LA - Two killed, 9 injured in Lafayette movie theater shooting, 23 July 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have no issue with them not releasing the suspect name thus far. In mass shootings I almost wish the names were never released. These people sometimes view themselves as anti heros, as martyrs. They go down in infamy and tons of unstable creeps actually idolize them. The killers get their names and faces aired 1000x as often as the victims of their heinous crimes. It's disgusting really.

Also, I worry for their families. A spouse, a child, a parent, a cousin. How do you cope with a loved one doing something so awful? How do you go on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree, and I really wish people would think about the possible consequences of posting the shooter's identity before it is officially released by LE. For one thing, he no doubt has loved ones, just like the victims he killed. How awful would it be for them to learn the news through social media gossip.

Another important point made by a LASP sergeant on CNN just now is the potential risk to LEO's lives and the investigation if the name is released unofficially. Investigators will be visiting the homes of his relatives and known associates to question them. Their work can be carried out with a higher degree of safety if those they call on are not expecting them.

I so wish that people would think and use social media responsibly. But that's just a pipe dream on my part.

My prayers go out to the victims, and all the good citizens of Lafayette. Even those who weren't injured will be disturbed for many years by the memory.

I once lived in an apartment on Johnston Street probably a mile or two from where the movie theatre stands today. Never in my wildest of wildest dreams could I have imagined something like this happening in that area back then. It makes me very sad.

Yeah, the culture/environment of fear, paranoia, xenophobia, and Islamophobia is hardly new in North America.

Yep. I've been somewhat down on Iran since the hostage crisis of 1979.

There were no gun shots in the movie. There weren't even any scenes that would make you expect gunshots.

Holmes specifically chose Batman, right? I can't think of any reason someone would choose specifically choose this movie. I can't think of why someone would go into a theatre to shoot people at all, tbh.

While Holmes may have been found legally sane, he suffers from a major mental illness, IMHO. I think Batman caught his eye from all the publicity given that movie. It is too early to say with this person.

I agree, and I really wish people would think about the possible consequences of posting the shooter's identity before it is officially released by LE. For one thing, he no doubt has loved ones, just like the victims he killed. How awful would it be for them to learn the news through social media gossip.

Another important point made by a LASP sergeant on CNN just now is the potential risk to LEO's lives and the investigation if the name is released unofficially. Investigators will be visiting the homes of his relatives and known associates to question them. Their work can be carried out if with a higher degree of safety if those they call on are not expecting them.

I so wish that people would think and use social media responsibly. But that's just a pipe dream on my part.

My prayers go out to the victims, and all the good citizens of Lafayette. Even those who weren't injured will be disturbed for many years by the memory.

I once lived in an apartment on Johnston Street probably a mile or two from where the movie theatre stands today. Never in my wildest of wildest dreams could I have imagined something like this happening in that area back then. It makes me very sad.

You do make a good point. But it is strange to me that people feel this way when the shooter is white, but not of Middle Eastern descent or a police officer, or if the victims are a religious or racial minority.

The Latest: Motel Room Searched After Movie Theater Shooting
LAFAYETTE, La. — Jul 24, 2015, 6:26 AM ET

"Louisiana State Police spokesman Maj. Doug Cain said the theater investigation led them to a room at the Motel 6. Cain said authorities were investigating whether the shooter had stayed there. He said the bomb squad swept the room before going in as a precaution."

KATC's contiuous update

http://www.katc.com/category/291399/live-stream

Last night's 11 pm update by Police Chief Jim Craft

Paraphrased from livestream of Acadiana's, KATC ABC 3

Public being asked to stay away of Johnson Street Area, though not closed, as investigation continues into the weekend. (7:15 am)

PC expected sometime after 7:15 am. It's known the shooter had a criminal record that goes beyond LA.

The shooting seems to coincided with the Aurora Theater shooting adjudication, it has been noted.

At least one of the injured is still in critical condition. One confirmed to have been released.

(6:55 am currently LA time)

Law enforcement officials are expected to provide the latest updates on the Lafayette movie theater shootings in a news conference Friday morning (July 24). The news conference was originally set for 6 a.m. but has now been pushed back past 7 a.m.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2015/07/lafayette_theater_shooting_law.html

Lafayette Police Chief Jim Craft said the gunman was by himself and started the rampage by shooting the two people sitting in front of him.

The Latest: Motel room searched after movie theater shooting

http://www.kplctv.com/story/29623453/the-latest-motel-room-searched-after-movie-theater-shooting

"It looks like he spotted the officers coming in and he turned around and he went against the crowd, and he fired a single gunshot," he said. "He was seated in the theater just like everybody else."

"The information we have at this time indicates that he was by himself, sat by himself and the first two people he shot were sitting right in front of him," Craft said.

[video=twitter;624556978577117184]https://twitter.com/CunninghamWDSU/status/624556978577117184[/video]

Shooter identified of John R Houser, 59, of Alabama. He fired 13 rounds from a .40 caliber gun. Victims are 21 year old and 33 year old women.

KATC livestream

paraphrased from LE update:

"MAYCI" Breaux, 21 and Jillian Johnson, 33 did not know each other.

Shooter from Alabama. Was at the hotel since the beginning of July. Family estranged, not much contact with shooter. Said he drifted. Married at one time. The only connection found to the area, an uncle who lived there but has been deceased for over 30 something yrs. Had wig/s? in room. Had car plate/s? in room too.

Call with info: 337-291-8650

Attachments

• Shooter .png
    Shooter .png
    113.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Call.png
    Call.png
    155.2 KB · Views: 23
Lafayette theater gunman identified
By Carlie Kollath Wells, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
on July 24, 2015 at 7:23 AM, updated July 24, 2015 at 7:33 AM

What we know so far about the shooter from authorities and witnesses:

• Identified as John Russell Houser.
• 59-year-old man.
• Previously lived in Alabama and has been staying in a Lafayette motel since early July. Described as a "drifter."
• He acted alone.
• He watched 20 minutes of the movie before opening fire.
He started the rampage by shooting the two people sitting in front of him.
• "He wasn't saying anything" during the shooting.
• The gunman initially tried escaping by blending into the fleeing crowd, but turned back when he saw police heading inside from the parking lot.
• Officers tailing him back into the theater heard a single gunshot and found him dead inside.

More bullet points from the presser at the link

kZEy8G2.png

John Russell Houser

[video=twitter;624559720670601216]https://twitter.com/WCBD/status/624559720670601216[/video]

Jillian Johnson was a beautiful woman. I am in tears reading the comments on her Fb from her friends.

It appears he planned on fleeing, wigs and stuff found in his motel room (disguise stuff)

cnn

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amandalynn72
Back