DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is the road to Lincoln.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Way to Lincoln.jpg
    Way to Lincoln.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 208
Hello, everyone! I have been away from this thread for a long time, but can't get this mystery out of my head!!! Any new theories!?

Hello, everyone!! I have been away from this thread for a long time, but can't get it out of my head as it has always intrigued me. I am trying to brush up on things. Any new theories? Didn't she have a visit from someone; dry cleaner? Wasn't she near a military base? Could someone from there break into her house, perhaps? Didn't a highschool girl see a car parked there at the time of her disappearance? I still feel like someone targeted her. Could the quick attempt to clean up the bloop been by the child since she thought it was paint? Did the child hang the phone on the trash can thinking she was helping throw it away?.......

Bethena, hi and welcome back. A lot of your questions were covered in previous pages.Happy Reading!:)

I am a local and yes, Hanscom AFB would be very close to Old Bedford Road...there has been talk over the years about this possibility. Your questions about the clean up and placing the phone in the trash can by Lillian Risch may have been possible. I would have hoped LE would have asked her or Mrs. Barker about it...

Thanks!!! I got really caught up in this case and decided I better let it go for awhile! I checked back in and saw some new posts, so trying to refresh myself. I have been going over some of the posts that are new to me. I like to challenge my brain, but this is the the most confusing case I have tried to make heads or tails of...........I feel like someone knew her patterns and targeted her. If I could know the answer to one unsolved case, this would be it.

Agree, this case is like the old saying "an enigma wrapped around a riddle." There are so many theories and false flags...Man, would I love to review the police file on this one! Personally, just my opinion, I think it was some type of affair gone bad or too far. I don't believe she pulled a planned disappearance, I don't believe it was a random intruder. I don't believe she fell into a construction hole. I don't believe it was a planned abortion. I do believe the witnesses to the dirty blue/gray car. I do believe the eyewitnesses to the woman walking on 2A and 128. I do believe maybe not everything, but Martin Risch knew "something." Finally, I do believe LE always knew it was local and they had a pretty good idea on the who...Again, reading all available docs, thinking about it, relying on that good ole Boston cynicism, and coming back to it again and again I have settled on a few things I think happen. Would I bet my life? No, maybe dinner at a 5 star restaurant...yes...

I believe the car is the key! A poster said that a car with that description was stolen and found. Does anyone know the date the car was taken and found? I believe the person said they read it in The Globe. I wish there were more pictures. I keep seeing the same pictures over and over.

I believe the car is the key! A poster said that a car with that description was stolen and found. Does anyone know the date the car was taken and found? I believe the person said they read it in The Globe. I wish there were more pictures. I keep seeing the same pictures over and over.

Yes - as far as keys to the mystery - the two/tone blue/gray car is # 1 with a bullet. Yes, a poster at the end of July posted that two/tone stolen car story. They cited a 1962 Boston Globe Story. The poster also mentioned a neighbor hearing the Risch's garage door closing on two occasions, including the day of her disappearance, as well as LE interviewing many of the AFB personnel. I have not had the time to check this out.

In my own mind, I always wanted to believe this was foul play; what decent and intelligent person would suddenly decide to disappear, especially with two young children nearby?? I have been reviewing articles and photos and there is just no rhyme or reason to the blood patterns......a drop in the boy's room, eight drops in the master bedroom, what appears to be a gush of blood on the floor next to fresh drops and smeared, dilute looking blood. The blood on the car does not make sense either.....her neighbor saw her run with something red.......could she have wiped the floor with the coveralls and transferred some of it to the car and returned the coveralls to the house? Did someone pick her up and get cold feet, so she got out of the car and wandered, thinking of what to say when she returned home and then actual fate befell her? I maintain this is the most bizarre story I have ever come across.........

As I said before, the Risch Mystery is unique in that it has actual LE notes from that PDF file. Yet, it makes you analyze and question what it lacks. So in some ways the case has simultaneously has more information than most from that time yet lacks key elements, that is why the case takes on riddle characteristics. Yes, I am sure there are more pictures somewhere...but I am sure they are either in the police file or in someone's drawer:)

In my own mind, I always wanted to believe this was foul play; what decent and intelligent person would suddenly decide to disappear, especially with two young children nearby?? I have been reviewing articles and photos and there is just no rhyme or reason to the blood patterns......a drop in the boy's room, eight drops in the master bedroom, what appears to be a gush of blood on the floor next to fresh drops and smeared, dilute looking blood. The blood on the car does not make sense either.....her neighbor saw her run with something red.......could she have wiped the floor with the coveralls and transferred some of it to the car and returned the coveralls to the house? Did someone pick her up and get cold feet, so she got out of the car and wandered, thinking of what to say when she returned home and then actual fate befell her? I maintain this is the most bizarre story I have ever come across.........

I have several family in the medical and clinical care fields. They have all told me that the amount of blood at the Risch crime scene "looks" like a lot of blood but really is not.

I have several family in the medical and clinical care fields. They have all told me that the amount of blood at the Risch crime scene "looks" like a lot of blood but really is not.
I'm not in the medical field, but I've spilled my share of liquids (mostly coffee, mostly on new carpeting). "A lot" is very subjective, so lets talk fluid ounces.
I just did an experiment: I didn't have any blood handy, but I poured three fluid ounces of water on my kitchen floor to see what that amount of liquid looked like spread out.
There was more liquid on my floor than what appears to be on Joan's.
I'd estimate that there were around two fluid ounces of blood on Joan's floor, so maybe there were two-and-a-half to three fluid ounces present at the scene when you factor in the amount of blood smeared on the wall and the car. To me, that's a lot; I don't think I've ever lost that much blood from a cut, and I've had several cuts that required stitches. (I've donated much more than that at once; a typical donation is a pint, or sixteen fluid ounces.)
We don't know how much blood might have been absorbed by Joan's clothing or by any rag she might have used to stanch the flow of blood.
No witnesses stated that Joan had a bloody face, so we can probably rule out a nosebleed. Considering the reports of a woman with bloody legs, gynecological bleeding seems likely, but intestinal bleeding is also possible, as is an abdominal wound or a leg wound.
I still vote for a ruptured fallopian tube from an ectopic pregnancy, but I'm far from certain.

Yes - as far as keys to the mystery - the two/tone blue/gray car is # 1 with a bullet. Yes, a poster at the end of July posted that two/tone stolen car story. They cited a 1962 Boston Globe Story. The poster also mentioned a neighbor hearing the Risch's garage door closing on two occasions, including the day of her disappearance, as well as LE interviewing many of the AFB personnel. I have not had the time to check this out.
That is significant beaches if she were having an affair, she might have had her paramour pull into her garage so she could close the door behind him and minimize the chance of his vehicle being seen. Maybe she got lazy on the one or two occasions when it was seen in her driveway.
An affair wouldn't explain everything for me, though. Several witnesses saw her alone after her apparent injury or medical emergency. If she was assaulted by a lover, he must have left before she started bleeding. If that's what happened, maybe she was walking to his house, and maybe she made it. (That might be true even if her lover didn't have anything to do with her injury.)

One of the evidence photographs (taken the evening of October 24, 1961) shows a coat hanger on the top of the Risch' vehicle located in their driveway. Some may believe the hanger indicates there was a botched abortion attempt but there is no evidence (released to the public) to support that speculation. The lack of blood smear under / immediately near the hanger makes the find notably eerie. Blood spots were found on the ground leading from the residence to the vehicle.

Blood spots (not splatter) were found on one or more fenders and on the lower section of the trunk lid and higher, close to the rear window. A baffling pattern.

attachment.php

Photos of the kitchen show a significant amount of blood on the floor and on vertical surfaces. LE report includes estimate of "1/2 pint" of blood at the scene.

It was originally written in the case file that the "telephone has been ripped from the wall" (as was reported by the neighbor who called LE). A photo reveals the telephone was not ripped from the wall; only the handset-and-cable were forcefully separated from the wall-mounted telephone; handset cables on that style phone were hardwired at both ends, no connectors.

The cable remained attached to the handset and the coiling at the other end of the cable (as shown in one of the photos) appears intact (not 'stretched'): this indicates the cable was grasped close to the telephone and pulled from that point. It is not publicly known if other telephones were installed in the house.

The small table shown on its side in the doorway was normally located in the corner below the telephone.

attachment.php

The telephone handset with attached cable was found hanging on the outside rim of a bucket placed on the kitchen floor. The bucket contained an assortment of items (trash), including an empty bottle of Whiskey which the Risches had consumed a previous evening. The bucket also contained one or more empty Miller beer cans... but the Risches did not have beer in the house. Who brought the beer? An opened book was found as placed faced down on the kitchen table.

attachment.php

The LE case file indicates "the blood on the kitchen floor was dry except for 2 or 3 spots where there was a pool of blood and this was not entirely dry."

The LE case file also indicates the "waste basket" was normally located in a cabinet under the sink and "childs corduroy overalls were found on the kitchen stool and these appeared to have blood on them as did a pair of childs under pants that were on the kitchen floor."

I note that photos show corduroy pants but no "under pants." What happened to that evidence?

An apron was found on the floor behind the table-on-its-side in the hallway leading to the living room and a "local tel. directory" was found "open to emergency numbers." No other furniture in the house was disturbed and the rest of the house "appeared to be in order."

attachment.php

FBI report indicates blood was found on the handset along with fingerprints, one of which was identified in their report but that information was redacted in the public release. FBI estimated the blood volume to be "one pint or more" but were "unable to determine whether or not blood in residence was sufficient to indicate victim was killed." Blood in residence was type O, same as JR, and "facts concerning strange man observed in vicinity of home shortly before disappearance of victim as reported in newspapers are unfounded." Since no body was found and no indication of abduction across the state line the FBI remained on the sideline.

I note that a photo shows three containers with corner protectors, such as on musical instrument and other heavy-duty cases, are shown on the kitchen floor along the wall under and next to the kitchen table. One of the cases is opened. The LE case file does not report these items and it is not known what they contained.

The house and surrounding areas were searched. Hospitals were put on alert. Various reports of a woman seen walking along local highways led nowhere. Other elements in the case file also led nowhere.

It seems the case might never be solved.

Attachments

• risch kitchen - 03.png
    risch kitchen - 03.png
    862.2 KB · Views: 191
MR was not an immediate suspect because he was out of state at the time of the incident but there was one word that stood out in his October 25, 1961 @ 2:50 AM LE interview.

A partial transcript of that interview:

attachment.php

There is even the cardboard from the Miller beer case on the floor folded over. Where are the fingerprints/evidence now? Can anything be retested with modern technology?

MR was not an immediate suspect because he was out of state at the time of the incident but there was one word that stood out in his October 25, 1961 @ 2:50 AM LE interview.

A partial transcript of that interview:

attachment.php

What is that one word that stood out ?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member