Legal Questions for our VERIFIED Lawyers #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
When Casey is found guilty, durning the penalty phase will Casey HAVE to tell us exactly what happened to save her own life? So is that when we might find out exactly what happened. Because I read somewhere that durning the penalty phase the defandant has to come clean...
and do you think she's probably the type of person that will never admit it no matter what...?

No. ICA never has to come clean. At post #581 there is an outline of how the penalty phase works :)

Can the defense continue to question every single witness as to why no one seemed to notice that ICA was 'mentally ill'? The defense dropped the two psychologists from their witness list. Is he not really claiming she is 'mentally ill' or is there a difference in claiming it and asking everyone why they didn't notice? Does that make sense?

I watched Dr. Drew's coverage of the case last night & thought he made a very interesting point. He was talking about how many times (too many to count) JB used the term "imaginary friends" during cross. Dr. Drew asked where do you draw the line between "imaginary friends" and out & out lying? This got me thinking maybe the SA should object to JB using this term, afterall he is not a psychologist or a psychiatrist. So was wondering if any of our fine legal team think that this is something that may come back to haunt the SA somewhere down the line, a little play on words can speak volumns in the legal world, is that what's happening here?

Thanks to all of you that are gracious enough to help us all understand the very complex world of legalities....you rock:rocker:

TIA!

I am curious as to why when Lee Anthony was testifying he was not allowed to repeat anything he heard Cindy Anthony say in the room/house the night they discovered Caylee missing. In court it was considered "here-say." Today I am watching coverage and Leonard Tutora from Universal Studios is repeating his recollection of what both Detetective Melich and Casey Anthony said while they tried to determine if she was an employee at Universal Studios. I am unclear as to why some testimony is considered "here-say" when it appears each instance I have referred to was heard first hand?

At some point in an investigation police/LE think “Hmmm I think this is foul play. I think I might have a crime here that has been committed. I think this person is a possible suspect.” The Police eventually do arrest the suspect. It is my understanding that AT THE TIME a person is arrested they are read their Miranda Rights. What is the states thinking behind Casey was not read her Miranda Rights soon enough? Are police required to read a person their Miranda Rights before they are arresting a person?

I watched Dr. Drew's coverage of the case last night & thought he made a very interesting point. He was talking about how many times (too many to count) JB used the term "imaginary friends" during cross. Dr. Drew asked where do you draw the line between "imaginary friends" and out & out lying? This got me thinking maybe the SA should object to JB using this term, afterall he is not a psychologist or a psychiatrist. So was wondering if any of our fine legal team think that this is something that may come back to haunt the SA somewhere down the line, a little play on words can speak volumns in the legal world, is that what's happening here?

Thanks to all of you that are gracious enough to help us all understand the very complex world of legalities....you rock:rocker:

TIA!
My prediction is, Baez' ridiculous exaggerations (such as the gas can being "almost a part of" George), unsupported claims (such as Casey's extensive sexual abuse/molestation or Kronk moving Caylee's body) and silly euphemisms (e.g. imaginary friends vs. manipulative lying) will be slammed by the prosecution in the final rebuttal at closing arguments. The closing arguments will go something like this.

Prosecution: Here are all the reasons why 1 + 1 = 2

Defense: Don't speculate that 1 + 1 = 2. Nobody knows whether 1 + 1 = 2. When you hold 1 + 1 up to a mirror, there are 4. Somebody might have taken 1 of the 4 leaving only 3. Add in George and Cindy and there are 5. Casey once told someone that she dreamed 1 + 1 = 7. We don't even know for sure that 1 = 1. So, it has not been proven and cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that 1 + 1 = 2.

Prosecution: Here are all the reasons why the defense argument makes no sense. You should return a verdict that 1 + 1 = 2.

Katprint
Always only my own opinions

Can the SA bring in the mental health experts who examined Casey that Jose Baez released from the defense witness list, be brought in to testify on behalf of the prosecution? If so, do you believe the SA will call them? (Sorry if this has been asked and answered.) Thank you!

Your opin on LA jail house tapes pertaining to JB. Is everything allowed here? Just afraid of any appeal. Thank you again .

One further note should JB have made a stipulation to not allow jurors to hear this part about him, otherwise he has no recourse?

I heard that the state is paying ICA defense, how is this possible and is it even true? He is not a public defender, so I am confused...thanks

One further note should JB have made a stipulation to not allow jurors to hear this part about him, otherwise he has no recourse?
HHJP set Dec. 31, 2010(I believe) for all motions, that would include motions to suppress jail house tapes. JB never filed any motions as to the tapes, so the Judge has ruled any objections now are untimely.

Can the defense continue to question every single witness as to why no one seemed to notice that ICA was 'mentally ill'? The defense dropped the two psychologists from their witness list. Is he not really claiming she is 'mentally ill' or is there a difference in claiming it and asking everyone why they didn't notice? Does that make sense?

He's not really claiming she was diagnosable with anything, just that she was mentally....off. It is OK to ask people if they noticed it.

I am curious as to why when Lee Anthony was testifying he was not allowed to repeat anything he heard Cindy Anthony say in the room/house the night they discovered Caylee missing. In court it was considered "here-say." Today I am watching coverage and Leonard Tutora from Universal Studios is repeating his recollection of what both Detetective Melich and Casey Anthony said while they tried to determine if she was an employee at Universal Studios. I am unclear as to why some testimony is considered "here-say" when it appears each instance I have referred to was heard first hand?

Hearsay is an out of court statement offered for the truth of the matter asserted, unless it falls within any one of about 30 exclusions and exceptions.

If Lee was repeating things Cindy said to show they were true, that would be inadmissible hearsay. If Leonard T was repeating things Melich and Casey said to explain what happened (how they got all the way to the end of the hallway), then that is not hearsay because he is not suggesting that the things they said were true. (E.g.: Melich: Who is your boss? (This is not the kind of statement that can be true or false.) Casey: Tom Manley. (Leonard T. would not be suggesting that this was a true statement--quite the opposite.))

At some point in an investigation police/LE think “Hmmm I think this is foul play. I think I might have a crime here that has been committed. I think this person is a possible suspect.” The Police eventually do arrest the suspect. It is my understanding that AT THE TIME a person is arrested they are read their Miranda Rights. What is the states thinking behind Casey was not read her Miranda Rights soon enough? Are police required to read a person their Miranda Rights before they are arresting a person?

There were numerous briefs and arguments in court on this issue months back. To summarize, in order for the State to be able to use your statements against you down the road, the police must read your Miranda rights if you are (1) "in custody" (which often happens long before what most people consider an "arrest"), and (2) being questioned. HHJP determined that she was not "in custody" when she was questioned, so Miranda warnings were unnecessary.

Can the SA bring in the mental health experts who examined Casey that Jose Baez released from the defense witness list, be brought in to testify on behalf of the prosecution? If so, do you believe the SA will call them? (Sorry if this has been asked and answered.) Thank you!

They could, I suppose. I have no idea what their opinions are or whether the SA listed them as witnesses.

Your opin on LA jail house tapes pertaining to JB. Is everything allowed here? Just afraid of any appeal. Thank you again .

You mean the part where LA and Casey talk about JB? I wouldn't worry about it. It is no big deal. Irrelevant, obviously, but JB didn't ask for any redactions in time for them to be done, and it isn't prejudicial enough to be a problem on appeal.

He should have objected and moved for redaction of the tape.

I heard that the state is paying ICA defense, how is this possible and is it even true? He is not a public defender, so I am confused...thanks

No one is paying JB any more. The State is paying Casey's COSTS (not attorneys' fees), because she has been found to be indigent (poor).

I think it's dangerous for the SA to continue to let Baez call all the people that KC made up as "imaginary" people. He's even got the witnesses calling them that. They are not imaginary - they are lies. Using the term imaginary to me puts KC too close to mental illness and could be used to prove the effects of her supposed sexual abuse. Do the lawyers here agree and if so, how can someone get the hint to the SA? I think when they put on the defense, the term "imaginary" is going to be used big time and in a devastating way.

The SA is not "letting" JB use this word. He is choosing to use the word, and there is nothing wrong with it--it is a good strategy on his part. The SA is totally aware of this strategy and will undoubtedly make the same point you are making in closing argument.

I am curious about the use of these tapes. Aren’t they much more punitive than probative? After all they have heard liar, liar pants of fire for days. Just wonder why Baez didn’t protest at the get go. If I were a juror I would be asleep by now.

I am curious about the use of these tapes. Aren’t they much more punitive than probative? After all they have heard liar, liar pants of fire for days. Just wonder why Baez didn’t protest at the get go. If I were a juror I would be asleep by now.

No,not asleep.They are completely riveted!

Can the SA bring in the jail tape when ICA suggests that the reward money for finding Caylee would bail her out of jail?
It was for the check arrest,but still discussing Caylee.

I think you mean more prejudicial than probative. But they are pretty probative. The SA is not trying to show that Casey is a liar generally--they are trying to show she lied, repeatedly and for a very very long time, ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED TO CAYLEE specifically.

No,not asleep.They are completely riveted!

Can the SA bring in the jail tape when ICA suggests that the reward money for finding Caylee would bail her out of jail?
It was for the check arrest,but still discussing Caylee.

I think they are playing all the jail visit videos.

Also, I think Casey was talking about her bail for child neglect, not for the checks.

Will the prosecution call the real Zenaida Gonzales?

Will the prosecution call the real Zenaida Gonzales?

Possibly the SA might call her to say that she looked at an apartment at Sawgrass, to explain to the jury where Casey might have gotten that idea. But IMO unless the SA has figured out how Casey actually got her name, and is confident that no one (e.g., R. Grund) plans to testify that Casey used the FULL name Zenaida Gonzales before June 2008, they will not complicate things with this testimony.

My question is this:

KC gets convicted, Can she get an appeal by lying and saying she was sexually mistreated by her lead attorney JB? It would pretty much be her word against his. I know it would not have happened in jail obviously but remember all those long days at his office when she was out on bail?

My question is this:

KC gets convicted, Can she get an appeal by lying and saying she was sexually mistreated by her lead attorney JB? It would pretty much be her word against his. I know it would not have happened in jail obviously but remember all those long days at his office when she was out on bail?
First ICA is going to have a hard time getting anyone to believe her on anything. Second, if she did allege sexual assault then criminal charges could be brought against JB. Also, the State Bar could sanction JB. I guess that could be included as part of inaffective assistance of counsel, but I don't see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ttaylor21318