Local 6 - DP motion just DENIED

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be very sad if the debate about the DP becomes so polarized (like "VOTE YES ON MEASURE 8") that people make up their minds on it like a campaign or election issue. As a voter, they would become polarized on a particular "side" of a political issue, maybe even based along political party lines!
I would worry that such polarization, despite the best voir dire possible, would carry into a jury deliberation room and the polarized jurors might decide a particular case consistent with their political vote instead of based on the law and facts of the particular case.

Interesting that you appreciate my view on the DP -- since I have never stated my view in the quote you copied or anywhere else on WS or the web.

My only point to 21Merc7 was that not all who were happy that the DP was not thrown out as a result of that motion would, if it came down to it, actually vote for it to be applied in this case.

I didn't state whether I would or would not vote for it in this case. I would never say so on a forum like this because in my view, assuming I was juror in this case, the heartfelt, reflective and weighty moment that would come only in a jury deliberation room, after going over the evidence and discussion with 11 other people bearing the same burden, would be so unique that I can't imagine it could be replicated in any online forum. Therefore, until that happens, I do not myself know how I would vote.

I respect those people we, as a society, task with actually making the rough decisions. We cannot walk the same mile in their shoes because all the uniqueness of it cannot be replicated. That was my point and I was not supporting or criticizing anyone in favor of or against the DP.

Nice avatar, by the way.

I apologize for misunderstanding your post Themis. Likewise, I don't know how I would vote myself without hearing all of the evidence and viewing it in light of the law. That will be for a jury to decide and ultimately Judge Strictland.

JMHO -

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

KC is toast and needs to consider backing off her bold face lies, she is defiant but that defiance just keeps on upping the odds. I am positive she has played this game with her parents and she has won every time. This will never be the case with the SA but the stakes could not be higher now.

With the Motion denied the State just called KC's bluff.

Reminds me of the black swan... She tried and thought she conquered... She didn't. Tough. :)

I'm personally against the DP, because I see it as legalised murder, and I think... where does it end?

But I'm also in favour of locking people up, or treating them - whichever case. Thing is, it's really difficult to pass sentence in a neutral situation, but if any of your loved ones were the victims, I think it would make a great difference.

BTW - I always wish everyone the best, and my simile was just that.

JMO

While I respect you and 21Merc7's (or anyones for that matter) views and opinions on the DP, I have to respectfully disagree with your view that those who support the DP, like myself, do not or have not looked at it seriously, as in a real-life scenerio, whereby one realizes that this is in fact a real human being's life we are talking about ending. I for one do get that and that is why I personally have no objections to Casey Anthony being afforded the opportunity to meet with her family members without the public's later access and viewing of those meetings. I have no objection to Casey Anthony having access to her legal counsel in an area that affords, both her and her the counsel, freedom from any fears and/or concerns of being listened in on or recorded by jail personnal. I for one am grateful that there are AL's in the world. Beyond all of the hoop-la over Casey's tears and the ongoing debates over whether they're real or not, what she was wearing, or how her hair was styled, instead I find myself hyperfocused on the words that are spoken by the DP attorney; the person charged with saving this individuals life; the person who must convince the court/a jury that there is something redeemable, or at the very least, a reason why this person should be allowed to live out their remaining life behind bars rather than be put to death. My own opinion is that Casey is responsible for Caylee's death on a capital murder level (vs. manslaughter...) and although I am glad that the DP is on the table, I am equally glad that we must hear the voices/words of those like AL's because death is final - the victims, whose life's were taken hastily or without any regard, remind us that it is a bell that cannot be unrung. JMHO -

May I applaud your post loudly? I mean it.

You said everything I was thinking and feeling, but you put it so much more eloquently. Thank you, sincerly.

Daniela

if i could turn back time i would hope that caylee could have many more days and nights living, laughing, giggles, sing her songs, her compassion evident as she asked poppa are you tired.?

i fear that is death penalty comes to be - the anthony family will be a tragic series of events. cindy, george and lee and her grandparents will live the pain,and casey will be gone too. please - let the truth come out and if guilty do not put her to death. maybe not a popular thing to say or think but caseys mom and dad suffered more than her already i feel. i always remember her why do people kill people who kill people? hope she is innocent but fear she is not. i soooo want to believe she is not the killer but its soooooo hard to do . please casey tell us one thing of truth- if accident . how can you live day to day if innocent and how can you live day to day if guilty? i would want to die in my heart every day either way.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4enDdqwNXTE[/ame] click on the words you tube kyle thomas one more night from memorial service caylee. if they play this at trial there will not be a dry eye- most powerful song and incredible singer!!!!KYLE THOMAS- CLICK ON WORD YOU TUBE AND IT WILL PLAY!!!

When I began reading this thread I was initially feeling somewhat pleased that justice was protected from being subverted, yet again. Pleased that the Law, tempered with common sense, prevailed over the spinning and deceit that passes for a defense, these days. Pleased that those who employ these tactics were not pleased. As I read on, though, I found myself deeply saddened on the verge of tears, - it took me a few moments to realize just why. It has to do with what is passing as a definition of "justice". The mentality has been that justice will be served by the death or mortal incarceration of Casey Anthony. I, too, felt this way. Now, I do not. While, in the absence of justice, either of the above cases must suffice, neither of them are "justice", - they are retribution and punishment. Justice would come by way of her mother's confession. A life's incarceration isn't adequate punishment for the harm she inflicted upon her own child, therefore, no actual justice. Her life taken cannot begin to equal the life she took, - again, no justice. Hopefully, she will confess. If not, as a society, we will have to settle for retribution and punishment without justice. I truly hope and pray for justice first because, of all things Caylee deserves, I think she deserves this most of all.

I seldom comment, being satisfied to watch others puzzle the pieces together, and gleen the gems from within the debates of which I could offer little. But, in this, I felt moved to do so. My sons and I have had to endure nearly a decade on our own without their mother, my wife. Suffice it that many of the "traits" of Casey could have been attributed to their mother, - and were. I had enough foresight and time to gather enough evidence to protect them and keep them safe all this time. She died a couple of months ago, a victim of her choices and personal demons at 35. But, the immense harm she continually caused everyone around her to endure was not assuaged by her death. It was simply an end, a punishment for her chosen way to live and her personal progression toward destruction, -there was no justice found in it.

*Moderators, should any of the above, in part or entirety, be considered unproductive, off-topic, self-serving, preaching, or offensive, please delete as considered appropriate.

When I began reading this thread I was initially feeling somewhat pleased that justice was protected from being subverted, yet again. Pleased that the Law, tempered with common sense, prevailed over the spinning and deceit that passes for a defense, these days. Pleased that those who employ these tactics were not pleased. As I read on, though, I found myself deeply saddened on the verge of tears, - it took me a few moments to realize just why. It has to do with what is passing as a definition of "justice". The mentality has been that justice will be served by the death or mortal incarceration of Casey Anthony. I, too, felt this way. Now, I do not. While, in the absence of justice, either of the above cases must suffice, neither of them are "justice", - they are retribution and punishment. Justice would come by way of her mother's confession. A life's incarceration isn't adequate punishment for the harm she inflicted upon her own child, therefore, no actual justice. Her life taken cannot begin to equal the life she took, - again, no justice. Hopefully, she will confess. If not, as a society, we will have to settle for retribution and punishment without justice. I truly hope and pray for justice first because, of all things Caylee deserves, I think she deserves this most of all.

I seldom comment, being satisfied to watch others puzzle the pieces together, and gleen the gems from within the debates of which I could offer little. But, in this, I felt moved to do so. My sons and I have had to endure nearly a decade on our own without their mother, my wife. Suffice it that many of the "traits" of Casey could have been attributed to their mother, - and were. I had enough foresight and time to gather enough evidence to protect them and keep them safe all this time. She died a couple of months ago, a victim of her choices and personal demons at 35. But, the immense harm she continually caused everyone around her to endure was not assuaged by her death. It was simply an end, a punishment for her chosen way to live and her personal progression toward destruction, -there was no justice found in it.

*Moderators, should any of the above, in part or entirety, be considered unproductive, off-topic, self-serving, preaching, or offensive, please delete as considered appropriate.

(i don't want a single comma of this removed. llc3guys found the heart of the matter. no one ever wins in cases like these.)
That was no soft battle you waged to protect your sons. May I stand beside you in a moment of silence and recognize the profound nature of what you learned in life. It is my honor.

I am glad to see that the DP was left on the table in this case. I completely agree with the Judges decision on this issue. If the Judge did grant this motion it would begin to set a precedent that would remove the prosecutions discretion in pursuing the DP. It would also leave the penalty phase in Florida and other states as a moot point if the decision to sentence the DP is carried out before the actual trial. By granting the motion the Judge would have opened up a Pandora's box full of legal problems. Can't blame the defense though for wishing on a star so to speak.

All that being said I personally am for the DP. It is something I don't take lightly though and it is something that in my opinion should be reserved for crimes so heinous that no other penalty fits the crime. Take for example of former DP sentenced inmate in Florida. Mr. Ted Bundy. In his own words. "You are going to kill me, and that will protect society from me."

Yes being that Ted was a prolific serial killer he is an extreme case but I think his case is a perfect example of an individual who is so beyond rehabilitation that he should never be allowed to breath free air. A life sentence did not fit his crimes and I believe Mr. Bundy would have created a new life for himself on the inside. The only punishment that fit is the DP in my opinion. Have gave up the names of other victims in an effort to acquire a life sentence. The only sentence he was afraid of was the DP.

I'm personally against the DP, because I see it as legalised murder, and I think... where does it end?

But I'm also in favour of locking people up, or treating them - whichever case. Thing is, it's really difficult to pass sentence in a neutral situation, but if any of your loved ones were the victims, I think it would make a great difference.

BTW - I always wish everyone the best, and my simile was just that.

JMO

BBM. I was too, until Caylee. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members