GUILTY MA - Colleen Ritzer, 24, brutally murdered, Danvers, 22 Oct 2013 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
allison manningVerified account ‏@allymanning 1m1 minute ago
Regan asks about adolescents ability to make "considered judgments" and reflecting on options and consequences

Rupa Shenoy ‏@RupaShenoy 2m2 minutes ago
Juveniles are on ave more impulsive, more likely to take risks, Kinscherff confirms.

This ^^^^ really bothers me. Sure, juveniles make poor choices, and take risks--maybe they smoke pot and drive too fast, maybe steal Mom's car for a joyride---but raping and killing a teacher? That is not a 'risky choice.' That is known by any teen to be dead wrong.

I thought Dr Kinscherff was very powerful. Went through a number of possible diagnoses and why PC didn't fit the criteria for each one. As a lawyer and a psychologist he was able to tie videos to show no psychosis and how PC behavior showed he was aware of criminality and wrongfulness of actions. There really wasn't anything for the defense to cross examine him on.

Great strategy for the prosecution. Using an expert that usually works with the defense, very credible. And this is the last thing the jurors heard and they have all day tomorrow to think about it.

Dr. Kinscherff was a great witness for the prosecution. It seems like it was really bad for the defense to have him walk through awful detail after awful detail of the crime with visuals and commentary, reminding the jury of how merciless he was to Colleen, even after her death. IMHO, defense just looks desperate when she asks witness after witness about brain scans.

I would think that from the test results, the prosecution witness/doctors testifying, the brain scan really would not be that important as the tests, videos, interviews, testimony showed that the murderer knew right from wrong. There was nothing wrong with his brain such as a tumor or head injury. Yes, the murderers brain is still developing and may be different from an adults due to growing, but it would not show any thing that would say he was mentally ill. jmo and that is how I would look at it if I was on the jury.

Dr. Kinscherff's testimony clinched it I think. He was very thorough!

Dr. Kinscherff was a great witness for the prosecution. It seems like it was really bad for the defense to have him walk through awful detail after awful detail of the crime with visuals and commentary, reminding the jury of how merciless he was to Colleen, even after her death. IMHO, defense just looks desperate when she asks witness after witness about brain scans.

If I was a juror I would be wondering why the defense didn't order brain scans since they keep bringing it up but not showing any. Why would the prosecution order them if all of their experts said PC didn't have psychosis or schizophrenia? I think this is bad strategy for the defense but at this point Regan is going for appeal issues, I think she is resigned to PC being found guilty.

This may have been answered earlier....if found guilty, since he is tried as an adult, but age wise a minor, what type of jail would he go to, with the system knowing he already has attacked a female again.

Thanks

I am curious about this as well. There was a little discussion (without the jury present) about where he will go if found insane. They don't want him back at the facility where he attacked the staff and they don't have the security required. The adult mental health facility doesn't accept adolescents and will need a court order to take him.

I haven't heard anything about what prison he would go to. That should come up if he is found guilty instead of insane. Judge will have to sentence him to somewhere.

Dr. Kinscherff's testimony clinched it I think. He was very thorough!

I agree. His strong testimony sounded like a stunning conclusion to the Prosecution's symphony about evil PC. At this point, the Jury probably wishes the dark music would just stop playing and this trial would end. Pity them, they haven't heard the sentencing encore yet regarding his second attack. I suggest a quick guilty verdict will be issued by the Jury like the recent Becky Watts murder case. Humiliation and overkill seem to emotionally affect some Jurors allowing them to make quicker decisions.

My sense -- based on nothing but my intuitions about human nature and my experiences in business negotiations -- is that the defense was hoping to sneak some things in at the last minute precisely because they felt that they had the leverage to do so since the judge and ADA wouldn't want to risk derailing the trial for too long at the 11th hour. Seems to me as if the defense was counting on the judge giving them lots of leeway so as not to leave even a hint of a whisper of 'unfair trial' to avoid being reversed down the road, and that the prosecution could do nothing but complain. I hope that these things can come back to bite them in future trials. Unfair dealing may be a reasonable strategy in a one-off situation, but when a relationship is not strictly transactional, over time, it hurts more than it helps. That's why I always, always negotiate fairly and with integrity, no matter what the other party is doing. :moo:

Perhaps their bar has a lot of antagonism between defense attorneys and prosecutors. In my area, the criminal litigation attorneys have a professional collegiality because they keep interacting with one another over time. It only hurts yourself to play dirty, because word spreads and you're going to have to be up against those same attorneys again. Perhaps their area is different, but I have been very surprised by the defense actions. In my area, this would go over like a lead balloon and earn you a very poor reputation. :twocents:

I'm watching the testimony now. This is, I think, the first time we were shown the videos of PC with the recycling bin because I think when those were shown previously, cameras had been temporarily banished. The witness is very credible sounding.

I thought the ADA was clever in the way she questioned him about the way CR's body was found. She was effective in highlighting how atrocious the crime was -- for one reason if CR was alive when attacked in the woods, and for another if she was not.

Perhaps their bar has a lot of antagonism between defense attorneys and prosecutors. In my area, the criminal litigation attorneys have a professional collegiality because they keep interacting with one another over time. It only hurts yourself to play dirty, because word spreads and you're going to have to be up against those same attorneys again. Perhaps their area is different, but I have been very surprised by the defense actions. In my area, this would go over like a lead balloon and earn you a very poor reputation. :twocents:

I asked a good friend of mine who is a public defender in Worcester, MA about 70 miles away about her feelings toward the DA's office. She said that she would die of the tension and stress if she maintained a dislike of all the people she comes up against at trial. She said that she and most of her colleagues admire and appreciate competence on the other side and are often collegial/friendly, especially since so many things are plea bargained, which requires people on both sides to be sane and sensible. (she also added that her own clients are often much more frustrating to her than the court or the prosecution).

Thank goodness there was video of PC in the school on that day. Proves beyond any doubt that this was a planned murder and sex assault.

As always thank you for so much for keeping up with everything.

yes, thanks Jacct, AnaTeresa and others -- this is a great group and a very well-moderated thread. I wish things were always so interesting and informative and well-moderated.

It has been a pleasure to follow this trial with the excellent work from jacct! Thank you for your hard work.

I can only agree! Jacct, AnaTeresa and others have been providing so much valuable and interesting insight. I have learned a lot.

I want to thank Jacct, Anateresa, and any other good people who have added to this message board. I have learned quite a bit and am thankful. I know we all want Justice for Colleen and it is coming soon. Philip Chism will pay for his vile acts.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CMW0203
Back