GUILTY MA - Conrad Roy, 18, urged by friend, commits suicide, Fairhaven, 13 July 2014 #2 *guilty*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is such a deeply troubling case at so many levels...
Do the girls' parents seem equally disturbed?

Hmm, I want to be careful and not violate forum rules about blaming family members for the actions of their children but I do wonder about this one. I get the feeling there were some pretty weird family dynamics going on given the fact she was sending thousands of text messages to this one guy alone plus all the attention seeking behavior. Maybe I'm not hip to the way kids are communicating these days or current accepted child rearing practices but the whole thing is very odd at first glance.

Who knows, maybe the parents were just working their behinds off trying to make a living like the rest of us while the girl ran wild, living in her make believe world and wrecking everything in her path.

:confused:

Piney, i meant do we know if the parents exhibit any similar behavior?

I've no idea but that gets into accusing the parents of similar conduct or allowing it which isn't fair. Touchy stuff and since I'm relatively new here I'm trying to be judicious in my comments.

Also as I mentioned on the first thread.

She wrote about suicide prevention often on her social media accounts.

On Sept. 10, 2014, she posted on her Twitter page: “National Suicide Awareness day, I wish more people understood. I love you and miss you everyday Conrad. Help others #WeCanEndSuicide.” She retweeted the link to a suicide prevention hotline on Sept. 21, 2014.

That is as disgusting as the bouquet of fresh violets that Jodi sent to the grieving Grandmother.

bbm
While it's possible, I suppose, (and we do tend to think the worst here.), There have been many equally depraved killers who never re-offended... Karla Homolka was far, far worse than MC, she even made a video in which she talked about how much she "enjoyed" raping and killing her little sister! (http://mascaramurder.blogspot.ca/2012/03/karla-homolka-and-fireside-chat.html) yet now she's married, ( she married the brother of her defense attorney, oddly enough!), has kids and lives a seemingly "normal" life...

It's a call, no one can really make. I do agree with you at a gut level though, this kind of Evil being loose in the world a very scary thought.

I understand your point and kind of agree, in principle.
But with Karla, are we CERTAIN she is living a normal, regular healthy life. I have thought about her when hearing about her raising her children.
Does she have a daughter? What happens when she starts noticing how much she looks like, sounds like, reminds her of her little sister, who she helped rape and kill?

How does she deal with and process those thoughts/feelings/memories?

And what about her new husband, and her brotherinlaw? Does it ever flash into their minds when they leave for a business trip, and see Mom alone with the kids ?

I just wonder how everyone comes back from something like that.

I understand your point and kind of agree, in principle.
But with Karla, are we CERTAIN she is living a normal, regular healthy life. I have thought about her when hearing about her raising her children.
Does she have a daughter? What happens when she starts noticing how much she looks like, sounds like, reminds her of her little sister, who she helped rape and kill?

How does she deal with and process those thoughts/feelings/memories?

And what about her new husband, and her brotherinlaw? Does it ever flash into their minds when they leave for a business trip, and see Mom alone with the kids ?

I just wonder how everyone comes back from something like that.

Oh, and I am not comparing this teen on trial to KH. Just saying that once someone does something really cold, callous and gruesome, it stays with them and those closest to them, for many years...

Thank you for the explanation of suicide laws in Massachusetts. I will be honest, I still am not clear on how it can be illegal and unlawful to assist or aid in a suicide (common law), but is not unlawful or illegal because there is no statute against assisting or aiding in a suicide.

This may be a dumb question (I think it might be), but is it the court chosen which reflects which law is used (common law or statute)? In other words, is common law not applicable in this court and only statute? Are they separate (common law vs statutes)? (I'm sorry, I just don't really grasp this, maybe it's because it's from my point of view in believing a loved one could aid me to go off myself via words, actions, inferences (as was done), that I think it's a loophole to hiding killing someone (and if done by a sociopath/psychopath, their coaxing and encouragement would have a benefit to that sociopath/psychopath).

This case is heading toward violins and big puppy dog eyes with giant tears for Michelle I assume. Based on focusing on her bullied past, her psychotropic meds causing havoc in rational thinking. She will be the victim of her meds and peers who snubbed her, and perhaps some family members and even the pet dog (if she has one) who didn't wag its tail. "Her meds made her do it", "Her depression and her own suicidal thoughts made her do it", "Her seeing suicide as "freedom" and "peace" made her do it". "She, herself, was mentally ill and in need of help." All speculation and opinion and I would say there will probably be some statement released (I am guessing) that will say: "She is on suicide watch".

As for sociopaths and why and how. My belief is that it has nothing to do with parenting (in regard to their lack of or zero empathy). They exist in great numbers and come from all socioeconomic groups. They are not a "rare breed" out there, with only the ones that mess up making the news. They are so brilliant in mimicry and manipulation, those who are caught are the exceptions.

My belief in sociopaths/psychopaths (who are many) is that those who have EMPATHY (who are few) are the rarest breeds of all. If you have empathy, true empathy, YOU are the jewel. Empathic peoples of the world are the minority--and a small one getting smaller and smaller. The majority, the sociopathic/psychopathic members of society (at all levels) have no idea how or why or what an empathic individual "feels". Of course, this is my opinion.

As for the outcome of the trial, I think she'll get away with a slight slap on the hand, if that.

And there will be a movie made about this story, no doubt, which makes one wonder, how much $ will she make from this story?

That is as disgusting as the bouquet of fresh violets that Jodi sent to the grieving Grandmother.

"Help someone" - no one needs her kind of help regarding suicide. What a thoughtless message from her [emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, I just realized Conrad Roy had just been hired as a boat captain for Boston Duck Tours. At the age of 18 too. That's a pretty good gig for an 18 year old. That position could have led to some great things for him in the future.

What a terrible thing she did to this vulnerable young man.

I can clearly remember age 18 and being just a little too wrapped up in a significant other. Guys that age can all too often torpedo their lives by taking relationships way too seriously. Add in this guy's previous mental issues and a lunatic girl, poor guy didn't stand a chance by himself. I know it's armchair quarterbacking but perhaps a strong, mature male figure in his life might have helped.

I agree and have said all along with the right guidance this most likely would have never happened.
Conrad was accepted to Fitchburg State, captains license at a young age but he was in a bad spot at the time.
I hold Michelle very very responsible for his death. My opinion.

Wow, I just realized Conrad Roy had just been hired as a boat captain for Boston Duck Tours. At the age of 18 too. That's a pretty good gig for an 18 year old. That position could have led to some great things for him in the future.

What a terrible thing she did to this vulnerable young man.

I can clearly remember age 18 and being just a little too wrapped up in a significant other. Guys that age can all too often torpedo their lives by taking relationships way too seriously. Add in this guy's previous mental issues and a lunatic girl, poor guy didn't stand a chance by himself. I know it's armchair quarterbacking but perhaps a strong, mature male figure in his life might have helped.

Considering the strong male influence, wasn't it his Father Conrad Roy Jr who influenced his career choice and the major influence in obtaining his Captain's licence at such a young age.? Seems to me that working with his Grandfather, Father and uncles so closely was quite helpful, but it doesn't trump mental illness, IMO.

JMO

I wonder how she got that way. Often there are reasons a person twists into such evil.

I wonder about her parents and family life. After watching the other girls she went to school with and hearing about her literally begging and pleading with them to talk to her and hang out which it seems hanging out did not happen often, I think she was lonely at home too. Also, she didn't have a car and needed rides and I wonder why she didn't have a car. Could her parents not afford it? She was involved in so many extracurricular activities I would think she could have used a family car if they couldn't get her her own. I have to say though, I just have a feeling that the home life wasn't great and that may have helped form her attention seeking behavior. JMO

Oooh. I didn't know about those. She knew she had done wrong. No doubt.
She also texted him reminding him to delete their text conversation before killing himself.

What I noticed is that she only wanted to be part of the cool clique. I am sure she had the ability and the opportunity to make plenty of friends but didn't want to.

I wonder about her parents and family life. After watching the other girls she went to school with and hearing about her literally begging and pleading with them to talk to her and hang out which it seems hanging out did not happen often, I think she was lonely at home too. Also, she didn't have a car and needed rides and I wonder why she didn't have a car. Could her parents not afford it? She was involved in so many extracurricular activities I would think she could have used a family car if they couldn't get her her own. I have to say though, I just have a feeling that the home life wasn't great and that may have helped form her attention seeking behavior. JMO

Teen who faces 20 years behind bars 'for encouraging friend to kill himself' goes to Disney World and prom ahead of manslaughter trial

<snip>
"A teenager who allegedly encouraged her friend to kill himself last year has enjoyed her senior prom and a trip to Disney World while awaiting her manslaughter trial, it has emerged.

Michelle Carter's mother, Gail Carter, has been posting images to her daughter's social media pages showing her on trips and hanging out with friends - activities her alleged victim, 18-year-old Conrad Roy III, will never get to do, his aunt has said.

'We will never see him enjoy these milestones,' Becki Maki told the Boston Herald.

'To see her awaiting her manslaughter trial on a trip to Disney World with her friends, going to school competitions and going off to prom - it just seems like she doesn't understand the gravity of the actions that have led to the case against her.' "

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...m-ahead-manslaughter-trial.html#ixzz4jhcxvUPS

She's ordered not to use Social Media so her mother supposedly updates it for her. (yeah)
She's so deeply affected she is treated to Disney World.
I wonder how prom went for her.

This has been discussed I'm sure but for my own curiosity....

Manslaughter is the killing of one human being by another that is not premeditated. In Massachusetts, involuntary manslaughter occurs when someone unintentionally causes the death of another person, when the defendant was engaging in some type of reckless conduct or while committing a serious battery upon another person.

I do believe she was engaging in reckless conduct by her constant suggestions of suicide.
How much more reckless can someone be, actually. That said, I see the attorneys on this thread do anticipate a more favorable ruling.

Is that based on simple personal responsibility in that, no matter what, we all have free will to decide our actions? As in Conrad "could" have stayed out of the car when he escaped rather than going back in as ordered by her?

This is a hard one for me. She is an evil person, fundamentally broken, IMO, who did cause his suicide, at least on that day.. However, I can kind of see the flip side.

Tragic all the way around.

http://statelaws.findlaw.com/massac...ry-manslaughter-and-motor-vehicle-homicid.htl

ETA--- apologize if my post doesn't make much sense. I know what I was trying to say but not sure if it came out in a thoughtful and coherent manner.

Now I'm wondering why just manslaughter since what she did was premeditated, IMO.

I have been reading this thread gain today. I initially felt like she was atrocious, but just as mentally ill and while responsible for her actions maybe not guilty. I'm now leaning less toward innocence and more towards guilt. She really did push him into this; even if she snapped and thought "screw it, I'm tired of trying to encourage him, let him commit suicide".
In the beginning I wondered where on earth her parents were during this time. But, let's be clear. She was involved in many, many extra-curricular activites. Even volunteering at camp. As a parent of a 20 year old and 13 year old I have to say that would appear like normal teenage behavior. We know they got her help for a possible suicide attempt & eating disorder. In-patient as well as therapy. Sooo, it sounds like she appeared as normal as most teenagers. Aside from the hospitalization. I'm not sure her parents would have been suspicious of her encouraging someone to commit suicide. I know I would NEVER think that of my teenagers either. Especially with her activities and being pretty extroverted. Sounds like she participated in those and was at home, not out running the roads. I'm not sure what more they could have done for her. I'm not sure that she displayed any behavior her parents would have deemed dangerous to others. AND they still have to raise her they can't put her in a room, lock the door & tell her she can't have fun again or have any friends bc she is guilty of manslaughter. I wouldn't do that if my child did this. I can't stand this girl but I can't place blame on her parents either. I don't know these ppl, just MOO.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Teen who faces 20 years behind bars 'for encouraging friend to kill himself' goes to Disney World and prom ahead of manslaughter trial

<snip>
"A teenager who allegedly encouraged her friend to kill himself last year has enjoyed her senior prom and a trip to Disney World while awaiting her manslaughter trial, it has emerged.

Michelle Carter's mother, Gail Carter, has been posting images to her daughter's social media pages showing her on trips and hanging out with friends - activities her alleged victim, 18-year-old Conrad Roy III, will never get to do, his aunt has said.

'We will never see him enjoy these milestones,' Becki Maki told the Boston Herald.

'To see her awaiting her manslaughter trial on a trip to Disney World with her friends, going to school competitions and going off to prom - it just seems like she doesn't understand the gravity of the actions that have led to the case against her.' "

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...m-ahead-manslaughter-trial.html#ixzz4jhcxvUPS

She's ordered not to use Social Media so her mother supposedly updates it for her. (yeah)
She's so deeply affected she is treated to Disney World.
I wonder how prom went for her.

I don't think she'll get much more than a lecture and a slap on the wrist in criminal court. HOWEVER, if the decedents parents took this case to civil court, I believe they have the chance to secure a settlement. While this will never bring their child back, it would exact painful punishment that the criminal court most likely can't.

I think garnishing any and all income this woman makes for the rest of her life (and by extension her parents) is a suitable punishment. Let's all relish for a moment in that thought. I hope the boys parents take this action. Nothing like a little wake up call to someone's bank account. She can trade her prom dress for a pizza delivery outfit. Sound good?

All amateur speculation and opinion

I believe this Judge will find her guilty and this will set a legal precedent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
missingjustice89