Laura Babcock Murder Trial - *GUILTY*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So nothing on the 'curious' letter yet?

Yeah, what was that about? I can't even hazard a guess as to who it may have come from or what it may contain to be entered in as an exhibit and left in the hands of counsel to ... do with as they please?

I respect your opinion, andreww, but I think that MS was on a collision course with evil and IMO, his basest inclinations would have taken him into the realm of murder at some point with someone. It just so happened that he met DM and the rest is history. He shows no remorse, IMO. I have no doubt that MS's interest in both crime and guns would have led him to taking a life or more lives if he thought it would benefit him in some sick way, IMO.

Both DM and MS are sociopaths without conscience, IMO. In any case, we will never know with any certainty what MS's life would have been had he not met DM and vice versa. All we know is all we know, IMO.

All MOO
I also think that MS would have still got into more serious crimes. He like violence. There is a video he made that was fiction but it is really violent and gruesome. It was taken down from youtube. He was smiling after the murders and did not look shook up at all. If you read what they said about his father today, that the father was violent and physically abused the mother and one sister. I guess it was in MS s genes to also enjoy violence. When he was saying the rap about the murder of Laura he was really enjoying it. He is a very dangerous person and all the letters to say how he is such a model prisoner is just like how he got up to testify and every word out of his mouth a lie. He is a master manipulator.

I forgot Justice Code was involved with Karla's deal, that's twenty three years ago now, I bet he wishes he'd have that one back

Just jumping off your post Georgeo...

What is most important here is that neither the Bosmas nor the Babcocks have to endure any more pain from the legal system in the form of parole hearings or requests for day parole from either of these killers for at least 50 years. They should never have to fear that either of them may have a chance to apply for parole, let alone regain their freedom, in their lifetime. These two have already dragged them through enough already, especially DM with his complete manipulation of the system and his callous behavior towards the families in both trials.

MOO
I couldn't agree more, Kamille. It's a public safety issue, but it's also a justice issue for both these families. I've been the victim of a crime, and I can tell you first hand, the parole process is maddening and never ended. There's always the next level of parole they are eligible for, and with each level they integrate further into your world. You get updates, opportunities to advocate for yourself, and each time it takes a part of you because it does nothing. My ex finishes parole at the end of this year, and as awful as it's been, I'm now scared for it to be over, because I'll no longer be informed of the going-ons of his life and whereabouts. Nothing's protecting me then.

I would like the Babcock's and the Bosma's to be spared of this as long as possible. I would like the injustices they have endued to stand alone.

I'm surprised the interpretation around the change in legislation related to 'concurrent/consecutive' was such a confusing issue to both legal sides, and the judge.

Code seemed to be pondering his options, and the flexibility he has within those options. If I understand the tweets correctly, Code was wondering if he could allocate a hybrid parole eligibility sentence when a "consecutive" sentence is being considered.

Can the Judge select a parole eligibility somewhere between concurrent and full consecutive? I believe Dungey was responding to this question when he said it was up to the Judge. However, Cameron pointed out the eligibility for first degree murder is fixed at a minimum of 25 years, and that second degree allowed the judge to select something less.

But does that hold true for multiple murders when considering additional parole eligibility time on top of 25 years?

Hope my confusion around the issue makes sense?

If a constitutional challenge on consecutive life sentences with 25 year parole eligibility ever succeeds it’s likely to be based on the fact that a judge has no latitude. As I understand it it’s either parole eligibility in 25 years or in 50 years, with no options in between to reflect the individual circumstances of any given crimes. I can potentially see that inflexibility eventually ruled cruel and unusual. It would probably make more sense to allow a parole eligibility period of up to 50 years, or 75 years, as the number of convictions warrant.

With Justice Code openly musing about a lesser period of parole eligibility for Smich that I don’t think he can actually give without just making the sentences concurrent, I could see this being the case that gets appealed all the way up when Smich almost certainly gets sentenced consecutively.

If a constitutional challenge on consecutive life sentences with 25 year parole eligibility ever succeeds it’s likely to be based on the fact that a judge has no latitude. As I understand it it’s either parole eligibility in 25 years or in 50 years, with no options in between to reflect the individual circumstances of any given crimes. I can potentially see that inflexibility eventually ruled cruel and unusual. It would probably make more sense to allow a parole eligibility period of up to 50 years, or 75 years, as the number of convictions warrant.

With Justice Code openly musing about a lesser period of parole eligibility for Smich that I don’t think he can actually give without just making the sentences concurrent, I could see this being the case that gets appealed all the way up when Smich almost certainly gets sentenced consecutively.

Very good point when you look beyond these horrific crimes. And because Smich has been in the shadows of DM throughout this nightmare, and his involvement in the "actual" mechanics of the LB murder is nebulous, he may be a candidate for a hybrid parole eligibility. Although I would have no problem with a full consecutive.

DM knows that Code is not pondering anything less than 50.

MOO

Yeah, the cruel and unusual argument doesn't fly with me. It's cruel and unusual to take the lives of multiple people. The lawyers' arguments on behalf of the defendants rattled me beyond belief.

The crown did an excellent job yesterday. I hope Judge Code gets this right.

"“He is a good friend to insects, and actually accompanies spiders outside,” she wrote."

Is it me, or does this line sound like it came directly out of the mouth of DM? Did he not write about one of these spider encounters in his letters to CN? A tale worthy of the sycophant fox telling, IMO.

and this one by Pillay also sounds like a DM self assessment.

BBM

Pillay says Millard had an "advantaged childhood" and was "advanced beyond his years."
by Adam Carter 3:26 PM

MOO

Yeah, well lucky for spiders they don’t offer much of a “payday”.

I forgot Justice Code was involved with Karla's deal, that's twenty three years ago now, I bet he wishes he'd have that one back
Looking for info regarding his involvement with the deal...google is not playing nice with me. Pardon my ignorance but is anyone able to share some links :/ please.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Looking for info regarding his involvement with the deal...google is not playing nice with me. Pardon my ignorance but is anyone able to share some links :/ please.

Michael Code was a top bureaucrat in the Ontario Attorney General's office when the government struck its plea bargain with her.

I see matou has provided you a link to an article that mentions that fact.

Michael Code was a top bureaucrat in the Ontario Attorney General's office when the government struck its plea bargain with her.

I see matou has provided you a link to an article that mentions that fact.

Greatly appreciated to you both.
::sigh::
I would like to believe he doesn't make the same "mistake" twice. However, what are the chances of parole after 25yrs, with 2 first degree convictions?
Add DM into this...would hope not a chance in hell

Eta... in my opinion

Code was the Assistant Deputy Attorney General of Ontario under Marion Boyd in the NDP government of the time. He had a hand in various aspects of the case, including the original Project Green Ribbon and ultimately the overseeing of Homolka's deal. He was the author of a memo that calculated that had they had the tapes from the beginning Homolka's sentence might have been 14 to 15 years rather than the 12 years she ultimately got.

"“He is a good friend to insects, and actually accompanies spiders outside,” she wrote."

Is it me, or does this line sound like it came directly out of the mouth of DM? Did he not write about one of these spider encounters in his letters to CN? A tale worthy of the sycophant fox telling, IMO.

and this one by Pillay also sounds like a DM self assessment.

BBM

Pillay says Millard had an "advantaged childhood" and was "advanced beyond his years."
by Adam Carter 3:26 PM

MOO

straight from the Jodi Arias mitigation stage...

"She told jurors that she had been a victim of abuse as an adult and as a child. She showed several family photos from holidays and vacations. She claimed she was a gentle person who caught spiders in cups and took them outside rather than kill them. "

https://www.cnn.com/2013/05/21/justice/arizona-jodi-arias-trial/index.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tattvaspa895
Back