MA MA - Caleigh Harrison, 2, Rockport, 19 April 2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
You can not be to surprised the mom went to fetch the ball and left kids alone for a second. It seems it would be easier. I have seen, and I am sure most of the parent here have witness something that a parent did that you would never ever do. Because its easier. I witness a parent leaving a child in a car with windows down while she ran into a store, no windows in store. I was waiting for my husband, the child started talking to me.. What? I have witness parents running to cars while the child is in park alone, or even at a lake beach. Some parents do this, because its easier. For me, I would of had both my kids walk with me to get the ball, because I don't take the easier route. I even stuff my kids in a portapotty with me, even with friends I know are around. That's life. To be honest, I just can not imagine this child who is only a few months shy of 3 to go into the water. One foot in and she probably would of run out because its damn cold. And the beach is huge looking, were they the only ones their that day??? I feel so sorry for this family, I can only imagine the regret she has. Wishing to take back that day. I never want to be in a missing child parents shoes. I don't think I would survive.

If this account is correct then it clarifies things. I believe that she walked to get the ball and Caleigh followed her and slipped into the water. Her sister doesn't remember anything because she was playing in the sand. It is loud by the water so you can't really hear well. I'm going to go over there today and walk the bridge and see where the stairs are....

http://nancygrace.blogs.cnn.com/201...oddler-last-seen-playing-on-beach/?hpt=ng_mid

“What we know and understand is the girls were playing near the water, building a sand castle – Alison had the family dog out there,” said Caleigh’s uncle, David Harrison. “The ball went up on the embankment and she went up the stairs to the top of the sea wall, about 50 yards from where the girls were playing.”
“She walked up the stairs 15 to 20 feet, got to the top of the wall and picked up the ball,” Harrison said. “When she looked from a top the wall there was just one kid.”

Ok, but if for some reason I had to walk 50 yards away from my toddlers, I swear I would be walking backwards. I mean, wouldn't you at lease turn your head every other step to make sure they were still in sight? Especially on a beach??

It would explain why the four year old doesn't remember anything about playing with her sister on the beach.

Didn't LE say that the 4 y.o. didn't remember anything useful, not that she didn't remember playing with her at all? Seems to me that it would only have taken a few questions for her to say, "My sissy was not at the beach, just my mom and me."

If someone kidnapped her they would have still been visible down the beach carrying her, right? So either she went in the water or she wasn't there. Mo

The baby could have looked up and not seen her mom, some toddlers panic and start running to find their mom, she could have run too close too the water and was immediately knocked over and pulled in, even if it was cold, she probably fell when the water hit her and could not run out. Mo

Didn't LE say that the 4 y.o. didn't remember anything useful, not that she didn't remember playing with her at all? Seems to me that it would only have taken a few questions for her to say, "My sissy was not at the beach, just my mom and me."

I'm not sure if LE has stated anything the sister said. Just that it wasn't helpful. I would assume that if the sister said it was just her and her mom then they would be putting a lot more effort into a criminal investigation. It seems like they are putting most of their efforts into a ocean search. I took from the scenario of the girls playing in the sand and mom walking to get a ball, that Caleigh got up to follow, and the sister was concentrating on the sandcastle or whatever she was doing....so it wasn't helpful because she didn't see her sister walk away. It seems like a slim chance that someone took the Caleigh, the mom would have been up higher if she was at the top of stairs and would have a clear view of the area and therefore have seen someone walking away with her.

Also one of the articles said that Caleigh's aunt has a house there, so she would be used to the area, and maybe mom is more relaxed around it because they spend a lot of time there. Therefore not being so panicked about the water, and not having a clear respect for what it can do. I don't know...just some thoughts....

Ok, but if for some reason I had to walk 50 yards away from my toddlers, I swear I would be walking backwards. I mean, wouldn't you at lease turn your head every other step to make sure they were still in sight? Especially on a beach??

Yes... but I wouldn't be leaving two children that young at all to retrieve a ball, especially not that close to the water. Heck, I wouldn't be on the beach with 2 of them in less than 80 degree weather to start with, but I'm not her. Young moms make mistakes, and sometimes those mistakes have a tragic ending. Like the little boy down south of me a few weeks ago who went missing and ended up drowning in a pond, because Mom fell asleep and wasn't watching him. She got plenty of blame, IIRC.

It's so easy to see all the mistakes these moms make, but the truth is, it can happen to anybody. Young mothers don't always make the right choices, they just assume that nothing bad will happen. I made split decisions a few times with all 3 of mine, and probably put them in jeapordy, but I was lucky. They're all alive and well, thank God. But some moms and dads are not that lucky, tragedy strikes, no matter how careful they think they have been.

Maybe she just thought it would take a few seconds to get the ball. Maybe she told the 4 yr. old to watch her sister and she got distracted. We don't know, but I cannot sit here behind this computer screen and say that I never made a mistake or that I was always the perfectly attentive mother every minute of every day... because I wasn't. And I doubt that very many here are either.

JMO

I have posted here and then deleted it because I feel so torn. I think I honestly believe that little Caleigh went into the water. But, bc it is such a horrible and scary thought that one moment of distraction can lead to losing your child forever, I can't completely come to terms with it and still "hope" that there is more to the story.

As far as Caleigh not going into the water bc it is so cold. Kids, in my experience, don't react to weather extremes until it's too late. My daughter would put her bare hands into the snow and leave them there, if I let her.

Also, and this can be taken as rumor if need be, I read Mom's FB on the first day, before it went private. There was a post from Monday where she said she had gone to the beach with her girls and they had gone in the water "of course". Even though Monday was a very hot day in MA (Boston marathon day- 85 degrades), the water would have still been frigid, but that didn't stop her girls from swimming. They must have been beach babies...

And in a post on Thursday, the day Caleigh disappeared, around 9ish in the morning, she said she was heading to the beach with her girls and the dog.

I have some screen shots of the FB page, but I didn't take them of all of the earlier posts (there were a ton, she was a frequent poster), so all of the usual apply, IMO, moo etc...

Mods please delete if necessary, with my apologies...

I'm not sure if LE has stated anything the sister said. Just that it wasn't helpful. I would assume that if the sister said it was just her and her mom then they would be putting a lot more effort into a criminal investigation. It seems like they are putting most of their efforts into a ocean search. I took from the scenario of the girls playing in the sand and mom walking to get a ball, that Caleigh got up to follow, and the sister was concentrating on the sandcastle or whatever she was doing....so it wasn't helpful because she didn't see her sister walk away. It seems like a slim chance that someone took the Caleigh, the mom would have been up higher if she was at the top of stairs and would have a clear view of the area and therefore have seen someone walking away with her.

Also one of the articles said that Caleigh's aunt has a house there, so she would be used to the area, and maybe mom is more relaxed around it because they spend a lot of time there. Therefore not being so panicked about the water, and not having a clear respect for what it can do. I don't know...just some thoughts....

Yes, that's kind of my point, we don't know what the 4 yr. old has told them, and she may just be scared to say much for fear of getting in trouble. Or she may not have seen what actually happened. Kids that age are easily distracted. Some can be very responsible but many are not.

Yes... but I wouldn't be leaving two children that young at all to retrieve a ball, especially not that close to the water. Heck, I wouldn't be on the beach with 2 of them in less than 80 degree weather to start with, but I'm not her. Young moms make mistakes, and sometimes those mistakes have a tragic ending. Like the little boy down south of me a few weeks ago who went missing and ended up drowning in a pond, because Mom fell asleep and wasn't watching him. She got plenty of blame, IIRC.

It's so easy to see all the mistakes these moms make, but the truth is, it can happen to anybody. Young mothers don't always make the right choices, they just assume that nothing bad will happen. I made split decisions a few times with all 3 of mine, and probably put them in jeapordy, but I was lucky. They're all alive and well, thank God. But some moms and dads are not that lucky, tragedy strikes, no matter how careful they think they have been.

Maybe she just thought it would take a few seconds to get the ball. Maybe she told the 4 yr. old to watch her sister and she got distracted. We don't know, but I cannot sit here behind this computer screen and say that I never made a mistake or that I was always the perfectly attentive mother every minute of every day... because I wasn't. And I doubt that very many here are either.

JMO

Yes, I think I know the case-they had just moved into a new home? Honestly I know we all make mistakes-of course I have-I guess though there are certain situations where I am especially vigilant-like near water. At the beginning I even posted about how easy it is to get pulled into the ocean there, I used to go to that beach. But it bothers me that at the time LE was still considering a possible abduction, the family stated that the mother was furious about a FB page set up to help find this little girl. Then to walk over 50 yards away and not even look back .... it's concerning to me.

JMO

Thanks wasn't enough - I totally agree!!! I've done same with older 2 kids - I am a little more cognizant of even little things with my 6yr old now.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nc1995
Back