Laura Babcock: Dellen Millard & Mark Smich charged w/Murder in the First Degree #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe that they can...question him...unless he and his lawyer agree to it.

Sure they can. He just doesn't have to answer.

The reason for the right to silence is to give you the opportunity to speak to a lawyer and then make a free and meaningful choice about whether to speak.

After speaking with the lawyer, the police can continue to ask you anything they want without the presence of a lawyer.

http://www.hosseinilaw.com/talking-to-the-police

:bump::bump: for Laura

Is TPS on summer vakay? Not a single word about Laura's case. Very, very sad :(

Where are you young lady?

I know we keep saying it will come out in the trial, but have trials ever not allowed the media in? I keep getting this feeling that no one is ever going to be privy to what really happened. Is this possible, or am I just being silly?. Remembering this is Canada and not the US where it is on television. I was just wondering.

I know we keep saying it will come out in the trial, but have trials ever not allowed the media in? I keep getting this feeling that no one is ever going to be privy to what really happened. Is this possible, or am I just being silly?. Remembering this is Canada and not the US where it is on television. I was just wondering.

In Canada I don't believe they let the media video tape the trials as they do in the U.S. However, as in the trial of Michael Rafferty who was convicted of murdering Victoria Stafford, Media was allowed in the court room where they live tweeted throughout the entire trial...with the exception of a few parts that were still covered under a publication ban. Some of what was covered under that ban was reported on after the trial was complete and the ban was lifted on some things. You never know though, there is a first time for everything and maybe at some point in time there will be video allowed in a court room via media in Canada!

:bump::bump: for Laura

Is TPS on summer vakay? Not a single word about Laura's case. Very, very sad :(

Where are you young lady?

When I was a teen, my parents filed a missing person's report with TPS relating to my sibling, who was technically both an adult and a teenager and was a real standout non-conformist who lived in a small community in the city and ran with some rebellious youths known to police.

I swear sib was back in our lives for close to a year before TPS called us to notify she had been spotted and was alive. The best part was she still lived where she lived when we reported, had the same friends, etc. TPS never even knocked on her door when we reported. We figured out they called us because they had stopped and warned her about wearing banned clothing. I guess once they typed her name in, they saw the missing persons report and called us. By that point she had already come back to celebrate a number of major holidays with us!!!
They do not look for missing persons in T.O., imho. Not for young people who have fought with their parents and left home.

When I was a teen, my parents filed a missing person's report with TPS relating to my sibling, who was technically both an adult and a teenager and was a real standout non-conformist who lived in a small community in the city and ran with some rebellious youths known to police.

I swear sib was back in our lives for close to a year before TPS called us to notify she had been spotted and was alive. The best part was she still lived where she lived when we reported, had the same friends, etc. TPS never even knocked on her door when we reported. We figured out they called us because they had stopped and warned her about wearing banned clothing. I guess once they typed her name in, they saw the missing persons report and called us. By that point she had already come back to celebrate a number of major holidays with us!!!
They do not look for missing persons in T.O., imho. Not for young people who have fought with their parents and left home.

This isn't just in T.O. I've known people with similar situations in other cities, one in Ontario and one in Alberta. The problem is, even if they find the person, once they're of legal age to leave (it was 16 at the time), there is nothing they can do. They can't make the person return home, can't make them call, can't even tell you where they are without the missing person's permission. They can only tell you the person is safe and doesn't want contact with you. It's a catch 22 for the police. So, unfortunately, unless there is some evidence that they didn't just leave, I don't think it gets the attention it sometimes should.

JMO

What trial are you referring to? Has there been an update regarding LB's disappearance?

I am sorry, I meant to post this on the DM thread.

But while I am here, I keep wondering why her family has basically given up in finding LB. Is it better to pretend someone is still alive, than knowing for sure they are not? If my son were missing, and I hadn't heard from him in a year, I would be out pounding the pavement, hounding the cops day in and day out to find my son. Very strange, indeed. I would talk to the media daily, asking for updates, you would see my face everywhere begging for help in finding my son.

It is likely that during the current investigation of DM, if he was involved or had Guilty Knowledge/Concealed Information, about her disappearance, some sign of it would surface.

That "discovery of info" and subsequent action is dependent on many variables in this case as when multiple jurisdictions are involved in a task sometimes no one is specifically following that trail aggressively.
Possibly, if some definite thread of nefarious disappearance is found, TPS could move on it.

In Canada I don't believe they let the media video tape the trials as they do in the U.S. However, as in the trial of Michael Rafferty who was convicted of murdering Victoria Stafford, Media was allowed in the court room where they live tweeted throughout the entire trial...with the exception of a few parts that were still covered under a publication ban. Some of what was covered under that ban was reported on after the trial was complete and the ban was lifted on some things. You never know though, there is a first time for everything and maybe at some point in time there will be video allowed in a court room via media in Canada!

This is not meant personally, just to clarify...
Once a trial starts, media is allowed to report everything the jury hears, including things previously covered by a publication ban. The media is NOT allowed to publish anything that has not been discussed in front of the jury (in the Stafford trial, MR's internet searches etc) in order to keep the verdicts as least tainted as possible. After the trial is done (or once the jury is sequestered) essentially....all hell breaks loose.

With a PB in place on this case, we don't know what the judge has specified under the PB. It could be everything related to the case. At some point the PB may be removed but I highly doubt it. We will likely have to wait until the trial to get more information as it's presented during trial. As I mentioned way back in one of my posts regarding MR's case, the public wasn't privy to the fact the Crown had also tacked on the charge of sexual assault causing bodily harm against VS until pretrial. So if evidence is found regarding LB or WM death and it's ruled murder committed by DM, again we may not find out until trial. IMO I don't believe it will be public knowledge prior to trial as defense may argue this information could taint a jury pool and request that information be covered under the PB. If DM is found to have committed more than one murder, and the jurors find him guilty, he will more than likely remain in prison for the rest of his life classified as a dangerous offender. MOO

* I would like to add to Swede's post here..THAT we BOTH followed TS trial and were shocked at what the Police knew...( one suspect pleaded GUILTY and no one knew aside from the ppl in that court as MR was to appear in trial yet!

IMO the POLICE held their PRESS conference ...SAID CLEARLY THIS IS just the TIP of and ICEBERG....as they sadly said they have id TB..and the PB BAN went into affect immediately....

.SB is very careful IF you choose to listen to her....and she even says I must CHOOSE MY WORDS carefully as this is YET to go to trial....

As many of you may Know Michael Rafferty is still trying to APPEAL ....and JUDGE HEENEY was extremely careful in that trial....( tori).....

I would suggest we wait till the evidence is released in COURT....I will be GLAD to tweet the trial here as I did during Tori's trial as it will not be procasted! ...Reporters will be using tweeter....huge SIGH....robynhood.

So if evidence is found regarding LB or WM death and it's ruled murder committed by DM, again we may not find out until trial. IMO I don't believe it will be public knowledge prior to trial as defense may argue this information could taint a jury pool and request that information be covered under the PB. If DM is found to have committed more than one murder, and the jurors find him guilty, he will more than likely remain in prison for the rest of his life classified as a dangerous offender. MOO

If DM was charged with the murder of LB, regardless of the publication ban, her own family would have been contacted and told she was deceased. JMO. The fact that her family is still pleading for her safe return on FB as recently as August 4th suggests that they have reason to think she may still be found alive. JMO.

If DM was charged with the murder of LB, regardless of the publication ban, her own family would have been contacted and told she was deceased. JMO. The fact that her family is still pleading for her safe return on FB as recently as August 4th suggests that they have reason to think she may still be found alive. JMO.

IMO, I highly doubt Laura is out there living in a vacuum somewhere. IF she is alive, to our knowledge neither she nor anyone else who knows that fact has contacted LE to say she's alive and simply doesn't wish to be contacted.

I am sorry, I meant to post this on the DM thread.

But while I am here, I keep wondering why her family has basically given up in finding LB. Is it better to pretend someone is still alive, than knowing for sure they are not? If my son were missing, and I hadn't heard from him in a year, I would be out pounding the pavement, hounding the cops day in and day out to find my son. Very strange, indeed. I would talk to the media daily, asking for updates, you would see my face everywhere begging for help in finding my son.

Although I agree with you, that I think I would be asking the media daily and such, I don't really think its fair to say they have given up. We don't know the efforts that they might be making if those efforts are not in the press, and it is quite possible that they are in fact asking the media everyday, but the media machine has moved on and doesn't see her as today's headline anymore. It could be that they are relying on prayer more than flyers to bring her home. Unfortunately I have to agree with Snoofu, that she could actually just be living down the road and still remain officially missing, sadly. They seem to be a private sort as well, if I remember, something about a memorial where press and the public were discouraged from attending, perhaps they are happy not to have reporters digging at their wounds and want to grieve and worry in private.

What I am wondering, perhaps some here know, I don't believe that she herself is part of the media ban, but is it possible that her family has come into some evidence or knowledge that, because of the DM media ban, that they cannot or may not want to release, but that might now give some people the impression that they have given up? In my opinion, it seems that the public or media lost a lot of its vigour to find LB when it was announced that she had connections to prostitution, and again when it was quietly reported that DM was not in fact the last known person to have contact with her. It could be that they worry that the media will abandon her search altogether.

Regardless of the perception of the family's public efforts, all of our hearts go out to LB and her family, and I personally hold out hope that she is alive and well and living a life of her choosing somewhere.

Although I agree with you, that I think I would be asking the media daily and such, I don't really think its fair to say they have given up. We don't know the efforts that they might be making if those efforts are not in the press, and it is quite possible that they are in fact asking the media everyday, but the media machine has moved on and doesn't see her as today's headline anymore. It could be that they are relying on prayer more than flyers to bring her home. Unfortunately I have to agree with Snoofu, that she could actually just be living down the road and still remain officially missing, sadly. They seem to be a private sort as well, if I remember, something about a memorial where press and the public were discouraged from attending, perhaps they are happy not to have reporters digging at their wounds and want to grieve and worry in private.

What I am wondering, perhaps some here know, I don't believe that she herself is part of the media ban, but is it possible that her family has come into some evidence or knowledge that, because of the DM media ban, that they cannot or may not want to release, but that might now give some people the impression that they have given up? In my opinion, it seems that the public or media lost a lot of its vigour to find LB when it was announced that she had connections to prostitution, and again when it was quietly reported that DM was not in fact the last known person to have contact with her. It could be that they worry that the media will abandon her search altogether.

Regardless of the perception of the family's public efforts, all of our hearts go out to LB and her family, and I personally hold out hope that she is alive and well and living a life of her choosing somewhere.

:goodpost:

I have a feeling we can all agree with this post. Very nicely said, Jubes.

IMO, I highly doubt Laura is out there living in a vacuum somewhere. IF she is alive, to our knowledge neither she nor anyone else who knows that fact has contacted LE to say she's alive and simply doesn't wish to be contacted.

Why Sbilly, do you think LE is going to issue a press release to tell us LB is alive? They barely acknowledged she's been missing!

Any info on LB's known whereabouts could and would be available in many places - Toronto Police would not be one of them considering the embarrassment the endured over her missing person report. Jmo from reading about the many antics of TPS in the news.

Similar in point, when my 18 year old sib flew from the Maritimes to visit us in TO and did not arrive, hubby and I were at our wit's end with worry. After confirming her arrival with the airline and checking all the taxis, car rentals and hospitals, we called LE. Their response in that instance was one best characterized as robotic disinterest. They seemed quite confident she'd eventually show up. Anyway, there was no further contact with or from them and indeed she did show up. About a week later. Utterly puzzled by our worry. (I'm an adult, etc.) Apparently she met a perfect stranger on the plane and the relationship took a week to cool. Fortunately dear sis actually did turn into a responsible adult later on, though it took a few years.

TB's missing person report seems very different though. LE seems to have been on the case within hours. A good thing, if you ask me, but is it possible they already had wind off something in advance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties