dumped the Schwin when he realized the bike was much hotter than he ever could have imagined.

JMO

If this is the case, I sincerely hope the bike thief takes stock of his conscious and reports to LE asap to confess what they did. It's really important to know the truth regarding the circumstances of the bike to help solve the case. Was it left behind in the specific place MS was abducted from? LE needs to know that. What time did the thief encounter the bike? LE needs to know that. When did the thief unload the bike? LE needs to know that.

The bike thief, if he acted out of fear, will not get in trouble by telling the truth. He needs to do the right thing and come forward. By doing so, he'll be rewarded through creating good karma and may even get a decent bike of his own - as a reward. If a kid took the bike, he'll not want this on his head the rest of his life - do the right thing!

Not that I would actually be sleuthing such a thing, but a cursory search of possible connections between UL-Lafayette and IU-Bloomington anthropolgy departments didn't yield anything substantial.

Would be the height of weirdness were that angle to figure in.

What about a student transferring ??

You have been the second person to say this, and not sure where you are getting that info, but they do have the same last name, are married, and Mickey lives with them.

She has been referred to as Nancy Rowe on the news and in print stories... But also as Nancy Shunick. I think that's why the question comes up.

Looking west, it seems as though there is a visitors center or something along the loop there under the bridge. Can't really tell what exactly it is.

The visitor center is at exit 121 (butte la rose). Whiskey bay is the next exit 127

IDK. Going by the many posts here by locals, it's just a boat ramp. Someone said there's not even a bathroom.

Plus, now that I've seen it (by traffic cam)...2 "driveways" with lots of parking on the side and in the middle for trucks with boat/ATV trailers and other vehicles.

Do we know with reasonable certainty where exactly Mickey vanished yet?

And how far would that be from the people at the gas station on the released surveillance video?

Mickey's Bike Location - General Location

Attachments

• mickeybikelocation.jpg
    mickeybikelocation.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 76
  • facingwest.jpg
    facingwest.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 59
  • facingeast.jpg
    facingeast.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 56
  • closerbikeroadway.jpg
    closerbikeroadway.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 58
Cheryl Mercedes' photo appears to be taken while standing under the ramp used to enter back onto the interstate westbound and I believe the news stated that it was the west bound ramp. That would make me believe the creep exited from the east, made the loop to the west side, dumped the bike and headed back to Lafayette. jmho.

New thread coming, probably within the hour.

Remember: if you need to ask a mod a question about one of your posts or someone else's, click on the red exclamation point at upper right of that post, then type in question in the box on the subsequent screen.

OT but every time I see you post, I wonder what your name means... someone earlier said they figured it out and it's been driving me crazy all day! :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot!