Found Deceased MA - Jaimee Mendez, 25, Swampscott, 6 Nov 2014 - #1 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Traps remain in the water more or less continuously in season. I find it far moe plausible to have pulled on out of the water, used it, and threw it back in, probably detaching the identifying buoy so that the next time the owner came through, he wouldn't pull it up and find its contents.

Traps remain in the water more or less continuously in season. I find it far moe plausible to have pulled on out of the water, used it, and threw it back in, probably detaching the identifying buoy so that the next time the owner came through, he wouldn't pull it up and find its contents.

Does diving ever take place there, to deal with the traps or otherwise?

People dive recreationally, such as one of my family members used to go scuba diving to look for random treasures and whatnot, and he'd grab a few lobster off the seabed for dinner while down there, but no, it's not a heavy diving area by any means. And especially not in November.

Lobster traps aren't that valuable, and since they are always attached to their owner's ID buoys, there's no need to dive for them. If one were lost from its buoy, as I am sure happens often enough if, say, a boat runs over the line or whatever (been there, done that), I don't think most people would even dream of diving for it, most because how in the world would you know where it went to dive for it? Plus it's just not all THAT expensive to be worth the time and effort... using that couple hours to catch and sell more lobster would more than pay for the lost pot... As seen in this situation exactly, they are subject to movement on the seabed, and the buoy is how one finds them.

PS I say "the lobster trap from ITS pot" because (and I'm not an expert, although I have been in the harbor with people pulling their traps), most of the ones in the harbor that I am aware of are single pots on buoys. Big-time lobsters lay lines of several traps all connected to one another, but I don't believe there is much of that in Swampscott harbor. There are plenty of lobsterers who fish from there, but the immediate harbor isn't some lobster haven with big, big catches.

I would tend to agree with you, however the traps are their livelihoods, and they know where the traps are dropped, how many buoys, etc. If a buoy were missing it would most likely be reported as vandalism/theft/whatever, and the harbormaster would, have a report. Hopefully local LE have inquired with the harbormaster.

Here is a picture from Pinterest uploaded by a photographer 13 weeks ago of traps washed up on shore. The photographer may be uploading a picture taken previously, so there's no certainty that the date of upload is the date the picture was taken.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/462041242994857001/

Here is another picture uploaded by an individual to Pinterest 21 weeks ago, which puts it some time in September. Photo caption reads, "lobster pots. Fishermans Beach in Swamscott MA had them piled up like that when I was a kid." So if this date is correct (and again, no certainty, but I tend to think an individual, not a professional photographer, may be more likely to post a pic closer to date it was taken) showing that stacks of pots/traps during the season do happen. Traps stacked on shore do not have buoys attached.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/337558934544471718/

Sure they definitely do wash ashore, and yes, as I mentioned there are still some stored in the parking lot of Fisherman's Beach. However, as you noted, these are their livelihood, and are generally shained together and not easily there, free for the taking. Plus you're under the immediate view (in that storage area) of every car passing by within 10-15 feet of you on one of the two the busiest streets in town, with a couple restaurants directly across the street, apartments above, a whole set of condos to the right (still within view) and a whoe hillside of homes with huge picture windows going up immediately from the other side of the street. Not the place to start cuttings chains and cables and stealing things (but not impossible). I would say it would be likely that if a pot were stolen from a storage site, it was probably not there. The lynn marinas are far more removed from the roadside (i.e., out of view) and not in heavily populated areas, and might be a better spot to steal one, if you were so inclined. I have no idea if or how many people are storing pots there, though. Or you could find one that had washed up, but growing up in in Swampscott and also spending time living in the town next door, I can assure you that it's not like every time you go to th ebeach you find a washed-up pot. They DO wash up, but rarely, and most often in droves (as in your picture) after a big storm event.

This is the view from the pier in fall. See all the houses looking down on you? And the restaurants are just hiding behind those dories (as are the stored pots, so dories - pots - one row of parking - sidewalk-street-restaurants)

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3234/3032284819_7213fa67d9_z.jpg

Actually, looking back, you can see some pots stored in the pic, even. Look on the right at the chartruse colored overturned dory that looks like an arrow. Just to the back and right of it is a stack of pots. It's not a maze of lobster pot storage there by any stretch of the imagination.

I can assure you that the area of Fisherman's Beach between 6 and 10PM on any night of the week is excessively busy. Cars, buses, joggers, dog-walkers, everyone and their mother.

Here is an aerial view of it. When there is lobster pot storage, the row of parking closer to the water is the place used, but they just aren't storing them there like they used to. A few? sure. Not stacks and stacks.
and you can see what I mean about how close it is to the road. You're in everyone's business standing there.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Fish...sherman's+bea&hnear=Fishermans+Beach&t=h&z=19

Isn't it possible that the lobster traps weren't used as a weight, but instead just happened to get tangled up with her body during the storm? Since her body washed ashore after lobster season, I'm trying to determine the likelihood of this....

Here is an aerial view of it. When there is lobster pot storage, the row of parking closer to the water is the place used, but they just aren't storing them there like they used to. A few? sure. Not stacks and stacks.
and you can see what I mean about how close it is to the road. You're in everyone's business standing there.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Fish...sherman's+bea&hnear=Fishermans+Beach&t=h&z=19

I wonder if we will ever know where the traps the remains were near (entangled in?) came from. There are plenty of places in Massachusetts/NH in which to obtain a lobster trap, or a boat, that are within the few hours time frame after her last call to a friend for help.

I agree. It could come from anywhere. The only thing I'm reasonably confident saying is that she was very likely put into the water right in that area. The way the bay is so closed in by Nahant on one side and all sorts of small capes and points and whatnot on the other, it's just not making sense to me that she would have traveled too far from the original place she went into the water (when I say "too far" I mean from the side of lynn on the other side of Nahant, for example, or anywhere beyond Marblehead, and I find even that exceedingly unlikely)

So that being said, it seems odd to drive to NH, Salem, Gloucester, Beverly, or wherever else for the purpose of procuring a stolen lobster pot only to drive back to within .5 mile of the Rite Aid to throw it into the water? I mean if throwing her into the water is the end plan, and you went to (just pulling a place from thin air) Newburyport to steal a lobster pot, why not just finish the job right then and there? To return makes no sense. After all, any place you steal a pot from is going to also be a seaside community.

And yes, it's entirely possible she simply got entangled in the pot and wasn't actually put inside it (which, by the way, based on the size of lobster pots would almost certainly imply dismemberment)

Oh, and many pots have some kind of ownership ID on them. Seems like a lot of work to steal one, de-identify it, and all the rest. I really do think she just got tangled up in it, personally. I've only been discussing the lobster pot angle because people seemed to want to.

Isn't it possible that the lobster traps weren't used as a weight, but instead just happened to get tangled up with her body during the storm? Since her body washed ashore after lobster season, I'm trying to determine the likelihood of this....

Yes, that is certainly possible. Likelihood? I have no idea. I'm not at all sure how a skull would come to be near a lobster trap when both items wash ashore. But possibilities do come to mind. MOO.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2015/01/skull_found_at_swampscott_shore

I wonder if we will ever know where the traps the remains were near (entangled in?) came from. There are plenty of places in Massachusetts/NH in which to obtain a lobster trap, or a boat, that are within the few hours time frame after her last call to a friend for help.

Maybe there's somebody with expertise who could make a rough determination of what may have occurred in terms of the storm, based on the swells, wind speed, tide, coastline, ocean floor or whatever they'd factor in. I would think she could not have been too far from the coast, or that horseshoe the beach forms, but have no way of knowing, just a guess. I recall her mom in a facebook post mentioning that Jaimee was tied to the pots like bait. Here it is
"I wonder if she was still alive when he tied her to those lobster traps and threw her out in the ocean to be lobster bait.."

That may tell us something. Entangled and tying would leave a different kind of evidence, I would think.

The currents run north to south, so not too likely that she was put in anywhere south of Swampscott. MOO.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_szCdjOtFk...Frm8N6I/s1600/gomcurrents_summer_sites_01.jpg

http://penobscotbay.blogspot.com/2011/06/gulf-of-maine-will-offshore-wind.html

http://penobscotbay.blogspot.com/2011/06/penobscot-bay-watch-to-us-doe-on.html

"I wonder if she was still alive when he tied her to those lobster traps and threw her out in the ocean to be lobster bait.."

That quote is stomach churning.

Oh, and many pots have some kind of ownership ID on them. Seems like a lot of work to steal one, de-identify it, and all the rest. I really do think she just got tangled up in it, personally. I've only been discussing the lobster pot angle because people seemed to want to.

I am making no assumption the traps were de-identified.

The currents run north to south, so not too likely that she was put in anywhere south of Swampscott. MOO.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_szCdjOtFk...Frm8N6I/s1600/gomcurrents_summer_sites_01.jpg

http://penobscotbay.blogspot.com/2011/06/gulf-of-maine-will-offshore-wind.html

http://penobscotbay.blogspot.com/2011/06/penobscot-bay-watch-to-us-doe-on.html

That quote is stomach churning.

Why on earth a mom should ever wonder that is beyond me? Much more than my heart breaks thinking of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Superman221