LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the bike was found by a hoodrat and wasn't taken by the abductor, I firmly believe that it would still be in use, or dumped in a more convenient to someone who was desperate to steal a bike in the first place.

This correlation between Derrick Todd Lee and this case is far too convincing for me to believe otherwise. I'm thinking either a local is planting hints, or better yet a serial suspect is in action and indeed continued East down I-10 towards his best chance of a clean getaway.

I bet the reason the bike was dumped there is the same reason Derrick Todd Lee dumped bodies there: it's a vast and extremely isolated area.

I doubt he's purposefully giving hints to the police. Otherwise a note would work better or the bike chained up on the shoulder of the offramp or something obvious like that. I think he was just disposing of evidence and didn't expect such a massive search effort.

I really wish I didn't feel this way about the meaning of where the bike was found. I think Mickey's abductor is playing with the cops and everyone who was looking for that bike, which was so highly publicized. It's like a bad omen of his intent (as though the abduction, itself, wasn't understood). The association with what was found there not too long ago cannot be overlooked, imo. That her missing poster was just up the road is a terrible irony. I doubt whoever put it there traveled down that road.

When I first found the article about Mickey being abducted, I had this overwhelming sense that she was alive but that she would be killed. This guy needs to be found, immediately.

I bet the reason the bike was dumped there is the same reason Derrick Todd Lee dumped bodies there: it's a vast and extremely isolated area.

I doubt he's purposefully giving hints to the police. Otherwise a note would work better or the bike chained up on the shoulder of the offramp or something obvious like that. I think he was just disposing of evidence and didn't expect such a massive search effort.

Oh, come on. You don't abduct a woman and her bike and not expect a massive search effort.

Yes, that's a vast and isolated area but it's also an infamous area. There are lots of vast and isolated areas that are not infamous. Why put that bike right where a murder victim was dumped? Do the math.

I'm the one that posted that the white truck on St Landry looked dirty and the one on W University didn't. However, the ones on St Landry were full of glare and the pixels were blown out so the 'dirt' could just be artifacts of the camera.
Tank you. I looked and looked and it looks like dirt or dents(in the pic where you see the passenger side). I started to think that maybe that corner of the truck was wrecked and that the figure everyone saw and thought looked like a person when it was going in the opposite direction(towards the light) was the inside of the messed up wrecked corner.

In any case, I am thinking that the police saw actual videos in which you could see more detail of any and everything as it passed under street light.

I think that the reason why those two pictures of the same truck were put out there like that is because it is suspicious that it went down a street turned aroundand came up same street. I'd like to know what direction the truck came from before it turned?

Also, I want to make sure I get this right.(not good with street names)
1.Mickey turns onto street
2.truck turns down same street(1:48)
(Here is where I get mixed up)
3. Which one is comes next? Or does it matter?
......Mickey should show up on next camera and doesn't
Or......same truck comes back opposite direction coming up to light
And then the other two are stamped with times
4.land yacht (1:49)
5.other truck (1:51)

And I'd also like to know if anyone else thinks that le might intentionally obscure or blur parts of photos such as these which may explain why we all see or think we see certain things.like the crosswalk sign that certainly does resemble a person on a bike.. and also in the picture of the land yacht in front of the apartments I can vaguely see something that looks like a bike at least to my over imaginative eyes.

I agree... a simple bike thief would never drive 50+ miles round-trip just to dump a bike... especially there... There are way too many other places around the city where they could have been rid of it.

The thief might not have lived right in the city -- could have been just in town for some reason. May live out in the boonies, where that spot wouldn't be a 50-mile round trip.

I am leaning more toward the possibility of more than one abductors in this case, which I rarely do. It just seems a very unwieldy business to stop and grab a young woman and her bike, all without creating a disturbance, attracting attention, etc...also, how to get her into the vehicle and secured, and then pick up the bike? He/they could not have allowed themselves much time, IMO.

Oh, come on. You don't abduct a woman and her bike and not expect a massive search effort.

Yes, that's a vast and isolated area but it's also an infamous area. There are lots of vast and isolated areas that are not infamous. Why put that bike right where a murder victim was dumped? Do the math.

bbm: Maybe -- to make a bizarre connection, as in your theory, yes, entirely possible! But maybe, too: just a convenient, forsaken dump spot.

I bet even a lot of Louisiana folks who, yes, of course, remember the terror of those murders, wouldn't remember all the details about dump spots, etc.

If this abductor has committed multiple crimes of this type, or is heading down that path, he could be familiar, "studied up", on all the details, I agree. And if he is "copycatting" in that fashion, yes, it is really bad news.

But this could also be a different situation -- someone who knew Mickey -- someone who acted impulsively. In that case, they're not wanting to recall details of the DTL murders to the public's mind.

I think it is just too early for us to know for sure, so it's good to keep a bit of an open mind.

There are cameras all over Martin and Castille. I noticed last time I was there for a funeral and wondered why a funeral home would need them. There's also one of the speed trap cams right across St Mary when you cross St Landry, and there used to be (maybe it's still there) a camera up on that pole in the empty lot catty corner from Lourdes on the corned next to the funeral home (across St Mary).

As I have stated earlier on this thread, it is true that there are in fact better vantages with cameras, and this footage we the public have not seen and will not see. They may have located the vehicles necessary, therefore giving the public what LE needs to close the case. All the while, not letting the perp know they indeed have the footage.

The cameras are there. Nonetheless we have been given the most ambiguous footage possible...

The thief might not have lived right in the city -- could have been just in town for some reason. May live out in the boonies, where that spot wouldn't be a 50-mile round trip.

I don't want to believe my own theory :(

Location of Mickey's bike = ?

<respectfully snipped for space and focus>

I think that the reason why those two pictures of the same truck were put out there like that is because it is suspicious that it went down a street turned aroundand came up same street. I'd like to know what direction the truck came from before it turned?

Also, I want to make sure I get this right.(not good with street names)
1.Mickey turns onto street
2.truck turns down same street(1:48)
(Here is where I get mixed up)
3. Which one is comes next? Or does it matter?
......Mickey should show up on next camera and doesn't
Or......same truck comes back opposite direction coming up to light
And then the other two are stamped with times
4.land yacht (1:49)
5.other truck (1:51)

And I'd also like to know if anyone else thinks that le might intentionally obscure or blur parts of photos such as these which may explain why we all see or think we see certain things.like the crosswalk sign that certainly does resemble a person on a bike.. and also in the picture of the land yacht in front of the apartments I can vaguely see something that looks like a bike at least to my over imaginative eyes.

I think you've pretty much got the sequence thing right -- it's still confusing to me. And I think there are things we just don't know for sure, too.

I don't know about LE intentionally distorting images to keep certain things unknown to the public while still getting the photos of the vehicles out there. I guess it's possible -- in most cases, I'd think they would just not release the photos at all but -- I guess if they really need help finding the vehicles ...? I doubt it, but it's possible, I guess.

I was starting to see all kinds of stuff in the images after staring at them over and over last night!

As I have stated earlier on this thread, it is true that there are in fact better vantages with cameras, and this footage we the public have not seen and will not see. They may have located the vehicles necessary, therefore giving the public what LE needs to close the case. All the while, not letting the perp know they indeed have the footage.

The cameras are there. Nonetheless we have been given the most ambiguous footage possible...

Question would be, though, then why release any at all? If they've found the vehicles already, I mean. I agree that they may (I hope they do!) have footage that shows crucial stuff, that we haven't seen.

The fact that the bike was dumped at a site where Derrick Todd Lee dumped bodies and that a white truck is of interest (as was in Derrick Todd Lee's case) is just odd. I hope someone isn't trying to do a copycat type thing or something like that. It doesn't seem like the perp is trying to hide something but rather to bring attention to it.

I am leaning more toward the possibility of more than one abductors in this case, which I rarely do. It just seems a very unwieldy business to stop and grab a young woman and her bike, all without creating a disturbance, attracting attention, etc...also, how to get her into the vehicle and secured, and then pick up the bike? He/they could not have allowed themselves much time, IMO.

Based on the clues from stills of the video footage we've seen, for what they're worth, it would seem it had to be pretty quick.

Question would be, though, then why release any at all? If they've found the vehicles already, I mean. I agree that they may (I hope they do!) have footage that shows crucial stuff, that we haven't seen.

I KNOW and it was Confirmed that there are cameras on the corner of St. Landry and St. Mary, these caught the crime. They need the public's help, nonetheless, in locating the vehicles. Imagine how people, especially in this area, would react if they KNEW what happened and exactly what vehicles were responsible. LE wouldn't get the chance to get to them first.....

I think evidence from I-10 cameras will tell us more in the future.

The fact that the bike was dumped at a site where Derrick Todd Lee dumped bodies and that a white truck is of interest (as was in Derrick Todd Lee's case) is just odd. I hope someone isn't trying to do a copycat type thing or something like that. It doesn't seem like the perp is trying to hide something but rather to bring attention to it.

I completeley agree, and have been advocating this since the news broke.

I KNOW and it was Confirmed that there are cameras on the corner of St. Landry and St. Mary, these caught the crime. They need the public's help, nonetheless, in locating the vehicles. Imagine how people, especially in this area, would react if they KNEW what happened and exactly what vehicles were responsible. LE wouldn't get the chance to get to them first.....

I think evidence from I-10 cameras will tell us more in the future.

bbm: oops, sorry, I misinterpreted your previous post to be saying that you were theorizing that LE had already found the vehicles ... I'm bleary-eyed, sorry

Out at 3:13 am, Daily Advertiser:

"The mother of Michaela "Mickey" Shunick said she believes her missing daughter is the victim of an accident after police on Sunday found the 22-year-old college student's bicycle under the Whiskey Bay bridge on Interstate 10.

Police say Shunick's bicycle was found about 30 miles east of Lafayette near the swamps of the Atchafalaya Basin, and that Shunick's family confirmed it was her black-and-gold Schwinn.

"We really think that somebody had an accident," said Shunick's mother, Nancy Rowe. "An accident, and maybe hit her bike. What they need to do is go to some truck stop, a public place. Just drop her. By the time that they take an hour to figure out who she is, they can be in another state. Just drop her. Drop her and run. Don't hurt her. A mistake is a mistake."

Read the article here: http://www.theadvertiser.com/articl...ng-Mickey?odyssey=mod|breaking|text|FRONTPAGE

Based on the clues from stills of the video footage we've seen, for what they're worth, it would seem it had to be pretty quick.

Maybe it took two trips. Bike in one Mickey ran, loop around to catch Mickey on foot. Sid anybody else think of that? That maybe they meant to steal the bike since there are bike thiev in the area. Maybe she put up a strong fight and was injured they had to abduct her so that she wouldn't tell. ......just a thought. Maybe that's why there are two pictures of two separate vehicles doubling back and making laps around the block.

Or Mickey first go round and bike in the next so no evidence.

I bet even a lot of Louisiana folks who, yes, of course, remember the terror of those murders, wouldn't remember all the details about dump spots, etc.

I disagree (respectfully). Every time I pass by the Whiskey Bay exit, I cant help but think of DTL and the victims he dumped there. Not saying that this person is a copycat, but I'm sure he knows the story. As everyone else from the area has said, it is just an overwhelmingly creepy place.

Also agree that the person who abducted Mickey is the person who dumped the bike. A person who happened upon it and stole it either wouldn't have the transportation to get it out there (like if a kid found it or person without a car) OR they would have dumped it in town. No way they'd go through all that trouble.

Out at 3:13 am, Daily Advertiser:

"We really think that somebody had an accident," said Shunick's mother, Nancy Rowe. "An accident, and maybe hit her bike. What they need to do is go to some truck stop, a public place. Just drop her. By the time that they take an hour to figure out who she is, they can be in another state. Just drop her. Drop her and run. Don't hurt her. A mistake is a mistake."

Read the article here: http://www.theadvertiser.com/articl...ng-Mickey?odyssey=mod|breaking|text|FRONTPAGE

Thanks for posting! I guess there must be some damage to the bike for her mom to think there was an accident MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stella Stiletto