Laura Babcock Murder Trial - *GUILTY*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Ann Brocklehurst‏
@AnnB03
2m2 minutes ago
Smich's mother came early on. Stopped after she was filmed outside court, hit camera with her purse

@XXXXXX
Follow Follow XXXXXX
More
Replying to @AnnB03
Did either have family there at any point, other than Dellen’s uncle who was a witness?

Very special thoughts going out today for Laura’s mom and dad, and for her good, good friend, Shawn Lerner.

Rest in Peace, Laura … I hope you are dancing among the stars. Although Justice was a long time coming, the jurors got it right for you and your loved ones.

:rose:

If this world could replace DM's and MS's place in society with Shawn Lerner's, we all would be benefactors. I am very impressed with this young man's conviction to do the right thing. It's a name I will not forget, and should not.

Ann Brocklehurst‏
@AnnB03

Foreperson giving written recommendations to judge. 12 recommend consecutive, maximum Millard. 5 recommend for consec/ max for Smich, 7 have no recommendation for Smich

If there was any doubt about who the jury was debating for their verdicts, that recommendation should resolve it.

All 12 recommended consecutive for DM!

If this world could replace DM's and MS's place in society with Shawn Lerner's, we all would be benefactors. I am very impressed with this young man's conviction to do the right thing. It's a name I will not forget, and should not.

And just think how he lent her his ipad. He would have known that he might not get it back. I'm not sure that I would be so generous. But, he must be ever so thankful that he lent it to her, seeing how it became a key item of evidence which lead to the M1 convictions, especially for MS.

I always figured it had to be the lawyer who smuggled out the letters - who else would have it been? No prison guard would risk losing their job, and he could hardly hand over a stack of papers to his visitors.

I hope now that both trials are over, Paradkar will be charged with trying to change the course of justice (or whatever the charge may be), by trying to get recipients of the letters to perjure themselves to assist his client. IMO, he should lose his licence.

It's also been reported that DM sent a letter to one of his cousins. Although this may have been a regular letter rather than a smuggled one, IF it was the latter, and IF the cousin in question was one of RB's kids, then I can see him being irate (especially if letter came via his sister) and going to the police. I don't see the loyal SS, and certainly not the complicit CN, tipping off the police.

And just think how he lent her his ipad. He would have known that he might not get it back. I'm not sure that I would be so generous. But, he must be ever so thankful that he lent it to her, seeing how it became a key item of evidence which lead to the M1 convictions, especially for MS.

Very good point.

If there was any doubt about who the jury was debating for their verdicts, that recommendation should resolve it.

All 12 recommended consecutive for DM!

This may help MS get concurrent sentences. This difference in jury recommendations must be somehow reflected in the sentencing. The judge doesn't have that many means to do that.

So happy jury got it right. Let them rot in prison for at least 50 years now...... merry Christmas monsters.

I wonder why the pub ban on the letter story was lifted only now. What is the significance of this timing?

Wow, I just caught up with everything .

These verdicts are gratifying and satisfying. I hope that the Babcock's can have some closure now and get back to their normal lives, whatever normal is after you lose a child.

Rest in peace, Laura.

Is there anything in between a concurrent and consecutive sentence? In other words, could Smich get 35 years rather than 25 or 50? 5 jurors wanted consecutive and 7 had no recommendation, so that leans towards a lesser sentence than Millard.

M1 carries a mandatory 25 years without parole so the only discretion Justice Code has is consecutive or concurrent.

Even if he goes concurrent, I doubt either of these guys will ever be released.

Now that CN's involvement (letters) in these murders have concluded, I can't help but wonder why she kept them all? I keep wondering if her involvement was more than what has been exposed, and that her "note to self" about using such information for blackmail purposes was actually the reason.

Interesting that SS stated that MB hand delivered him his letters from DM. Deepak must have handed them to MB.

The law needs to deal with this lawyer who is a catalyst for drug activity in the GTA.
I could not agree more. I’m actually quite upset over this.

After reading the article, why on earth are LE and the LSUC protecting him! He could have and should have been charged. He should be disbarred. Seems like a little thing to some people maybe, they’re just letters, but he was trying to get people to change their testimony, potentially changing the results of a trial. Defense lawyers already get a bad rap for representing the clients they do, you really need to be of the highest ethical and moral standard to do the job. It puts into question every case he’s ever won. He just wants the win, he doesn’t care about putting a serial killer back on the streets. It’s appalling.

The LAUC must do something to uphold their integrity. Their inaction is criminal IMO. I may sound dramatic, but thIs is a really big deal.

Delete if not allowed but a few reactions for witnesses on social media.

Megan Orr just mentioned the verdict and had a photo of the two of them.

MM had something that said - Happy Day! Number Two! (Assuming this is about the verdict but who knows)

Thanks for posting these! I know there has been a lot of debate about MM, but her tweet reaction reinforces my view that she helped put these guys away.

Trevor Dunn‏
@trevorjdunn
47s47 seconds ago

Babcock's ex-boyfriend Shawn Lerner has arrived to court. Her mother hugs him.

Thank goodness for Shawn who never gave up. This has made me cry. Love for Laura is shining bright.

Wow...pretty close!!

This really is remarkable. The first time I got news on Websleuth of the verdict was a twitter post at exactly 11:59, and that is on the post, not just when I saw it.

Thank God the jurors decided on the right verdict. It sounds like at least 2 of them expressed verbal shock --- " What ? " and " Oh----- " when Judge Code announced that DM and MS had already been convicted of another M1 when they were tried for this case. I thought anyone who read a Toronto Paper would have known about Tim Bosma's murder, but it appears that was not the case with all the jurors. It seems that 7 of them may have had difficulty coming up with an M1 for Smitch, since 7 did not want to make any recommendations on sentencing. Again, all I can say is Thank God that justice prevailed ! I am glad that the Bosmas and the Babcocks do not have to come to court and see DM and MS again. I wonder if any of them will be there for the verdict in DM's father's murder case ?

I think Judge Code will go for consecutive sentences for both of them. IMO

I could not agree more. I’m actually quite upset over this.

After reading the article, why on earth are LE and the LSUC protecting him! He could have and should have been charged. He should be disbarred. Seems like a little thing to some people maybe, they’re just letters, but he was trying to get people to change their testimony, potentially changing the results of a trial. Defense lawyers already get a bad rap for representing the clients they do, you really need to be of the highest ethical and moral standard to do the job. It puts into question every case he’s ever won. He just wants the win, he doesn’t care about putting a serial killer back on the streets. It’s appalling.

The LAUC must do something to uphold their integrity. Their inaction is criminal IMO. I may sound dramatic, but thIs is a really big deal.

Grey-St, I couldn't agree more, it's a big thing. Even if it only makes a small dent in the overall problem. Deepak is denying his involvement, and at this time I can only see pressuring Rabbit for her source of letters delivered to SS as a possible way to have him charged. MOO

Delete if not allowed but a few reactions for witnesses on social media.

Megan Orr just mentioned the verdict and had a photo of the two of them.

MM had something that said - Happy Day! Number Two! (Assuming this is about the verdict but who knows)

Where did you see these?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tb3
Back