MA MA - Caleigh Harrison, 2, Rockport, 19 April 2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http:///viewArticle.action?articleId=281474981280130

There are quite a few questions to ask about the day the child disappeared.

Is this beach a heavily trafficked area or is it a more secluded and quiet beach?
Are there any surveillance cameras aimed at the area of the alleged disappearance?
Are there any witnesses who may have seen the mother and both children together playing? Are there any witnesses who saw anything at all?
Is there any type of custodial dispute between the mother and father of the child?

JMO, but if the fact that she was not watching the girls kept popping up on FB, implying that the mom was neglectful, that could be why she was upset. She is probably very defensive right now and also has been asked numerous times by LE as to WHY she left a 2 yr. old unattended for even a minute. Plus, she is not thinking straight and may not have given a thought to the practical side of things... like letting everyone in the world know about her missing child... all she is seeing is comments about her being neglectful. IDK... just a random thought. I think she should be given a little slack for now. Parents with missing kids are usually too distraught to consider everything.

Ok, I talked to my friend Karen again. She said every one on the page was very supportive and optimistic, she didn't have to delete any comments because they were all kind. She talked to a cousin who lives in another state who really appreciated all the updates she was posting.
Karen asked them for more pictures of Caleigh and they sent her a whole bunch. She used imikimi to make one big collage of Caleigh with, "Please pray for Caleigh." and the page url.
With in a few minutes there were ten comments from people saying things like "who made this page? You did not have the family's permission." "what kinda sick evil demented person would exploit a tragedy like this." And then the comments started piling on demanding the page be deleted.
17 minutes after she posted the collage, she deleted it cuz so many people seemed angry over it.
Then she had to shut down the wall to comments because every one was calling her names. When the wall was shut down, they all started commenting on the news link postings, "You are exploiting this child and posting false information about the search." And that mom was sending the cops after the page creator.
Karen is a very sweet caring person, but she did not feel like dealing with all the drama, so she deleted the page.

This morning I saw there were 3 other pages for Caleigh, and they all had similar comments to what Karen had said. This evening all the pages are gone!!

Wow. Not sure what I think about this. As a mom myself, this would not be a priority for me...just sayin.

Hope they find this baby. She sure it cute.

Ok, I talked to my friend Karen again. She said every one on the page was very supportive and optimistic, she didn't have to delete any comments because they were all kind. She talked to a cousin who lives in another state who really appreciated all the updates she was posting.
Karen asked them for more pictures of Caleigh and they sent her a whole bunch. She used imikimi to make one big collage of Caleigh with, "Please pray for Caleigh." and the page url.
With in a few minutes there were ten comments from people saying things like "who made this page? You did not have the family's permission." "what kinda sick evil demented person would exploit a tragedy like this." And then the comments started piling on demanding the page be deleted.
17 minutes after she posted the collage, she deleted it cuz so many people seemed angry over it.
Then she had to shut down the wall to comments because every one was calling her names. When the wall was shut down, they all started commenting on the news link postings, "You are exploiting this child and posting false information about the search." And that mom was sending the cops after the page creator.
Karen is a very sweet caring person, but she did not feel like dealing with all the drama, so she deleted the page.

This morning I saw there were 3 other pages for Caleigh, and they all had similar comments to what Karen had said. This evening all the pages are gone!!

Bless your friend! I certainly hope this doesn't stop her from doing this again.
I know if my child went missing I would want all the help your friend & the world could give me. My hinky meter went off right away in this case.
There is only one victim here - baby Caleigh.

I can also confirm the ocean water in MA is freaking freezing (except for the bay side of Cape Cod) even in the middle of summer..Funny thing is sometimes on the cooler days the water is warm enough to go in but on the brutal hot days it tends to be even colder..So cold you can't make it past your ankles..It hurts so bad you can't stand it..The water temps also depend on which way the wind's blowing..But it's still only mid-April..Enough said!

(snip)
The bottom line is if the mom had known about the weather/water conditions would she still have brought her little ones there? If she didn't know she should have made an effort to find out before deciding to take them there to play. imho

I wondered if I was just being overprotective in thinking I'd have had SOME kind of flotation device on each child even if the plan was not to go into the water. But others seem to feel the same way.

I grew up in New England and it was always FREEZING COLD in the ocean. Even in Maryland, the ocean water is usually too cold for my liking.

And last... if mom was a Facebook/iPhone user, why didn't she shoot some pictures of the kids and dog playing? I know I would have. They are only little once.

I get your drift. Because even if the 4 yr old didn't see the baby actually go missing, she would have been there when all of the drama unfolded, and would have some stories to tell LE about that.

It just strikes me as odd though, because most 4 yr olds I know are pretty observant and also protective of younger siblings. Especially if mom walks away and leaves them in the ocean.
(snip)

OK... BIUBM

Some 4 year old are not thrilled with their younger siblings. I am NOT saying this happened, but she may have seen her sister go into the water and get pulled down, but be afraid to say so since she did nothing to stop her. Or, she may even have CONVINCED her sister to walk with her to the edge of the water, and inch in. You know what I mean... see who is bravest in the cold, cold water? Something bad happened and she is afraid of being blamed. BTW, I think Mom was gone longer than she says.

Umm...Did I miss it?? where was Dad when the girls, mom and dog were playing?

Maybe the press is reporting something erroneously and that is why the family and friends were upset? Also, if the parents believe little Caleigh went into the water, then they are most definitely grieving right now and probably want privacy. I don't understand the harshness of the reaction but I can understand the reasonings behind it.

OK... BIUBM

Some 4 year old are not thrilled with their younger siblings. I am NOT saying this happened, but she may have seen her sister go into the water and get pulled down, but be afraid to say so since she did nothing to stop her. Or, she may even have CONVINCED her sister to walk with her to the edge of the water, and inch in. You know what I mean... see who is bravest in the cold, cold water? Something bad happened and she is afraid of being blamed. BTW, I think Mom was gone longer than she says.

I was thinking of this same reaction regarding the 4 yo due to an experience I had as a kid.

When I was 4 my father took my 2 yo brother and I to the Marina in Key Biscayne Fla. We wandered only feet from my father as he was talking with a buddy and the naughty little girl in me purposefully pushed my baby brother off the pier and into the deep water. Dad ran quickly and pulled him out and all these years later I remember my intent. I meant to push him in! I do not remember wanting him to drown, he just annoyed me and maybe i was not happy I had to watch him.
JMO

I was thinking of this same reaction regarding the 4 yo due to an experience I had as a kid.

When I was 4 my father took my 2 yo brother and I to the Marina in Key Biscayne Fla. We wandered only feet from my father as he was talking with a buddy and the naughty little girl in me purposefully pushed my baby brother off the pier and into the deep water. Dad ran quickly and pulled him out and all these years later I remember my intent. I meant to push him in! I do not remember wanting him to drown, he just annoyed me and maybe i was not happy I had to watch him.
JMO

A 4 year old doesn't truly understand the consequences of an action like that.

State Police may put about 20 divers in the water off Rockport on Wednesday in an effort to find 2-year-old Caleigh Anne Harrison, the girl who has gone missing and is feared to have beeen swept out to sea, a spokesman said today.

The agency has moved a previously scheduled training exercise to the area, enabling the large number of divers to be deployed, said David Procopio.

On Tuesday, after the weather clears, State Police experts will deploy side-scan sonar along Long and Cape Hedge beaches, he said. If that doesn’t work, the divers will search the next day.

Snipped: http://www.boston.com/Boston/metrod...ng-rockport/BnJBpiYh8hMCpARnecSPeK/index.html

Growing up near/on the water, we were always taught "Never turn your back on the ocean." We were not put in PFD's (personal flotation device) on land, only on boats and docks. The Atlantic is a wild force of nature and I distinctly remember a rogue wave taken out a mom who was watching us and not the ocean. The waves that were coming in were 2 or 3 feet tall and then suddenly there was one that was 5 or 6, it's not that uncommon and could easily take out a toddler who was on the beach in a "safe" spot near the waterline.

Dear St. Anthony, please come around, Caleigh is lost and cannot be found.

I wonder if we are going to be the next ones to get "in trouble" with Caleigh's family? :waitasec:

Maybe the press is reporting something erroneously and that is why the family and friends were upset? Also, if the parents believe little Caleigh went into the water, then they are most definitely grieving right now and probably want privacy. I don't understand the harshness of the reaction but I can understand the reasonings behind it.

But why would you WANT to believe this baby girl went into the water before there is evidence of that?

The family has said they don't believe she would go to the water because she wasn't adventurous.

http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news...ng-from-rockport-beach-20120419#ixzz1sZGW6xF1

Law enforcement has said they don't know what happened and are not ruling out other options.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47104986/ns/local_news-boston_ma/

That means in law enforcement's opinion the possibility of an abduction still exists. So why doesn't it appear to in the family's mind?
That is what I can't understand... accepting the child is dead in the water... even before law enforcement has concluded that. :waitasec:

I wonder if we are going to be the next ones to get "in trouble" with Caleigh's family? :waitasec:

But why would you WANT to believe this baby girl went into the water before there is evidence of that?

The family has said they don't believe she would go to the water because she wasn't adventurous.

http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news...ng-from-rockport-beach-20120419#ixzz1sZGW6xF1

Law enforcement has said they don't know what happened and are not ruling out other options.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47104986/ns/local_news-boston_ma/

That means in law enforcement's opinion the possibility of an abduction still exists. So why doesn't it appear to in the family's mind?
That is what I can't understand... accepting the child is dead in the water... even before law enforcement has concluded that. :waitasec:

As I have never been in this situation and hopefully never will, I can only speculate on what might I might think in that situation. But maybe it's easier to think that Caleigh died accidentally in the ocean than to think she was kidnapped for nefarious purposes and was being put through hell.

As someone living on the coast with three young children, I'd much rather believe my boys were taken by someone who wanted a child. Intellectually, I know that's the statistically rarest outcome, but I'd never want to believe they were in the water. To not know, and to realize you might never know. The sea is so big and so vacuous. There are currents that can take a body miles. Animals that will scavenge and destroy the body. The realities of decomposition in water are awful. All that going through your mind versus having hope that they're with someone who wanted a child and might be vascilating about chickening out and leaving them at a fire station? What's the better train of thought?

Four football players went missing in the Gulf a couple years back, not all that far off shore. There was one survivor and the others basically died in front of him. Three big football players went into the Gulf and were never recovered. To this day, I wonder if I'll be walking along and stumble across a bone. It was right off our coast. Imagining what the families have to contemplate makes me sad. Jet stream? Sharks? One of them a skeleton after he was washed on an island and died there? Yuck. No closure and only dire 'what if's.

I am having a difficult time understanding how a mother would leave her little ones unattended to jump a wall or fight the waters in order to retrieve a dog toy.

~jmo~

long time lurker-first time poster.

i was confused about the ball-and exactly who it was for. was it a dog ball or the kids' ball? why would mom "retrieve" ball for the dog? and even if it was for the kids-how far could they possibly throw it that mom was gone so long. should take seconds to get a ball-not minutes.
my dog would cross 10 lanes of busy traffic for his ball and i could never outrun him to get it. my kids are 5 and 6 and they still tend to throw a ball downward and therefore unless it's a very small bouncy ball-it doesn't really go that far...especially on sand.

long time lurker-first time poster.

i was confused about the ball-and exactly who it was for. was it a dog ball or the kids' ball? why would mom "retrieve" ball for the dog? and even if it was for the kids-how far could they possibly throw it that mom was gone so long. should take seconds to get a ball-not minutes.
my dog would cross 10 lanes of busy traffic for his ball and i could never outrun him to get it. my kids are 5 and 6 and they still tend to throw a ball downward and therefore unless it's a very small bouncy ball-it doesn't really go that far...especially on sand.

:rocker:

Excellent First Post, Purplesage..(love the screen name)

And
:wagon:

Well, if the ball indeed went over the wall, then perhaps she did go around the exterior of the home to get it. Depending on the size of the dog, the dog retrieving the ball may have been very difficult.

What boggles my mind, as a mom of a 4, 3, and a 2, is that she just wouldn't say "Oh well." about a ball. I've lost countless balls in our own yard, even. They cost a couple bucks. Who on earth would leave small children feet from the roaring ocean to get it? I try to refrain from judgement, but it just doesn't make sense. I'd drag the kids with me to retrieve a $100 bill, much less a ball.

As I have never been in this situation and hopefully never will, I can only speculate on what might I might think in that situation. But maybe it's easier to think that Caleigh died accidentally in the ocean than to think she was kidnapped for nefarious purposes and was being put through hell.

I was actually more thinking someone who wanted a child... saw this woman leave Caleigh there... and used it to justify taking her.

We see parents believe for YEARS that their child was abducted by someone who wanted a child. Older kids even.

If they truly believe she is in the water at this point... that strikes me as odd and I think there is a reason for it.

There is something that we don't know. Evidence, witness, knowledge... something that would convince them of that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemc
Back