Laura Babcock Murder Trial 11.08.17 - Day 12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems from texts shown today that in June 2012, CN and DM were breaking up. He was telling her that she was no longer his gf and they were fighting over who was cheating on who it seems. Laura seemed to be a big reason CN would argue with DM. Yet at some point after June 2012 they must have gotten back together because they were together when DM was arrested in May 2013.

So what reassured CN after the June 2012 fight/break up? Did she find out Laura was out of the picture for good? I am curious to see what their texts say after July 2012. CN joined the fb group about LB going missing. Did she text DM anything about it? I guess we will find out...

They sure did leave us and the jury with a cliffhanger of DM & CN breaking up. I wonder if that was on purpose?

Who said they were breaking up? They were arguing over each other’s infidelities, neither of which have been proven. Certainly the texts show that Millard was doing his best to avoid LB, so LB may very well have been lying in that text to CN. Whether CNs friend actually took her up on her offer is unknown as well. But neither seems to be talking about ending their relationship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They sure did leave us and the jury with a cliffhanger of DM & CN breaking up. I wonder if that was on purpose?

If it was, I'm impressed. Timing that to occur at end of the day in trial like this would be amazing. IMO

From Adam Carter:
Millard to "Kinks": I'm gonna go talk to Laura about cell phones."
Message back from Kinks "Why.." Millard: "Cause it's Andrew’s, and he's like family."
Another message from Millard to Kinks "Thought you'd be uncomfortable me seeing her, so I thought to tell you before I saw her .

Can’t figure it out myself

To me it sounds like at some point he gave a phone to LB that may have originally been promised to AM. When the relationship went south he decided to get it back and give it to AM. We’ve seen a long pattern of Millard promising things to people, so this may be an example. He may also have been considering giving LBs phone to AM after she was dead, and he's creating an alibi for as to how he had gotten it in case anybody got wise to it. He may have had second thoughts and thrown it in the lake.

Reading the text exchanges between DM and CN: they really deserved each other. Their ways of phrasing their texts are so similar. CN could be the female version of DM.

I wonder if they can be sentenced consecutively as opposed to concurrently since these are two entirely different cases?
I would be extremely disappointed if a first degree murder conviction for LB runs concurrently (at the same time) with the TB conviction.
I appreciate this trial is about justice for Laura and her family but IMO if the parole ineligibility for these two doesn't get bumped to 50 years (25x2) then this trial - in large part - is a waste of time and money. And DM & MS effectively get a free murder. If they are sentenced consecutively I would give the taxpayers of Ontario a break and not go ahead with the Mr Millard Sr trial. But I would like to see DM with a dangerous offender designation.

Parenting is hard, but ignoring the problem child and letting him run wild, condoning his behaviour, knowing about the drugs and gun being held at the family home, going with one of her daughters to the apartment MS was hiding out at, right before his arrest in TB case, and telling him to get all that stuff out of the family home....... that is not a parental role I would be proud of. JMO.

I agree with this 100%. Smich had already been busted for tagging, yet he has a bag full of spray cans in plane view. He had drug paraphernalia sitting out in the open. And, without a job, shows up with a $1000 iPad. This kid was clearly unafraid of any discipline from his mother. She is definitely responsible for not steering that kid straight, or at least attempting to do so, when his life was in crisis. Most of all though, if I were in her shoes, I would not support or have anything to do with my son unless he were to come clean and admit to all that he has done. What he is putting the Babcock through right now, and what he put the Bosma family through previously, are possibly his most cruel crimes to date, and she is enabling him.

I would be extremely disappointed if a first degree murder conviction for LB runs concurrently (at the same time) with the TB conviction.
I appreciate this trial is about justice for Laura and her family but IMO if the parole ineligibility for these two doesn't get bumped to 50 years (25x2) then this trial - in large part - is a waste of time and money. And DM & MS effectively get a free murder. If they are sentenced consecutively I would give the taxpayers of Ontario a break and not go ahead with the Mr Millard Sr trial. But I would like to see DM with a dangerous offender designation.

The judge in this case was partly responsible for the Karla Homolka plea deal, I would hope that he wants to avoid another black mark on his resume and that he will dole out a fitting punishment if they are found guilty. I think today's testimony ruled out any notion that Smich was unaware of the murder plan, so I'm pretty sure these guys will be both found guilty.

This has been discussed previously. There is a long list of crimes that are eligible for a dangerous offender application, but murder is not one of them. He would have to be charged with some other kind of personal violence offence, and there is no indication that that will happen. You would have to think though that if convicted the sentences will be served consecutively. If not for these kinds of cases, then what for?

I agree with this 100%. Smich had already been busted for tagging, yet he has a bag full of spray cans in plane view. He had drug paraphernalia sitting out in the open. And, without a job, shows up with a $1000 iPad. This kid was clearly unafraid of any discipline from his mother. She is definitely responsible for not steering that kid straight, or at least attempting to do so, when his life was in crisis. Most of all though, if I were in her shoes, I would not support or have anything to do with my son unless he were to come clean and admit to all that he has done. What he is putting the Babcock through right now, and what he put the Bosma family through previously, are possibly his most cruel crimes to date, and she is enabling him.

And DM was offered many opportunities. From what we have heard, his parents spoiled him. I believe it was at TB's trial that a friend of the family attended and mentioned Wayne bought DM Jet Skis to to take his minions on adventures. One was Jet skiing around Manhattan Island. I believe he also took the skis up to Alaska.

Of course, we are discussing "children" in their twenty's. We only have glimpses of their teenage years, MS's run ins with the law, and DM's stay with his uncle.

"With a sneer in his voice, Burns — who is married with six children — told the court he has known Millard "sporadically" throughout his life. When his nephew was a child between the ages of three and 15, Burns tried to spend lots of time with him because his parents split up. (They later reunited, court heard.) From ages 15 to 17, he maintained contact with his nephew for "altruistic reasons."

I'm wondering about that move to put her on the stand at the TB trial. She knew by that time just how much she was being cheated on. What possible motive could there have been for her to keep silent? Was she really as deluded as he was that he would get off? Or was she in no position to testify against him?

CN is not stupid and I don't think she is loyal to Millard either. She could just as easily be in the defendants box with Smich and Millard on this one. The texts are almost enough, but they would need testimony from Millard to make it happen. CN knew this, and when she testified at TBs trial she was quite aware that if she said anything damning about Millard, he may very well spill the dirt on her about the LB murder. Thats the frustrating thing with this whole affair, everyone involved is guilty of something and none of them are telling the 100% truth or 100% of what they know, because doing so would implicate themselves in that crime or some other crime.

Fine. Bad parenting but does that mean the family must cut him out of their lives. You may not agree but, every child deserves their mother's love. Without that he'd probably be more F'ed up.

We don't know what has gone one in MS mother's head. She may have struggled for years and finally determined to stand by her son knowing life inside isn't pretty. Let him have family. She may struggle every hour of the day with this decision and doesn't deserve a camera being shoved in her face. Not that I agree with her reaction but it, and she, doesn't require, IMO, this level of scrutiny. It's not like she chased him down, he was clearly within arms/purse reach.

Leave her in peace. This isn't easy on her, I'm guessing.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

I think MS’ mom likely believes his stories and thinks he was caught up with a bad influence and at the most was involved in the aftermath of the murders. That’s my sense from the accounts of her court behaviour in the two trials (eye rolling, gum smacking). Families know accused both more and less completely than court watchers like us. It’s very hard sometimes to square the child they know with the crimes alleged, and because of that they believe and side with their child.

CN is not stupid and I don't think she is loyal to Millard either. She could just as easily be in the defendants box with Smich and Millard on this one. The texts are almost enough, but they would need testimony from Millard to make it happen. CN knew this, and when she testified at TBs trial she was quite aware that if she said anything damning about Millard, he may very well spill the dirt on her about the LB murder. Thats the frustrating thing with this whole affair, everyone involved is guilty of something and none of them are telling the 100% truth or 100% of what they know, because doing so would implicate themselves in that crime or some other crime.

What dirt is there to spill?

Is Mr Dungey representing MS through Ontario Legal Aid or is a family member paying some very fat legal bills?

And DM was offered many opportunities. From what we have heard, his parents spoiled him. I believe it was at TB's trial that a friend of the family attended and mentioned Wayne bought DM Jet Skis to to take his minions on adventures. One was Jet skiing around Manhattan Island. I believe he also took the skis up to Alaska.

Of course, we are discussing "children" in their twenty's. We only have glimpses of their teenage years, MS's run ins with the law, and DM's stay with his uncle.

"With a sneer in his voice, Burns — who is married with six children — told the court he has known Millard "sporadically" throughout his life. When his nephew was a child between the ages of three and 15, Burns tried to spend lots of time with him because his parents split up. (They later reunited, court heard.) From ages 15 to 17, he maintained contact with his nephew for "altruistic reasons."

Lets not confuse spoiling a child with good parenting. What is quite evident with both these guys is that they both lacked an authority figure in their lives. Sometimes a kid needs to be put up against the wall and told "straighten up or get the *advertiser censored** out". That obviously didn't happen for either of these guys.

One would have to think that CN was questioned in relation to Laura's murder when all her texts were captured discussing her with DM.

Is there an official witness list anywhere?

What dirt is there to spill?

You have seen how incriminating their text messages are, imagine what their actual conversations were like. Millard has nothing to lose at this point by going to the cops and saying that CN knew this and that, and that he would testify against her. There is a reason why CN spent so much time in prison. They were trying to break her.

One would have to think that CN was questioned in relation to Laura's murder when all her texts were captured discussing her with DM.

Is there an official witness list anywhere?

She probably was questioned by police, but it is very evident that there is no repercussions for lying to police.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties