Laura Babcock Murder Trial 12.06.17 - Closing Arguments - Day 2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I recall Abro saying it was the media that coined that motive? Did the Crown actually state that? It seems like an opportunistic thrill kill for both of them. That's what the crown said for TB despite the truck theft aspect of it.

I agree 100% with Abro. The crown did not present this as a love triangle; it is the media that grabbed and ran with that phrase. Dramatic and no doubt intended to increase page clicks.

Now seeing more texts between Millard and Smich. "What it shows is Mark is not with Millard at all," Dungey says.
by Adam Carter 12:36 PM

Now seeing some more texts from Millard to Smich from that evening. "I'll be back in 15 mins, don't be out front." Dungey says this is Millard telling Smich to stay in the basement. Dungey says if Smich was involved, why would he care about seeing Laura Babcock, if she was there and they were going to harm her?
by Adam Carter 12:38 PM

or Night is clearly a troll who needs to be removed from this forum. Every single one of their posts is in direct support of these idiots. Everyone yes is entitled to their opinions but to suggests that Laura is still alive and just missing and what a great lawyer DM is; is ludicrous and only meant to evoke a negative response. Clearly anyone with half a brain cell knows that she is not a missing person out there somewhere still alive, and DM being a great lawyer **** come on grab a clue he is clearly NOT and has proven this time and time again throughout this trial. No great lawyer gets corrected multiple times by a judge or displays such utter disregard to proper procedure in a trial setting.

EVERY TIME I read their response it elicits a very negative response in me. This is the murder of a young woman with her whole life ahead of her and Nights comments are disrespectful and just plain ignorant.

Thank you, I am sorry this is happening as well. I came here to participate in thoughtful, intelligent discussion and not to fight or to listen to others fight. Trolls belong in TW.

During the trial the Crown goes first so the Crown calls the witnesses first. The Crown did not call this one.
The defense lawyers have to go by what the Crown does.

The defense can call their own witnesses if they choose. They could have called this person if it helped their case.

Millard also texts Smich that night "I'm on a mission, back in 1 hr." Dungey makes a point to say "Millard is on a mission, not Smich."
by Adam Carter 12:39 PM

Now seeing texts from Jearly morning, July 4. Smich is asking Millard "Where u at?" Millard responds "I'm around." "Smich doesn't even know where he is," Dungey says. "If they committed this crime, they'd be together. They wouldn't be texting each other."
by Adam Carter 12:40 PM

Now seeing more texts between Millard and Smich. "What it shows is Mark is not with Millard at all," Dungey says.
by Adam Carter 12:36 PM

Now seeing some more texts from Millard to Smich from that evening. "I'll be back in 15 mins, don't be out front." Dungey says this is Millard telling Smich to stay in the basement. Dungey says if Smich was involved, why would he care about seeing Laura Babcock, if she was there and they were going to harm her?
by Adam Carter 12:38 PM

Hmm, with all due respect, Mr. Dungey, I think it was more that DM didn't want LB to see MS.

During the trial the Crown goes first so the Crown calls the witnesses first. The Crown did not call this one.
The defense lawyers have to go by what the Crown does.

The defence can choose to call whatever witnesses they want to regardless of what the Crown does.

In fact, the Crown often wouldn't call a witness that may be helpful to the defence in order to force the defence to call evidence and also because it allows the Crown to be able to cross-examine that witness.

"It's there in black and white," Dungey says, that Millard and Smich weren't together that night, when the Crown alleges Babcock was killed.
by Adam Carter 12:42 PM

Now 10:53 a.m. on July 4. Millard to Smich "I rolled my first spliff." Dungey says that means he rolled his first joint, and the two aren't together. "Smich was not in the presence of Laura Babcock."
by Adam Carter 12:43 PM

The defense is needing to guess at what the Crown will say in their closing as per the motive. They are now trying to defend any angle that they think the crown will use.
It was the media that talked about the love triangle after the crown used text messages between DM and CN to imply this possibility. They have not spelled out a clear motive yet, though. The defense needs to predict possibilities in their last hail mary.

"My client had nothing to do with any disappearance of Laura Babcock. Nothing," Dungey says. "A rap is what they have. A rap and these two boys. That's what you're left with."
by Adam Carter 12:44 PM

"What happened to Laura? I don't know," Dungey says. "There has been no evidence as to what happened to Laura."
by Adam Carter 12:44 PM

Dungey asks the jury to return a verdict of not guilty for Mark Smich. He's now done his closing.
by Adam Carter 12:46 PM

We're now taking a one hour lunch recess. Then Crown Jill Cameron will start her closing address to the jury.
by Adam Carter 12:46 PM

Dungey says there were thousands of text messages going back in forth that we've seen in this case. "Did you ever hear in one text message, my client involved with Laura Babcock?" Dungey asks, his voice booming. "No. Not one text message. Why? Because he's not involved in this so called love triangle."
by Adam Carter 10:31 AM

"We don't know if they talked, or spoke, or were even introduced," Dungey says.
by Adam Carter 10:32 AM

No, there was just an extensive text storm about building an incinerator and acquiring some kind of body to burn in it. You don't need a relationship with a body to do that.

Kind of surprised Dungey went so hyperbolic in his closing. Think it hurts your presentation when you're declaring things absurd and crazy when they aren't.

Overall though I think he did what he wanted to do. Will be interested in the crowns approach.

Dungey says Dr. Tracy Roger's testimony was confusing, and it was difficult to see what was going on in those photos.
by Adam Carter 11:59 AM[/COLOR]

It is not a video, it's a picture!!! Let's hear about the rap video.

It's rather rich of TD to try and discredit the witness testimony of the two young friends of MS and characterize them as unreliable drug users, when it is his own client who is a convicted murderer.

All MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members