LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
And again, where's the water? I was under the impression it was in the immediate area right below the exit ramp where the bike was found under the bridge..Sorry to harp on this but so far I still don't have an answer.

Put these coordinates into Google Earth: 30°22'00.39" N 91°37'51.12" W

If you don't have Google Earth, download the program. it's indispensible.

What about a student transferring ??
Could be. Probably would have to delve into Google news and read a bunch of local papers, though if it were a grad student one would think one of the schools would announce it. Food for thought and research later.

Fault? :waitasec: wth? ;)

Is it bizarre (or wrong) that when I read those words, I thought of horse races, specifically the Triple Crown? ;) really, I did! Royalty...diamond-encrusted crowns...that's my excuse. My brain then switched to when I serendipitously channel-surfed to catch this year's 2nd race just in time.

Indirectly on topic for Mickey (horses). :heart:
Now Secretariat, now that was a horse (oh wait, seriously off-topic, the Triple Crown races back in '73!). It's hot here in Okie-land. Possible sunstroke here. I'm blaming that.

Just a little tip that my mom told me a long time ago. I believe she took a self defense class and the police man showed them a picture of a city street and a picture of a creepy desolate forest. Where would you rather die? He told them that if someone ever tries to threaten you with a gun or knife and make you go with them, you fight and tell them they'll just have to shoot or stab you right there in the street or parking lot. You have a better chance of survival, being found, and LE catching the perp.
It certainly would have helped Mickey.

Unless she went willingly with someone she knew. We still don't know that she didn't as there are no signs of violence, no items have been found tossed about - Mickey is just gone.

Someone she knows may have noticed her riding and said 'get in, I'll give you a ride home' and she did. That would explain why they had her bike and needed to ditch it too.

I'd still like to know more about her relationships and the people she had been out with the night before and/or those she had met up with the night her sister came into town, etc. Sorry if that offends anybody but that angle needs to be looked into imo.

Cheryl Mercedes' photo appears to be taken while standing under the ramp used to enter back onto the interstate westbound and I believe the news stated that it was the west bound ramp. That would make me believe the creep exited from the east, made the loop to the west side, dumped the bike and headed back to Lafayette. jmho.

That's what I believe happened too. I think because the reports say two fishermen found her, people assume they were in their boat. It's quite possible they were parking their truck and boat trailer under the interstate and saw the bike then.

Cheryl Mercedes' photo appears to be taken while standing under the ramp used to enter back onto the interstate westbound and I believe the news stated that it was the west bound ramp. That would make me believe the creep exited from the east, made the loop to the west side, dumped the bike and headed back to Lafayette. jmho.
The photos don't make it clear to me. Can someone going either East or West on I-10, exit AND get back onto I-10, rite at Whiskey Bay exit?

Maybe the ramps shown on the traffic cam are 2-way (2-directional)? (hate those)

Now Secretariat, now that was a horse (oh wait, seriously off-topic, the Triple Crown races back in '73!). It's hot here in Okie-land. Possible sunstroke here. I'm blaming that.

Completely OT-

That was some triple crown year

The bike was not found very far from Lafayette. That increases the odds that the person responsible is from Lafayette and is still around. Creepy.

Just a little tip that my mom told me a long time ago. I believe she took a self defense class and the police man showed them a picture of a city street and a picture of a creepy desolate forest. Where would you rather die? He told them that if someone ever tries to threaten you with a gun or knife and make you go with them, you fight and tell them they'll just have to shoot or stab you right there in the street or parking lot. You have a better chance of survival, being found, and LE catching the perp.
It certainly would have helped Mickey.

Yes, this is great advice. Follow your instincts always and don't let someone take you to another location. One of the best books about this and other personal safety advice is The Gift of Fear by Gavin DeBecker. I cannot recommend it highly enough, especially for women and girls.

Let us avoid all rumors of whether remains were found, whether today, yesterday, or a week ago. It only muddies the waters, and confuses posters who are catching up with the thread. If LE announces they've found something, only then should that something be discussed at all.

Unless she went willingly with someone she knew. We still don't know that she didn't as there are no signs of violence, no items have been found tossed about - Mickey is just gone.
For some reason, if she came to violence at the hands of someone she knew, someone she saw while biking home and went with willingly, that thought chills me more than all the "taken by thugs" scenarios I can imagine.

And you're right - there's nothing to suggest she did not disappear in that sort of scenario, not yet.

there are few facts available to us, but seem to be many "facts" based on assumptions.

the white truck theory seems to be a plausible one based on what we are shown and told...

many (internet) people closely examining video captures for any detail... while having just one more frame to interlace could enhance detail by as much as 100%.... (they) will have these frames...

FBI brought in early for a missing persons case certainly lends to a possible stalker/predator connection.

many people here have "done their homework" and are more familiar with this type of puzzle than i am so take what i say with a grain of salt.

available pics place in a certain order implicate white truck...
has or would the media ever release only certain pics or mix up an order to get you to see it how "they" want you to..? could white truck 1 be just running a late night food run, white truck 2 be a passerby and hooptie be out scoring a dime bag and all three are unrelated... could be... or could be not...
I will say, in the order the pics are presented, truck 1 could have turned left and should have been on camera of truck 2 at about that time... "we" cannot go by the timestamps because we dont know how far off the times on the camera were from actual time... they do.

i have been following along since the beginning when there was nothing to go on but did not actively look into it because following a missing persons case on the net is not my thing, no disrespect to the family, i am a father and this whole thing disgusts me to the core.

to me, one of my theories was obvious and involved the possibility of somebody leaving a bar because of the timing of last call and her last known sighting... this is days before released pics... when there was nothing to go on. then i hear someone say there was a dwi checkpoint nearby that night "possibly routing more intoxicated drivers to parts of her presumed path home" so i google some local bar locations and find a few near her path and one near her house and compare possible exit routs to her presume path... and fin a few bars of interest that line up... thinking this is too obvious... surly "they" would have checked this... an left it at that.

Then I hear there is a shooting in the parking lot of the main bar on my list an look into it. Two male friends arguing about something in the bar, they go outside... friend A grabs a gun from his car and shoots friend B in his car then goes to his car, shoots self in chest... friend A (shooter), a local, and friend B (victim) from out of town whose path would exactly cross hers at points on his way home. this type of crime among buddies seemed odd to me and is just days after this disappearance.

because it seemed obvious and i assumed they checked there first, i remained silent... after her bike being found in a place people are saying was obvious, and "we all assumed they checked there first" i feel maybe i should throw this one out there... still.

friend a or b hits (or abducts) MS after leaving bar that night... days later at the bar again friend a or b tells the other and the other threatens to report it, one shoots the other then shoots self.

it seems the fbi "knows" who they are looking for and always did... or they wouldn't be there at all... but what if it was not what "they" are looking for and it "was" an act of "chance" so this avenue has not fully been explored..? it would seem easy to investigate and discredit... should we "assume" they have?

peace to the family and all involved

wodalo, never assume. You seem to have done your homework and have presented some very plausible theories. Please report it to the tip line.
The FBI has come in on many missing persons investigations of late in various states due to their resources, experience, and IMO, the national focus on the increase of human trafficking & abductions. The BAU2/VICAP are a very valuable resource and have access to the big picture.

Another thing to potentially look into is that she did voluntarily leave the area. I know her family and friends think that isn't possible and that isn't something she'd ever do without letting them know.

But, she is in her early 20s and many times, that is the first time signs of mental illnesses show up. Not saying that is the case, but it is possible. There was an episode of "Disappeared" where a woman went missing and was found years later after she had some sort of amnesia or fugue state.

Also, sometimes we women meet the wrong guy. And maybe he doesn't harm us per se, but sometimes we do stupid things (like disappear for days at a time) without letting someone else know. It's happened before to women who you'd never suspect of either being involved with someone like that or someone who'd just up and disappear.

I am just trying to come up with scenarios where she is still alive.

Cassie, the ramps are one way ramps and yes, there are roads to loop around on to head back the same way you came from. There are exit and entrance ramps in both directions.

Everyone, Mickey, our fellow student and local is out there!!

Do what you can if you live in the area....

Know that the FBI is on the case for a reason and our suspect is more than likely more capable than our LAST serial abductor/killer(who had a 70 IQ).

The bike's location, to me, is a ploy. I am 22 and was young when Derrick Todd Lee was big new but my brother lived in Baton Rouge at the time and I was familiar with the case.

I honestly cannot ride past whiskey bay without thinking of Derrick Todd Lee. Let's not underestimate the capacity of evil that our suspect has. He could be a maniacle serial offender, or a local trying to stage something.

ETA: If indeed it is a serial offender, the FBI wouldn't inform the public, in an attempt to suppress the suspect's ego.

Just my opinion.

If the men who shot at each other are locals and knew one another, it would be easy for authorities to check them out to see if they had any link to MS and/or her circles.

I'm not familiar with the crime rate in Lafayette, but there are shootings here in Beaumont, TX, regularly. I'd even say a weekly basis. So, trying to connect a shooting that happened around the same time to an abduction is likely a waste of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ragnimom