LA LA - Shane Fell, 36, Marrero, 9 June 2011 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess maybe it depends what his definition of past "few" years is...but there are plenty of missing people in Jefferson Parish if you go to the LA Repository for Unidentified & Missing People and search Jefferson Parish...pages of them, in fact. http://identifyla.lsu.edu/search_mp.php?county=Jefferson Parish

As for people in Jefferson Parish who went missing around the time Shane did and in the years since, there's:
Nancy Hawk (2011) http://identifyla.lsu.edu/profile.php?id=637
Erik Richards (2012) http://identifyla.lsu.edu/profile.php?id=651
Cathy Tran (2012) http://identifyla.lsu.edu/profile.php?id=639
And about a year before Shane (2010), Brandon Mouton: http://identifyla.lsu.edu/profile.php?id=583

So, um, yeah...more than one other missing persons case there. I'm kind of scratching my head at why the officer would say that. Best I can tell all four of these people I've listed above who went missing in the years around Shane's disappearance have not been found. Three of these four people went missing from the Westbank of Jefferson Parish like Shane.
At the time of the article in September 2011, Richards and Tran weren't missing. Mouton was missing from a tug boat 100 miles away in Barataria Bay, and probably presumed drowned.

Following this with great interest, something is really not right here. I'm a Garda ( policeman ) here in Ireland and my instincts tell me the local LE know alot more than what they are sharing. Why be so secertive? Why no info coming from them?
As for the crash and a pretty serious one at that a DUI would be the last of your worries, your car has just been wrecked and you could be severely injured. I know people under the influence don't always make the correct decisions but an incident like this sobers you up fairly quickly. The phone calls don't make sense and his phone was pinging for 5 days after, very trackable very quickly where i'm from with the correct help and information.

Is there something bigger here going on that we don't know about. The silence from LE worries me and my gut tells me something bigger is afoot and been hidden.

Here's hoping Shane is found safe and well but the lack of clarity after such a long period worries me.

Following this with great interest, something is really not right here. I'm a Garda ( policeman ) here in Ireland and my instincts tell me the local LE know alot more than what they are sharing. Why be so secertive? Why no info coming from them?
As for the crash and a pretty serious one at that a DUI would be the last of your worries, your car has just been wrecked and you could be severely injured. I know people under the influence don't always make the correct decisions but an incident like this sobers you up fairly quickly. The phone calls don't make sense and his phone was pinging for 5 days after, very trackable very quickly where i'm from with the correct help and information.
Is there something bigger here going on that we don't know about. The silence from LE worries me and my gut tells me something bigger is afoot and been hidden.

Here's hoping Shane is found safe and well but the lack of clarity after such a long period worries me.

Thank you!!! Upthread there was mention that LE was tightlipped about the pings and I couldn't understand that at all UNLESS of course the phone was a corporate phone from work for business use only. Just didn't make sense to me at all

If the family doesn't know which prepaid plan he used from Walmart just google the old telephone number and carrier should show up in the search.

I just want to say something that is not exactly related, but kind of, and is my opinion (or view of things) here in New Orleans. I have lived in New Orleans all my life, so there are things that seem "normal" to me that apparently don't work like that other places. I recently watched all the seasons of Treme and I kept thinking, "I wonder if people in other places realize that this show is mostly true, it's not really fiction!" After thinking about it, it seems unreal and scripted for an HBO series, but in reality, most of those things really happened- including the names of the people that were shot by police! My office was in the same building where Henry Glover was shot! The more I watched, the more I realized that many things are common around here that when put in perspective of an outsider are really weird, shady and wrong!

That being said, I have many friends in law enforcement and I respect what they do immensely!!! I think we have lots of good police. BUT, for a person who wants to do the wrong thing, this town would be a good resting place. We are a little complacent and used to corruption, so bad people can find a nice place to operate.

Kenny, do you mind me asking what do y'all think happened? What is your gut feeling about the situation?

Hey Sillybilly
I will go back tonight a listen to the audio ...but i do think the 911 operator ask if anybody was in the car.....

Thanks Kenny ... iirc, that was when the caller's (inappropriate) response was wrt the wipers being on. You might want to have your computer gurus check to see if that's where one of the edits/cuts is in your DVD copy of the call.

I agree, there is something weird about the whole thing. But thinking about this some more, what were the possibilities?

1. Shane was not in or around the car.
2. Shane was standing beside the car (we know he was already out because of the couple that stopped) (not likely, because he would have told the person he didn't need help from 911)
3. Shane succombed to some sort of injuries and was beside the car. (not likely, because the 911 caller did not sound frantic)

Am I missing some other options?

Thanks Kenny ... iirc, that was when the caller's (inappropriate) response was wrt the wipers being on. You might want to have your computer gurus check to see if that's where one of the edits/cuts is in your DVD copy of the call.

I agree, there is something weird about the whole thing. But thinking about this some more, what were the possibilities?

2. Shane was standing beside the car (we know he was already out because of the couple that stopped) (not likely, because he would have told the person he didn't need help from 911)
3. Shane succombed to some sort of injuries and was beside the car. (not likely, because the 911 caller did not sound frantic)

How about just sitting by the wreck out of view of the caller who may not have even gotten out of his vehicle as he was calling 911? Maybe he was feeling shaky disoriented and knowing that bro was en route just needed to chill a bit?

Wondering if he passed out at that point even briefly.

No empty wallet was ever found am guessing.

Re prepaid cell -- begs yet another question....sure the battery was working but how many minutes or service days were left on it -- maybe after five days his prepaid time ran out....

How about just sitting by the wreck out of view of the caller who may not have even gotten out of his vehicle as he was calling 911? Maybe he was feeling shaky disoriented and knowing that bro was en route just needed to chill a bit?

Wondering if he passed out at that point even briefly.

No empty wallet was ever found am guessing.

Re prepaid cell -- begs yet another question....sure the battery was working but how many minutes or service days were left on it -- maybe after five days his prepaid time ran out....

BBM...That is a great thought! Thank you so much for thinking it! For sure, that phone was not in the water as long as it was pinging. I remember when my company forced us all to take company cell phones. When I called to activate it and the IT guy told me, "You are up and running!" I snarkedly said, "Big Brother is now watching me, right?" He just said, "Take that battery out when you don't want them to know where you are."

A non-active phone would not have a ping, but OH MY GOD, that phone has to be SOMEWHERE where it was allowed to ring for that many days and...nothing???

Where is he? Someone knows something. Shane did not walk. Shane is not in the water. Where IS HE? This whole thing is so absolutely senseless. The guy had a few drinks, rolled his car, and by his own brother's admission, knew he was going to get a DWI. It ain't the end of the world. Where IS he?

(BTW, I have only said the things I have said about knowing he was going to get a DWI by his brother's interview on The Unexplained. I have no link to post, but they are all over this thread. Shane had no need to fear. His brother was on the way. I would have waited on my brother all night if he had told me he was on his way.)

This article answers one of the questions I had, which was if Shane's bank accounts had been accessed since his disappearance. It states here that they had not been, though this was not long after his disappearance.

http://www.examiner.com/article/shane-fell-family-friends-ask-for-help-finding-missing-la-man

I would hope Kenny and Shane's family are able to find out if there ''attempts'' made on Shane's account ''unsuccessfully''' -- if that was the case it may pinpoint location and possibly ''video evidence'' time/date stamped

BBM...That is a great thought! Thank you so much for thinking it! For sure, that phone was not in the water as long as it was pinging. I remember when my company forced us all to take company cell phones. When I called to activate it and the IT guy told me, "You are up and running!" I snarkedly said, "Big Brother is now watching me, right?" He just said, "Take that battery out when you don't want them to know where you are."

A non-active phone would not have a ping, but OH MY GOD, that phone has to be SOMEWHERE where it was allowed to ring for that many days and...nothing???

Where is he? Someone knows something. Shane did not walk. Shane is not in the water. Where IS HE? This whole thing is so absolutely senseless. The guy had a few drinks, rolled his car, and by his own brother's admission, knew he was going to get a DWI. It ain't the end of the world. Where IS he?

(BTW, I have only said the things I have said about knowing he was going to get a DWI by his brother's interview on The Unexplained. I have no link to post, but they are all over this thread. Shane had no need to fear. His brother was on the way. I would have waited on my brother all night if he had told me he was on his way.)

The only problem is how do we know that Shane is not in the water or did not walk away? There's nothing definitive. You could say:

• 25% he went into the water and died.
  • 25% says he walked away and is a victim of amnesia.
  • 25% says he was picked up by someone and died on the way to the hospital due to serious injuries.
  • 25% that says he only suffered little to no injuries, panicked at the thought of a DUI, and left to start a new life.

Satch

Please understand that some police Departments don't allow outside teams to Search......We was contacted by them and they told us the was coming in town and would like to help....They came in on a Saturday afternoon we showed them what we searched...then my wife drove them around for hours in my car.They told us they was picking up help at the airport and would have boats annd drones on sunday....They helps us search on sunday and that was the last time we seen them.....We had a news media person ask were was Texas Equusearch and we told them we didn't know....
Kenny, that sounds very much like what happened with TES in Terrilynn Monette's case, which was a different LE agency, as you know (NOPD). TES searched a day or two, then left for the weekend and said they'd return with a new, better equipped boat. They came back, searched Monday morning with the new boat, and then they were gone. If they would have searched the bayou that afternoon, TM's car probably would have been found. They stopped just north of the bridge at Harrison, and her car was only yards away on the south side.

After Terrilynn's car was found, Miller told the T-P it was decided at lunch (where he was present with NOPD reps) that TES should wrap up. NOPD says that not true. They did not send TES away.

"We felt like, 'We've done everything we can do for now. Maybe it's better to save our resources, wait for some tips to start coming in,'" Miller said. "Unfortunately, we all (Thomas and Miller) jointly agreed to go ahead and end the search and if new leads came in we'd start up again. Hindsight, of course, is 20-20."
Thomas on Tuesday denied Miller's account, saying he did not remember such a conversation. Thomas said in an email that he was under the impression Miller's team had searched the bayou between Harrison Avenue and Interstate 610, which would have included the spot where Monette was found.

Thomas said in the email. "Given the significant and continuing use of NOPD and other law enforcement equipment to search waterways, I had no reason to limit the search when we were not sure what had occurred. I did not make a decision to limit the search."

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2013/06/why_wasnt_terrilynn_monettes_c.html
Found Deceased LA - Terrilynn Monette, 26, New Orleans, 2 Mar 2013 - #4 - Page 30 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

The only problem is how do we know that Shane is not in the water or did not walk away? There's nothing definitive. You could say:

• 25% says he was picked up by someone and died on the way to the hospital due to serious injuries.
  • 25% that says he only suffered little to no injuries, panicked at the thought of a DUI, and left to start a new life.

Satch

The phone pinging for 5 days kind of minimizes the water thing, to me. Unless he ditched the phone intentionally, and then went in the water intentionally, it is not likely! I would think (but you can never assume around here!) that if the pings the police saw were near water, they would have focused their search around there. Them not looking too hard makes me think the pings were moving. But, just because his phone was moving doesn't necessarily mean he was with it! It means either he was moving with the phone or someone who had contact with him was moving with the phone! Oh, phone pings, you are so full of information. Please, show yourself!

Satch
I don't think all those scenarios are equally likely. It is highly unlikely that he started a new life w/o contacting his family for several years over a DWI, especially since no one else was hurt in the accident. Amnesia is also very unlikely; yes, it happens but it is so very, very rare.

I am very much leaning toward the scenario that he suffered from brain injuries, wandered off and died from his injuries somewhere nearby.

But with the police acting so squirrely, there is a possibility that they know more about this than they are saying and that something else may have happened

I would think amnesia is pretty much off the table, unless he somehow dropped his wallet and it was never found. All he would have had to do was look at its contents to see who he was.

If he did wander off and die somewhere, why couldn't they track him with the cell phone pings? It's just strange.

I don't think all those scenarios are equally likely. It is highly unlikely that he started a new life w/o contacting his family for several years over a DWI, especially since no one else was hurt in the accident. Amnesia is also very unlikely; yes, it happens but it is so very, very rare.

I am very much leaning toward the scenario that he suffered from brain injuries, wandered off and died from his injuries somewhere nearby.

But with the police acting so squirrely, there is a possibility that they know more about this than they are saying and that something else may have happened

4. Shane was out of the car and at the scene when the 911 call was made and this has been cut from the recording.

4. Shane was out of the car and at the scene when the 911 call was made and this has been cut from the recording.

hey hey !!

What if he could have been ''heard'' as background......:truce: is that what you may be suggesting?

Satch

All I know is that he is not with his family tonight, and there is nothing with that guy that would indicate he would be any where else if he were able.

hey hey !!

What if he could have been ''heard'' as background......:truce: is that what you may be suggesting?

Could be, eh? :biggrin:

ETA: Or simply, the caller said "yeah, the driver's here". I mean seriously, when a cop asks you a question about someone being there, why on earth would you respond "the wipers were on"? If a caller was somehow traumatized, then a dispatcher would have asked the Q again until they got an appropriate response.

Caveat: The above all hinges on my recollection of the Q and A in that transcript (which I can't seem to find right now to confirm. Am still looking for it)

Great post on victimology made by verified LEO RichKelly last year:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - LA LA - Shane Fell, 36, Marrero, 9 June 2011

Of particular interest to me were RichKelly's comments near the end:

The phone call is interesting, in that he names things not immediately obvious simply to a passer by, (Wipers on though the car is on its roof and you cant see the windshield/Certain there is no occupant still in the vehicle/Make of vehicle)

Which is why it would be important to scrutinize the caller as well, why did he just happen to be on that road at that time, did he even approach the car ? how could he know those details?

Too many details is almost ALWAYS a red flag.

Do the times, between "Shane's" call and the 911 call sync with how long before the accident happened?

I would take a peek into the callers background , possibly his close associates as well .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper