Found Deceased MA - Achim Bailey, 23, told parents he was going to a bar, Springfield, Hampden County, 11 Jan 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
IMO, It should be helpful to police to see who he communicated with last. Maybe it will indicate if he was meeting up with / getting a ride with someone. Glad that the phone is functioning, and wasn't smashed, as in some other similar cases. Do volunteer searchers wear gloves? Are they usually trained to handle found objects so as to preserve fingerprints and DNA? It's possible someone other than Achim handled his phone. I'm a bit surprised the volunteer turned it on rather than bagging it and giving it directly to LE. I wonder if that was due to lack of training, due to mistrust of LE, or due to something else. In the Joey LaBute search, I think I recall reading that volunteer searchers were trained in collecting found objects so as to preserve any potential evidence. MOO.
Other than LE involved in these searches for Achim, all the rest of these films are just family, friends, or regular citizens... none of which are at all trained in proper search and rescue and recovery. I highly doubt the west gloves or carry evidence marks or bags.

This kid that found that phone could have picked it up enough his hand in his sleeve or something to prevent adding additional prints. He also turned the phone on to be nosey.

If I read correctly, it’s an iPhone, right? NO WAY would an iPhone hold power for 12days, even if turned completely off. There’s a reason iPhone users (myself included) grump about the awful battery life of iPhones. I’m not saying that dude that found it is guilty of anything. But, someone placed that iPhone there not long before it was found. Had to have. Unreal. I wonder if there’s camera footage in that area, just to see if they see anyone leaving something there? All JMO, of course.

Phone Finder Dude's story is hinky on so many levels. If PFD planted the phone so he could find it, what would be his reason for doing so? If the phone were thrown in the river, that would point to a tragic accident. Is he trying to lead LE in a different direction? Why? Why connect yourself to Achim's disappearance if you're guilty of something? He could be innocent but know something and have developed a conscience, but that seems risky to stick your neck out like that if you know something. Maybe LE is closing in on someone else as being guilty of something, and PFD was hired to plant evidence in the opposite direction.
MOO

Wow! His story is very suspicious and he may be totally innocent, but really, why would he go four hours before the search started? An hour and a half before daylight? Maybe he was doing somebody else a favor. Anyway, I'm sure LE is all over it. And him too. It'll move the case along, I think.

If PFD is innocent, he is just the worst at making his case as so. lol Seriously, he’s stepped into it hip deep. I’m sure he’s going to be getting a lot of attention from LE. I feel like something isn’t right. If he really did just find the phone, it was recently left there.

What I keep thinking is this: how was that phone charged? I’ve owned several iPhones. The batteries do NOT hold up well for 24hrs, let alone 12 days! Not even if in airplane mode and turned off. Soooo....who was charging his phone??? Did it connect with their WiFi during that time? Very interesting.....;)

LE needs to be checking the “health” app (heart icon) on that iPhone!!! When I first discovered that app on my iPhone I was totally freaked out. It actually records how many steps you take at what time per day. If that phone was truly on the tracks for 12 days that app will know! It’s a factory app, so if the history is deleted that is very telling too!! There’s also the “significant locations” app within the system settings that logs your location. Both have to be manually deleted or turned off!!

LE needs to be checking the “health” app (heart icon) on that iPhone!!! When I first discovered that app on my iPhone I was totally freaked out. It actually records how many steps you take at what time per day. If that phone was truly on the tracks for 12 days that app will know! It’s a factory app, so if the history is deleted that is very telling too!! There’s also the “significant locations” app within the system settings that logs your location. Both have to be manually deleted or turned off!!

Ooh...that’s a great idea with the health app. I’m not as familiar w/the significant locations. I don’t like accidentally posting where I am on social media, so I keep my location disabled. If I want it, I can turn it on. I turn it on when I use Google maps, for instance. Idk how iPhones track locations if you have it off. Perhaps. they still do. Really great ideas, @Miigo!

Since the Turtleboy links are being modsnipped, here are the direct links to the MSM and official FB pages regarding the phone saga to fill anyone in on what is going on.

The first is info as reported by WesternMassNews journalist James Villalobos (this is official page):
James Villalobos

If you continue with his posts after the above, you'll get a handful of further updates. The latest is DP will be doing a FB Live with James.

Next is the FIND ACHIM fb page post on the phone:
FIND ACHIM and the few after that. DP's comments have been deleted (by him I assume).

James has more video of Achim but has removed them from his page. I had linked one last night in which Achim is shown walking across the frame, with someone that looks like DP following behind him.

DP has deleted posts and changed his FB to private since being quoted/named in the press and shown on the news. We don't know how LE consider him right now. If you want to do your own sleuthing on this, sceenshots etc are available online by googling his name with "achim".

I follow turtleboy. Good to know links aren't allowed here....

So it looks like Achim likely met foul play. Maybe while being robbed? Just think, if he hadn't been thrown out of the bar, he likely wouldn't have put in that situation....

I hope they are able to find him soon

I just watched the whole thing. Whew! I can’t tell whether DP is telling the truth or not, but I’ll bet people who know him can tell. He says he’s never been to a bar (any bar) and he was carrying a Bible when he found the phone, but he’s not religious.

Okay, body language experts, let’s hear it!

I just watched the whole thing. Whew! I can’t tell whether DP is telling the truth or not, but I’ll bet people who know him can tell. He says he’s never been to a bar (any bar) and he was carrying a Bible when he found the phone, but he’s not religious.

Okay, body language experts, let’s hear it!
And I'll bet he was praying to the virgin Mary when he found the phone. I don't believe he found Achim's phone, that phone would be dead laying out there for 14 days.

IMO there’s so little to do in Springfield that I find it hard to believe the phone finder has never been to any bar (I’m as straight and narrow as they come and I’ve been to many a bar in my life). MOO, but to stretch the truth there makes me wonder just how far he’s stretching it in general...

Has there been any evidence of foul play? I know it's not often that this happens, but could he have left on his own?
None that I've seen. Other than Phone Finder Dude keeps saying he's deceased. I think he accidentally said it once and from then on kept saying it in the interview so that it wouldn't look like he slipped up the first time.

I haven't seen anybody hint at any reason he may have left on his own. But stranger things have happened I guess.

still no confirmation that it was actually achim's phone right?
I believe only DP has claimed it was Achim's based on the message notifications etc he saw on the home screen. LE has not confirmed.

Could cellphone found near bridge belong to Achim Bailey? Father of Springfield man missing for nearly 2 weeks is hopeful

Just before the police arrived, one of the volunteers found a cellphone in the gravel strip between the rail lines just south of the South End Bridge.

The man who found it said that when he powered up the phone, a black iPhone, it immediately flashed with several text message alerts addressed to Achim Bailey. The phone was put in a plastic bag, and eventually turned over to the police.

A reporter with The Republican did not get a chance to see any of the text messages on the phone.

Walsh confirmed police had custody of the phone and said detectives are working to see if it is Achim Bailey’s.

Hugh Bailey said he was hopeful about the phone but that he didn’t know what to make of it. He was holding off judgment “until I talk to the detectives,” he said. “We’re just waiting to hear.”

None that I've seen. Other than Phone Finder Dude keeps saying he's deceased. I think he accidentally said it once and from then on kept saying it in the interview so that it wouldn't look like he slipped up the first time.

I haven't seen anybody hint at any reason he may have left on his own. But stranger things have happened I guess.

Yeah he has been talking about him like he is dead since the start. It will be kind of exciting if he turns out to NOT be involved simply because it would provide a rare example of when people act super sketchy and involved due to innocuous personality quirks.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clue22349
Back