Found Deceased MA - Carol Flaz, 37, Lawrence, 31 Aug 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wow that was solved very quickly. Carol looks like one of my good friends, I did a double take when I saw the pictures.

My thoughts and prayers are with her children and all those who loved Carol. Another senseless death at the hands of a violent man.

Didn't she receive a call before she left to throw out the trash? Maybe he was the one calling her to come over. Premeditated perhaps, not just a crime of passion.

SEP 4, 2024
www.cbsnews.com

Man charged with misleading investigators in connection with missing Massachusetts woman

According to prosecutors, Flaz-Burgos was seen on surveillance video walking from her apartment to Montero's apartment. When she entered his apartment, she was allegedly seen on surveillance video texting and then making the sign of the cross. Two hours later, Montero was allegedly seen on surveillance video leaving his apartment with a wagon filled with clothes. During this time, prosecutors said data from Flaz-Burgos' cellphone showed the phone moving away from the apartment building.

Montero allegedly told police he parked his car near a barbershop in Lawrence but surveillance video never showed his car on the street or Montero in the barbershop.

Montero didn't kill her in his apartment? Sounds like she packed up some clothes... a roommate that previously moved out perhaps. I wonder what the cause of death was? What makes the police believe Montero killed her? Sounds like she left his apartment alive.

Montero didn't kill her in his apartment? Sounds like she packed up some clothes... a roommate that previously moved out perhaps. I wonder what the cause of death was? What makes the police believe Montero killed her? Sounds like she left his apartment alive.
She didn't pack any clothes according to the article, she went over there, and then HE was seen leaving with a "wagon filled with clothes". She was never seen on the surveillance video that recorded her arrival as ever leaving. I would bet her body was in that wagon, she's only a bit over 5 foot tall, covered with clothes, then wheeled out to be taken somewhere other than the crime scene.

We probably won't know the cause of death for a while, but once they have formal murder charges we will know they likely have the forensic ties. One thing stuck out in this article. He had to have an interpreter for the court. So he didn't speak English, which is probably why I couldn't find him in any official records for the state or county, he may be recently in the US. Video shows slain Lawrence mother going to neighbor's apartment but not leaving

SEP 4, 2024
Investigators viewing surveillance video from her 590 Broadway apartment saw the Lawrence mother of two enter the apartment. But they never saw her leave alive, a prosecutor said.

Later, after viewing 15 hours of surveillance tape, Montero was seen leaving the apartment pulling a "wagon" or "beach cart" that appeared "filled with clothes," according to an investigator's report.

Detectives searching the woman's cell phone data found movement at the same time Montero left this apartment with the wagon and were led to the nearby city of Haverhill, a prosecutor said.

Cristian Montero, 35, was held without bail during his arraignment in Lawrence District Court on Wednesday, the Globe wrote. He pleaded not guilty to the charge of witness intimidation and was ordered held without bail until a detention hearing on Sept.11.

SEP 5, 2024
The evening of Sept. 3, a Massachusetts State Police K-9 found Flaz-Burgos’ body near Kenoza Lake in a conservation area in Haverhill, about a 12-mile drive from where the mom was last seen, police said.

Officials said Montero was caught in a lie about his whereabouts when phone data pinged him in Haverhill, according to WFXT.

He’s now charged with witness intimidation and misleading an investigation, according to a news release from the Essex County District Attorney’s Office. An autopsy will help determine whether Montero will face an upgraded charge of murder, officials said.

SEP 5, 2024
The evening of Sept. 3, a Massachusetts State Police K-9 found Flaz-Burgos’ body near Kenoza Lake in a conservation area in Haverhill, about a 12-mile drive from where the mom was last seen, police said.

Officials said Montero was caught in a lie about his whereabouts when phone data pinged him in Haverhill, according to WFXT.

He’s now charged with witness intimidation and misleading an investigation, according to a news release from the Essex County District Attorney’s Office. An autopsy will help determine whether Montero will face an upgraded charge of murder, officials said.
"data from her cellphone showed it began moving away from the apartment building on Broadway at the same time Montero was seen leaving it "with a wagon, a beach cart, that appeared to be filled with clothes," prosecutors said. Her phone started moving toward Haverhill, where her body would later be found Tuesday." New details revealed on search for Lawrence mom found dead Tuesday

SEP 5, 2024
[...]

Hundreds of people came together at a vigil to remember 37-year-old Carol Flaz-Burgos, who disappeared from her Lawrence apartment building Saturday. ...

[...]

She was a person who took care of her family," said Flaz-Burgos' boss, Denise Vasquez.

She loved her job as a home health aide, Vasquez said, and her patients are devastated.

"All of her clients remember her as a lovely person," said Vasquez. "And she built a good relationship with all of them."

[...]

Boston 25 News reported Flaz was seen making the "sign of the cross" before going inside his home. Montero was allegedly seen coming out of his unit pushing a wagon with clothes.

"The moment that she walked into this office, she would light up the room. Always with a bright smile. I'm devastated, frustrated, angry," Flaz's coworker, Kendrys Vasquez, told WBZ-TV.

SEP 10, 2024
Following the results of an autopsy, prosecutors plan to bring a Lawrence man back to court to charge him with murder in the death of his neighbor.

Cristian Montero, 35, is charged with first-degree murder in connection with the death of 37-year-old Carol Flaz-Burgos, the district attorney’s office said.

Montero, Flaz-Burgos' neighbor, is due to face the murder charge at an arraignment in Lawrence District Court Wednesday afternoon.

Christian Montero, 35, was previously arraigned on charges of witness intimidation and misleading an investigation.

SEP 11, 2024
A 35-year-old man who now faces a murder charge in connection with the death of a Lawrence woman pleaded not guilty during a brief arraignment Wednesday afternoon.

... Prosecutors filed the murder charge against Montero on Tuesday.

"There are details that have not been made known to the public," prosecutor Jessica Fleet told the judge as she asked for the entire record to be sealed in the case, citing an open investigation. The judge granted the motion - and as a result, family members did not learn how Flaz was allegedly killed.

Prosecutors said that, in two different interviews, he said he drove to a barbershop, parking on Trenton Street, but never went in because he was feeling sick. But city cameras showed he didn't park on Trenton Street at the time, and data from his cellphone allegedly shows him in Haverhill when he said he was parked in Lawrence.

SEP 11, 2024
Montero, represented by attorney Chris Norris, was ordered held without bail and is scheduled to return to court Oct. 16 for a probable cause hearing. Assistant District Attorney Jessica Fleet handled the arraignment for the district attorney’s office. and Assistant District Attorney Jessica Strasnick will prosecute the murder case.

A Lawrence man who is charged with killing a woman who lived in his apartment building was arrested in 2022 after he was accused of assaulting a woman he was in a relationship with at the time.

Cristian Montero, then 34, was charged with assault and battery on a household member following the Dec. 11, 2022 incident. ....

(More details at the link)

I really wonder what she saw in his home that made her make the "sign of the cross"; and then to never leave alive? How terribly sad!
That is a piece of the puzzle that is very curious, isn’t it, the sign of the cross. What did it mean?

Is she a religious person? That’s the kind of sign of the cross I think of, the “In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit” said while touching one’s forehead, chest, left shoulder, and right shoulder, in that order.

But I thought of another type, after reading it said this way in this article. It says she “made the sign of the cross over her chest”. That made me picture the type where one makes closer to like an “x” on one’s chest, as in “Cross my heart”, with the meaning I promise, or I’m being sincere.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jboo1119
Back