MA - Justice for Officer John O’Keefe * NO DISCUSSION * media, timelines, docs * NO DISCUSSION *

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Karen Read jury list impounded indefinitely as juror says, ‘I am frightened'​

Updated on July 18, 2024​

April 20, 2024

MA v Karen Read: 5 Biggest Moments from Pretrial Hearing​

Karen Read only needs 4 more jurors before the Killer or Cover-Up Murder Trial begins in Massachusetts. #CourtTV previews the opening statements by looking at the biggest moments from her fiery pretrial hearing that had important rulings from the judge.

As the jury deliberations drag on in the trial of the Massachusetts woman who allegedly killed her cop boyfriend John O'Keefe, the victim's family has been at court showing support, providing testimony and feeling "harassed".

Paul O'Keefe, John's brother, said his family has felt 'harassed' while waiting for Read's verdict since Tuesday.

The O'Keefe family was gathered at a location in Dedham, near the courthouse, when 25 to 30 people showed up wearing pink, similar to Read's supporters, and took pictures of the family.

Jun 28, 2024

CANTON − Paul O'Keefe, brother of the late Braintree native John O'Keefe, is speaking out after the Karen Read murder trial ended last week with a hung jury.

Paul O'Keefe told WCVB that his family is no longer keeping silent about the case. He spoke one-on-one with NewsCenter 5's David Bienick.

O'Keefe said his family didn't speak publicly during the trial because they didn't want to interfere with the prosecution and they trusted that justice would lead to a guilty verdict for Read, who is accused of second-degree murder. Prosecutors say she will be retried.

Updated July 8, 2024

He said he was disappointed to see crowds of Read supporters outside the courthouse each day.

"A group of people that are just, you know, they're just never going to be convinced," Paul O'Keefe said. "That's fine. And those are the people that are out there wearing their pink shirts and tailgating and, you know, having a good old time while there's a murder trial going on inside the courthouse."

During closing arguments, he invited some of the people the defense has tried to implicate in his brother's death to sit with his family.

"It was just our way of saying, you know, we don't believe any of this stuff," O'Keefe said.

Updated July 8, 2024

It wasn’t long before a far more sinister theory of what happened began to emerge. On his drive home after the arraignment, Yannetti says, he returned a call to a tipster who had previously called his office. A man with a gravelly voice—who initially offered up a fake name—picked up the phone and told Yannetti, he recalls, something to the effect of, “Your client is innocent. John was beaten up by Brian Albert and his nephew. They broke his nose, and when O’Keefe didn’t come to, Brian and a federal agent dumped his body on the front lawn.” (An attorney for the man Yannetti identified as the tipster denies Yannetti’s version.)

by GRETCHEN VOSS· 9/27/2023, 8:30 a.m.

Also problematic for Read’s alternative theory is that, according to multiple people who know O’Keefe and Colin in Canton, it doesn’t seem there was any bad blood between O’Keefe and Colin, as Read claims there was. What’s more, two sources claim the confrontation between O’Keefe and the boisterous beer-drinking teens on his lawn that Read recalled actually involved another teen entirely and not Colin at all.

An even larger problem for Read’s defense is evidence that there were microscopic pieces of taillight plastic found on O’Keefe’s shirt.

*Update, Sept. 27, 4 p.m.: Two sentences in this story have been revised, one for clarity, one for accuracy. 1) Court documents state that no one else had arrived at 34 Fairview at the time that Colin Albert left. 2) An earlier version of this story characterized Jennifer McCabe’s daughter as Colin Albert’s “cousin”—Jennifer McCabe’s daughter and Colin Albert are not blood relatives.

At exactly 5 a.m. the next morning, Roberts said she was woken up by a call from Read, a minute or two after she had missed another call from Read.

“I answered the phone and she said, ‘John’s dead. Kerry, Kerry, Kerry,’ and then she hung up,” Roberts said. “[She was] very loud. She woke my husband, who was sleeping.”

Roberts said she tried to call Read back, but got no answer. After about five minutes, Read called again, and told Roberts she believed O’Keefe might be dead and may have been hit by a plow. According to Roberts, Read said O’Keefe would never leave his niece, who was home, alone, and she believed something was wrong.

“She said, ‘I’m driving, can I come to your house? Can you drive my car? I don’t remember anything from last night. I drank so much,” Roberts said, adding that she told Read to go home to be with O’Keefe’s niece and that she shouldn’t drive if she had been drinking.

Roberts agreed to help Read look for O’Keefe and went outside to wait in her car, where she called the police non-emergency line and Good Samaritan Hospital to see if there had been any car accidents the night before. Read called again to let her know she was going to McCabe’s home so Roberts drove to meet them. While they were on the phone, Roberts said she heard McCabe tell Read that Read had gone to the Alberts’ home at 34 Fairview Road the night before, and Read asked about her taillight, which Roberts saw was broken.

“There was a bit sticking out and I remember thinking someone was going to catch their sleeve on that or something,” she said.

Read wanted to go directly to Fairview Road but Roberts said they should check O’Keefe’s home “to see if he passed out somewhere” and drop off Read’s car, so they did that first. Roberts called O’Keefe a “neat freak” with a strict rule against wearing shoes in the house, and said that she and McCabe removed their shoes before going inside, but Read did not.

Roberts said they looked through the house and spoke to O’Keefe’s niece but did not find O’Keefe.

Roberts drove the three women to 34 Fairview Road while they looked for O’Keefe along the road, thinking he may have been walking home or been hit by a plow. Roberts said the blizzard made for “really bad driving” and that visibility was “very poor.”

When they arrived at the home, Read began shouting.

“All of a sudden Karen said, ‘There he is, there he is, let me the F out of this car,’ and started kicking the door,” Roberts said. “I looked over and I didn’t see anything and I looked at Jen and said, ‘She’s crazy.’ So I unlocked the door and she got out and ran over to a mound of snow.”

Speaking through tears, Roberts described realizing that the mound of snow was a body and running over, clearing the snow off his head and realizing it was O’Keefe. She said his entire body was covered in 3 to 4 inches of snow and he was bleeding from his nose and mouth and a cut on the back of his head.

Roberts said she told McCabe to call 911 and began performing CPR until EMTs arrived.

Roberts said O’Keefe’s cell phone was underneath his body so she put it in her pocket, but gave it to a first responder when they asked if she had it.

When O’Keefe was put into the ambulance, Roberts said she told Read EMTs were “working on him.”

“Karen grabbed the front of my jacket and screamed in my face and said, ‘Are they working on him? Is he alive? I said they wouldn’t be working on him if he was dead,” she said. “She started to pray. She had blood on her hands and she told us she got her period, so I think she was in a state of shock ... I said, ‘No, that’s not your blood, that’s John’s.”

Roberts called members of O’Keefe’s family to let them know what had happened and told his parents she would pick them up to go to the hospital. Read called Erin O’Keefe, John O’Keefe’s sister in law, and Roberts said Read told her that O’Keefe was dead, so Roberts grabbed the phone from Read and explained that he was not dead but had “been in an accident.”

May 24, 2023

Murder suspect Karen Read: 'We know who spearheaded this cover up'​

-- "I tried to save his life at 6 in the morning - I was covered in his ...[blood] I was the only one trying to save his life"
"Me and my family and my attorneys and my team have marshaled every resource to get the truth," said Karen Read, who is accused of murder in the death of her boyfriend, a Boston police officer in Canton, Massachusetts, last year

May 22, 2024

MA v Karen Read: Kerry Roberts Describes Finding John O'Keefe's Body​

Kerry Roberts, a friend of the victim who helped Karen Read look for John O'Keefe, testified about finding the police officer's body in the snow and performing CPR on him.

Aidan Kearney, the blogger known as Turtleboy, has long advocated on Read's behalf. "Free Karen Read" products with the Turtleboy logo are available for sale on his website, and past stories have said proceeds go to a fund for Read's legal defense.

Kearney's coverage of the case, which has garnered extensive attention, has led prosecutors to charge him with witness intimidation.

On Wednesday, a newly-released Massachusetts State Police affidavit alleged that Read sent Kearney personal details about witnesses in the case, autopsy photographs, crime scene photographs, images of her car, and the 911 call made when O'Keefe's body was found.

Aidan Kearney, the controversial blogger known as "Turtleboy" who's become well-known in Massachusetts for his part in the Karen Read murder investigation, was indicted on two new charges Friday.

A Norfolk County grand jury on Thursday indicted Kearney on charges of harassing a witness and intercepting wire or oral communication from a woman, according to the documents. The woman at the heart of the new charges, for alleged conduct in Medfield on about Dec. 23, is the one whose allegations prompted assault and battery and witness intimidation charges against Kearney three days later.

"He threatened her in saying that, if she didn't cooperate, he would destroy her in front of her kids by publishing old probate court records that he had acquired," a prosecutor said in court, adding that she found out Kearney had recorded their conversation when he posted an edited version online.

Prosecutors alleged in recent weeks that Read fed confidential information to Kearney, with a Massachusetts State Police affidavit last month revealing that the two communicated directly for more than 40 hours during 189 phone calls, as well as through an intermediary and the Signal messaging app.

Kearney was charged with intimidating and harassing witnesses.

He was back in court for a pretrial hearing.

A police affidavit alleges that Read fed confidential information to Kearney, including personal details about witnesses in the case, autopsy and crime scene photographs, and the 911 call that was made when O'Keefe's body was found.

Updated Wed, April 24th 2024

The murder trial of Karen Read, which divided a Massachusetts community and captivated much of the country for more than two months, ended in a mistrial on Monday after the jury emerged from several days of deliberation completely deadlocked.

Read is accused of killing her boyfriend, Boston police officer John O'Keefe, by backing her Lexus SUV into him and leaving him for dead in a snowstorm as she dropped him off at a fellow officer's house after a night of drinking in January 2022.

JULY 2, 2024

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back