LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
this is not a cell!
And you never know it could save a life so dont knock it!

Her friend could have saved her life by not letting her leave alone that time of the morning on a bicycle! heck ride with her!!!!!!

Young ppl think nothing can happen to them.

Wrong place at the wrong time!

MOST people think nothing will happen to them. Not just the young.

Her poor friend will probably be beating himself up over this forever. I think it's somewhat heartless to say he shouldn't have "let" her go. It wasn't his decision. JMO

If this place is so well known for this kinda activity, why don't they have camera. Set up on the exit

There *is* a camera, just no street lights, which I think is unbelievably stupid after DTL's utilization of the area. When I checked the area's cam feed last night, you couldn't see anything except for the lights of passing motorists, and it blew me away. I would have expected there to be *some* lights installed. Instead... no.

I traveled down this 18+mile levee road this past November at night when my GPS took my son & I down the "scenic" route to a boy scout campout. This road is gravel, desolate & frightening! I was scared for our lives! No street lights except for a very few pole lights next to camps, but few & far between. In my opinion, the road is easier for an ATV to pass on than for a vehicle! If anyone traveled that road to go dump Mickey's bike, then they had to have either been very comfortable with the area or an outsider who couldn't tell that their GPS was taking them the wrong way!!

If this place is so well known for this kinda activity, why don't they have camera. Set up on the exit

They have cameras all along the basin bridge. And its not that its well known for this type of behavior specifically. Its just that its common sense that you would get rid of a body and/or evidence here. Its a HUGE area that is fished/crawfished on regularly. But in an area this big, thats hot, humid, and full of alligators and snakes etc. Its common sense to get rid of stuff in there. But there are indeed cameras

I shudder to think at what we'd find if the basin were ever drained/dried up. *nightmares*

I just read a news article where Mickey's Mom is quoted as saying since the discovery of the bike she now believes Mickey was involved in an accident. The police are not releasing the exact location (on water, water's edge or dry land) or condition of the bike, but that is a telling statement. The family saw the bike and something must have prompted her to believe Mickey was involved in an accident. The question is was it a drunk driver that hit her and panicked or did someone intentionally run her down to knock her off balance and grab her? I imagine we're going to be hearing a lot more pretty soon. Also, if the bike was found in the water it could have been dumped somewhere else - that is a tidal area and, in fact, the media reported yesterday that they could not put divers in the water due to the strong current. At least they did find the bike and I'm sure they are looking in every direction any clues associated with the bike are pointing them. The good news is this - IF the bike is damaged they may very well be able to get paint samples of the vehicle that hit it and can then track down the make/model/year of the vehicle, assuming the vehicle has original paint and hasn't been customized. That would help tremendously and possibly point to one of the 3 suspect vehicles. Thank God investigators have something to work with, now. Praying for Mickey's safe return and remaining hopeful in the face of staggering odds.

Another local here (currently living out of state due to my husbands military service). I should preface any comments with the fact that I have close family in LE in the area, we don't ask questions because we understand the rules, so I am completely biased to LE.

When this all began I asked my husband "where would you dump someones belongings, or someone if you didn't want them found?" His response "you would have to be some kind of idiot if you couldn't make someone disappear in the swamp". Now that is not to say that I believe someone is sending a message about an old killing or anything. Panic could make people sloppy. Just wanted to give non locals the very real sense of how vast and hostile this environment can be. How many secret places there truly are in this wilderness. Just some thoughts.

Hello med, and welcome to WS!

And good morning all. Let's hope today produces a resolution.

I'm in BR and followed the Derrick Todd Lee case closely for a number of reasons...at one point before DTL was caught but both bodies had been found there, LE installed all sorts of cameras under the Whiskey Bay bridge to monitor the area. I was there right after the crime scene was opened being "nosey "looking around and knew that the whole time I was being watched by the cameras. I can't remember if the cameras were common knowledge or something I knew about for other reasons...however, I don't know if they left them or if they are still operating. The thing I don't get, on that stretch there is no shoulder, but prior to that there is a stretch more over the water going from west to east with shoulder, and the bike could have been dropped into the water. I don't think a non-local would have known the area is as desolate as it is...and weirdly, because it looks that way, there could be people around. Any rainstorm, under the bridge over the water there are dozens of boats taking refuge..my former husband and I used to fish the basin often. I have driven the road from Whiskey Bay to H190 and it is so way out of the way and challenging I doubt the perp did that. If there is a road south, it used to be gated off but I don't know about recently. I lean to the bike being stolen and dropped there subsequently. I thought of Whiskey Bay the minute I heard of all of this and would have been out there except up in north Louisiana and other obligations so no chance but I can't imagine LE or Wildlife and Fisheries weren't checking it.

For what it's worth and this is a stretch: DTL is appealing his convictions.....and we've had some weird things going on in courts with witnesses and convictions....but I don't know that he has those sorts of connections in Angola. One of his victims who survived and testified against him was from the Lafayette area. I think the putting of the bicylse there was deliberate but not sure of the reason.

It keeps being brought up that the area that Mickey's bike was found is where Derrick Todd Lee dumped bodies. I'm 26 years old. I was aware of the DTL case, but where the bodies were dumped? Not at all. I was simply too young to really "care" about it. It didn't have a direct impact on my life. (I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.) So if it is someone who is around my age, they may also have no idea that it was a previous dump site.

It seems to me if it was a bike thief that picked up the bike, they would have been on foot and would have ridden the bike away. Most people in vehicles don't stop to pick up a bike. A bike is most attractive to someone who is already walking. The bike wasn't seen again so it probably was in a vehicle, along with her

I wondered if she was hit by a drunk driver who panicked and grabbed her and the bike. I always think back to the horrible case of Chante Mallard who hit a man with her car and he was impaled alive in her windshield and she drove him to her house and left him stuck there in her garage, then discarded the body when he died days later. Chante Jawan Mallard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But with Mickey's bike being left where it was seems more of a sinister sign but then again, wouldn't a drunk driver want people to think that a serial killer got her rather than a drunk driver?

Hmmmm.

that has been my thought all along, I posted the possibility of a connection with an "unrelated" local event on GLP and was banned for it last week, which brought me here. now as more evidence comes in including the bike being found, my original theory seems even more plausible. I have remained silent because my theory is not one that has been discussed at all and is no the main stream belief but still seems most likely to me... i'm not saying my theory is right compared to all discussed, but it is different and most plausible... still. I have put a lot of "internet" investigation into this theory... shall i continue?

I'm not certain, but I believe one of them is a friend of the family. I think he's a college student.

Brettly answers the emails that go to findmickeyshunick@yahoo.com, so I believe he is responsible for the updates on the website, and most likely facebook as well.

I sent the GLP posts last night to that email, and he wrote back this morning "Call the tip line at 333-291-8633. We cannot accept tips via email" WHICH IS THE WRONG NUMBER! It says on the website findmickeynow.com, "If you have any information on her whereabouts, please contact the Lafayette Police at 337-291-8633 or email findmickeyshunick@yahoo.com". Why would this dude give me the wrong number to report a tip?

Something's fishy here. I doubt he accidentally typed 3 instead of a 7 considering 3 is quite far from a 7 on a keyboard. Perhaps he doesn't want the police to know about those GLP posts for some reason due to one of them mentioning he knows more than what he's saying...

that has been my thought all along, I posted the possibility of a connection with an "unrelated" local event on GLP and was banned for it last week, which brought me here. now as more evidence comes in including the bike being found, my original theory seems even more plausible. I have remained silent because my theory is not one that has been discussed at all and is no the main stream belief but still seems most likely to me... i'm not saying my theory is right compared to all discussed, but it is different and most plausible... still. I have put a lot of "internet" investigation into this theory... shall i continue?

I'd like to hear your theory.

I personally feel this was one person, not two working together with separate vehicles. I also think this was not an accident. I believe if she was bumped it was done on purpose or in pursuit of her. (the end justified the means). I think that if the bike was placed there the night of the abduction, they were in the middle of perpetrating the crime, it was in motion and that motion led them to that direction, meaning that Victim M was in the vehicle and headed to a future crime scene or holding area. If the bike was dumped after the crime, it was to separate themselves "cleanse themselves" of evidence after they were sure the bike was free from forensic evidence in the perps eyes. If M. is alive the bike was dumped either after she was secured at a location the perp felt safe keeping her or was in transit to said perp safe location.

I see many speculate on how could it happen so fast and with M fighting. We must remember M is a small woman and when a perp is in a frenzy they are very very strong.

Also that area where the bike was dumped depending on exact location it was found, I think there is a good chance the bike could sustain some damage from being dropped over the side. Hence leading Mom to believe perhaps an accident. I feel so bad for her.

I don't know about now, but I have been out on the interstate in that area in the wee hours of the morning. There is next to no traffic. Yes it has been many years ago but I remember just how lonely and desolate it seemed. I can see how someone could stop and dump it (would take less than a minute to get out and throw it over) without being seen or heard. Looking for headlights coming from behind you can assure that no one is going to run up your butt, even with it having no side to pull over on.

I hope I am wrong, I just don't feel good about the outcome of this case. I am biased however since being once a victim and knowing once they have you, how slim the odds are of escape. I pray M. beats the odds, I really do... Prayers to her and her family...:(

I differ with the idea that the perp pulled over on I-10 to dump the bike over the side. If you have not done so, go to Google Earth and plug in the coordinates: 30°21'56.71" N 91°38'03.56" W

If you don't have Google Earth, download it. It's an amazing tool.

Look at the bridge over the river. Notice how the exit ramp doesn't peel off and I-10 widen until it's almost to the boat ramp. If the perp pulled over on the exit ramp, then the bike would be in plain sight, due to the lack of vegetation. The news photos seem to indicate it was found over to the left. That's at the bottom of the Whiskey-Bay bridge.

The bridge is tall and steep and very, very narrow. It the biggest, most hazardous choke point between Lafayette and New Orleans, which is why there are a lot of wrecks there at the bridge. The point I keep coming back to is that there is absolutely no shoulder until that exit ramp widens. If one pulls over one is absolutely blocking the right lane of I-10. Doing so at the bottomm of the bridge would be hazardous for the perp because a 90 mph driver could come over the top of the bridge and be right on him with very little warning. Yes, if it was 3 a.m., traffic is very light. But the risk is still very real.

I really do think, given all that, that the perp drove down into the boat-ramp area at ground level and placed the bike by hand - not by dropping it from a height.

Of course, LE knows all that and we don't.

Brettly answers the emails that go to findmickeyshunick@yahoo.com, so I believe he is responsible for the updates on the website, and most likely facebook as well.

I sent the GLP posts last night to that email, and he wrote back this morning "Call the tip line at 333-291-8633. We cannot accept tips via email" WHICH IS THE WRONG NUMBER! It says on the website findmickeynow.com, "If you have any information on her whereabouts, please contact the Lafayette Police at 337-291-8633 or email findmickeyshunick@yahoo.com". Why would this dude give me the wrong number to report a tip?

Something's fishy here. I doubt he accidentally typed 3 instead of a 7 considering 3 is quite far from a 7 on a keyboard. Perhaps he doesn't want the police to know about those GLP posts for some reason due to one of them mentioning he knows more than what he's saying...

Several people are manning the social media aspect, not one person. Also, that IS the right number.

I differ with the idea that the perp pulled over on I-10 to dump the bike over the side. If you have not done so, go to Google Earth and plug in the coordinates: 30°21'56.71" N 91°38'03.56" W

If you don't have Google Earth, download it. It's an amazing tool.

Look at the bridge over the river. Notice how the exit ramp doesn't peel off and I-10 widen until it's almost to the boat ramp. If the perp pulled over on the exit ramp, then the bike would be in plain sight, due to the lack of vegetation. The news photos seem to indicate it was found over to the left. That's at the bottom of the Whiskey-Bay bridge.

The bridge is tall and steep and very, very narrow. It the biggest, most hazardous choke point between Lafayette and New Orleans, which is why there are a lot of wrecks there at the bridge. The point I keep coming back to is that there is absolutely no shoulder until that exit ramp widens. If one pulls over one is absolutely blocking the right lane of I-10. Doing so at the bottomm of the bridge would be hazardous for the perp because a 90 mph driver could come over the top of the bridge and be right on him with very little warning. Yes, if it was 3 a.m., traffic is very light. But the risk is still very real.

I really do think, given all that, that the perp drove down into the boat-ramp area at ground level and placed the bike by hand - not by dropping it from a height.

Of course, LE knows all that and we don't.

My point being that there may be footprints, tire tracks, etc. for them to go on, depending on how far he drove the truck in there. Now, if it was just lying in plain sight, it could have been on the concrete. But that's not the impression I get from the reports.

Several people are manning the social media aspect, not one person. Also, that IS the right number.

Volunteer was tired. Typed "333" instead of "337." It was a mental slip - wouldn't read much into it. The police are staffing that number with ONE person. When I called about my boat search, she couldn't even talk with me long enough to take down the details - the phone was ringing off the hook - she had to have a detective call me back later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95