MA - Alleged Serial Rapist, Attorney Matthew Nilo, 35, Arrested Due To Genetic Genealogy, 2023 June 1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I worked with this man. No indication at all that he could be an evil person. It’s all just too shocking,
That so wild to me! Especially when it seems to be a lot of people’s reaction (the ones who knew/knew of him.) It makes me think of how many people could be out living a complete double life like this. I want to know but don’t at the same time.

May I ask when/what state you worked with him in?

From your link ... I'm curious how this will play out. More and more cases are being solved using round-about DNA collection and analysis, but is it legal ...

"Boston police said new advances in DNA technology and genealogy were key to solving her case and those of the other survivors. Attorney Joseph Cataldo is defending Nilo and challenges the method authorities used to get his client's DNA sample.

"The courts will eventually rule on this issue of stealing somebody's DNA, analyzing it without a warrant, and I think in this case they will rule that it was unconstitutionally seized," Cataldo said."
Of course his defense attorney will challenge the DNA evidence. It's incredibly damaging.
He's toast in my opinion. He is guilty. DNA proves it.

Regarding 'round-about DNA collection', they usually pick up something discarded and that has been proven as legal. If you discard it, it isn't private anymore.

If you don't like it...don't do the crime, and definitely don't throw away your DNA in public.

We don't truly know who people are inside, do we?
Think of all of the spouses (or in this case, fiances) or parents who cannot fathom that their partner/child is a predator. But it happens.
So true. Remind me again why a fiancé of a week would be like, “nope, judge take my hundreds of thousands of dollars this moment, I don’t believe in dna proof or how many serious sexual assault/battery charges you have on him. He’s totally a changed man that was like 15 years ago.” I’d bring my rosary too I think.
MOO.

Last edited:
So true. Remind me again why a fiancé of a week would be like, “nope, judge take my hundreds of thousands of dollars this moment, I don’t believe in dna proof or how many serious sexual assault/battery charges you have on him. He’s totally a changed man that was like 15 years ago.” I’d bring my rosary too I think.
MOO.
This guy is dunzo, assuming he gets jurors who believe in science. I believe in science. I also have a rosary in my purse at all times and take solace in the occasional novena. He needs approximately one zillion novenas and I doubt it will make any difference. Philip Markoff’s fiancé’s parents intervened with her, they guided her toward truth, she went to med school out of the country and got away from the issue, and she’s now under the radar (good for her. She deserves that) and believed to be a successful physician in the US. If I’m the parents of this fiancé, I am looking for an answer and outcome like that. I hope they find one. My heart hurts watching that woman. Science is clear - and denial is strong.

Here is an interesting detail about the North End attacks I hadn't seen before:

Assistant District Attorney Lynn Feigenbaum said that after each attack, Nilo fled towards Commercial Street in the North End, which is where he lived at the time. His home was less than half a mile from all of the North End assault scenes, which happened on Charter Street, Copps Hill Terrace, and Foster Street.

Source: Boston serial rape suspect charged in North End assaults

His decision to use his car as part of his MO may come back to haunt him:

Prosecutors also revealed surveillance video from 2008 that shows a blue sedan in the area prior to one of the assaults.

“This vehicle can be identified on surveillance video as a Honda Accord, 1994-1997,” said Lynn Feigenbaum, assistant district attorney. “At the time of the assault, a blue Honda Accord was registered to the defendant.”

Source: Lawyer previously charged for sexual assaults in Charlestown arraigned on charges for similar assaults in North End - Boston News, Weather, Sports | WHDH 7News

His decision to use his car as part of his MO may come back to haunt him:

Prosecutors also revealed surveillance video from 2008 that shows a blue sedan in the area prior to one of the assaults.

“This vehicle can be identified on surveillance video as a Honda Accord, 1994-1997,” said Lynn Feigenbaum, assistant district attorney. “At the time of the assault, a blue Honda Accord was registered to the defendant.”

Source: Lawyer previously charged for sexual assaults in Charlestown arraigned on charges for similar assaults in North End - Boston News, Weather, Sports | WHDH 7News

From your link :rolleyes:

Prosecutors say DNA evidence links Nilo to the attacks. His attorney, Joseph Cataldo, has been questioning the legality of how the DNA evidence was obtained ever since his client was brought up on the first set of charges.

“We will be filing a motion to suppress the illegal seizure of his DNA, which was clearly done without a warrant – we have now figured that out,” Cataldo said while walking out of court. “I have not received any discovery on the new charges – we’ll be reviewing that.”

That so wild to me! Especially when it seems to be a lot of people’s reaction (the ones who knew/knew of him.) It makes me think of how many people could be out living a complete double life like this. I want to know but don’t at the same time.

May I ask when/what state you worked with him in?
In NYC. Genuinely one of the nicest coworkers I’ve had.

The thing that shocks me the most about this case, besides the clean-cut, upper-crust appearance of the perpetrator, is his age at the time of the crimes.

At 19/20 we are barely fully formed individuals. Sure, we start living independent lives and are legally responsible for our actions- but most of us are still uncomfortable with adulthood.

What this dude pulled off- his MO, then laying low for 15 years, achieving professional success- is extremely advanced stuff. I am completely baffled by it. We're not talking some 30 year old suburban father who lives a double life. I really want to know what his background is. A criminologist would have a field day with him. What sort of 19 year old thinks about doing these horrific things to strangers instead of going on normal dates? And arguably a handsome fella to boot.

Is his brain completely warped i.e. nature? Or was he exposed to something growing up that triggered him i.e. nurture?

I want justice for the victims. And I want to understand what this guy is about.

HI friends, with the original 5 charges , 4 more and very possibly more how much time is this guy facing? Your best guess.ThanksView attachment 435283
Hi, the rainn.org site has a good document detailing the sentencing guidelines for rape, incest, etc. in massachusetts.

It’s not entirely clear to me, whether or not the gun that was discussed, would actually be considered a gun in the the use of the assault. If it is considered part of it, the sentences are much longer.

In my opinion, rapists do not get as much prison time as they should.
Moo.

Kelly Nolan went missing/murdered on June 23rd 2007 FROM downtown UW Madison and I am following this man to a tee.

Oh you better believe I called the detective, Joel Peterson, who is working on her case (I am relentless about getting this case solved). He told me that they were appropriately notified of “Mr.Nilo” prior to it coming out in the media. Madison police department is now working with Boston police currently. It’s the first time that there has been a significant possible suspect. Her body was found 16 years ago today.
I came here to comment this!!! I lived in Madison for years and wrote about Kelly multiple times online. Thanks for commenting and for telling Peterson!

I also decided to look up sexual assault cases in San Francisco during the time NM was a student at the University of San Francisco School of Law. I don't know exactly where he was living in SF at that time, but there are a few cases that sound very similar to the attacks in Boston, but one in particular caught my eye:

July 30, 2013: A woman was approached by an unknown man in a vehicle while she was walking near California Street and 30th Avenue [NOTE: this location is roughly a 10-minute drive from USF Law School]. The man struck up a conversation with her and asked for directions to the Legion of Honor and asked her to get in the car with him so she could show him the way. He then drove her to the dead end of El Camino Del Mar and sexually assaulted her after locking the car doors. The woman described the suspect as white, 25 to 28 years old, about 5-foot-8 and 170 pounds with a wide nose. The sketch of the suspect based on the woman's description of her attacker looks similar to older photos of MN (side-by-side comparison below).
View attachment 434516View attachment 434517
Sketch of San Francisco rape suspect (left); Photo of Matthew Nilo circa 2007-2008 (right, from WCVB)
WOW!

On June 23rd 2007, this shows you how close Matthew Nilo’s apartment (716 w dayton) was to Kelly Nolan’s apartment (434 w mifflin)downtown Madison, WI.

I did post this under her thread a while back but just wanted it to show people who are following Matthew Nilo’s case (tomorrow’s a big day!) to attention here:View attachment 434341
Oh. My. God. I lived right next door to this guy. Thankfully by a separation of a few years. Wow.

I decided to dig through the newspaper archives and see if there were any other rapes or sexual assaults committed in Madison during the time he was a student there (his LinkedIn profile has been deleted, but he was listed as having attend UW-Madison from 2006-2010) that match his MO. I found 5 cases that match MN's MO (victim profile, time, and proximity to his apartment) that, to my knowledge, have not been solved:

- September 4, 2006: Shortly before 3 a.m., a 23-year old woman was attacked by two men in the 500 block of University Avenue in Madison [NOTE: this is a 2-minute walk from the address MN was living at in 2007]. She said that the two men raped her between two dumpsters. While the rape was taking place, two additional men tried to join in the attack. One of the two attackers was described as white, in his early 20s, 5-foot-8 with an average build. He was wearing square glasses and had a tattoo on his right arm. [NOTE: This attack happened 2 days before classes started at UW-Madison in 2006]

- November 30, 2007: A UW-Madison student was sexually assaulted in Ogg Hall [NOTE: this is a 3-minute walk from the address MN was living at in 2007] after she encountered a man in a stairwell and followed him to a dorm room. She ultimately declined to press charges because she couldn't remember what exactly happened.

- October 12, 2008: A 20-year-old woman was sexually assaulted in the 400 block of North Henry Street [NOTE: this is a 10-minute walk from MN's address in 2007] at around 2:10 a.m. The man, described a 5-foot-6 with a medium build, approached her in a dark alley.

- August 30, 2009: A woman in her 20s was found disoriented and partially clothed on the West Beltline near Gammon Road in the early morning hours. She had been assaulted. The woman had been in the Downtown area earlier that night.

- May 1, 2010: A 19-year-old woman reported that she was sexually assaulted in the basement of a home on Mifflin Street. At the time, police said a person of interest was being interviewed but I could find no records of an arrest being made in the case.
Those don't really fit with the timeline
However, lots of women of course don't even bother to report because our justice system is often a joke regarding sexual offenses.
A grand jury indicted Nilo on counts of rape, aggravated rape, assault with intent to rape, and indecent assault and battery relating to five sexual assaults that took place in that historic neighborhood, from January 2007 through July 2008. One of the victims was attacked twice in January 2008, 11 days apart.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelikaBor
Back