MA - Bella Bond, 2, found dead, Deer Island, Boston Harbor, June 2015 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha. People see it as self serving. More money, the taxpayer thinks. More money for the agency. Who cares. Not the taxpayer

To me, as a taxpayer, I see the policy of doing what is right for the child as cheaper. Take Bella, a family with money would have paid to adopt her and they could have raised her on their own without government assistance.

Thank You for doing what you could. You did a job that I could never do. IMO the system needs an overhaul. You worked within the P&P of your former Agency. I feel for those who do this job. We must do better. These Children are our future. Those that survive that is.

I am personally blaming the system as a whole. I do not think that any person on an individual level dropped the ball. <modsnip> The individual people who work as social workers are not the issue. The issue is that we base the entire organization around the completely asinine policy of keeping families together. That policy sounds all well and good, but in practice it only creates more heartache for the children. When you have an agency that creates rules and procedures on the basis of a horribly thought-out policy, then the agency will never, ever function properly.

Going off the previous posts ^^

There have been numerous posts encouraging posters who are truly concerned about the welfare of children to adopt. However, there are numerous other ways to help and bring real change and improvement to children's life's. At the age of 47, I went back to school to become a social worker and I'd encourage others to do the same. Just one of the benefits of being an "older" and more "life-experienced" student is that you have the ability to transform the typical "going along with the standard status quo" social work methods taught in the classroom, which are often more easily and readily accepted by younger inexperienced learners, to a classroom whereby real debate and decussion around what methods and practices REALLY work and which ones don't in reality - in the field. Family reunification is pushed very hard as being the number one goal and I initiated many debates around this issue in the classroom and actually wrote my senior research paper on this very topic. I'd like to think that, while I haven't - yet - changed the process or policy, those decussions and debates that ensued around the subject (and many others) helped my fellow students to think differently going forward, when they ultimately went into the field and worked hands-on with families and children. We bring change by being part of the change. Aside from going into social work, there are numerous other positions out there that can have huge impacts on the life of a child. We know that children are at the highest risk of child abuse/homicide from the age of birth to 4 years of age - working at a preschool and/or daycare center - or starting one yourself - can be a great way to offer a healthy loving and learning environment to children who may be at-risk. My intention was not to go off-topic here but instead to offer up ideas on how all of us can take our love of children and our anger and frustration at the current system and transform that into real change. Change that can help prevent another story like precious Bella's ~

JMO ~

No, my son isn't in preschool. He is only 2 and I am a SAHM. I don't care about the time or money of therapy. The frustrating part is having a child who cannot communicate. I spend all day with him. He pretty much screams as a form of communication. It is hard. If Bella did have some of the same issues (who knows?), I can't imagine RB handled it well at all based on what we know. Even I, someone pretty 'normal' with no anger or drug issues, can feel at my wits end sometimes. That's the kind of frustration I'm talking about. Even a child without REAL delays can have trouble communicating at that age. It's actually normal as far as I know.

And like you said, I think RB also probably had unrealistic expectations of a toddler. Even that interview with the sister mentioned that Bella wasn't talking in "full sentences." To me, that wouldn't really classify as a delay at that age. But if RB expected that, she probably got frustrated with Bella's lack of speech. It's sad.

RB's own speech was terribly slurred and difficult to understand, imo. And given her inappropriate expectations for a two-year-old's behavior (spraying silly string in a toddler's face and then getting irritated because the kid can't see? Really?), I can't help but wonder if she also had inappropriate expectations for Bella's speech. Poor sweet baby Bella.

I am also a previous child welfare worker and will be going back into the social work field next month. I agree that its not fair to blame DCF but I do have major questions as I'm sure the state does as well and you can bet they will be reviewing every single syllable written in the DCF file and with good reason. Without knowing what the initial referral to DCF in regards to Bella alleged, and the justification for closing the case the first time it's impossible to know what they did. For all we know, after the second referral came in, DCF could have helped RB get into that women's shelter and into stable housing and then closed the case if she met all the goals on the family service plan. Then once she got into that house Bella was murdered in, things fell apart as we heard people who know her say in interviews about her drug use. With all that being said, it still needs to be reviewed just like all child deaths. In my state, we have a child death review board that reviews all child deaths whether or not CPS was involved and one of the people on the board is the CPS director.

The problem is, everything is geared toward reunification and helping the parents. Literally, in your paperwork you have to identify "protective factors" that each parent has that show they can be a good parent. Reunification is always the goal up until the very end and throughout the course of a case you will see families who have kids in and out of placement for years, then the cycle repeats.

I'm as curious as anyone as to what the reasoning was that the case was opened and closed the first and second time, but we won't ever know that unless the caseworker testifies during the trial, which the defense might subpoena him or her to try to show RB was a good mom or they wouldn't have closed the case.

The fact of the matter is that DFS can't put cameras in peoples homes to monitor them. The laws are written in favor of the parents and working within those parameters is rough at times. I can't even begin to tell you how many sleepless nights I had worried about kids that I felt needed to be in protective custody but was told no by my supervisor because there wasn't enough and it wouldn't hold up in court. It's a thankless job and I wish there were better policies in place. I really do wonder the reasoning for closing the case. I know you can't keep them open forever but I had some families for a few years when I was in the ongoing services department and the kids were never removed from the home but I was there at a minimum once a month, usually bi weekly just making sure mom was doing what she needed and assessing safety at every visit. Anyway, sorry for the rant I guess I'm just annoyed with the system as a whole and am curious to know the reasoning for the case being closed.

Excellent post. Hold up in court. Yup.

Parental rights are really strong in America. And reunification is about money. I believe that 100% . It is more expensive in the long run because of all the issues tge child will eventually have, but in the short run not paying for foster care looks good.

I would like to see the mother and child living together in something like a group home, It is hard though because then everyone with severe issues is together and that makes drama too, 24/7 mentoring is needed.

DFC, and the people who work there, really ought to make a public stink about the policies which govern their agency. The policy of keeping families together is a failed policy. Running an organization on a failed policy will naturally result in failed outcomes. Bella should have immediately been taken from her mother and put up for adoption, end of story.
In my state, when determining who gets custody of a child in a DIVORCE it is always predicated on the "best interest of the child". Not the family.. or the parent.. the child. Why cant that philosophy be applied to every DCF case? Clearly, imo, the present system doesnt work. Too many babies out there in very bad situations. We leave these poor kids in terrible homes and then wonder why they grow up angry, drug addicted and horrible parents themselves. The fact that this mom already lost 2 kids should have been a BIG CLUE to the case worker that there was a huge deficiency there that needed to be monitored. JMO

Just my opinion on all of this

Your child is entitled by law-PL 94-142 to receive free services. The child will be tested and a free plan will be made. The window for great gains is short so I really recommend getting in touch with your school district or doctor. There will be tremendous gains

Yes you can get benefits for it, but for my daughter, it was not intensive at the level she needed. We pay ~$700 a month between her speciality school and private speech therapist who is out of network. The state program would only come once every two weeks. Not knocking their efforts, I know their caseload is probably maxed out in every way. However, if one good thing comes from this case, possibly some reform that starts out from listening to the people who work the front lines and without the concern of the bottom dollar. We waste so much money on our government, politics aside, we should be throwing a little bit more towards programs meant to save and help the children of tomorrow.

I doubt if Bella was even diagnosed as speech delayed, but who knows. And what I have come to learn, speech delays are not a result of the environment necessarily. There are plenty of junkies who have kids with no speech delay. Plenty of wonderful parents who have kids with speech delays.

I will be especially interested to see sweet Bella's medical folder, if she went to scheduled check ups on time, and how her growth charts looked. I don't think the police are wrong on this, and I don't think there are missing birthdays.

This mother had history of drug and prostitution arrests. She lost custody of two older children. There were several calls on Bella starting when Bella was born. Why did DCF leave Bella with this woman? What exactly would be the reasoning here? If you leave a child with a drug addicted prostitute, do you really think the outcome will be good?

I agree and I used to work in the field. I am shocked it was t at least kept open to monitor them but what do I know. I wrote in a previous post we prob won't know the answer unless it comes out at trial. I would not have been comfortable just closing the case for a second time but oh well, it's up to the supervisors anyway. If you want to keep a case open to monitor, you can. If they fight you about it petition the court for an order of cooperation and let the judge decide. Then at least you tried. IMO

Looking forward to tomorrow's arraignment of RB and MM. We need more facts. I am interested in learning more about the nature of the 2 investigations regarding neglect for Baby Bella in light of having a history of 2 children removed from her custody. RB's mom not knowing RB had Baby Bella- could be she was the impetus behind the 2 children being removed.
Let's go Monday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, has anyone with a classmates account tried looking up MM? I really want to know more about him.

The agency has the ability to petition for better rules, since they are the ones in the trenches who see the effects first hand.

But so do WE as voters. I wonder how many will actually petition their lawmakers instead of just complaining about it?

Article has some details on the bio dad (at least the one who thinks he is the bio dad. I doubt they ever had DNA tests done).

"He visited Bella Bond’s home on Maxwell Street in Dorchester twice, he said, only to be told by the girl’s mother, Rachelle Bond, that the girl was on Cape Cod. Her darting eyes told a different story. By the end of last week, after they had spent about 24 hours together, he said, she told him the awful truth."

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/09/19/bella/gTUv3lRRWmVY5uIdrbW0SP/story.html

In my state, when determining who gets custody of a child in a DIVORCE it is always predicated on the "best interest of the child". Not the family.. or the parent.. the child. Why cant that philosophy be applied to every DCF case? Clearly, imo, the present system doesnt work. Too many babies out there in very bad situations. We leave these poor kids in terrible homes and then wonder why they grow up angry, drug addicted and horrible parents themselves. The fact that this mom already lost 2 kids should have been a BIG CLUE to the case worker that there was a huge deficiency there that needed to be monitored. JMO

To me it should not have just been a "big clue" but rather should have completely preempted her from ever having custody of any future children ever (unless of course, she made some incredibly massive change in her life, and still the burden of proof would be on her).

I do not think that keeping the family together is a bad goal. Indeed it is a very noble goal. Let's give the parents help and get them on their feet and keep the family together. The problem is that once put into practice, it is obvious that for the majority of parents, that goal can never be reached. It should still be one of the goals, just in case a parent really could reform with some help, but the first goal should simply be to remove the child as early as possible and get it adopted out permanently to a good home.

To me, as a taxpayer, I see the policy of doing what is right for the child as cheaper. Take Bella, a family with money would have paid to adopt her and they could have raised her on their own without government assistance.

Me, too, But the law has to be followed. Removal. Plans. Court hearings, etc etc etc,

Most people have no clue and I have little even working with families and children with issues for 30 years. Everything is private. I could not talk to a social worker or a doctor unless they had a court order that allowed them to talk to me. It is illegal to share information unless you get the person to sign a form granting permission.

:stop:

We will not be solving the ills and shortcomings of CPS/DCFS in this thread. Many valid points and concerns have been raised and everyone has an opinion on how to fix the problems with the system as a whole. Going round in circles on Bella's thread does NOT solve a single thing.

Return to discussing Bella's case or this thread will end up closed for admin review and NOBODY wants that!

Still cant find anything as to a time for tommorow. Grrrrrrr. Even did a Docket search. Nada.

But so do WE as voters. I wonder how many will actually petition their lawmakers instead of just complaining about it?

The thing is that we as voters are not experts in this. It needs to be the organization because they have all the credibility. They have the studies and educated professionals. We as voters don't have that on the individual level. And if this is a swipe at me I am doing something about it by discussing it here with several people who are in these organizations. I hope that a few of them might see where I am coming from and think about what I am saying. Many are naturally defensive because they (rightfully) claim that as things are set up now, there is nothing they can do for the Bellas of this world. But we can change the way things are set up so that we can do something for the Bellas of this world.

The case worker has to follow the law. The parents have a ton of rights, The lawful procedure must be followed

If anyone see's a link and/or time for the hearing tomorrow please post. I will check my twitter feed but plan to watch the Emmy's tonight. Feeling the need for something mindless tonight. TIA

What do you think will happn at the hearing? I think not much.

But there is the press conference, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
craig21876