Legendary Artist Prince Found Dead at 57 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be surprised if a will surfaces. Didn't he have numerous residences? Maybe more than one attorney? -Multiple banks? It may take a long time to sort through his estate- maybe there's a gag order on the press?

I too think he would have secured how his music would be released in his absence since he battled so hard to win ownership.

ETA: All his advisors, attorneys, etc. would have advised him to make a will. Imo.

I think the answer may lie in the Jehovah Witness beliefs that the world is going to end soon ( many times ends have been predicted). True Witnesses will be resurrected and go on to procreat a new world. Other Witnesses will live on but will not procreate.

The non Witnesses will not live on.

This info is from my hubby who grew up now and again in a Witness family. He knows of it from fifty years ago only and things may have changed.

But I do know they think that the world is ending soon. I think a lot of Witnesses leave their things to the church, Not sure. Maybe others know.

I don't think so. He spoke often in his interviews of what will happen when he "moves on from this experience"
I don't believe didn't have a will, he worked his hole career to gain control over his master recordings. Combine that with the vault and I have a had time believing he didn't have a plan in place.

I didn't mean it literally , but figuratively .
I have a hard time processing it as well and am hopeful one will turn up .
The only thing I can think is if he considered it a CONtract ...we know how he felt about that ...I have been reading slot of interviews with associates of his who say he was reluctant to sign anything ...

I think the answer may lie in the Jehovah Witness beliefs that the world is going to end soon ( many times ends have been predicted). True Witnesses will be resurrected and go on to procreat a new world. Other Witnesses will live on but will not procreate.

The non Witnesses will not live on.

This info is from my hubby who grew up now and again in a Witness family. He knows of it from fifty years ago only and things may have changed.

But I do know they think that the world is ending soon. I think a lot of Witnesses leave their things to the church, Not sure. Maybe others know.

That's exactly what I've been reading ...perhaps Larry Graham may pull something out of his hat ?

I wouldn't be surprised if a will surfaces. Didn't he have numerous residences? Maybe more than one attorney? -Multiple banks? It may take a long time to sort through his estate- maybe there's a gag order on the press?

I too think he would have secured how his music would be released in his absence since he battled so hard to win ownership.

ETA: All his advisors, attorneys, etc. would have advised him to make a will. Imo.

I also read that he was advised but would never act. Now there is talk of it may be in Canada? But I'm thinking , surely if it's in someone's possession they know he has passed ? Unless they are living in a cave somewhere ...

I didn't mean it literally , but figuratively .
I have a hard time processing it as well and am hopeful one will turn up .
The only thing I can think is if he considered it a CONtract ...we know how he felt about that ...I have been reading slot of interviews with associates of his who say he was reluctant to sign anything ...

Yes, I agree, his aversion to contracts is the only possible explanation. He either had a will or he had a strong reason for not having one. You would think we would hear about it either way.

Yes, I agree, his aversion to contracts is the only possible explanation. He either had a will or he had a strong reason for not having one. You would think we would hear about it either way.

I was reading an article ...wish I could remember where and they were saying tha there are no signed agreements with Prince ...your word is your contract, but I'd think a will could be an exception ....beats me !

Record breaker: a brief history of Prince's contractual controversies

The NPG years (including EMI, Arista, Columbia, Universal and back to Warner again) (1995-2014)

“…He set up NPG Records (the NPG standing for New Power Generation) to replace the now defunct Paisley Park Records. The Gold Experience (1995) came out on NPG/Warner, but also lived on when Prince finally broke with Warner and signed a series of one-off deals with most of Warner’s major label rivals. There was the tellingly titled Emancipation (with EMI) in 1996, Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic (with Arista) in 1996, The Rainbow Children (with Redline Entertainment, owned by Best Buy) in 1999, NEWS (with MP Media) in 2003, Musicology (with Columbia) in 2004, 3121 (with Universal) in 2006, Planet Earth (with Columbia again, more of which below) in 2007 and then both Art Official Age and Plectrum Electrum (reuniting him with Warner) in 2014. Phew. Plus there were a few albums on only NPG that makes his label history resemble an Escher drawing…”

http://www.theguardian.com/music/20...e-contractual-controversy-warner-paisley-park

I think Prince has signed a whole lot of music contracts over the years which makes the current lack of finding a will quite baffling. No doubt his musical estate is very complex – I wonder how his new deal with Warner Bros. fits into the picture now that there is no Prince.

The family is not going. Seems controversial.

http://www.startribune.com/private-...or-sunday-at-his-minnetonka-church/379413181/

"Prince’s sister, Tyka Nelson, took to Facebook on Friday to say that neither she nor her brother’s remains would be at the service on Sunday because “once is enough” and the family is working on a public “memorial/funeral/tribute” here in August. She said to expect “more updates soon.”

It is by invitation only, most likely for members of the Congregation. Certainly not that the family would not be welcome but like you say perhaps they are not fans of Jehovah Witnesses.

What remains would there be if he was cremated? Which is what I thought was done. Ashes I guess....?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/cele...-for-prince/ar-BBt1uBL?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCDHP

It is by invitation only, most likely for members of the Congregation. Certainly not that the family would not be welcome but like you say perhaps they are not fans of Jehovah Witnesses.

What remains would there be if he was cremated? Which is what I thought was done. Ashes I guess....?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/cele...-for-prince/ar-BBt1uBL?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCDHP

A friend of mine had her husband cremated per his wishes , at his memorial service his remains were present .
They are sealed inside is beautiful marble , rectangular container and she keeps it on her mantle to this day.
Apparently there are numerous different ways to keep the ashes.Im guessing this is what Tyka is referring to.

I hope you won't mind my lightening the tone - it isn't that I don 't feel this loss. I have had an on and off ache in the middle of my chest since the news came through on 21st (quite unexpected really as I was not a super fan). It goes away when I am in full denial mode and lost in watching the wonderful videos which people have posted, but it comes back. Always.

Anyway, I wanted to share this as it shows two fab performances and also Prince laughing and having a joke - he comes across as very funny and probably great company. I am not sure I have ever seen footage of him really letting go and laughing before (plenty of knowing grins/smirks of course :blushing:). It made me smile - hope it does you too (even if bittersweet)

[video=youtube;b9x427G_JO0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9x427G_JO0[/video]

I saw an interview with Prince, Chaka Khan and Larry Graham. I believe Tavis Smiley (sp?) was the host, not sure about the host part.

Prince discussed at length how there is nothing written for agreements he has entered into with artists and how one's word is sufficient. This might be the interview in which he said he "can't be played" and Larry Graham did the math about how much he could make on Prince's label vs a typical recording contract.

I think he truly believed in "no contracts", i.e., nothing in writing was his mode of operation. It wouldn't surprise me if there is in fact no will.

This might be interview I mentioned above, but it might not be. It's interesting either way.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pqyjwhFiQqg

Prince guitar to be auctioned in Beverly Hills

Derrik J. Lang 8:35 p.m. EDT May 14, 2016

Los Angeles — A bright yellow, uniquely shaped guitar used by Prince to perform such tunes as “Cream” and “Gett Off” is going up for auction.

Heritage Auctions is selling one of the late artist’s “yellow cloud” electric guitars beginning June 24 with an opening bid of $30,000. The guitar was one of several custom guitars Prince used in the 1980s and 1990s...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/en...ince-guitar-auctioned-beverly-hills/84391768/

I hope you won't mind my lightening the tone - it isn't that I don 't feel this loss. I have had an on and off ache in the middle of my chest since the news came through on 21st (quite unexpected really as I was not a super fan). It goes away when I am in full denial mode and lost in watching the wonderful videos which people have posted, but it comes back. Always.

Anyway, I wanted to share this as it shows two fab performances and also Prince laughing and having a joke - he comes across as very funny and probably great company. I am not sure I have ever seen footage of him really letting go and laughing before (plenty of knowing grins/smirks of course :blushing:). It made me smile - hope it does you too (even if bittersweet)

[video=youtube;b9x427G_JO0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9x427G_JO0[/video]

Here's Lenos attempt at pay back the next day...

https://youtu.be/wuqx1nZAsV0

I saw an interview with Prince, Chaka Khan and Larry Graham. I believe Tavis Smiley (sp?) was the host, not sure about the host part.

Prince discussed at length how there is nothing written for agreements he has entered into with artists and how one's word is sufficient. This might be the interview in which he said he "can't be played" and Larry Graham did the math about how much he could make on Prince's label vs a typical recording contract.

I think he truly believed in "no contracts", i.e., nothing in writing was his mode of operation. It wouldn't surprise me if there is in fact no will.

This might be interview I mentioned above, but it might not be. It's interesting either way.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pqyjwhFiQqg

Agreed...I've seen several interviews in which he talks of his aversion and mistrust in contrast .

I didn't see anything about a limo. :(

Between 12 mins 30 sec and 14 min 10 sec or so in the clip I posted, they show Jay Leno trying to prank Prince in retaliation for the chair phonecall. I thought that was the pay back cubbeegirl was referring to. There is a limousine containing Prince in the clip (his infectious laugh was one of the reasons I posted the clip :))

I was not that familiar wth Prince until after his death. He was a kick!! I have really enjoyed all the videos everyone has posted. Thank you!! Just so you really think I am crazy, I discovered Freddie Mercury last year and cried and cried reading several books about him. I wish I could have been more aware when I was a teen.

Between 12 mins 30 sec and 14 min 10 sec or so in the clip I posted, they show Jay Leno trying to prank Prince in retaliation for the chair phonecall. I thought that was the pay back cubbeegirl was referring to. There is a limousine containing Prince in the clip.

OMG, I just found it. He is so utterly adorable! I love his laugh. ❤️ I assume this is the take...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wuqx1nZAsV0&feature=youtu.be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member