Life for the West Memphis Three - Free After the Alford Plea

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think some people are going to be positively disappointed if Damien doesn't immediately go on some sort of murderous rampage.

I hope and pray, whether the 3 are guilty or not, that they can turn their lives around and make something positive out of their lives. It gives me a good feeling that Jason got his GED and 30+ hours of college. I'm glad Damien got his GED as well. I'm concerned about Jessie. He didn't admit to any further schooling since being incarcerated. Maybe he thought he wouldn't need it since he was never getting out of prison. But it's going to be very hard on him in the outside world with only a 9th grade education, felony arrest record, and being completely away from society for half his life.

snipped

Arkansas Gov. Mike Beebe
Beebe said he had no plans to pardon the recently freed West Memphis Three. He cited his policy of not considering pardon cases until sentences were completed. He said it was his understanding that the West Memphis Three still would serve up to 10 years of suspended sentences.

Beebe also said if new evidence were presented that pointed to a different killer, then he would reconsider the case.

http://www.thecitywire.com/index.php?q=node/17398

Here's a video of the actual moment the three were released. A lot of support there, it seems:
Actual moment WM3 were set free. Damien Echols leaves Craighead County Courthouse. - YouTube

I know they can't get a settlement but I still can't figure out if they would be able to make money from movie rights, book rights, etc. I think Damien wrote a book. I'd like to see some form of compensation.

Heart Breaking to watch that interview. I hope these three get some kind of compensation that will allow them to enjoy the rest of their lives. I'm so happy that justice was finally served.

Heart Breaking to watch that interview. I hope these three get some kind of compensation that will allow them to enjoy the rest of their lives. I'm so happy that justice was finally served.

I wish they'd get some kind of (much deserved) compensation, too, but IMO, that's part of why the State took the coward's way out... not only to save face, but to save the inevitable wheel barrel full of money they would have had to pay out.

Exactly!

I know that Damien and Jason boarded a plane for parts unknown to decompress. We have been told that they will surface again as they all three plan to work to prove themselves innocent. They just need a little "alone time" right now.

Jessie certainly enjoyed his party with his daddy and friends. The trip to Wal-mart was apparently fun, too! Did you see the pic of him in his new shades? Just wonderful!

I doubt that, with his IQ, Jessie could continue with formal education. I hope he can go to a trade school and learn a trade. I hope Jason finishes college, and I hope that Damien goes, too. University of Phoenix would be a good choice. I doubt he could be successful if he attended classes in the traditional manner - not because of him but those around him.

I did hear that at the party Damien was stumbling a bit because he's so used to having to walk in shackles that the lack of them caused him problems. I'm sure he'll get over that in a hurry, though! Maybe he'll try to be a writer. I've read his letters over the years and his book. He's good!

I wish they'd get some kind of (much deserved) compensation, too, but IMO, that's part of why the State took the coward's way out... not only to save face, but to save the inevitable wheel barrel full of money they would have had to pay out.

Me too. It seems only fair to pay DE and the others some kind of compensation for keeping them bars for 18 years (1 on death row no less) then to let them go without a nickel. Oh, I'm sorry, they did get a tiny stipend when they left jail (a dollar for every year or close to that).

I hope they can write a book or take part in a movie deal. I'd pay to see it.

Just my opinion only. Thank you.

Mel

Exactly!

I know that Damien and Jason boarded a plane for parts unknown to decompress. We have been told that they will surface again as they all three plan to work to prove themselves innocent. They just need a little "alone time" right now.

Jessie certainly enjoyed his party with his daddy and friends. The trip to Wal-mart was apparently fun, too! Did you see the pic of him in his new shades? Just wonderful!

I doubt that, with his IQ, Jessie could continue with formal education. I hope he can go to a trade school and learn a trade. I hope Jason finishes college, and I hope that Damien goes, too. University of Phoenix would be a good choice. I doubt he could be successful if he attended classes in the traditional manner - not because of him but those around him.

I did hear that at the party Damien was stumbling a bit because he's so used to having to walk in shackles that the lack of them caused him problems. I'm sure he'll get over that in a hurry, though! Maybe he'll try to be a writer. I've read his letters over the years and his book. He's good!

Well, that is interesting. Death row inmates don't wear restraints in their cells and Damien stated that he never left his cell. I am sure he walked around in there even though he didn't walk out to the enclosed yard to get exercise. Maybe he had to spend a lot of time restrained with "leathers" in the psychiatric infirmary? Maybe he was just drunk and lied?

Or maybe that didn't come from Damien at all. Maybe he just stumbled around a bit at the party because he hasn't had any alcohol in 18 years, and someone else surmised that it had something to do with being shackled, and that turned into a rumour, and lo and behold we're discussing it on a message board, as if it were important.

Well, that is interesting. Death row inmates don't wear restraints in their cells and Damien stated that he never left his cell. I am sure he walked around in there even though he didn't walk out to the enclosed yard to get exercise. Maybe he had to spend a lot of time restrained with "leathers" in the psychiatric infirmary? Maybe he was just drunk and lied?
(BBM)

Well, I'm not sure how much 'walking around' one can really accomplish within the confines of a prison cell. A couple of steps to the right, maybe, then a couple of steps to the left? Not exactly like a walk in the park.

Below is a video of Johnny Depp reading an excerpt from Damien Echols' diary, in which he discusses his prison cell.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQvNnukrchU&feature=related"]WM3 Rally - Johnny Depp - YouTube[/ame]

I'm so very happy for them... I was SO SHOCKED when I got online last night and saw that they had been released! FINALLY!

I wonder if they will head to France to spend time with Johnny Depp who has also been a huge supporter for many years.

I hope and pray, whether the 3 are guilty or not, that they can turn their lives around and make something positive out of their lives. It gives me a good feeling that Jason got his GED and 30+ hours of college. I'm glad Damien got his GED as well. I'm concerned about Jessie. He didn't admit to any further schooling since being incarcerated. Maybe he thought he wouldn't need it since he was never getting out of prison. But it's going to be very hard on him in the outside world with only a 9th grade education, felony arrest record, and being completely away from society for half his life.

I'm afraid it will be hardest on Jessie as well and believe if any re-offend it will be him... not in a murderous way but possibly drugs or alcohol. I think Jason has the best chance to come out ok as he seems to have a pretty good head on his shoulders. I hope I'm wrong but I believe there may be a tough road for Damien, being the most recognizable of the three he will deal with the negative reactions the most. As well as marriage is hard period and to get it just kind of thrown on you especially after their marriage was kind of built on his and Lorri's relationship of him being in prison and her fighting to get him out, they may have a very tough time in the near future. It's great they are out, but they will all have a tough time readjusting I'm sure.

I'm afraid it will be hardest on Jessie as well and believe if any re-offend it will be him... not in a murderous way but possibly drugs or alcohol. I think Jason has the best chance to come out ok as he seems to have a pretty good head on his shoulders. I hope I'm wrong but I believe there may be a tough road for Damien, being the most recognizable of the three he will deal with the negative reactions the most. As well as marriage is hard period and to get it just kind of thrown on you especially after their marriage was kind of built on his and Lorri's relationship of him being in prison and her fighting to get him out, they may have a very tough time in the near future. It's great they are out, but they will all have a tough time readjusting I'm sure.

I agree... I wouldn't be surprised if Jessie got into problems with Alcohol and Drugs and ended out back in jail... I said it to my dh last night when we were watching the videos on the release. He has the burden of being the main reason they were all in prison for 18 years. He seems to be feeling it now.

I agree also about Jason... he has pursued education in prison and seems the most grounded. He seems so positive and warm and loving. Hugging everyone and each of the guys... seeming to try to comfort Jessie.

I worry too about Damien... he has suffered so much for so long. He seems to be a sensitive, deep thinking person and I hope he can ease his way through this transition. 10 years of solitary confinement would seriously damage any person... he seems to have held up remarkably well, much in part because of his huge support system. I hope his marriage to Lorrie continues to be successful and that she can help him acclimatize to all the stimulus he is experiencing now... it would be so overwhelming.

God Bless them... and keep them healthy and happy and may the rest of their lives be good.

Channel 5 (?) street interview w/ Jason in Memphis - 3 overlapping parts:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC8IOX1Qnsw"]Baldwin Pt. 1.MOV - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26eQQoh3BAc"]Baldwin Pt. 2.MOV - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOnwxZMa_rE"]Baldwin Pt. 3.MOV - YouTube[/ame]

I am so happy for all three and hope with all my heart they get the financial and emotional support they need to make it through the adjustments they will go through. They do not deserve anything other than the best life has to offer and I am glad they are still young enough to enjoy all the rest of their lives.
I am so glad they plan to continue to fight to prove their innocence as I feel the state of AR owes them more than they can ever get back. No amount of money will ever give them back what was taken from them. the person or person's responsible for this crime have never paid for this crime and until they do the three little boys will never have their justice. The state of AR won't give those little ones justice but maybe Damien, Jason, and Jessie will in the end. Wouldn't that be something. I find it especially telling that the some nons are just full of snark and have to say make nasty comments and jabs rather than saying anything constructive.

I am so happy for all three and hope with all my heart they get the financial and emotional support they need to make it through the adjustments they will go through. They do not deserve anything other than the best life has to offer and I am glad they are still young enough to enjoy all the rest of their lives.
I am so glad they plan to continue to fight to prove their innocence as I feel the state of AR owes them more than they can ever get back. No amount of money will ever give them back what was taken from them. the person or person's responsible for this crime have never paid for this crime and until they do the three little boys will never have their justice. The state of AR won't give those little ones justice but maybe Damien, Jason, and Jessie will in the end. Wouldn't that be something. I find it especially telling that the some nons are just full of snark and have to say make nasty comments and jabs rather than saying anything constructive.
Well said!

Admittedly, I haven't followed the case avidly until recently, but what I have read and viewed leads me to believe in their innocence. Their release (and things like that video I just posted of Jason) just makes me feel GOOD. I don't know when the videos of them each thanking their supporters (while dressed in inmate whites) were filmed, but they all 3 seem so humble and grateful for all of the support given over the years.

There is so much support for these guys...financial and not, celebrity and not, legal professional and not...that IMO it would be quite a huge ruse they've managed to pull off, if they are not indeed innocent of these murders.

I hope that life goes well for them and that all of the truth will be uncovered, for justice for the little boys and their families, and for the 3's names to be completely cleared.

Unfortunately, the boys' lives can't be brought back, nor the 18 years be given back.

I hope that life goes well for them and that all of the truth will be uncovered, for justice for the little boys and their families, and for the 3's names to be completely cleared.

Unfortunately, the boys' lives can't be brought back, nor the 18 years be given back.

I apologize for this post as I don't think this is the proper one to be discussing this in, however, I wanted to comment on Cazzie's post.

IF the 3 are not guilty, and I'll be the first one to admit I'm sitting firmly on the fence, I feel they are going to have a TERRIBLE row to hoe in clearing their names. First, they have to find good, solid, credible evidence of someone else murdering those babies after 18 years. THEN and only then, they will have to go before the state/county and convince them to ADMIT they screwed up and continue to screw up where this case is concerned. They have to get the state to agree to REOPEN a closed case and admit wrongdoing. This will be no easy task by any means. I just don't feel confident the 3 will ever be exonerated. That mountain is far too steep and rocky to climb.

Again, I'm a certified fence sitter. This is why I'm studying this case and have been for about 10 years now. I'm an avid researcher and because I'm a little twisted, murder and mayhem are what I like to research. This is the ONLY case I've come across where I can't make a decision in my own mind on guilt or innocence, so ***sigh***, I'll continue to research until I feel I can confidently side with either the supporters or nons.

Cazzie, thanks so much for that interview!! That's exactly the kind of stuff I want to see. I absolutely cannot believe someone hasn't snagged a big interview yet (maybe they have and we just haven't seen it) - Dr. Drew, Piers Morgan, etc.

WHY why why isn't this bigger news??? I'm baffled by it.

He was often brought to the interview room. He talked to his lawyer. He talked to the media. He was moved from his cell fairly often. However, maybe he just stumbled. People do it all the time.

As for your remark about the psych infirmary, shame on you!

Please remember that the entire supporter movement will offer continuing support for all three.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neilyboy13
Back