Laura Babcock Murder Trial - *GUILTY*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Dungey again arguing that Smich deserves concurrent time here, and not consecutive sentences. Code again says "What makes this case so aggravating ... is the two offences are so separate."
by Adam Carter 4:32 PM

"We've got a person here who can influence people," Dungey says about Millard.
by Adam Carter 4:36 PM

"Smich would not be here if he had not met Mr. Millard," Dungey says again.
by Adam Carter 4:37 PM

Dungey is now done with his submissions.
by Adam Carter 4:38 PM

Guys, honestly, I am missing the point here....what rehabilitation are they talking about there????? Rehabilitation starts with accepting the guilt...they both pleaded not guilty...why would they want to rehabilitate????? This is sooo frustrating.....

The Crown is now replying. Cameron says there are "many aggravating facts" in what Millard and Smich did, like "burning her body, leaving her family to wonder for many years where she was."
by Adam Carter 4:40 PM

Cameron now talking about case law with sentencing. She says Dungey was incorrect about a judge being able to sentence "up to" 25 years. Says he was referring to a second-degree murder case.
by Adam Carter 4:42 PM

Cameron also says case law strongly disagrees with the idea that convicted murderers need some sort of "light at the end of the tunnel" when it comes to the idea of parole.
by Adam Carter 4:43 PM

Lisa Hepfner@HefCHCHNews 6m6 minutes ago
Crown Jill Cameron has more #Smich aggravating factors to add. The burning of the bodies. The letters, the way they talk about Babcock. The raps and the gloating to friends about what they did to Laura #Babcock. Taking pictures of her remains.

Cameron says Canadian law requires one sentence for someone convicted of first degree murder, no matter their role.
by Adam Carter 4:48 PM

Lisa Hepfner@HefCHCHNews
Once you've been found guilty of a planned and deliberate murder, "our law requires one sentence," Cameron says. "These are separate murders planned one after the other in great detail."

The only question is whether to impose the sentences consecutively or concurrently, and the answer is obvious, Cameron says. Judge says that means he's left with two extremes -- 25 years or 50 years without parole. Cameron agrees.

"Mr Smich may not be as horrible as Mr. Millard. He may not be. But he has still done a horrible thing. He may have had a tougher life than Mr. Millard, but so have a lot of people, and they do not go out and murder people ... what Mr. Smich lacks is a conscience," Cameron says.
by Adam Carter 4:50 PM

Cameron is done. Code says he's reserving judgement and hopes to have something "within the next two weeks."
by Adam Carter 4:51 PM

Thanks so much to all involved for all the tweets today! Always very much appreciated.

Code says he is setting aside a sentencing date on Monday, Feb. 26 at 2:30 p.m.
by Adam Carter 4:55 PM

Code gives Millard and Smich the option to say something in their defence. They both stand and respond "no thank you," one after the other.

Code says he is setting aside a sentencing date on Monday, Feb. 26 at 2:30 p.m.

Code gives Millard and Smich the option to say something in their defence. They both stand and respond "no thank you," one after the other.

bbm

And that silence, my friends, speaks volumes.

All MOO

bbm

And that silence, my friends, speaks volumes.

All MOO

I think we have to assume that that is just prudent legal advice when the cases are under appeal. That context is not the best place to be looking for signs of remorse, but that said, it's also safe to say we haven't seen any. Millard is almost certainly not capable, and for me Smich is an unknown on that front.

This whole thing is making me sick.

How in the hell can that woman sleep at night writing a character reference for DM. Same with the security guard. Give me a break. I hope those people have nightmares that haunt them for life.

This is just going to get worse for the next trial. Lock em up and throw away the key.

Thanks to all who helped tweet today. I had forgotten this was today and luckily popped in and saw it.
I will admit I rolled my eyes during most of Pillay and Dungey's attempt to make these murderers appear as if they are half way human..OMG.

This whole thing is making me sick.

How in the hell can that woman sleep at night writing a character reference for DM. Same with the security guard. Give me a break. I hope those people have nightmares that haunt them for life.

This is just going to get worse for the next trial. Lock em up and throw away the key.

It's Millard's specialty. He can sense those susceptible to his sycophant way. Lisa knows the details of this case, and still chooses to provide a character reference. From her time on the stand, she sure seemed to have memory lapses. She should stick to what she knows, bookkeeping. MOO

I would expect the Judge to take into consideration the relationship of those submitting character references to DM. Besides convicts and a guard, it's his mom and bookkeeper who is still on the payroll.

It's Millard's specialty. He can sense those susceptible to his sycophant way. Lisa knows the details of this case, and still chooses to provide a character reference. From her time on the stand, she sure seemed to have memory lapses. She should stick to what she knows, bookkeeping. MOO

I would expect the Judge to take into consideration the relationship of those submitting character references to DM. Besides convicts and a guard, it's his mom and bookkeeper who is still on the payroll.

As I often have in this case, I felt a pang of sympathy for DM's mother. The guy the courts and evidence describe probably IS a stranger to her. Because she is a mother she has both more and less of the truth of the whole man. His manipulation of her at points was painful. Ugh.

Dungey says we don't want inmates "coming out worse than when they went in." He says Smich has "come to terms with his convictions" and he's trying to better himself.
by Adam Carter 4:24 PM

Dungey also points out that Smich wasn't trying to "manipulate witnesses," like Millard did. "So it's an absence of an aggravating factor," Code says. "It's a positive, lets stay positive," Dungey says.
by Adam Carter 4:25 PM

"We don't throw these people in jail and throw away the key," Dungey says. "Do we want to create an America up here? No thank you."
by Adam Carter 4:26 PM

"He's got two life sentences. What parole board is not going to take a hard, hard look at this? He's going to get extra attention," Dungey says, adding Smich would likely be refused parole a few times, easily.
by Adam Carter 4:29 PM

Smitch telling Meneses to not tell them anything.... is that not manipulating or ordering around a witness?

Lock them hem both up for 50 yeArs. Set a precedent if need be, but for the love of public safety do not give either of them any opportunity to re-offend.

Pillay is running through case law that includes a man opening fire in a food court, or a case that involved cannibalism. He says it's these sorts of incidents where a person needs to be totally removed from society, where an offender is "beyond redemption."
by Adam Carter 3:12 PM
And people who murder, incinerate, and then compose rap songs about it are also without redemption and should be removed from society

Do you think serial killers are more easily repaired than mass murderers?

Thank you everyone for tweets and commentary. Catching up Justice Code may be feeling unwell but his humorous wit is great today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lisa Hepfner@HefCHCHNews
3m3 minutes ago

“These are messages of excitement,” that they now have the means of disposing of murder victims, Cameron says.

“BBQ is done its warmup. Ready for meat.” That is how they referred to Laura #Babcock, Cameron says. Smiling, mugging photos of the convicted after the murder. Including a photo of Laura #Babcock body rolled in a tarp.

Evidence points to #Smich complete participation in the murders. Neither convict seemed confused or upset after murder.

This is revolting and infuriating.

And people who murder, incinerate, and then compose rap songs about it are also without redemption and should be removed from society
if i remember correctly the fellow that was charged with cannibalism is free now after serving some time in a physc hospital. Just reflect back to TB and LB and the suffering of each and their families.

Smitch telling Meneses to not tell them anything.... is that not manipulating or ordering around a witness?

Lock them hem both up for 50 yeArs. Set a precedent if need be, but for the love of public safety do not give either of them any opportunity to re-offend.

Just jumping off your post Georgeo...

What is most important here is that neither the Bosmas nor the Babcocks have to endure any more pain from the legal system in the form of parole hearings or requests for day parole from either of these killers for at least 50 years. They should never have to fear that either of them may have a chance to apply for parole, let alone regain their freedom, in their lifetime. These two have already dragged them through enough already, especially DM with his complete manipulation of the system and his callous behavior towards the families in both trials.

MOO

I followed along today but didn't have the opportunity to engage as I did -- so, now, a big hello to all of you once again!

A few general comments and observations, as I lack both the patience and energy to go back and quote reply:

The introduction of those never-before-seen texts (knife/ask you to cut someone/like it, dark days + pay off) ... I'm sorry for the language, but I shouted a big "F&^% THESE GUYS!!!" in my head as these communications were shared. I am so revolted by their callous, boner-iffic talk over such horrific things. I never ONCE believed Smich to be a patsy or a tag along, and these were the direct indictments I needed to see to secure my thought. These two idiots deserve each other and everything they have coming to them, judicially and otherwise.
DM's apparent look toward MS while TD spun his my-client's-a-victim-of-circumstance story is rather telling to me.
Equitable division of labour in these schemes, no doubt.

I found it hilarious that their primary votes of reform came from inmates. Granted, this is the extent of your social circle in the last X years, but come on -- even these two would have to see how laughable that is. What, no words from AM, the BFF you paraded throughout trial?

I do feel for their mothers ... they are likely torn up trying to reconcile their own feelings. Much as the Babcocks and the Bosmas have suffered losses, so have these mothers; albeit in a very different way, but arguably no less tragic.

I can't blame MB or Smich's mother for throwing their sons a bone as a hail Mary ... but the bogus story about being thrown down the stairs while in utero? Domestic violence is no laughing matter, but GET A FRICKING GRIP, Dungey! My goodness, I am so thankful that Code called him right out on that nonsense.

RP showing up was like DM throwing in a pinch hitter. You played your 7 innings, and are now bringing out the ringer with big balls (baseball metaphor, relax ;) ), big words and flashy socks to try to clean up the mess you made of the game. And here he is swinging at whatever comes his way. He may be an impressive player, but you brought him out too late. Even he can't even the score now.

As has been mentioned, no reformation or redemption without remorse. I'd be quite satisfied to see these goons get consecutive sentences -- in a very cathartic way, giving these boys theirs releases the Babcocks from their own.

Up until now, I have always endeavored to speak about both convicted with some decorum while trying to maintain some tact. But ... I'm sorry. I just can't today.

I see zero chance of true, honest change in either of these men.
They will live out the remainder of their sad lives in reflection of the choices they made; but I feel it will be with a "glory days" mentality rather than one of remorse for anything other than getting caught.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melavista21
Back