Still Missing MA - Ana Walshe, 39, allegedly left home, may have been dismembered, Cohasset, Jan 2023 *husband indicted* #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
January 1:

• How long before a body starts to smell?
  • How to stop a body from decomposing.
  • Ten ways to dispose of a dead body if you really need to
  • How long for someone to be missing to inherit.
  • Can you throw away body parts?
  • What does formaldehyde do?
  • How long does DNA last?
  • Can identification be made on partial remains?
  • Dismemberment and the best ways to dispose of a body.
  • How to clean blood from wooden floor.
  • Luminol to detect blood.
  • What happens when you put body parts in ammonia?
January 2:

• Hacksaw best tool to dismember.
  • Can you be charged with murder without a body?
  • Can you identify a body with broken teeth?
January 3:

• What happens to hair on a dead body?
  • What is the rate of decomposition of a body found in a plastic bag compared to on a surface in the woods?
  • Can baking soda mask or make a body smell good?
From Here

“Can you throw away body parts?”-because that should be the crime you are concerned with at that point in time, whether you can throw body parts away. WTH?!?!

TRANSCRIPTION OF ARRAIGNMENT ON NEW CHARGE OF MURDER

18TH JANUARY.
Part 1.

Court Clerk - Mr. Walshe, on complaint 230318 you are charged on the 1st day of January, 2023, with assault to beat Ana Walshe with intent to murder that person. You're also charged with ?? of a body without lawful authority. Did wilfully dig up or remove human remains. Not guilty pleas will be entered.

DA - The defendant is now before the court charged with murder of his wife, Ana Walshe, as as well as ?? of a body. Ana was 39 yrs. old and mother of 3 children, 2, 4 and 6. Ana worked in Washington, DC., splitting her time weekdays, between DC during the week and staying in her house in Cohasset, where she lived with the defendant and their 3 kids.

On January 4th, 2023, Cohasset Police received a call from her Washington DC employer, indicating that she was missing. She was due to report to work on January 4th, but did not appear. She had a flight on January 3rd., from Logan to DC, which she did not board. Cohasset Police went to their house at Chief Justice, Cushing Hwy. for a well being check. It was only, at this time, when they met with the defendant that he first reported his wife missing. Defendant stated his wife left the house at approximately 6:00 a.m. on January 1st., New Year's Day. He stated she took an Uber or lift to go to the airport, that she was travelling to DC for work. Records were checked and there were no Uber or lifts to that house on January 1st. Defendant said he had not spoken to his wife since the early morning hours on New Year's Day.

Cohasset Police were granted permission to ring on his phone to locate her or her phone. Ana's phone indicated that it was stationary, in the area of the Cohasset house on New Year's Eve until 3:14 a.m., on January 2nd. There were no outgoing made at that time and at 3:14 a.m., on the 2nd., it was turned off. Defendant stated Ana should have been wearing a dress, a black jacket, Hunter boots, watch, ring as well as carrying a Prada purse. Defendant gave a time of 6:00 or 6:10 a.m. on the 1st. when he last saw her.

What I'd like to do now is just describe his actions on the days from January 1st. Defendant indicated on January 1st., at 3 p.m., he did some errands at went to his mother's house in Swampscott, but got lost because he didn't have his phone. He said he knew he was lost when he saw the pirate ship on Route 1. Defendant stayed 15 mins., then went to Wholefoods and CVS. Surveillance was checked and he did not enter either of those stores. On January 1st., defendant googled, using his son's iPad. Some of his searches are as follows (keep in mind that the defendant said he (I think she meant to say she) left at 6:00 a.m.:

January 1st.
  • 4:55 a.m. 'How long before a body starts to smell?'
  • 4:58 a.m. 'How to stop a body from decomposing?'
  • 5:20 a.m. 'How to mound a body?'
  • 5:47 a.m. '10 ways to dispose of a dead body if you really need to'
  • 6:25 a.m. 'How long for someone to be missing to inherit?'
  • 6:34 a.m. 'Can you throw away body parts?
  • 9:29 a.m. 'What does formaldehyde do?
  • 9:34 a.m. 'How long does DNA last?'
  • 9:59 a.m. 'Can identification be made on partial remains?'
  • 11:34 a.m. 'Dismemberment and the best ways to dispose of a body?'
  • 11:44 a.m. 'How to clean blood from wooden floor?'
  • 11:56 a.m. 'Luminol to detect blood'
  • 1.08 p.m. 'What happens when you put body parts in ammonia?'
  • 1:21 p.m. 'Is it better to throw crime scene clothes away or wash them?'
Those were on January 1st. There was also information gained from the defendants phone which showed on January 2nd., he was at HomeGoods in Norwell where he purchased 3 rugs.

Last edited:

18TH JANUARY.
Part 2.

There was also more Google searches.

January 2nd.
  • 12:45 p.m. 'Hacksaw best tool to dismember?'
  • 1:10 p.m. 'Can you be charged with murder without a body?'
  • 1:14 p.m. 'Can you identify a body with broken teeth?'
On January 2nd., following those, the defendant was seen on surveillance at the Home Depot in ?? and checking with surveillance, the defendant is observed on the security camera pushing a cart.

Items included:
  • Cleaning products.
  • Mops
  • Brushes.
  • Tape.
  • Tarp.
  • Tyrek suit with boot covers.
  • Buckets.
  • ??
  • Baking soda.
  • Hatchet.
He had a face mask and rubber gloves on, at the time he was pushing the cart in Home Depot. At 5:32, he was seen at the ?? in Hingham now removing gloves and the mask.

Data from his phone also tracked his whereabouts on January 3rd. Locations were travelled at 4:27 on January 3rd., from apartment complex in Abington. Surveillance shows the defendant's Volvo, as well as a male fitting the defendant's appearance, exit a car near the dumpster. He walks to the dumpster carrying garbage bags. He's leaning and it appears to be heavy as he has to heft it into the dumpster. He walks to the dumpster with a garbage bag and leaves it. At 4:48 he hit another complex in Abington and at 5:10 p.m., cell phone shows records at another apartment in Brockton. Video shows a party, consistent with his appearance and his Volvo. Again, he discarded items in the dumpster.

On January 3rd., that same day, at 1:02 p.m., he did some more Google searches.
  • 1:02 p.m. 'What happens to hair on a dead body?'
  • 1:13 p.m. 'What is the rate of decomposition of a body found in a plastic bag compared to on a surface in the woods?'
  • 1:20 p.m. 'Can baking soda mask or make a body smell good?'
On January 4th., the following day, the defendant went to HomeGoods at T.J.Maxx. He purchased towels, as well as bathmats and men's clothing. At 4:15 that day on the 4th. he went to Lowe's where he purchased squeegees and a trash can. On January 4th., when Cohasset Police went to the house on the well-being check, officers observed his Volvo with seats down and a plastic liner in the back of the car. The next day, a view of the Volvo showed his seats folded down, floor mats with some dirt in the carpet, appeared to show fresh vacuum streaks. When asked about the liner, the defendant said he threw it in the trash. CSS later analysed the car and there was presence of blood in the car.

On January 5th., we viewed the data from the defendant's phone, showed his phone travelled at 8:00 a.m., first to his daycare and then to Swampscott where his mother resides. The phone travelled to the complex where his mother lives at 9:30 a.m., went for about 5 mins. around the building to the South East corner. In the South East corner of that complex is where there was a dumpster. The dumpster was later secured and searched.

On January 8th., police and Crime Scene Services searched the house in Cohasset. They found blood in the basement, a knife with a presence of blood. The knife was damaged. A second knife was also found in that basement. In addition, there was heavy duty ?? tarp plastic liners purchased from that Home Depot trip.

As part as the investigation police checked for activity on Ana's credit cards, banks, flights, trains There was no activity since she was last seen on January 1st. Police also tried to track down what happened to the bags that the defendant was seen throwing in the dumpster earlier. This was over in Abington. These bags, what was already in them, was already picked up and taken to a location for shredding and incinerated. By the time police located that they were already destroyed. However, investigators did secure and search the dumpsters from the defendant's mother's home complex in Swampscott. It was searched at a transfer station, in Peabody. Investigators recovered 10 trash bags. Inside the trash bags many of these items contained stains consistent with blood, in fact, a lot. Among the items secured were:
  • Towels.
  • Rags.
  • Slippers.
  • Tape.
  • Tyvek suit.
  • Gloves.
  • Cleaning Agents.
  • Carpets.
  • Rugs.
  • Hunter boots.
  • Prada purse.
  • COVID vaccine 19 card, in the name of Ana Walshe.
  • Hacksaw.
  • Hatchet.
  • Cutting shears.
The purse and boots were described as what Ana was last seen in. A portion of ?? was heavily stained with red/brown stains. The substance was consistent with also having baking soda on. There was a portion of a necklace consistent with one that Ana had been seen wearing in photos. The State Crime Lab. performed testing on certain selected items that were recovered from those trash bags. There was human blood found on them and then they were sent for DNA testing.

The findings are as follows:
  • On the slippers in the interior - Ana and Brian Walshe were contributers to the DNA on those slippers, which have blood on them.
  • On the exterior - Ana and Brian Walshe contributed to the DNA found on those slippers.
  • The Tyvek suit - On the interior cuffs Ana and Brian Walshe contributed to the DNA that was left on them.
  • On the exterior left pant leg - Ana Walshe was the contributor to the DNA.
  • On the interior right sleeve - Ana Walshe was a contributor to the DNA that was found on the Tyvek suit.
  • There was tissues - which found that Ana Walsh contributed to the DNA.
There was one other earlier Google search which should be of note. On December 27th., defendant googled 'what's the best State to divorce ?? ?'

Rather than divorce it appears Brian Walshe dismembered Ana Walshe and discarded her body. The bags were later discarded in Swampscott and contained Ana's property, and the items used to clean up, as well as the DNA that was left behind. The Commonwealth is asking the defendant be held without bail for the murder of his wife.

(Judge asks if defense wants to be heard and defense says no)

Judge - Defendant will be held without bail pending indictment.

Last edited:
It is hard for me to see what defense this guy would have in court. This evidence they already have is so damming what could any defense attorney have to work with? Do you think there is any chance for a plea agreement? Manslaughter vrs murder?

I presume they know where she was on December 27th and whether she physically could have used the son's iPad to search, or whether it had to be BW doing those searches.
It has been reported that she was in DC on the 27th as a DC friend has said AW was having trouble with her phone (needed to get a new SIM card, I believe) and needed to reschedule a meeting that they had had planned to have that day.

Could she have searched it on the son’s iPad and then subsequently BW found the search?
If I recall correctly Ana was in DC on the 27th when that search was reported to have been done so B would have been the only one in the home that would have been making that kind of inquiry.

I wonder if they can subpoena her phone records now. While an adult is allowed to disappear and so normally they can't do that until the person is found deceased, with the evidence they have, and the charges against him, I do hope they can. It's possible she left a digital trail that would seal the case even further - communication with friends and/or family, communication with Brian himself, her own Google searches and such.

I had to look up exactly what a hacksaw is.

Dear God......
While not necessarily onomatopoeiac -- the use or creation of a word that phonetically imitates, resembles, or suggests the sound that it describes -- "hacksaw" can be said to be imitative of that sound: "hack-hack-hack-hack-hack," back and forth, back and forth.

Why would BW want to divorce Ana?

Not sure what advantages it gives him unless he thought they would never jail him for the Warhol & estate thefts/scams?

If Ana told him she wanted to divorce, he would have been better off asking an attorney for advice instead of Google!

I hope Ana confided in someone about their problems. I sounds like the six months before her death holds a lot of clues as to motive.

JMO

18TH JANUARY.
Part 1.

Court Clerk - Mr. Walshe, on complaint 230318 you are charged on the 1st day of January, 2023, with assault to beat Ana Walshe with intent to murder that person. You're also charged with ?? of a body without lawful authority. Did wilfully dig up or remove human remains. Not guilty pleas will be entered.

DA - The defendant is now before the court charged with murder of his wife, Ana Walshe, as as well as ?? of a body. Ana was 39 yrs. old and mother of 3 children, 2, 4 and 6. Ana worked in Washington, DC., splitting her time weekdays, between DC during the week and staying in her house in Cohasset, where she lived with the defendant and their 3 kids.

On January 4th, 2023, Cohasset Police received a call from her Washington DC employer, indicating that she was missing. She was due to report to work on January 4th, but did not appear. She had a flight on January 3rd., from Logan to DC, which she did not board. Cohasset Police went to their house at Chief Justice, Cushing Hwy. for a well being check. It was only, at this time, when they met with the defendant that he first reported his wife missing. Defendant stated his wife left the house at approximately 6:00 a.m. on January 1st., New Year's Day. He stated she took an Uber or lift to go to the airport, that she was travelling to DC for work. Records were checked and there were no Uber or lifts to that house on January 1st. Defendant said he had not spoken to his wife since the early morning hours on New Year's Day.

Cohasset Police were granted permission to ring on his phone to locate her or her phone. Ana's phone indicated that it was stationary, in the area of the Cohasset house on New Year's Eve until 3:14 a.m., on January 2nd. There were no outgoing made at that time and at 3:14 a.m., on the 2nd., it was turned off. Defendant stated Ana should have been wearing a dress, a black jacket, Hunter boots, watch, ring as well as carrying a Prada purse. Defendant gave a time of 6:00 or 6:10 a.m. on the 1st. when he last saw her.

What I'd like to do now is just describe his actions on the days from January 1st. Defendant indicated on January 1st., at 3 p.m., he did some errands at went to his mother's house in Swampscott, but got lost because he didn't have his phone. He said he knew he was lost when he saw the pirate ship on Route 1. Defendant stayed 15 mins., then went to Wholefoods and CVS. Surveillance was checked and he did not enter either of those stores. On January 1st., defendant googled, using his son's iPad. Some of his searches are as follows (keep in mind that the defendant said he (I think she meant to say she) left at 6:00 a.m.:

January 1st.
  • 4:55 a.m. 'How long before a body starts to smell?'
  • 4:58 a.m. 'How to stop a body from decomposing?'
  • 5:20 a.m. 'How to mound a body?'
  • 5:47 a.m. '10 ways to dispose of a dead body if you really need to'
  • 6:25 a.m. 'How long for someone to be missing to inherit?'
  • 6:34 a.m. 'Can you throw away body parts?
  • 9:29 a.m. 'What does formaldehyde do?
  • 9:34 a.m. 'How long does DNA last?'
  • 9:59 a.m. 'Can identification be made on partial remains?'
  • 11:34 a.m. 'Dismemberment and the best ways to dispose of a body?'
  • 11:44 a.m. 'How to clean blood from wooden floor?'
  • 11:56 a.m. 'Luminol to detect blood'
  • 1.08 p.m. 'What happens when you put body parts in ammonia?'
  • 1:21 p.m. 'Is it better to throw crime scene clothes away or wash them?'
Those were on January 1st. There was also information gained from the defendants phone which showed on January 2nd., he was at HomeGoods in Norwell where he purchased 3 rugs.
Honestly, looking at some of these searches, ie: "Can identification be made on partial remains?', this guy seemed really clueless and probably never watched a TV crime show, read the news or used the internet much, as a 5th grader could answer that question.

“Walshe's Lawyer Issues Statement​

Tracy Miner, who is representing Brian Walshe, issued the following statement:

"It is easy to charge a crime and even easier to say a person committed that crime. It is a much more difficult thing to prove it, which we will see if the prosecution can do. I am not going to comment on the evidence, first because I am going to try this case in the court and not in the media. Second, because I haven't been provided with any evidence by the prosecution. In my experience, where, as here, the prosecution leaks so called evidence to the press before they provide it to me, their case isn't that strong. When they have a strong case, they give me everything as soon as possible. We shall see what they have and what evidence is admissible in court, where the case will ultimately be decided.

Although it is probably fruitless, I ask that you not inundate my office, my home or my cell phone with media requests. I will not be giving any media interviews or comments. I intend to win this case in court, not in the media, which has already tried and convicted Mr. Walshe."”

I mean, as a defense lawyer with a client who has not pled guilty, there's not much she can say. This seems to be a standard statement. Or actual, a lot of times I hear lawyers talking about their client maintaining their innocence and expecting to be exonerated and so on, but she's not even saying that here. She's basically saying that she'll see if they can prove it, and already talking about a probable strategy to try to exclude things in court -- and honestly, unless she can exclude most of this from court somehow, I don't know how she's going to win the case if it goes to trial.

Is this a public defender? Did she speak to him before the hearing today?

I bet she was blindsided by all of this evidence and was probably thinking "holy *advertiser censored* this guy is so guilty" and plotting where to start drinking after the hearing was over.

Why would BW want to divorce Ana?

Not sure what advantages it gives him unless he thought they would never jail him for the Warhol & estate thefts/scams?

If Ana told him she wanted to divorce, he would have been better off asking an attorney for advice instead of Google!

I hope Ana confided in someone about their problems. I sounds like the six months before her death holds a lot of clues as to motive.

JMO
We could paraphrase the famous Fitzgerald-Hemingway exchange about wealth and the rich, and answer the question in terms of sociopaths: Fitz: "Sociopaths are very different from you and me." Hem: "Yes, they're a darned sight crazier."

I mean, as a defense lawyer with a client who has not pled guilty, there's not much she can say. This seems to be a standard statement. Or actual, a lot of times I hear lawyers talking about their client maintaining their innocence and expecting to be exonerated and so on, but she's not even saying that here. She's basically saying that she'll see if they can prove it, and already talking about a probable strategy to try to exclude things in court -- and honestly, unless she can exclude most of this from court somehow, I don't know how she's going to win the case if it goes to trial.

I bet she was blindsided by all of this evidence and was probably thinking "holy *advertiser censored* this guy is so guilty" and plotting where to start drinking after the hearing was over.
Great post!

Not a public defender. Miner Siddall LLP

I feel like something went down on Christmas possibly Ana brought up divorce, which is why she begged her mother to come to DC the next day Dec. 26. I’m assuming then that she was in DC Dec 27 so definitely was BW who used the iPad in MA to search about divorce.
yep, and that's why she wrote that New Year's message about "still here, together"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back