LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you check the DOT webcam for the area, you can see there's something going on underneath both bridges, so they're still actively canvassing the area.

It's critical to see if the bike was washed up on the riverbank. If so, the perp could have had a boat. If he didn't deflate the tires, modern bikes are pretty light, and it could have floated and he didn't notice.

The location of the bike will tell whether we can expect to find Mickey in the swamp, or whether it was just a bike dump. If the bike was washed up, then I'd think they'd issue a call for every volunteer with a boat to come out and look. It's such a vast area that the police would be crazy not to ask for boat volunteers.

So maybe the bike wasn't on the riverbank? Yet they say they're searching the river. I'm sure there are a lot of people who would bring their boats out, if they would ask us.

We just passed over the Whiskey Bay exit about 30 minutes ago, heading towards BR, and there were tons of cars (police & otherwise), and what looked to be a bunch of cops on horses. The cars were all still parked pretty much the same as the pics released yesterday, and the horses were headed towards the cars from the dirt road that runs under the bridge. Also saw a sheriffs boat trolling the waters. It was surreal, and eerie, to see it with my own eyes. Lots of boats in the basin & trucks by the boat launch exits though, so it looks like a lot of people will be out there today. And there is NO shoulder from before the bridge until the actual exit, so it seems HIGHLY unlikely someone would do a stop & drop of the bicycle from atop the bridge. Way too risky, IMO.
Thanx for the info! Welcome to WS! :)

I'm trying to keep an open mind (not that you aren't). I don't have enough info to be tied to whether they used I-10 or not.

Obviously the bike was in Lafayette where "we" last saw Mickey on it and it was found at the WB exit. From everything's that's been posted, there are alternate ways to get there (like most places).

Plenty of people like to take back roads for innocent reasons (I'm one of them), but I can easily see someone taking back roads to dump the bike...to lessen being seen by LE, witnesses, and cameras. KWIM?

As many have said, wish we knew what's on the footage not released (including from the various traffic camsj). All "we" have are the 5 still photos from surveillance cameras on Mickey's route home (so far).

I wish the person who posted that flier there would come forward and let people know when the sign was posted. Again, IF the bike was easily visible, it could help narrow down the time frame that LE should have.

I don't know why I'm so fixated on that particular bit of information. It just keeps nagging at me, like there's something else that should be blatantly obvious but I'm just missing what I'm trying to see. I'm sure it's because there's not much info being released about the state of the bike, but still...

We really don't know if that person has come forward or not, do we? It is possible that LE is totally aware of who posted the flier and when.

To post the flyer in question, what would one have needed to do? Would it be someone who was going fishing or on the water?

Is there a reason why this area should have been searched right away, other than the fact that a serial killer used it? And it is creepy? Just wondering...I have never seen a case where LE would search 25 miles out until the areas closer to the abduction had been cleared.

Yes, because it's the most perfect dumping ground one could imagine if exiting Lafayette and heading east, and the truck was seen heading toward I-10, and two dead women were already found there. it should have been at the top of the list, IMO.

I am wondering about the value of the bike. Anyone have an idea of its worth?

There are only so many hours that I can ponder the same few scenarios. So I started wondering if someone initially intended to steal the bike...and then something went wrong and they took Mickey. I really think the likelihood of this is 1%....but its something different to ponder.

I think the perp had a weapon, made Mickey load the bike and get in the vehicle. Of course, if you look at the area where we see the white truck and the car, a scream would be heard. We have not been told, but I'm sure every home around the Circle K area has been asked about that night.

I don't believe some random person stole the bike and left it where it was found. That location is simply too far. And if you did steal the bike, and then later find out its significance, why not go to police with it? I highly doubt you would be punished for picking up a bike left on the roadside....and who knows, you might be a hero in the story.

I would like to know if the bike was damaged. If it was, how would they determine if a car hit it or it was thrown from the overpass. Of course, chicken fried pointed out that the overpass had no curb area so tossing the bike over would have been difficult and foolish (too much chance of being seen from up there). I would like to know the details of how the bike was found....was it near the water, was it leaned against something or just flat on the ground, was it in the road or in the grass?

What we really need is a press conference....

So no one thinks the flier was put up for the sake of giving the picture more "drama". ?

I haven't lived in Lafayette for three years but lived there my entire life. We used that boat dock all the time in high school and college to get in the basin but I'm not sure if it's still used since it's been several years since I've utilized that dock. That being said, Memorial Day weekend would have been a very busy weekend for that dock, with cars parked all the way back to the on-ramp of I-10.

*If* that dock is still used like it was back in the day, and *if* the perp wanted to play a diversion game, it seems to me that it was a good weekend to drop the bike there for surely it would have been noticed.

Just a thought.
I just realized I was thinking of the wrong exit. Sorry for any confusion.

Thanx for the info! Welcome to WS! :)

I'm trying to keep an open mind (not that you aren't). I don't have enough info to be tied to whether they used I-10 or not.

Obviously the bike was in Lafayette where "we" last saw Mickey on it and it was found at the WB exit. From everything's that's been posted, there are alternate ways to get there (like most places).

Plenty of people like to take back roads for innocent reasons (I'm one of them), but I can easily see someone taking back roads to dump the bike...to lessen being seen by LE, witnesses, and cameras. KWIM?

As many have said, wish we knew what's on the footage not released (including from the various traffic camsj). All "we" have are the 5 still photos from surveillance cameras on Mickey's route home (so far).

If the perp was thinking, he would have gotten off I-10 ASAP, to avoid cameras. There are many ways to Whiskey Bay that don't have cameras. You are correct.

To post the flyer in question, what would one have needed to do? Would it be someone who was going fishing or on the water?

Is there a reason why this area should have been searched right away, other than the fact that a serial killer used it? And it is creepy? Just wondering...I have never seen a case where LE would search 25 miles out until the areas closer to the abduction had been cleared.

I'm pretty sure it was searched early on. Most of the search efforts were focused here in town, close to her assumed bike route. But, the public was out searching on their own, near their property. I don't know if/when an organized group was out there to check but plenty of sleuths had to have taken it upon themselves to check that area in the beginning.

It's "creepy" at night, and of course b/c of DTL (I'm surprised several locals here claimed they don't necessarily associate Whiskey Bay with DTL...I was in college at the time and it was super scary for us, and it was BIG news that bodies were found there so when I pass the exit 2x on Friday and 2x on Sunday, I *always* think of those girls. That said, it's not sooooo creepy that I would not stop there for an emergency, in the day time. I have. I remember once when hubby was texting me and I didn't want to text back my long and complicated answer while driving on the bridge so I pulled off there to answer him. I definitely would not stop there at night though.

So we have to ask.. was Whiskey Bay a location of convenience, or a specific destination for the perp? I still could see a quick exit from Lafayette, then pull over 25 minutes later at Whiskey Bay to get things "in order" - maybe to secure Mickey, etc., and get rid of the bike right away. Remember that she wasn't reported missing yet. If the perp got randomly pulled over, the cop would remember a bike, and later have the plate number. So the perp may have wanted to get rid of the bike right away, before getting to his destination. Again, that circles right back to - how long was the bike there, and had that area been searched yet?

So no one thinks the flier was put up for the sake of giving the picture more "drama". ?

I could be wrong, but I either heard something last night during the newscast or read it on the newspaper website that the bike was found not far from the flier that was posted. Something about the irony of it, or something like that. I need to find that bit of info again, though, because I'm drawing a blank on where I got that info from.

I guess I don't think they'd mention the fact of it being there if they posted it, KWIM? That said, though, I wouldn't put it past the people at KATC to do something like that... they like to up the drama on everything, I've noticed.

I am wondering about the value of the bike. Anyone have an idea of its worth?

There are only so many hours that I can ponder the same few scenarios. So I started wondering if someone initially intended to steal the bike...and then something went wrong and they took Mickey. I really think the likelihood of this is 1%....but its something different to ponder.

I think the perp had a weapon, made Mickey load the bike and get in the vehicle. Of course, if you look at the area where we see the white truck and the car, a scream would be heard. We have not been told, but I'm sure every home around the Circle K area has been asked about that night.

I don't believe some random person stole the bike and left it where it was found. That location is simply too far. And if you did steal the bike, and then later find out its significance, why not go to police with it? I highly doubt you would be punished for picking up a bike left on the roadside....and who knows, you might be a hero in the story.

I would like to know if the bike was damaged. If it was, how would they determine if a car hit it or it was thrown from the overpass. Of course, chicken fried pointed out that the overpass had no curb area so tossing the bike over would have been difficult and foolish (too much chance of being seen from up there). I would like to know the details of how the bike was found....was it near the water, was it leaned against something or just flat on the ground, was it in the road or in the grass?

What we really need is a press conference....

I don't think the bike was stolen separately....that close to the bad parts of town (thinking like a criminal) it could have easily been repainted and the distinguishing features removed (the lights, etc.). A fixed gear bike isn't that uncommon, it certainly wasn't the most stand-out feature of the bike.

They had no reason to dump the bike like that if they were heading out of town with her. I think it was placed there, on purpose, to draw attention to it....It could be because they were disposing of a body in their white truck, or as a taunt to the police, or to try to direct attention more towards Baton Rouge because they felt like they were being closed in on (maybe the white truck knows the cadillac saw something and wanted focus shifted elsewhere). Yes, people dump trash there all the time, but it's an area that has some traffic and finding the bike would be inevitable, especially with media attention.

If they went through all of the trouble to plan this abduction and leave no clues at the scene, it is logical to believe that they are planting evidence and playing a game with LE. Perhaps since nothing had been found, they wanted to plant the bike so the case wouldn't lose attention?

I could be wrong, but I either heard something last night during the newscast or read it on the newspaper website that the bike was found not far from the flier that was posted. Something about the irony of it, or something like that. I need to find that bit of info again, though, because I'm drawing a blank on where I got that info from.

I guess I don't think they'd mention the fact of it being there if they posted it, KWIM? That said, though, I wouldn't put it past the people at KATC to do something like that... they like to up the drama on everything, I've noticed.

Ok, just seemed like a strange place to put a flier.

I wish that Texas Equusearch would update its site. There is none for 2 days now. I'm waiting for them to say it's OK to take my boat to Whiskey Bay, but nothing.
And unfortunately, the last word from LE was they have asked people to stay out of the area so they can search.

Big kudos to you and everyone else who has searched or poised to head out again. :)

Hey, I have a question for anyone. On the FMSN FB, 2 photos were posted last nite after the fundraiser. One of them has just the crowd and a lot of sky in it and the OP just says "wow". Several comments said "picture perfect", and one said "now that's what I call help...", followed by some religious comments. Is there something to be seen in the sky? :blush: Maybe I was just tired, monitor not that great, comments just referred to the huge turnout and the event being uplifting, etc.. I thought maybe there was a banner being flown or some phenomenon... :blush:

I'm still catching up on my reading - still on the 5th thread.

Regarding the finding of the bike, has anyone thought that maybe the bike was initially left behind and someone picked it up/stole it, and when they realized it was Mickey's maybe they didn't want to turn it in due to fear that LE would prosecute them for stealing it or perhaps think they were involved and therefore they dumped it there?

I know not every vehicle is going to be specifically marked as LE, but it sure looked like a bunch of civilian trucks/boats in and around the whiskey bay area...but I assume you can get around there from other launches, and those could be volunteer searchers , but yeah, there is definitely a lot going on under the bridge. At least a dozen horses had uniformed officers on them, and were being followed by some sort of tractor/truck. They were coming from the south side of the levee coming BACK towards the bridge (and where the bike was found) Hope that makes sense, it's hard to describe something you've seen, for others to visualize!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AussyDog