MA MA - Joan Risch, 30, Lincoln, 24 Oct 1961

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
One of the evidence photographs (taken the evening of October 24, 1961) shows a coat hanger on the top of the Risch' vehicle located in their driveway. Some may believe the hanger indicates there was a botched abortion attempt but there is no evidence (released to the public) to support that speculation. The lack of blood smear under / immediately near the hanger makes the find notably eerie. Blood spots were found on the ground leading from the residence to the vehicle.

Blood spots (not splatter) were found on one or more fenders and on the lower section of the trunk lid and higher, close to the rear window. A baffling pattern.

attachment.php

Photos of the kitchen show a significant amount of blood on the floor and on vertical surfaces. LE report includes estimate of "1/2 pint" of blood at the scene.

It was originally written in the case file that the "telephone has been ripped from the wall" (as was reported by the neighbor who called LE). A photo reveals the telephone was not ripped from the wall; only the handset-and-cable were forcefully separated from the wall-mounted telephone; handset cables on that style phone were hardwired at both ends, no connectors.

The cable remained attached to the handset and the coiling at the other end of the cable (as shown in one of the photos) appears intact (not 'stretched'): this indicates the cable was grasped close to the telephone and pulled from that point. It is not publicly known if other telephones were installed in the house.

The small table shown on its side in the doorway was normally located in the corner below the telephone.

attachment.php

The telephone handset with attached cable was found hanging on the outside rim of a bucket placed on the kitchen floor. The bucket contained an assortment of items (trash), including an empty bottle of Whiskey which the Risches had consumed a previous evening. The bucket also contained one or more empty Miller beer cans... but the Risches did not have beer in the house. Who brought the beer? An opened book was found as placed faced down on the kitchen table.

attachment.php

The LE case file indicates "the blood on the kitchen floor was dry except for 2 or 3 spots where there was a pool of blood and this was not entirely dry."

The LE case file also indicates the "waste basket" was normally located in a cabinet under the sink and "childs corduroy overalls were found on the kitchen stool and these appeared to have blood on them as did a pair of childs under pants that were on the kitchen floor."

I note that photos show corduroy pants but no "under pants." What happened to that evidence?

An apron was found on the floor behind the table-on-its-side in the hallway leading to the living room and a "local tel. directory" was found "open to emergency numbers." No other furniture in the house was disturbed and the rest of the house "appeared to be in order."

attachment.php

FBI report indicates blood was found on the handset along with fingerprints, one of which was identified in their report but that information was redacted in the public release. FBI estimated the blood volume to be "one pint or more" but were "unable to determine whether or not blood in residence was sufficient to indicate victim was killed." Blood in residence was type O, same as JR, and "facts concerning strange man observed in vicinity of home shortly before disappearance of victim as reported in newspapers are unfounded." Since no body was found and no indication of abduction across the state line the FBI remained on the sideline.

I note that a photo shows three containers with corner protectors, such as on musical instrument and other heavy-duty cases, are shown on the kitchen floor along the wall under and next to the kitchen table. One of the cases is opened. The LE case file does not report these items and it is not known what they contained.

The house and surrounding areas were searched. Hospitals were put on alert. Various reports of a woman seen walking along local highways led nowhere. Other elements in the case file also led nowhere.

It seems the case might never be solved.

Thank you for posting this info. What do you suppose was in the cases ? Also, I did read that one of the bloody prints on the phone was MR's. It was only mentioned once, in a newspaper, I think a Philadelphia newspaper. It is here on this thread, at the early part of the thread.

I like her too. Just received my Jackalope mug from her merch store. LordanArts is another favorite of mine.

I'm not in the medical field, but I've spilled my share of liquids (mostly coffee, mostly on new carpeting). "A lot" is very subjective, so lets talk fluid ounces.
I just did an experiment: I didn't have any blood handy, but I poured three fluid ounces of water on my kitchen floor to see what that amount of liquid looked like spread out.
There was more liquid on my floor than what appears to be on Joan's.
I'd estimate that there were around two fluid ounces of blood on Joan's floor, so maybe there were two-and-a-half to three fluid ounces present at the scene when you factor in the amount of blood smeared on the wall and the car. To me, that's a lot; I don't think I've ever lost that much blood from a cut, and I've had several cuts that required stitches. (I've donated much more than that at once; a typical donation is a pint, or sixteen fluid ounces.)
We don't know how much blood might have been absorbed by Joan's clothing or by any rag she might have used to stanch the flow of blood.
No witnesses stated that Joan had a bloody face, so we can probably rule out a nosebleed. Considering the reports of a woman with bloody legs, gynecological bleeding seems likely, but intestinal bleeding is also possible, as is an abdominal wound or a leg wound.
I still vote for a ruptured fallopian tube from an ectopic pregnancy, but I'm far from certain.
I have had a head wound bleed a LOT. The only other time I bled that much besides childbirth was an early miscarriage. It was just gushing, tmi sorry. So I agree. I feel like it was an abortion/miscarriage, or someone hurt her. I mean, there is always the possibility of her disappearing on her own but I lean towards someone doing this to her.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

One of the evidence photographs (taken the evening of October 24, 1961) shows a coat hanger on the top of the Risch' vehicle located in their driveway. Some may believe the hanger indicates there was a botched abortion attempt but there is no evidence (released to the public) to support that speculation. The lack of blood smear under / immediately near the hanger makes the find notably eerie. Blood spots were found on the ground leading from the residence to the vehicle.

I note that a photo shows three containers with corner protectors, such as on musical instrument and other heavy-duty cases, are shown on the kitchen floor along the wall under and next to the kitchen table. One of the cases is opened. The LE case file does not report these items and it is not known what they contained.
The coat hanger on the car probably means that someone was trying to get into the car without keys. It may have been Joan herself, or it may have been one of the investigators. If it was Joan, that would explain why she was walking: she had a medical emergency and couldn't find her car keys.

We've discussed the containers before (or one of them) and decided that a case like that could contain a typewriter or possibly a slide projector or sewing machine.

On the kitchen floor, up top in the corner, in front of the paper towel roll, are two thin books. Has anyone been able to zoom in and identify those? I am thinking the large, but thin one is the phone book? Anyone who remembers NE Telephone books know the Boston one was rather large and the four (North, South, East, West) Suburban books were thin.

Found this recent article on the Risch mystery, a few new nuggets, like how she met Martin (at a Harvard Football game) and the photographs of the crime scene seem a bit different or maybe taken from a different angle. The author cites a few Boston Herald articles from the sixties but I think a few comments seem to be incorrect...and/or hastily written, ex. the time the two tone car was seen.

https://morbidology.com/gone-girl-joan-risch/

Hi, I'm very new here but this case is really intriguing. I was wondering about a few points, none of which seem to have been covered by the posts I've read (apologies if I'm overlooking anything!)

1. If you look at Barbara Barker's original statement (from the truth-link PDF), she never says that she saw Joan carrying anything to her car at 2:30. In most of the stuff about this incident I've read online, Barker is held to have said that she saw Joan carrying a red object. She says that she saw Joan running with arms outstretched and at the same time saw "something red." She thought she was chasing one of the kids who was wearing a red jacket, which suggests a different relationship between Joan and the red object, in Barker's glimpse, than Joan carrying it.

2. To me the biggest issue here is that Barker's statement makes it clear that she brought Joan's daughter Lillian back to the Risch house at 3:45, then went shopping. When she got home at 4:15, Lillian came and alerted her to something being amiss at her own house. This means that Lillian was alone in her house for about 30 minutes. I wonder how much of the kitchen crime scene has been affected by Lillian? Did she try to clean the kitchen, thus pulling out the trash pail and putting into it objects that were lying about (the phone receiver, maybe the beer?) Maybe drop the paper towels in the process? Wondering if anyone has pursued this before.

Oddly, you wouldn't think a woman would take off and just leave her children in such a manner, but that certainly seems to be the case here.

Hi, I'm very new here but this case is really intriguing. I was wondering about a few points, none of which seem to have been covered by the posts I've read (apologies if I'm overlooking anything!)

1. If you look at Barbara Barker's original statement (from the truth-link PDF), she never says that she saw Joan carrying anything to her car at 2:30. In most of the stuff about this incident I've read online, Barker is held to have said that she saw Joan carrying a red object. She says that she saw Joan running with arms outstretched and at the same time saw "something red." She thought she was chasing one of the kids who was wearing a red jacket, which suggests a different relationship between Joan and the red object, in Barker's glimpse, than Joan carrying it.

2. To me the biggest issue here is that Barker's statement makes it clear that she brought Joan's daughter Lillian back to the Risch house at 3:45, then went shopping. When she got home at 4:15, Lillian came and alerted her to something being amiss at her own house. This means that Lillian was alone in her house for about 30 minutes. I wonder how much of the kitchen crime scene has been affected by Lillian? Did she try to clean the kitchen, thus pulling out the trash pail and putting into it objects that were lying about (the phone receiver, maybe the beer?) Maybe drop the paper towels in the process? Wondering if anyone has pursued this before.

Hello NVT,

Good points, the one that always resonated with me was point # 2 and the short time frame Barbara Barker went shopping. That just seemed very tight to me. On whether Lillian affected the crime scene, well maybe she did, maybe not. But, I say, what difference would that make in the larger picture? There were still prints on the wall and the contents of the trash can seems to be unaffected. Keep in mind, LE found no bloody footprints, so I do not think she was walking around the area in the blood.

So I'm not allowed to share something here that I read in another forum? That's what I'm understanding since my comment keeps getting deleted.
That is correct. This is a quote from the rules section:

"To preserve the integrity of the factual information contained herein, Websleuths does not participate in rumor mongering. When claiming something as a “fact,” you must prove it. Be able to provide links to information from approved third party sources; for instance, mainstream media (MSM), law enforcement (LE), and admin-verified case insiders."

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

You're free to state your theory of the case and your reasoning, but if you want to support your position with evidence, that evidence has to come from an approved source (a police report, a Boston Globe article, etc.).

What is that one word that stood out ?

He used past tense while describing an aspect of his wife:

"She was an exciteable type of person."

I posted an image of a section of the transcript but Websleuths seems to have deleted it.

Blood spots (not splatter) were found on one or more fenders and on the lower section of the trunk lid and higher, close to the rear window. A baffling pattern.

Photos of the kitchen show a significant amount of blood on the floor and on vertical surfaces. LE report includes estimate of "1/2 pint" of blood at the scene.

It was originally written in the case file that the "telephone has been ripped from the wall" (as was reported by the neighbor who called LE). A photo reveals the telephone was not ripped from the wall; only the handset-and-cable were forcefully separated from the wall-mounted telephone; handset cables on that style phone were hardwired at both ends, no connectors.

The cable remained attached to the handset and the coiling at the other end of the cable (as shown in one of the photos) appears intact (not 'stretched'): this indicates the cable was grasped close to the telephone and pulled from that point. It is not publicly known if other telephones were installed in the house.

The small table shown on its side in the doorway was normally located in the corner below the telephone.

The telephone handset with attached cable was found hanging on the outside rim of a bucket placed on the kitchen floor. The bucket contained an assortment of items (trash), including an empty bottle of Whiskey which the Risches had consumed a previous evening. The bucket also contained one or more empty Miller beer cans... but the Risches did not have beer in the house. Who brought the beer? An opened book was found as placed faced down on the kitchen table.

The LE case file indicates "the blood on the kitchen floor was dry except for 2 or 3 spots where there was a pool of blood and this was not entirely dry."

The LE case file also indicates the "waste basket" was normally located in a cabinet under the sink and "childs corduroy overalls were found on the kitchen stool and these appeared to have blood on them as did a pair of childs under pants that were on the kitchen floor."

I note that photos show corduroy pants but no "under pants." What happened to that evidence?

An apron was found on the floor behind the table-on-its-side in the hallway leading to the living room and a "local tel. directory" was found "open to emergency numbers." No other furniture in the house was disturbed and the rest of the house "appeared to be in order."

FBI report indicates blood was found on the handset along with fingerprints, one of which was identified in their report but that information was redacted in the public release. FBI estimated the blood volume to be "one pint or more" but were "unable to determine whether or not blood in residence was sufficient to indicate victim was killed." Blood in residence was type O, same as JR, and "facts concerning strange man observed in vicinity of home shortly before disappearance of victim as reported in newspapers are unfounded." Since no body was found and no indication of abduction across the state line the FBI remained on the sideline.

The house and surrounding areas were searched. Hospitals were put on alert. Various reports of a woman seen walking along local highways led nowhere. Other elements in the case file also led nowhere.

It seems the case might never be solved.

Reloaded images:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• risch kitchen - 01.png
    risch kitchen - 01.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 127
  • risch kitchen - 02.png
    risch kitchen - 02.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 126
  • risch kitchen - 03.png
    risch kitchen - 03.png
    862.2 KB · Views: 121
  • risch car - 01.jpg
    risch car - 01.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 127
  • risch husband interview - partial - 01.png
    risch husband interview - partial - 01.png
    528.1 KB · Views: 128

I posted an image of a section of the transcript but Websleuths seems to have deleted it.

Thank you, yes I recall him using the past tense too...

Thank you, yes I recall him using the past tense too...
In the paragraph above, he says, "My wife is the shy type." I'm not sure we can assume that minute details like verb tense were recorded faithfully.

That turn of phrase bothered me, too. Might be accidental, or even written down wrong, but it's curious!

Hi
I was trying to figure out exactly where the risch house was on old bedford rd. In researching i found that william barker's house(4 old bedford rd) is actually one of the only 2 houses remaining on that road. For some reason it was made a historic landmark.
http://mhc-macris.net/Details.aspx?MhcId=LIN.169
No idea why a house built in 1940 would be considered a historic landmark. I have also attached the property card that mentions W.R Barker in the comments field, but does not list a sale date to the national park. Assuming they didnt move the barker house, that would put the risch house across the street. I was thinking it was further up the rd since i have read from others it was a 10 minute walk from her house to 2A. Again assuming they didnt move the barker house and barker did not own any other houses on old bedford. As an interesting side note, i also found the house martin risch moved to (71 winter st, also attached.) Looks like he sold it about a year before he died. I at first thought this was the original risch house that was moved, but the 96 boston globe article says it was moved to lexington and risch moved to a house nearby in Lincoln (though the house looks similar to me). Not really relevant, but i thought it would be interesting to see what the original Risch house looks like today.

Attachments

• 4 old bedford property.pdf
    208.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 71 winter st.pdf
    240.1 KB · Views: 24
Also i found the website truth-link.org is registered to RICHARD FORD.
https://whois.icann.org/en/lookup?name=truth-link.org
So probably related to the guy who put the pdf together back in the 90s. He has links on the site called "additional pages" and "final pages" but they dont go anywhere. Hope he has some information that will at least give us a better theory that fits all the evidence.

Hi
I was trying to figure out exactly where the risch house was on old bedford rd. In researching i found that william barker's house(4 old bedford rd) is actually one of the only 2 houses remaining on that road. For some reason it was made a historic landmark.
http://mhc-macris.net/Details.aspx?MhcId=LIN.169
No idea why a house built in 1940 would be considered a historic landmark. I have also attached the property card that mentions W.R Barker in the comments field, but does not list a sale date to the national park. Assuming they didnt move the barker house, that would put the risch house across the street. I was thinking it was further up the rd since i have read from others it was a 10 minute walk from her house to 2A. Again assuming they didnt move the barker house and barker did not own any other houses on old bedford. As an interesting side note, i also found the house martin risch moved to (71 winter st, also attached.) Looks like he sold it about a year before he died. I at first thought this was the original risch house that was moved, but the 96 boston globe article says it was moved to lexington and risch moved to a house nearby in Lincoln (though the house looks similar to me). Not really relevant, but i thought it would be interesting to see what the original Risch house looks like today.

Pretty interesting, a 1940 house declared a historical landmark. I guess since my house was built during the JFK administration I am out of luck:) OK, for those folks in the in the tax field, if you are an owner of a house declared a historical landmark isn't there favorable tax advantages? Could the Barkers still be owners? You found a street number attached to the home. In all references to the homes on Old Bedford Rd I never saw a street number mentioned. I was always under the impression the Barker home was a few houses up. On the Risch house, I thought the actual structure was moved. Now some reports say "South Lincoln", other say Lexington.

I know the area fairly well, live in the Boston area and drive through the area often and always felt Joan walked to 2A but either voluntarily or involuntarily got into a car and ended further up 128.

Also i found the website truth-link.org is registered to RICHARD FORD.
https://whois.icann.org/en/lookup?name=truth-link.org
So probably related to the guy who put the pdf together back in the 90s. He has links on the site called "additional pages" and "final pages" but they dont go anywhere. Hope he has some information that will at least give us a better theory that fits all the evidence.

Good work finding Mr. Ford! I thought I had found him first in NH, then Plymouth, MA. I believe he is the author/owner of the PDF. And yes, it is incomplete. Like I said before, according to press reports he spend 12 years and 90K in his research. If the pdf was all that got produced well....

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
broccoli445
Back