GUILTY MA - Conrad Roy, 18, urged by friend, commits suicide, Fairhaven, 13 July 2014 #2 *guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Outside court, Roy’s family said they were happy justice is finally being served after a more than four-year ordeal.

Michelle Carter at Bristol County House of Corrections (Image from Bristol County Sheriff)

“This has been a four-year ordeal for our family. It’s been four and a half years since Conrad passed, so our heart has been broken this whole time,” Roy’s aunt Becki Maki said.

Judge Orders Michelle Carter To Start Serving Sentence In Texting Suicide Case

Michelle doesn't look very happy in this picture. I am sure she is not looking forward to her time in Jail or is it Prison? It has been a long time coming for Conrads family. It is not much time to serve for what she did. In a case like this for the first time it is a good start. I hope people will realize they can't get away with talking or coaching someone into suicide. imo

Outside court, Roy’s family said they were happy justice is finally being served after a more than four-year ordeal.

Michelle Carter at Bristol County House of Corrections (Image from Bristol County Sheriff)

“This has been a four-year ordeal for our family. It’s been four and a half years since Conrad passed, so our heart has been broken this whole time,” Roy’s aunt Becki Maki said.

Judge Orders Michelle Carter To Start Serving Sentence In Texting Suicide Case

Michelle doesn't look very happy in this picture. I am sure she is not looking forward to her time in Jail or is it Prison? It has been a long time coming for Conrads family. It is not much time to serve for what she did. In a case like this for the first time it is a good start. I hope people will realize they can't get away with talking or coaching someone into suicide. imo
To me, it adds and sets an example to the issue of cyber bullying, not to mention your civil duties in life to do the right thing and save someone’s life if you can. These kids need to be shown that this is serious! It isn’t funny. It’s not a joke. It’s someone’s life. And it isn’t about YOU (meaning the teen offender).

To me, it adds and sets an example to the issue of cyber bullying, not to mention your civil duties in life to do the right thing and save someone’s life if you can. These kids need to be shown that this is serious! It isn’t funny. It’s not a joke. It’s someone’s life. And it isn’t about YOU (meaning the teen offender).

I totally agree and I see it as a form of cyber bullying also. She took it and ran with it. She saw someone weaker than herself and used Conrad as a puppet to destroy him. It makes me sick to my stomach and so very sad what she did to Conrad and his family. He needed help and she could have helped him. Instead she destroyed him.

Michelle wanted attention the only thing, all she has got is negative attention. I hope she is happy now, in her sick way. jmo imo

I really think this is a win for attention and funding for mental illness. We and Gov Baker have an opportunity to set the stage for reforms regarding treatment and insurance coverage pertaining not only to mental illness but also for addiction treatment which is also looked down on by the healthcare industry. For that reason I think that a Federal appeal will defer to the state's decision.
Having said that, people must be held accountable for their actions. Michelle.

Web Extra: Judge Orders Michelle Carter To Start Serving Sentence In Texting Suicide Case

Michelle Carter, 22, is taken into custody to start her 15 month prison sentence for manslaughter after encouraging her boyfriend via text messages to kill himself
  • Michelle Carter, 22, was taken into custody in Massachusetts on Monday to start her 15 month sentence for manslaughter
  • Carter was convicted in 2017 of causing her boyfriend Conrad Roy III's death after she encouraged him via text to kill himself in 2014
  • A judge had allowed her to remain free while she appealed but a Massachusetts' highest court upheld her manslaughter conviction last week
  • Carter, who was sporting a new cropped hair cut, showed no discernible emotion as she was taken into custody
Carter's lawyer had urged the judge to allow the young woman to stay out of jail while they take her case to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Her attorneys said in court documents that she has no prior criminal record, hasn't tried to flee, and has been receiving mental health treatment.

But a judge ruled on Monday that she should start her sentence.

Carter, who was sporting a new cropped hair cut, showed no discernible emotion as she was taken into custody but her shoulders did sag as she stood and prepared to be led away.

Earlier in the day, Massachusetts' highest court denied an emergency motion filed by her lawyers to keep her out of jail.

Carter was 17 when her 18-year-old boyfriend took his own life in Fairhaven, a town on Massachusetts' south coast in July 2014.
Michelle Carter is taken into custody to start her 15 month sentence | Daily Mail Online

ETA: She delayed justice long enough. Serve your time missy..

Ahhh, the sweet sound of the click of handcuffs! :D

Michelle Carter Sent to Jail for Sending Texts to Teen Boyfriend Urging Him to Kill Himself

The judge ordered her 15-month sentence to begin after a Massachusetts court rejected her appeal in the 2014 suicide of Conrad Roy III
[...]
Deputies put handcuffs on the Massachusetts woman, now 22, on Monday in Taunton District Court after Bristol County Juvenile Court Judge Lawrence Moniz withdrew the suspended sentence that had allowed Carter to remain free while her 2017 conviction was appealed, reports NECN.com, WPRI and the Boston Globe.

Mass. Woman Sent to Jail for Sending Texts to Teen Boyfriend Urging Him to Kill Himself

15 months is such a short time to pay for her actions. I am quite sure this will not be the last we hear of MC as I predict this is only the beginning.
You're probably right -- and prison certainly won't make her better. She's got a screw loose.
Involuntary Manslaughter, my toenail.

Welcome to Websleuths, BOSCOE !!

Had she owned up to her actions four years ago she possibly could have already been out of jail.
This is true and she could have served it in Juvenile had they agreed to a speedy trial and not done all that pretrial delay. Her legal team wasn't serving her - they are in it for the precedent setting notoriety. Now she has to serve it in grown-up jail.

I was hoping for prison time. She'll have it much easier in the county jail. At least she'll be doing some time.

Michelle is going to prison not county jail but I do believe she will be in medium security or less and not the in with the real bad girls. Obviously she is being watched in the medical part where she will be isolated from others. As of late yesterday when I checked she still was not entered in the system and I will check more today.

As far as her looking mad of course she is as she never thought she would go to prison. The longer this went on which was way to long the more a prison sentence seemed like it would never happen. High caliber defense and she had 4 1/2 years free.

I also thought Judge Moniz was retiring right after he previously sentenced her but there he was yesterday and he should have never allowed her free during appeals. JMO

This is true and she could have served it in Juvenile had they agreed to a speedy trial and not done all that pretrial delay. Her legal team wasn't serving her - they are in it for the precedent setting notoriety. Now she has to serve it in grown-up jail.

Definitely some bad advice for her all the way around. It must have cost her family a fortune to keep this legal circus going on as long as it did. Although this is a particularly heinous case, I'd say it's very easy to screw up as a teenager and become entangled with law enforcement. That's when it's time for the parents and attorneys to step up and read the riot act to the offender.

There has to be some major dysfunction in this family's dynamic to put her, themselves and the victim's family through all of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
centinel