LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this would be a good time to raise the award if possible after finding the bike. It could just push someone over the edge to come forward if they suspect it might be someone they know.

Let's please not stray overmuch into conversation about GLP today. Tends to bring down the tenor of the sleuthing here.

The time frame may even be later than Wednesday. I remember that a couple hours after I posted the flier, I read a post by the Mickey Shunick FB page that the reward was being capped at 20K. I was going to remove it but kept seeing conflicting information, and then sometime later I saw that the official reward was 25. So I'm not sure if the people posting fliers had the 25K information, or the 20K. Sorry, I wish I could be more definite, but there has been a lot of "leaked" information on Facebook and then the admin(s) of the Find Mickey Shunick website trying to take it back. I'll try to do some digging, slow work day today. I think I'm the only person I know who has to work today anyway!

There are many, many variations of flyers, they are constantly being printed/updated. There weren't many with the $20k amount though, b/c it the amount quickly went from 20 to 25. I'd say there were lots of 10k, a few 20k, and then an enormous number of 25k. Some of the 10k have been marked through with sharpe and changed to 25, sometimes we just put up a 25 flyer next to the 10 flyer.

We just passed over the Whiskey Bay exit about 30 minutes ago, heading towards BR, and there were tons of cars (police & otherwise), and what looked to be a bunch of cops on horses. The cars were all still parked pretty much the same as the pics released yesterday, and the horses were headed towards the cars from the dirt road that runs under the bridge. Also saw a sheriffs boat trolling the waters. It was surreal, and eerie, to see it with my own eyes. Lots of boats in the basin & trucks by the boat launch exits though, so it looks like a lot of people will be out there today. And there is NO shoulder from before the bridge until the actual exit, so it seems HIGHLY unlikely someone would do a stop & drop of the bicycle from atop the bridge. Way too risky, IMO.

There are many, many variations of flyers, they are constantly being printed/updated. There weren't many with the $20k amount though, b/c it the amount quickly went from 20 to 25. I'd say there were lots of 10k, a few 20k, and then an enormous number of 25k. Some of the 10k have been marked through with sharpe and changed to 25, sometimes we just put up a 25 flyer next to the 10 flyer.

Thanks. I guess if the amount was 20K for only a short period of time, it's safe to assume that some 25K fliers went out on Wednesday? That's the earliest anyway, I'm pretty sure.

I'm leaning toward the theory that the bike was dumped fairly recently and that the flier was posted before that.

We just passed over the Whiskey Bay exit about 30 minutes ago, heading towards BR, and there were tons of cars (police & otherwise), and what looked to be a bunch of cops on horses. The cars were all still parked pretty much the same as the pics released yesterday, and the horses were headed towards the cars from the dirt road that runs under the bridge. Also saw a sheriffs boat trolling the waters. It was surreal, and eerie, to see it with my own eyes. Lots of boats in the basin & trucks by the boat launch exits though, so it looks like a lot of people will be out there today. And there is NO shoulder from before the bridge until the actual exit, so it seems HIGHLY unlikely someone would do a stop & drop of the bicycle from atop the bridge. Way too risky, IMO.

That's what I'm saying. Now you've seen it for yourself. I think the perp drove down off I-10 to dump the bike.

I wish the person who posted that flier there would come forward and let people know when the sign was posted. Again, IF the bike was easily visible, it could help narrow down the time frame that LE should have.

I don't know why I'm so fixated on that particular bit of information. It just keeps nagging at me, like there's something else that should be blatantly obvious but I'm just missing what I'm trying to see. I'm sure it's because there's not much info being released about the state of the bike, but still...

I wonder if they're checking with some of the rather less-expensive motels (euphemism actually) to see if anything odd happened in the wee hours the night Mickey went missing. After she was taken, one of those might have been a stopover.

I'm sure they are, they know what they're doing.

I'm still bothered by the fact that the bike was only found now. The whole Whiskey Bay boat ramp area should have been searched immediately. I feel like we lost time there. Unless, of course, the bike was dropped later. LE hasn't released that info yet.... was it dropped the night of the abduction, or AFTER a search had already taken place?

Thanks. I guess if the amount was 20K for only a short period of time, it's safe to assume that some 25K fliers went out on Wednesday? That's the earliest anyway, I'm pretty sure.

I'm leaning toward the theory that the bike was dumped fairly recently and that the flier was posted before that.

I also think it was dumped recently.

As for whether the flyer was already there when the biked was dumped or it was posted after, not everyone posting flyers is actively searching. It could be they were traveling towards BR/NOLA wherever, with flyers in the car and stopping all along the way posting, but not really looking for/at anything in particular. So, the bike could have been there and they just didn't see it.

Another local here (currently living out of state due to my husbands military service). I should preface any comments with the fact that I have close family in LE in the area, we don't ask questions because we understand the rules, so I am completely biased to LE.

When this all began I asked my husband "where would you dump someones belongings, or someone if you didn't want them found?" His response "you would have to be some kind of idiot if you couldn't make someone disappear in the swamp". Now that is not to say that I believe someone is sending a message about an old killing or anything. Panic could make people sloppy. Just wanted to give non locals the very real sense of how vast and hostile this environment can be. How many secret places there truly are in this wilderness. Just some thoughts.

Definitely. When I was a criminal justice student, we discussed 'the perfect crime' and even the professor said the swamp would be the ideal location for a body dump.

I wish that Texas Equusearch would update its site. There is none for 2 days now. I'm waiting for them to say it's OK to take my boat to Whiskey Bay, but nothing.

I wish the person who posted that flier there would come forward and let people know when the sign was posted.

I was thinking the same thing. That's quite a distance from Lafayette, so whoever posted it should remember quite easily (as opposed to posting in town, where it would be easy to lose track of exactly where you'd been).

And I'm with you--I'm somewhat obsessed by timing and the order of events. It may not make any difference at all, but I really want to know how long that flier was there.

To post the flyer in question, what would one have needed to do? Would it be someone who was going fishing or on the water?

Is there a reason why this area should have been searched right away, other than the fact that a serial killer used it? And it is creepy? Just wondering...I have never seen a case where LE would search 25 miles out until the areas closer to the abduction had been cleared.

The title of that article is a bit misleading, no? They're looking for a white pick up truck, and it's stated in there that that's what they want. I don't see anything in the article itself about a van (unless I'm blind, which is entirely possible).

Daily Mail is kind of the Nancy Grace of news, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member