LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi fellow sleuthers, few questions because I'm kind of late in following this case: the video of the white truck, did that truck get gas at the station or was it just in the parking lot? The cashier/ attendant would have a camera I would think.

Was the bike discovered north of the I-10 or south? To me, that could mean an indication of where she could be found since logically the bike would have been dumped after what ever happened to Mickey. For example, if she was taken further out east and the person lived back in town, they would want to get rid of the bike and might have done so before returning back home and it would be on the north side. Tell me if I'm mixing up my directions.

Could she have gotten in the truck with someone she knew? Too tired to ride the rest of the way? Just a thought.

Please tell me about the cadillac because I can't find anything about this!

The truck in question being a Z71 says a lot about where this guy is from to me. Why would somebody who lives in the city pay 50 grand for a 4 door top of the line 4 wheel drive truck? I'm thinking he's from a rural area like Cecilia or Breaux Bridge in which case he would know very well how to take the levee road to that area. Almost all of my friends who pay that much and own a Z71 are avid outdoorsman, fisherman or the truck is work related(farmer).

Wow, good thinking.

In that photo of the overpass where Mickey's bike was found, did I see orange traffic cones encircling an area right on the roadway down there? Several officials were standing around the cones as I recall.

Is it possible that these cones mark the spot where Mickey's bike was discovered?

I can't recall and I don't have a tab open with that photo. I just remember the overpass, a bunch of vehicles and the paved road. The news reports were her bike was found under the overpass and the cops set up their command center there, as well - which seems strange because you don't want to be trampling possible evidence. Could be the news didn't report it accurately.

OMG, what a terrible story. She could have been saved if someone didn't steal her bike. My God.

Mickey's bike was taken by the person who took Mickey. No doubt about it. Had a hoodrat found her bike, there is no way in hell they would drive 27 miles to a spooky exit where a serial killer dumped a body (previously)! No way, Jose. They would dump the bike in the hood. I am fearful that Mickey's abductor put her bike there to send a message. He's playing a mind game.

I'm one who thinks a second party may have happened on the bike and took it, later freaked and, yes, drove out there to dispose of it.

But -- I also see that the perp had a good reason to take it, initially, just so it wouldn't be at such-and-such location (assuming no one stole it) to give early clues to where Mickey was abducted, zeroing the investigation in on cameras, possible witnesses, etc., right at the spot. But later, it would make more sense to get rid of it, maybe. He could be sending a message, but he also could be diverting attention or just getting rid of something he wants to take no chance of being discovered in his possession.

We wouldn't be getting all the clues even if the FBI were not involved -- and for good reason, of course.

BTW, I think, even with the FBI involved, the more local LE still has a lot of control over what's released. I think what you read pertains more to what the FBI itself will/will not release -- does not seem FBI has taken over the investigation.

Curious about those other camera locations, too. You're sure that they have cams?

I think FBI is calling shots behind scenes, or at least I would like to. I agree with not releasing evidence of course, but all the while it's frustrating and I can't seem to reiterate it enough.

I know the hospital (which recently relocated) has cameras, but they may not work now. It isn't even 100 yards further down the road that Mickey was last seen from.

However if Martin & Castille funeral home does have cameras, which they should, then that would be the best one. I will personally ride by tomorrow and check it out. I am also going search tomorrow and will give updates.

Its there. I think it was after the second set of pictures came out. Not sure when but someone had said here on ws.

I'm the one that posted that the white truck on St Landry looked dirty and the one on W University didn't. However, the ones on St Landry were full of glare and the pixels were blown out so the 'dirt' could just be artifacts of the camera.

Hi fellow sleuthers, few questions because I'm kind of late in following this case: the video of the white truck, did that truck get gas at the station or was it just in the parking lot? The cashier/ attendant would have a camera I would think.

Was the bike discovered north of the I-10 or south? To me, that could mean an indication of where she could be found since logically the bike would have been dumped after what ever happened to Mickey. For example, if she was taken further out east and the person lived back in town, they would want to get rid of the bike and might have done so before returning back home and it would be on the north side. Tell me if I'm mixing up my directions.

Could she have gotten in the truck with someone she knew? Too tired to ride the rest of the way? Just a thought.

The truck thing is complicated -- seems there may two different trucks pictured in the video stills released. As far as we know, none got gas at the station -- station just captured in shots from the traffic cam that took two of the pics (of same or different trucks) passing by on the road.

The Caddy has not officially been IDed as a caddy -- stills of it were also released, and some older-car buffs here have tentatively identified it as a Caddy.

The road thing I can't help you much on, as I'm not local to the case.

I'll try to add a link to the stills of the truck/s and car here in a sec.

I guess it would be possible that the bike was dumped right in the middle of the road that goes underneath the overpass. That would definately be sending a message and would Aldo mean that the bike was dumped later. I looked at the pictures again and no police cars in roadway at all.. so I thougt maybe the bike could have been in the middle of the roadway. ????????

There is not much to do with North or South in this one. Her bike was found apparently right under the Interstate 10 bridge. However, whoever took her directly traveled East from Lafayette to where the bike was found. From there the suspect more than likely either traveled West on I-10 back to Lafayette, or got back onto I-10 and headed further West. Traveling North would indicate the suspect is a local with knowledge of very rough and small rural roads. Which would not be good.

OK, back with this for you -- you'll find pics of truck/s and car at this link:

http://findmickeynow.com/

And here's the Media Thread for this case, might help some:
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173725"]LA Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 * Timeline & Media Links ONLY * - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Also, check the previous (to this one you're reading now -- link on page 1 of this thread) thread for lots and lots of discussion -- sometimes quite confusing -- about the truck/s and car.

I'm one who thinks a second party may have happened on the bike and took it, later freaked and, yes, drove out there to dispose of it.

But -- I also see that the perp had a good reason to take it, initially, just so it wouldn't be at such-and-such location (assuming no one stole it) to give early clues to where Mickey was abducted, zeroing the investigation in on cameras, possible witnesses, etc., right at the spot. But later, it would make more sense to get rid of it, maybe. He could be sending a message, but he also could be diverting attention or just getting rid of something he wants to take no chance of being discovered in his possession.

Before her bike was found, I was open to the idea that a hoodrat found her bike after the abduction. Not now, though. That's because of where this bike was dumped. Everyone in Louisiana knows about the serial killer. That location is high profile because of those crimes and that body being dumped there. I think it's precisely why Mickey's abductor put her bike there. Some teenage who may have happened upon her bike would not drive to THAT spot to dump her bike.

Before her bike was found, I was open to the idea that a hoodrat found her bike after the abduction. Not now, though. That's because of where this bike was dumped. Everyone in Louisiana knows about the serial killer. That location is high profile because of those crimes and that body being dumped there. I think it's precisely why Mickey's abductor put her bike there. Some teenage who may have happened upon her bike would not drive to THAT spot to dump her bike.

I do understand what you're saying -- the bike dump there is eerie and creepy, with that previous connection. You may well be right. But, on the other hand, it seems (from reports today) that people dump trash and junk there all the time -- someone could have picked it just to dump the bike. I also think it's possible that they dumped it there (having stolen it) so that it WOULD be found -- not brave enough to come forward and say "Yeah, ok, I took the bike but not the girl", and yet wanting it AWAY from them because of the circumstances and even maybe wanting to let LE know "here's the bike, perp didn't take it, get any clues you can from it" -- wanting an abducted person found.

Not arguing with you at all, though -- your view makes sense to me as well

I think FBI is calling shots behind scenes, or at least I would like to. I agree with not releasing evidence of course, but all the while it's frustrating and I can't seem to reiterate it enough.

I know the hospital (which recently relocated) has cameras, but they may not work now. It isn't even 100 yards further down the road that Mickey was last seen from.

However if Martin & Castille funeral home does have cameras, which they should, then that would be the best one. I will personally ride by tomorrow and check it out. I am also going search tomorrow and will give updates.

There are cameras all over Martin and Castille. I noticed last time I was there for a funeral and wondered why a funeral home would need them. There's also one of the speed trap cams right across St Mary when you cross St Landry, and there used to be (maybe it's still there) a camera up on that pole in the empty lot catty corner from Lourdes on the corned next to the funeral home (across St Mary).

I'm wondering what is the significance of the fact that they won't release the condition of the bike.

Why would they not state if it was damaged (such an accident where she was hit and they took her and the bike to hide a drunk driving/homicide charge)?

I guess they are holding it back as information that only the perp would know.

Hopefully, with this being the Memorial Day weekend, people will be out on the water and looking in every possible place on the water for her.

I live about an hour/hour and a half north from where this is taking place and was born and raised in Louisiana. It is good to see so many people from Louisiana coming to WS to help out in finding Mickey. The people of Cajun country know their waterways and can help a lot in the search for her. Our parish (Louisiana doesn't have counties) has a sheriff's posse/flotilla that is always ready in case of a flood, hurricane, drowning, missing person etc.(Mr. Swamp is a member as well as a first responder) When hurricane Gustav hit overnight, at the first light of day, our farmers and fisherman were out there clearing roads and getting things done. They didn't wait for the gov't to come rescue them. They rescued and helped each other. That is our Louisiana spirit. If she is out there we will find her.

I also think it's possible that they dumped it there (having stolen it) so that it WOULD be found -- not brave enough to come forward and say "Yeah, ok, I took the bike but not the girl", and yet wanting it AWAY from them because of the circumstances and even maybe wanting to let LE know "here's the bike, perp didn't take it, get any clues you can from it" -- wanting an abducted person found.

very good logical reasoning.

i agree

I do understand what you're saying -- the bike dump there is eerie and creepy, with that previous connection. You may well be right. But, on the other hand, it seems (from reports today) that people dump trash and junk there all the time -- someone could have picked it just to dump the bike. I also think it's possible that they dumped it there (having stolen it) so that it WOULD be found -- not brave enough to come forward and say "Yeah, ok, I took the bike but not the girl", and yet wanting it AWAY from them because of the circumstances and even maybe wanting to let LE know "here's the bike, perp didn't take it, get any clues you can from it" -- wanting an abducted person found.

Not arguing with you at all, though -- your view makes sense to me as well

If the bike was found by a hoodrat and wasn't taken by the abductor, I firmly believe that it would still be in use, or dumped in a more convenient to someone who was desperate to steal a bike in the first place.

This correlation between Derrick Todd Lee and this case is far too convincing for me to believe otherwise. I'm thinking either a local is planting hints, or better yet a serial suspect is in action and indeed continued East down I-10 towards his best chance of a clean getaway.

I agree... a simple bike thief would never drive 50+ miles round-trip just to dump a bike... especially there... There are way too many other places around the city where they could have been rid of it.

notlaw said:
Why don't you go ahead and make a dedicated sub-forum for Mickey Shunick so we don't have a 150-page linear discussion. Then someone can make a new thread just to talk about the white truck, or to postulate possible kidnap theories, or to workout the correct order of the surveillance photos, etc etc.

Trying to find previously-shared useful info is near impossible right now. Nobody wants to click through 100+ pages of unrelated discussion and chit-chat. New people keep asking the same questions and other people are having to repeat themselves. We could have a much more coherent, organized, and sane community discussion with a dedicated sub-forum. Please add it! Thanks

Backwoods said:
I'm not a mod or anything close, but just jumping in to say that WS does have such dedicated sub-forums for some cases -- could happen for this one, I guess. Personally, I don't like when a case goes to that format (though many people do). I get lost. I guess a like a good old linear discussion.

A linear discussion isn't great for compounding community knowledge.

Firstly, a newcomer has to trudge through 120 pages just to get up to speed. This is absurd and almost no one will do it because most of it is idle chit-chat while everyone waits for new information to surface. Newcomers have a hard time getting up to speed.

Finding previously shared information is impossible. Where are the surveillance photos with the mostly likely order and times? I think on page 13 of thread 4. Or was it page 17 of thread 5? Forget it, I'll just use google to find the photos and try to figure out the order on my own again. Many wheels are constantly re-invented in a monolithic linear conversation.

Also, good ideas get buried quickly in the conversation. No one gets to add to an idea and expound on it unless they happen to be online and see it within a few minutes of it being posted. Or unless they trudge through pages of chit-chat everytime they visit this site.

This format is very inefficient and incongruent to figuring stuff out. It's suited to idle chit-chat while waiting for news of what the police have figured out. A threaded discussion facilitates building congregate knowledge. Right now Mickey Shunick discussion is at its peak and new info is crucial so now is the time to do it if we're actually going to sleuth anything useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member