Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #112

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
When she said she was feeling under the weather, the pharmaceutical rep said he understood, that there were a lot of summer colds going around.
If I hear one more person blame not feeling well on "a lot of summer colds going around" I'm going to SCREAM!!!! Why is everyone ignoring the obvious?!?!? Sure, it MIGHT be a cold, but then again it might NOT be.

*mutters under my breath*
It's been two days since we were there, and I hoping for my husband's sake that he doesn't get sick from whatever she has/had. He is still healing from the surgery and has to go back in a week for the next stage. We're both watching out for any symptoms in case. It's been two days since being exposed to her and whatever she had, so far so good.
Wishing you both luck.

@Sundog. Doesn't surprise me, Covid now, is something employers really don't want to know about any longer. I remember my Covid, after the pandemic, I got it in 2022, my employer wanted me back to work by Monday. I had the day of diagnosis, Wednesday, called in sick for Thursday and Friday, had the week end, and was expected back at work on Monday. I was wearing a mask, coughing feeling like death. But, the expectation was, back to work!

So much for leave! I remember co-workers who had 6 weeks off with Covid, with pay.

Seriously, my brain fog, exhaustion was too much. I quit my job, I couldn't do it. I am still taking naps every day.

Found out Thursday that friends who moved to FL from Boston in February had Covid over the July 4th holiday. He toughed it out at home, but she had to go to Urgent Care because she was so sick. She was tested and diagnosed with Covid; he was sick before she was and probably had it, too, even though he didn't test. They hadn't had Covid previously because MA took precautions, but apparently in FL people don't believe it even exists!

DH and I did not get the spring booster but will definitely get the latest injection in the fall along with our annual flu shots. We are going on a cruise in January and want to be protected in the crowded environment.

We went through a case of 86 tests in 4 days this week.
One box with two tests for each member of a family, free to take at the desk.
Many people still have not stopped masking, including coworkers.
At this point, the denial of the potential is still strong. Why wouldn't you test if you think you even have a cold? That's what I don't get.

At this point, the denial of the potential is still strong. Why wouldn't you test if you think you even have a cold? That's what I don't get.

Free access to test kits are hard to get these days and not everyone can afford to buy the test kits, they aren't inexpensive. We're lucky that our library keeps getting tests to distribute for free from our state government, but they aren't always available. And since you have to keep re-testing, you really need two boxes on hand for each person in your family. It can get expensive for a lot of families if they have to go out and buy them. Not all insurance plans cover the cost, and some of the plans reimburse people after the fact, so there is the initial layout of cash to purchase them and a long wait for reimbursement. All of this results in disincentives for people to purchase test kits on their own.

Hello all, just wanted to chime in. I currently have pneumonia AND Covid. Was taken taken to hospital with pneumonia (didn’t know I had it tbh) and then the nurse made me do a Covid test and I said (like a fool that I am) “nobody gets covid anymore surely” and Lo and behold I tested positive. So now I can barely breathe and the coughing is just the worst! My chest feels like it’s on fire and I’m pretty sure I’ve pulled some muscles in my stomach. I can’t smell / taste anything and I’ve lost a stone in 3 days!

Free access to test kits are hard to get these days and not everyone can afford to buy the test kits, they aren't inexpensive. We're lucky that our library keeps getting tests to distribute for free from our state government, but they aren't always available. And since you have to keep re-testing, you really need two boxes on hand for each person in your family. It can get expensive for a lot of families if they have to go out and buy them. Not all insurance plans cover the cost, and some of the plans reimburse people after the fact, so there is the initial layout of cash to purchase them and a long wait for reimbursement. All of this results in disincentives for people to purchase test kits on their own.
Out of interest, and presuming you’re in the states, how much does a Covid test cost? Over here (UK) they’re about £1.99 each. I’d be interested to compare

Hello all, just wanted to chime in. I currently have pneumonia AND Covid. Was taken taken to hospital with pneumonia (didn’t know I had it tbh) and then the nurse made me do a Covid test and I said (like a fool that I am) “nobody gets covid anymore surely” and Lo and behold I tested positive. So now I can barely breathe and the coughing is just the worst! My chest feels like it’s on fire and I’m pretty sure I’ve pulled some muscles in my stomach. I can’t smell / taste anything and I’ve lost a stone in 3 days!
Looks like you found out the hard way that "people DO get covid anymore surely" @callmehenry. I'm most curious in why you would have even thought that because it's not going away. Likely never. What kind of information are they giving you in regards to Covid that made you draw that conclusion? I truly want to understand why some people think it's gone.

In fact, here's what was recently circulating here I live from our wastewater monitoring. And that was all the variants circulating on that ONE day (14):

1721496356010.png

I tested myself just this morning. For the last several mornings I've woken up with a stuffy nose. I've been pretty sure it's just from working outside in a dusty yard (digging in dry dirt as part of a landscaping project), especially because once I blow my nose, it's no longer stuffed up until the next morning.

But I was headed to a relatively crowded event this morning, an outdoor community breakfast, and the stuffy nose seemed a bit more than yesterday. So I tested just in case. Negative. I know the tests aren't highly reliable but lacking any other symptoms I decided that was sufficient.

My medical clinic now has covid tests for free -- this in a small-town, covid-denying community. I'm still the only one I see N95-masked inside, but they now have a big stack of current (unexpired) covid tests available for free. Over the past two years I've also gotten free tests from my County Public Health office, plus online when they are offered. I haven't needed to buy any tests yet.

Looks like you found out the hard way that "people DO get covid anymore surely" @callmehenry. I'm most curious in why you would have even thought that because it's not going away. Likely never. What kind of information are they giving you in regards to Covid that made you draw that conclusion? I truly want to understand why some people think it's gone.

In fact, here's what was recently circulating here I live from our wastewater monitoring. And that was all the variants circulating on that ONE day (14):

View attachment 519232
In the UK it hardly ever makes the news, if you wear a mask when you go out you’re looked at real strange, I hadn’t met or heard of anyone who’d had it for at least a year. Anyway, hands up, I’m an idiot

Out of interest, and presuming you’re in the states, how much does a Covid test cost? Over here (UK) they’re about £1.99 each. I’d be interested to compare
I noticed that the test kits (with 2 tests per box purchased) are $16.99 at CVS pharmacy in our community, which is probably about the average price.

I am assuming that your government (national or local) is subsidizing the cost of your test kits. Here in the U.S., that is no longer the case so it is up to a person's insurance plan.

I don't know if Medicare for seniors is covering the costs of the test kits but if they do, I think there is likely a limit as to how many times they will cover the costs of these purchases.

I noticed that the test kits (with 2 tests per box purchased) are $16.99 at CVS pharmacy in our community, which is probably about the average price.

I am assuming that your government (national or local) is subsidizing the cost of your test kits. Here in the U.S., that is no longer the case so it is up to a person's insurance plan.

I don't know if Medicare for seniors is covering the costs of the test kits but if they do, I think there is likely a limit as to how many times they will cover the costs of these purchases.
I’m not sure if the government are subsiding but I’ll assume they must pay some of the cost. At one point they couldn’t give them away for free, literally boxes of them everywhere and school kids being given 10-20 boxes at a time to take home because there were so many that were otherwise just sitting around.

In the UK it hardly ever makes the news, if you wear a mask when you go out you’re looked at real strange, I hadn’t met or heard of anyone who’d had it for at least a year. Anyway, hands up, I’m an idiot
It's the same here in the U.S. No longer in the news, no mask-wearing (a few people here and there).

I hope you are getting good medical care and that your symptoms recede and you are feeling better quickly.

It's the same here in the U.S. No longer in the news, no mask-wearing (a few people here and there).

I hope you are getting good medical care and that your symptoms recede and you are feeling better quickly.
Thank you for your kind wishes, very much appreciated

I am in the US. When I find offers for free tests online, I think I'm only eligible due to being on Medicaid (not old enough for Medicare yet).

But the free tests I just mentioned from my medical clinic and county public health office are available for everyone -- I think perhaps due to this current very large spike in cases, and possibly folks starting to realize the magnitude and impact of Long Covid, tests are becoming available for free again when they haven't been for the last year or two. MOO and experience.

We are just getting over what we called the crud. We didn’t test. I visited the dr(we wore masks) on day 6. No testing was mentioned. We were at home just the two of us for 9 days and never had a fever. Sure it could’ve been Covid, but why buy tests when we followed protocol and the dr never mentioned it?

Thank you for responding. I wondered if it was something like that. Sounds like they aren't doing you any favors if it's no longer in the news. And you're not an idiot. No news can make a person think it's gone when in fact it is not.

This is 2 months old UK Covid news:

Covid cases are continuing to rise in the UK as the new highly-contagious FLiRT variants spread rapidly throughout the country.

It is feared new strains have already become dominant after a surge in the number of people testing positive and being hospitalised. Experts say they could be behind behind a sudden 21% rise in cases and the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) said there has been a sharp increase in Covid cases week on week

More info here: All the latest Covid symptoms as new FLiRT variants hit UK

Now I'm curious about not hearing of anyone with Covid. Is it because they are doing what a LOT of people here in the states are doing, which is to call it a cold? I'm hearing a lot of "It's just allergies", or "It's just a summer cold", etc. People aren't even considering that it could be Covid anymore! Not to mention that there are a LOT of asymptomatic cases. It makes me want to bang my head against the wall.

In this systematic review and meta-analysis of 95 unique studies with 29 776 306 individuals undergoing testing, the pooled percentage of asymptomatic infections was 0.25% among the tested population and 40.50% among the population with confirmed COVID-19.

Gemmie again... 40+% is a LOT of asymptomatic cases. Like..... mindblowingly a lot. And if I recall, one of you posted higher percentages upthread than that JAMA report.

Now that you've found out first hand that covid hasn't gone away (and never will, IMO), and you found our group (I hope you'll stay. :)), I hope you're at least getting vaccinated. While it doesn't prevent infection, it does help against severe illness, hospitalization and death.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back